Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Default Needle red slot, good bypass or acid damage?

I'm trying to decide what to put in the red slot on my Needle for my pure artificer. I don't need any sort of spell power, so I'm debating between good bypass or acid damage.

As an arti, slotting good bypass would allow me to break any dr that matters and use Needle almost exclusively. But this would be most useful against devils, demons, and several (older) raid bosses. So acid seems to be more beneficial for the current endgame (GH), although I play a variety of content. And it's anyone's guess what the expansion will bring.

The build is a pure, int based arti using Fury as the main destiny. A link to the build is in my sig if more info is needed. The only difference is that I have not updated the epic destiny info.

Thoughts, comments, opinions? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

I've got a Sovereign Acid augment slotted in my Needle. As you noted, the lack of DR bypassing at current end game doesn't really warrant wasting it on Good alignment bypass.

If you are really concerned about having a weapon handy just for DR situations, try the following (I use a longbow version of it on my monkcher):

Get an alchemical heavy repeater. Start upgrading it by making the base type Silver. For Tier 1, choose Fire if you want damage from Seeker, or Earth for crowd control. For Tier 2, choose Fire to bypass Good DR (makes the weapon Flametouched). For Tier 3, choose Acid or Cold for splash damage. Slot the Red slot with Adamantine. Because you are in Fury, you can choose to have the Cold Iron bypass ability as part of your active destiny. You now have a repeater that will bypass Good + Silver/Cold Iron/Adamantine DR that can be boosted with Deadly Weapons for +1W damage, and has either +10 Seeker (dps) or Earthgrab crowd control (survivability).

Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post
    I'm trying to decide what to put in the red slot on my Needle for my pure artificer. I don't need any sort of spell power, so I'm debating between good bypass or acid damage.

As an arti, slotting good bypass would allow me to break any dr that matters and use Needle almost exclusively. But this would be most useful against devils, demons, and several (older) raid bosses. So acid seems to be more beneficial for the current endgame (GH), although I play a variety of content. And it's anyone's guess what the expansion will bring.

The build is a pure, int based arti using Fury as the main destiny. A link to the build is in my sig if more info is needed. The only difference is that I have not updated the epic destiny info.

Thoughts, comments, opinions? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Frets warchanter ¤ Incise ranger ¤ Tiagan druid ¤ Carpal monk ¤ Thwart swashbuckler ¤ Humbucking trapper ¤ Hemolytic paladin ¤ Coercive warlock ¤ Unhealer cleric
    Leader, ~Elite Raiders~ of Khyber ...

You could always be greedy and go for a second needle

Otherwise, you're an arti. Between house D bolts and your own buffs, you can break any 2 types of DR (other than stuff like Slash which you never had hope of breaking anyway). Of course, without some big quivers (like quiver of alacrity, where you can hold 1500 each of cold iron, silver and adamantine bolts), the house D bolts can get tedious.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeebaNeighba View Post

Otherwise, you're an arti. Between house D bolts and your own buffs, you can break any 2 types of DR (other than stuff like Slash which you never had hope of breaking anyway). Of course, without some big quivers (like quiver of alacrity, where you can hold 1500 each of cold iron, silver and adamantine bolts), the house D bolts can get tedious.
    Yeah I wouldnt even worry about the few cases you need to break Good DR....if their DR/Good is high, you can always switch Deadly Weapons for Aligned. Otherwise, just punch through it with the extra +1[w] - so at most you're talking about 1d10 difference (1d12 for Needle?).

That 1d10 is the same as your Acid ruby, right? So a Needle with Aligned (good) and an Acid augment should do almost the same damage as a Needle with Deadly Weapons and a Good augment...the only difference is the Acid damage doesnt get multiplied by Crit, so your Adrenalines wont be quite as spectacular...

Also, you mentioned you're an INT-focused Arti - are you casting a lot? Because, remember, when you put a Spellpower ruby on a weapon, it becomes an Implement and gives you a boost to your Universal Spell Power, too...and for Needle, with a +8(?) enhancment, thats noticeable. Dont know if that would be useful at all to your build, though.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I still have 9 coms to get, so the expansion will probably be out before I can fill the slot anyway. I think I'll just see what the expansion brings before I make a decision. As of now, though, I'm leaning towards acid damage.

