Default Anyone else unable to find traps in VoN 2 & 3?

I experienced this earlier today...

Soloing VoN (elite) to flag for the raid on my new Bladeforged Arti (1 pally/14 Arti). I finish the arena, then go to part 2... When I get into the maze I get all the warnings of traps but when I search I cannot find the boxes. The traps appear but no way to disable them..

I complete part 2 and move on to part 3, same thing happens with the sonic traps at the first door. I recall out since I'm not the type to zerg traps, particularly when soloing.

It's been a while since I've run the VoN chain and I noticed several changes... You no longer climb up to the balcony to get the waiting room chest -or- use the key to go through the vault door in part 1, and the textures seem to have been given a makeover in part 2, not to mention that the path through the Khyber Jungle has changed quite a bit. Was that recent? Or is what I saw part of the bug everyone's talking about now?

Please reply so I can either bug report or ignore it.

Thanks.
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I complete part 2 and move on to part 3, same thing happens with the sonic traps at the first door. I recall out since I'm not the type to zerg traps, particularly when soloing.
    The box for that trap is on the other side of the door, you have to run through the trap first. It's been awhile since I ran VON2 so I'm not sure on those traps could be something similar.

Community Member

It's been a while since I've run the VoN chain and I noticed several changes... You no longer climb up to the balcony to get the waiting room chest -or- use the key to go through the vault door in part 1, and the textures seem to have been given a makeover in part 2, not to mention that the path through the Khyber Jungle has changed quite a bit. Was that recent? Or is what I saw part of the bug everyone's talking about now?
    I think that it has been quite awhile since you have run the VoN quests. The waiting room in part 1 was changed because people were using it as a perching spot in Elite runs to kill the mobs with no risk. I don't remember when exactly, but it was quite a long time before U14. As far as the Jungles goes, that has not changed at all.

The traps in the maze area of Part 2 are often spotted through walls, but the boxes are not locatable until you get to the correct area. The part 3 trap requires you to get through it before you can search out the box. I hope that this comes in time for you to still enjoy your day in DDO!

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    The box for that trap is on the other side of the door, you have to run through the trap first. It's been awhile since I ran VON2 so I'm not sure on those traps could be something similar.
    Not to point out the obvious, but if you look at my forum join date you'd see that I've been through all but the highest level traps in the game at least once (as a trapper, no less) and know all the likely locations 8^)

Seriously, I searched in both quests standing directly in front of where the boxes normally appear within disabling distance so I won't have to move to get them...

These just are not appearing.

With regards to VON 1, iirc the waiting room and use of the key to open the door were changed when the series was changed to a permaflag. Since the quest completes when you pick up the axe now, there is no need to go through the door to give it to Dirge.

I haven't taken a trapper into the series in a long time, but in VON 3, I have always seen the boxes at the first trap detected just by searching at the door before opening it.

I can agree with spotting the traps through walls in VON 2, but it seems like the trap types have been changed lately.
    Attackbeast, Jahon, Serana, Johanus, Vacha, Arcee, Urkneecaps, Tanusha - Proud Officer of the Cult of Ryliegh - Khyber

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Not to point out the obvious, but if you look at my forum join date you'd see that I've been through all but the highest level traps in the game at least once (as a trapper, no less) and know all the likely locations 8^)

Seriously, I searched in both quests standing directly in front of where the boxes normally appear within disabling distance so I won't have to move to get them...

These just are not appearing.
    Well you said you hadn't run them in awhile and that you didn't like to zerg through traps I took that to mean you might not remember where the boxes are and may not have searched the other side of the traps.

I just took my rogue in VON 3 on heroic elite, my rogue is level 25 so I stripped all his gear off. With a search DC of 38 I was able to find the boxes on the first trap. So they are still there and have a DC of 38 or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    Well you said you hadn't run them in awhile and that you didn't like to zerg through traps I took that to mean you might not remember where the boxes are and may not have searched the other side of the traps.

I just took my rogue in VON 3 on heroic elite, my rogue is level 25 so I stripped all his gear off. With a search DC of 38 I was able to find the boxes on the first trap. So they are still there and have a DC of 38 or less.
    Ok, I guess they just bumped the difficulty a bit then. I just checked my Alt who has a search of 25. This was an attempt to see If I could build a decent custom Arty using the only Iconic template currently available, which is of course a Pally, hence the one level.

