Thread: I'm lost!

Community Member

Default I'm lost!

I don't know what to do or where to go next.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the zones. There doesn't seem to have proper quest hubs but instead the zones cover a wide range of quest levels that you're supposed to do several times. Am I right?

Even inside the "wilderness areas" and certain dungeons, there are more dungeons that require more level than its parent ones. Why is that?

Also, when using the LFG tool I use to join groups that I have no idea where are they. Sometimes the LFG party has a recognizable name (House X, market, etc.) but most of the time (I'm lvl 10) I don't know where is it.

Am I missing something?

You can press the 'P' key to open up your quest list. This will show you all the quests in the game from level 1, up to two levels above your character's current level. If you hover your pointer over the name of a quest, a little tooltip will appear that will show you which zone the quest is acquired in, and what NPC you need to talk to in order to get the quest bestowed to you.

The quest list will also show you the progress you've made in each quest (the highest difficulty setting you've completed the quest on). You can also use the sorters at the top of the list to organize the list by zone, so, say for example you're in House Kundarak, and you want to know all the quests you can do there, sort the list by zone and it'll reorganize the list so that all the House K quests are grouped together.

Unfortunately, the list wont show you the different available quests by account status. So if you're a premium or f2p player, you just kinda have to learn which ones are f2p quests. This can be made ALOT easier by visiting http://ddowiki.com/page/Guide_to_Free_to_Play.

Hope that was helpful.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Community Member

Thank you for your kind advice. The guide seems quite useful.

I already knew about the adventure compendium, but sometimes it isn't enough. I'm lost since level 4. It might be because of my account status. I use to buy adventure packs as I need them. I even bought the last expansion but I doubt that I'm going to see it.

Does questing feels smoother for VIPs?

Smoother? We actually get gold glittering gnomes who lead us from quest to quest, providing advice and complementing us on our gear choices... Other than that, it is nice just being able to walk up to any non-flagging quest and just run it...
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastery404 View Post
    I don't know what to do or where to go next.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the zones. There doesn't seem to have proper quest hubs but instead the zones cover a wide range of quest levels that you're supposed to do several times. Am I right?

Even inside the "wilderness areas" and certain dungeons, there are more dungeons that require more level than its parent ones. Why is that?

Also, when using the LFG tool I use to join groups that I have no idea where are they. Sometimes the LFG party has a recognizable name (House X, market, etc.) but most of the time (I'm lvl 10) I don't know where is it.

Am I missing something?
    What server are you on? If you are on Cannith then I have a level 13 character atm so I can show you round and answer questions in game if you like? Just let me know my toons are called Horlath and Kurack (those are the only two I play), if you are not on Cannith then no worries. Stick with it though it will get easier as you get to know your way around

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    What server are you on? If you are on Cannith then I have a level 13 character atm so I can show you round and answer questions in game if you like? Just let me know my toons are called Horlath and Kurack (those are the only two I play), if you are not on Cannith then no worries. Stick with it though it will get easier as you get to know your way around

Stoner81.
    Okay, so that's a better answer. Find someone to show you around. I can help on Thelanis, if you can be on later EDST.
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Dont worry When I started to play I felt overwhelmed when I entered Marketplace and saw so many teleport/gates to so many different places from there.
    And here I am after above 2 years. You will find yourself around.
    If Cannith - you can PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastery404 View Post
    Thank you for your kind advice. The guide seems quite useful.

I already knew about the adventure compendium, but sometimes it isn't enough. I'm lost since level 4. It might be because of my account status. I use to buy adventure packs as I need them. I even bought the last expansion but I doubt that I'm going to see it.

Does questing feels smoother for VIPs?
    Tip: if you feel lost so soon, don't rush on buying an adventure pack if you are not sure on the levels for the quests that adventure pack has to offer. Its very easy to level up to level 13 ~ 14 with free quests, then you can buy some adventure packs for the levels higher than that. If you eventually reach 20+ levels, you can TR (start again at level 1 with the same character, but stronger) then you can buy low and mid level adventure packs so you play some different stuff and don't repeat your game so much.

In any case, wherever you are (House Kundarak, Phiarlan, Jorasco, etc.), you can just roam around freely and pick any quest you see available to you. Can't pick a too high level quest, the game system doesn't allow it. And its up to you, to do, or not to do, a certain aquired quest.

And have fun, mostly

chat window tip: press ENTER key and write in /advice message or /a message; your message will be displayed in the advice channel with a good chance of somebody answering you with tips or sending you a /tell with instructions, as you need.
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

Community Member

Thank you all for your help. I'm playing in Arganossen with a level 8+2 cleric / fighter.

As for the adventure packs, I use to check their level range before buying them.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Don't get too discouraged; it's mostly a matter of becoming familiar with finding your way around and learning the acronyms & nicknames for places. The wiki is your best guide; start with this list of locations and quest packs to help get the lay of the land. DDO doesn't really use "quest hubs" like other MMOs, or at least not within Stormreach itself. Quest packs typically have a staging area which contains quest givers, a wilderness to explore where the quests are, and usually some sort of flagging mechanic for the final quest / raid. E.g., in Ruins of Gianthold, Gianthold Tor is the staging area which leads directly to the wilderness; you need to complete the first three listed quests in order to run "Gianthold Tor" (pre-raid) then "Reaver's Fate" (raid).
    Last edited by unbongwah; 06-18-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default To Mastery

You have been playing roughly two years by your forum join date.

It mostly comes from experience on knowing where quests are. One of the first things I did, after I figured out I was clueless, was run around to the houses and see what quests are where.

I learned that by pressing P and sorting by House Favor I could figure out that most House K quests are in House Kundarrak. Same goes for House P, House D, and House J. Luckily, the quest portals are MOSTLY static, unless Turbine chooses to move them around on us.

Most low level quests are in Korthos, Harbor, and Marketplace.

I ran around to every quest giver and took the quest. Now, you can only take quests that you are level ready for.

Once I had the quest, I could then press M(for map) and look for the flashing icon or a quest icon on the map and hold my mouse over it to see if it is the quest.

The next trick will be to know if the quest is a P2P or a F2P.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Community Member

Cool

I joined DDO 2 years ago, but I'm playing on and off since then mostly because I had some discrepancies and misunderstandings with the way some stuff works.

After pointing me out how the quest system works the truth is that I'm way less lost. Thanks again for that. The problem was that I wasn't familiar enough with the UI (which by the way could benefit from a facelift in my opinion).

level 10 can be a tricky level. Some of the quests are actually on islands, not at Stormreach.

Depending on the quest, some of them can be on Ataraxia Island, some of them at Mechnectarun desert, some of them on Sorrowdusk Island, and some on Restless Isles.

Check them on the quest list on the DDO wiki to be sure; and some of them actually at House Phiarlan, Threnal Ruins or north of it to Necropolis II.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility