Default Turbine Des: If you people to play epic . . .

Hory Clap I cant' spell. . . . meant to say

Turbine DEVS: If you want people to play epic . . . make epic worth playing.

The below quote reveals everything we need to know. The current devs are sore because "their" new game isn't as loved as the old content.

Quote Originally Posted by Piloto View Post
    . . .Allowing Heroic TR to preserve ED XP sort of short-circuits the system, providing a weird incentive to avoid epic level play.
    This has been gone over a zillion times on a zillion threads. But that's the TLDR version of it.

Make the end-game compelling to play, right now it's not. This is your fault so fix it. Don't destroy Heroic TR to force people to play content they don't like, leaving the game is an easier option.
    Last edited by Teh_Troll; 06-14-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Can't spell, nerd-rage numbing my brain

Community Member

I dont get that at all from that quote? Epic pretty much plays like Heroic, gameplay wise. Its not like you're suddenly forced to play Tetris to earn Epic XP. Heck, the last big Epic content pack WAS the same gameplay, because it was Gianthold...

All I think Piloto was commenting on was the fact that there's a disincentive to waste time with Epic levels if you're still running through TR cycles. Once you hit 20, the path splits in two....one road leads to Epic, another leads back to Heroic for another TR life.

The devs just dont want there to be two different games within DDO, they want players to utilize all the content on all their characters.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I dont get that at all from that quote? Epic pretty much plays like Heroic, gameplay wise. Its not like you're suddenly forced to play Tetris to earn Epic XP. Heck, the last big Epic content pack WAS the same gameplay, because it was Gianthold...
    ...... This is so far from the truth that I don't even know where to begin. Hyper inflated MOB stats and insane power creep from EDs makes for an entirely different play experience. They are only superficially similar.

That does not intrinsically make one style any better or worse than the other. But they do play out quite a bit differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Hory Clap I cant' spell. . . . meant to say

Turbine DEVS: If you want people to play epic . . . make epic worth playing.

The below quote reveals everything we need to know. The current devs are sore because "their" new game isn't as loved as the old content.

This has been gone over a zillion times on a zillion threads. But that's the TLDR version of it.

Make the end-game compelling to play, right now it's not. This is your fault so fix it. Don't destroy Heroic TR to force people to play content they don't like, leaving the game is an easier option.
    Well there is a proven history that when the new sheriff comes to town, he doesn't want to bother dealing with the half-finished stuff that is already there. He doesn't care the finish busting up that gang's low level people. He wants HIS stuff to be the new thing. He wants to bust some NEW nefarious top villain to gain the adoration and love of the masses!

This TR thing is no different. Some OTHER guy designed the old TR process. This new guy decided that he wants people to like THEIR process.

Same with guild/augment slots.
    Same with loot.
    Same with quests.

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    Well there is a proven history that when the new sheriff comes to town, he doesn't want to bother dealing with the half-finished stuff that is already there. He doesn't care the finish busting up that gang's low level people. He wants HIS stuff to be the new thing. He wants to bust some NEW nefarious top villain to gain the adoration and love of the masses!

This TR thing is no different. Some OTHER guy designed the old TR process. This new guy decided that he wants people to like THEIR process.

Same with guild/augment slots.
    Same with loot.
    Same with quests.
    It really looks like it comes down to pitiful vanity doesn't it?

It really looks like it comes down to pitiful vanity doesn't it?
    Gotta get that validation somehow. "Look they're all playing MY content, not the old stuff! SEE HOW GOOD I AM AT MY JOB YOU GUYTHS!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    Gotta get that validation somehow. "Look they're all playing MY content, not the old stuff! SEE HOW GOOD I AM AT MY JOB YOU GUYTHS!!!"
    The content isn't the issue (talking quests here, not raids) as the quest since U13 are all excellent. LOVE the Lords of dust chain (NOT happy when Servants got nerfed), the MOTU stuff is great, LOVE high road, can tolerate the Druids chain, Epic Gianthold is wonderful.

I'll have to give the content team a 10 out of 10 for this. The quests are wonderful.

So why aren't people running them?

- The entire flawed nature of the ED grind. Without shears you spend most of your time weak and at times worthless. Pretty much makes the best way of handling that grind repeated Rusted blades or farmhouse, or anything else like that. An hour of rusted blades is more XP than you'll get in a week of questing. In Heroic TR you're always getting more powerful which is fun. In the roller-coaster that is the ED farm you're NOT always getting more powerful. It's not fun.

- Loot drops suck. I'm sorry, getting a full 6-way skunk in EE TOR is terrible. We got skunked this week in EE FoT . . . the second best item in the chest was the power-word kill scroll I pulled. Please tell me my incentive to bother pursuing this loot . . . that's only marginally better than what I already have . . . when I know level 28 loot is around the corner anyway.

- the raids suck. CiTW was always a long grinding boring bucket of fail, good weapons worth pursuing. I have hundreds of completion probably 50 of which were on Elite (no more reason to run that). But heck, at least the loot is decent. FoT . . . was a great fun raid until they put in that stupid BOOOM! garbage that means pugs are still likely to fail. it's also so full off annoying ********, too much "ZOMG! Your'e dead" stupidity that's the opposite of fun. The saves debuffs are retarded. The being FTS'd are any time is retarded. There insanely high DCs (a 70 reflex failes) is retarded. The whole raid is a big bucket of un-fun that's only run for comms as the loot sucks anyway.

All other raids not worth running as the loot is out-dated.

So people get bored at cap.

TRing is fun, end-game's not. This is a game and Turbine needs to remember that fun comes first.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAccess View Post
    ...... This is so far from the truth that I don't even know where to begin. Hyper inflated MOB stats and insane power creep from EDs makes for an entirely different play experience. They are only superficially similar.
    Ehhh.... just in EE. If you're happy ignoring EE, and doing stuff on normal and hard, Faerun quests are easy. Easier than farming IQ hard or elite for xp 18-20 "hyper inflated mobwise."

So why aren't people running them?
    Some more options:

- All the bind to character stuff is killing vault space, and some people (me) are opting out of farming much that is BtC.
    - The tiered loot system is a nice idea, but it would be good if there was an upgrade path to EE gear. So you don't end up farming 2-3 of the same item, or don't feel like you're wasting your time on non EE runs, or to give players more long term goals (that don't take up triple bag space, jfc guys! bag space! I have maxed out bank and bags and the BtC stuff has gotten ridiculous. Hell, let me store it on other chars).