The set of gear that comes bound to the Alt is mostly all encompassing, a minimum plus 4 to DEX and plus 5 on most of the rest of the stats... There are also good skill bumps as well, including +13 spot, but nothing for search. I just remember running the chain at level on elite and not having problems.

Thanks for helping me point out to myself that I didn't get an automatic insta-buff to everything with this alt...

Community Member

Ok, I guess they just bumped the difficulty a bit then. I just checked my Alt who has a search of 25. This was an attempt to see If I could build a decent custom Arty using the only Iconic template currently available, which is of course a Pally, hence the one level.

The set of gear that comes bound to the Alt is mostly all encompassing, a minimum plus 4 to DEX and plus 5 on most of the rest of the stats... There are also good skill bumps as well, including +13 spot, but nothing for search. I just remember running the chain at level on elite and not having problems.

Thanks for helping me point out to myself that I didn't get an automatic insta-buff to everything with this alt...
    I find that rogue skills require at, or near, best useable gear as well as maxed skills, decent stats and generally available buffs to hit them on elite at level. So Von3 elite (level 11) would be around 14(skills) +4 (18ish int) +13 (gear) +~2 for heroism, skill boost, voice, etc. or around 33 DC's for search, disable a bit higher due to tool bonuses and getting a d20 roll. This leaves some wiggle room for how you get there, but still takes an effort. It is elite after all.

I ran VON 2 and VON3 today with a fellow guildie and while my trapper is an undergeared 1st life human Arti 2, Rouge 10, we had no troubles to find and disable the traps on Elite.

There are 2 possible reasons you have not been able to find & disable the traps, though - most of them are after the traps (you have to run through and disable afterwards), or the BF needs better gear to be able to search the traps. I have had the impression that especially my WF Arties always seem to be lacking on the search side of things, even with INT maxed out.
    Last edited by Nestroy; 06-16-2013 at 07:00 AM.

Community Member

I experienced this earlier today...

Soloing VoN (elite) to flag for the raid on my new Bladeforged Arti (1 pally/14 Arti). I finish the arena, then go to part 2... When I get into the maze I get all the warnings of traps but when I search I cannot find the boxes. The traps appear but no way to disable them..

Please reply so I can either bug report or ignore it.

Thanks.
    great, so u can spot em, but can't search em? at least amazing

soloing em, at lvl, the only life i could spot em was 1 druid-rogue life, next 3 arti lives (or 1st of rogue lives) never could spot em

but search? at 15 u can use a 15 item, 18 in ranks, and your int mod

and can't find em? looks like u have put 1 point in search, useful for epics if you have the gear, useless for heroics no matter the gear

in fact this rogue life im finding and disabling w/o swapping gear, but iirc have blown up 1 box or 2 at beginning

if u're going jugg don't worry, is quite common being unable to do traps

Some of the boxes are far enough away from the traps that you search out the trap and not find the box. Try moving around until you get another trap warning, and search again. I've used this technique successfully to find the boxes in VoN runs without further issues.
    There is no free lunch.

I figured out my problem...

I've played Artys exclusively since they were introduced, and mostly Rogues before that since about the second year of the game. All of those have been built from the ground up until the Veteran 1 & 2 starting points were introduced. All of those Alts started as the intended class, and with the Vet Alts started with class appropriate gear, which was upgraded as the Alt was levcelled.

I built this alt to start out at level 15 but as stated in the OP Bladeforged right now are intended to be Pallys, not Artys. Therefore they get Pally appropriate gear. Although with the custom build I assigned the stat points I usually use, I didn't take into account the gearset was not intended for a trapper.

The 26 search I had at the time of the OP was Base 18 + 6 ability + 1 feat + 1 Epic Spider mask. Swapping out the +2 attack bonus/+10% melee gauntlets with a pair of +15 search gloves fixed my problem.

As soon as I can figure out where to put an Int item that will happen... 22 isn't the best I've reached by level 15. I hope that the other Iconic characters provide more variety. Heck, I'd be happy with a second PrE for Artys.