Community Member

Default Solo Ranger/Rogue build? :)

Hello

I'm completely new to the game and would like to play an elf ranger but I'm not sure about the paths that you can choose, and might prefer multiclass. The problem is that I have no understanding of how to build a character even though I've spent days reading stuff on the wiki and the forums. It's just too complicated for me, what with having very little education in math and English not being my main language, so I'd mess up my character completely :/

It's quite likely that the way I like to play is quite common though, so maybe someone has made a complete step by step build/guide already?

What I'm looking for:

Elf, F2P and not taking into account gear or tomes or anything from the store.

Be able to use a longbow quite well, and be as good as possible at fighting with two weapons (some type of elegant swords). I read something about 18 levels in ranger giving Ranger Tempest III?

I really like the thought of being able to open locks and find hidden passages and take care of traps myself.

I'd like to be able to solo well, be self sufficient, and maybe not having to do all dungeons on Easy or Normal.

Would be nice to be able to heal myself when I'm out soloing, but maybe it's not that important?

Also, it's silly but I enjoy being able to jump high in games, but I read somewhere that you get a buff that raises your jump and to not put any points into the jump skill because of it?

I've seen mentioned to start as a Rogue and then the rest as a Ranger with one level of something else, perhaps Fighter, in the middle somewhere.
    I'm hoping there's a complete step by step guide out there somewhere though. I found this page: (LINK) but I can't follow it since I don't really understand what I'm reading. I really need a step by step build guide for what to do at each level :/

Has anybody come across one that fits me?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nectarine View Post
    Hello
    I've seen mentioned to start as a Rogue and then the rest as a Ranger with one level of something else, perhaps Fighter, in the middle somewhere.
    I'm hoping there's a complete step by step guide out there somewhere though. I found this page: (LINK) but I can't follow it since I don't really understand what I'm reading. I really need a step by step build guide for what to do at each level :/

Has anybody come across one that fits me?
    Well. As for ranger builds for beginners, unbongwah's thread is pretty much the place to go, at https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/277496 ... there's an elf version in the second post in that thread. And with more step-by-step instructions too.

(Although, I'm told dwarf or even human might be more newbie-friendly than elf, but anyway... I have three of the dwarf version going on different servers.)

Now, ranger isn't anything like "completely" self-sufficient, but if your definition of "solo" allows a hireling/NPC, if you hire a cleric to follow your ranger around it will make things easier.

For greater self-sufficiency you may want to look at, for example, https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/332212 (in addition to having one very self-sufficient build, that thread has a lot of analysis on what you need to be self-sufficient) and do something like that with your second character slot...

(edit) Oh, one thing more - most of the time, build plans seem to only include enhancements that you should have "by then" and not for each level. They also depend on your play style and what gear you may have.

Also, enhancements can be reset for a very moderate cost every 3 real-time days, so you can experiment... which is a good idea really.
    Last edited by mna; 06-25-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Community Member

Wow! You found me the perfect links and gave lots of info and good advice! I really appreciate you helping me out like this so I can play DDO too. It looks so fun!

Those hirelings seem very useful, and it's good to know that the enhancements can be changed

Now I'm going to read through everything while creating my first character and jump into the game

Thank you again for all the help!