Community Member

Default ranger 14/fighter 6

G'day. I'm thinking about multiclassing my ranger, who's currently lvl 14, and finish him out with fighter lvls. 32 point build. Str and dex in low 30s while buffed. I currently use deepwood sniper, with manyshot+rogue dil+improved crit+improved precise shot can do quite a bit of damage to a lot of mobs lined up. A little dissapointed with the rangers atk speed and normal damage without manyshot. I was thinking about picking up the fighter lvls, go for some cleaves with slashing imrpoved crit. Is the ranger prestige 25% atk speed worth making a pure ranger? I'm thinking if I go fighter I'll be able to pick up some melee, go tempest around lvl 18 and use the bow when manyshot recharges. Opinions?

G'day fellow aussie.

Usually it is best to have multi classing figured out from the start. In this case, however i think we should be ok.

Ranger capstone is buggy iirc, that alone is not worth making a pure ranger. Kensai 1 is fairly mediocre and is not worth mixng in, as 1 more ranger level will give you another favoured enemy, and increase all your favoured enemy bonuses so i reccomend at least 15 ranger. From here, you have 2 options.

1: 4 fighter and 1 X levels (X could be either monk, or barb if nonlawful. nothing else is useful at this stage)

2: 3 ranger 2 fighter so you can get tempest PRE Rank 3

The problem is, that you need dodge, mobility and spring attack for tempest 1, and one of lightning reflexes, Oversized two weapon fighting, two wepon defence or two weapon blocking for tempest 3.

To figure out the best way to go, we'll need some information from you:

Current feats (and what level you took them, automatic feats dont matter)
    Base (+tomes, if any) Strength, Dex and Con (we can asume 19+ dex since it appears you already have imp precise shot)
    Have you used the free feat swap from Fred?
    Shortling (20 rogue) wither others leveling. "One Dwarf Army"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthesponge View Post
    well a clown getting violated by a rabid duck may be sillier, but not by much.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Deepwood Sniper is the worst of the rgr PrEs; AA is significantly better. The good news is you can switch to AA next level by taking Mental Toughness @ lvl 15 and resetting your enhs; all you lose is the plat you spend to reset enhs. The bad news is even w/AA & rgr capstone - which doesn't provide as big a boost to fire rate as it's supposed to (~12.5% instead of 25%) - base fire rate of bows w/out Manyshot is disappointing. This is why classic AA builds should mix TWF w/archery; your DPS is just that much higher.

Or, as Sogrin says, you can do a lot of feat swapping (or LR) to switch to Tempest; trading ranged DPS for melee DPS, as you might expect. As a general rule it's a bad idea to switch your build mid-level; but post what you've got and we'll see what we can do.

Community Member

19, 16, 16, 10, 12, 8 base stats.
    Half elf, dil - rogue
    Toughness, Pointblank shot, Improved crit ranged, improved crit slashing. + ranger feats
    Was going to grab power attack and go for cleaves.
    I'd rather not drop improved crits for melee or ranged. Using items with base 18'20 crit range makes for a decent proc %.
    Improved precise shot is really nice, and I can dish out massive amounts of dps with manyshot and knowing where mobs are grouped. Destiny levels. Grandmaster 5, Unyielding 3, Legendary 2. Im thinking the specials for +w dmg in the epics for melee are a bit nicer than the shiradi destiny?
    Thanks for the info.

Community Member

+2 tome all. +3 wis, +3 cha.
    weapon focus, ranged. at lvl 6. Which could be the feat to be traded for AA mental toughness.
    I like the deepwood double ranged point blank effect. I also like the bluff effect from snipe, with the rogue dil and sneak attack damage. If i start saving ´+1-4 items, i can craft the arrows from cannith, with 70s crafting skill, just need to do it So I don't know if I want to go arcane archer.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

PBS & WF:R are pre-reqs for both DWS and AA; so don't drop either if you want to switch to AA.