Quote Originally Posted by LawfulGood View Post
    If you are really concerned about having a weapon handy just for DR situations, try the following (I use a longbow version of it on my monkcher):
    That's an interesting suggestion for the alchemical, but it's not so much that I need a DR weapon. I've already got a repeater for every situation, but Needle is obviously the superior weapon and making it able to bypass the most common types of DR would simply make it more versatile.

I think I'd prefer a frontal lobotomy

I've tried using the house D bolts before and found it was just too much hassle to be worth it. If they are in the quiver, they are auto-equipped when you need more bolts, usually when you don't need that type. While in the quiver, you can't hotbar select them to equip them. If they're not in the quiver, they're taking up inventory space. And I don't have the time/patience to go stock up and store them in my inventory before a particular quest/raid. If they could be stored in the quiver, equipped from the hotbar, and bolts not in the quiver were auto-equipped first, then I would be all for this option.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Yeah I wouldnt even worry about the few cases you need to break Good DR....if their DR/Good is high, you can always switch Deadly Weapons for Aligned. Otherwise, just punch through it with the extra +1[w] - so at most you're talking about 1d10 difference (1d12 for Needle?).

That 1d10 is the same as your Acid ruby, right? So a Needle with Aligned (good) and an Acid augment should do almost the same damage as a Needle with Deadly Weapons and a Good augment...the only difference is the Acid damage doesnt get multiplied by Crit, so your Adrenalines wont be quite as spectacular...
    You are correct, it is a minor difference in damage output. I'm just looking to optimize.

Also, you mentioned you're an INT-focused Arti - are you casting a lot? Because, remember, when you put a Spellpower ruby on a weapon, it becomes an Implement and gives you a boost to your Universal Spell Power, too...and for Needle, with a +8(?) enhancment, thats noticeable. Dont know if that would be useful at all to your build, though.
    With battle engineer, it actually becomes a +10 enhancement, which provides 30 universal spell power. But I've already got an Adamantine Cloak of the Dragon which provides an 18 implement bonus so I'd only be gaining 12 spell power, which is why I mentioned in the OP that I don't need the spell power. I'd rather have the damage from either good bypass or acid.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

Community Member

If they're not in the quiver, they're taking up inventory space.
    Its not a perfect solution, but you CAN just keep a quiver non-equipped in your inventory to function as a Bolt Bag. Large Thin Quiver would let you keep 3 stacks of 1000 bolts (Silver, Cold Iron, Adamantine?) in an inventory-friendly way, but AFAIK wouldn't auto-equip them when your current ammo runs out. LTQ is a lot cheaper, relatively, than a (probably second) Quiver of Alacrity, just for that purpose

You'd still have to go in and manually extract the bolts you needed as you need them, but you should know as you enter a quest which bolts you might need and when.

Its not a perfect solution, but you CAN just keep a quiver non-equipped in your inventory to function as a Bolt Bag. Large Thin Quiver would let you keep 3 stacks of 1000 bolts (Silver, Cold Iron, Adamantine?) in an inventory-friendly way, but AFAIK wouldn't auto-equip them when your current ammo runs out. LTQ is a lot cheaper, relatively, than a (probably second) Quiver of Alacrity, just for that purpose

You'd still have to go in and manually extract the bolts you needed as you need them, but you should know as you enter a quest which bolts you might need and when.
    That's a not too inconvenient workaround. I will have to try this. Thanks for the suggestion.

Community Member

That's a not too inconvenient workaround. I will have to try this. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I do something similar on my tempest/kensei. I have quivering quiver equipped since it automatically restocks itself. Then in my inventory I have a couple of large house D quivers stocked with durable, +3 durable, and cold iron (will swap this to silver soon since I always run in fury nowadays).

When I run out of xoriat arrows I swap in 300 of each durable and another 100 in ammo slot. By the time those 700 run out (2800 shots on avg?) I'm usually restocked for xoriat arrows. If I need DR breaking I swap those in. I have a third quiver filled with holy arrows I've stockpiled just in case.