Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Incorrect; in fact Emp Heal is the only meta which will boost your auras, just as it's the only one which effects Heal & Mass Heal.
    Right - had that swapped. However...
    1 extra metamagic; Force I enh (+40 Spellpower to Blade Barrier and I think Cometfall); lvl 1 arcane spells like Expeditious Retreat, Shield, etc.; and free access to arcane wands like Blur & Stoneskin (helpful if you don't have UMD or a friendly arcane caster handy). The first two are enough to justify the splash, IMHO; the other two are pure gravy.
    From my experience (in actually casting BB on a divine and using it with both an impulse item and without), this doesn't look like it actually works. Which is why Superior Laceration Lore exists. This was true as of about 3 months ago so before advising that add on I'd suggest actually checking it. Wasting a level for a metamagic you don't really need to further dilute the potency of your build (you lose a level 9 spell for basically no reason) just seems like unsound advice. If something has changed that now lets force bonuses affect BB again (because clearly they did work before), I haven't heard about it.

Either way I still think the WIZ level is a waste, you get access to wands that you can buy pots of - so what. When you try to wrap too many functions into a build you end up with inefficiencies, all a tank cleric needs is bursty/aura healing and the intimidate to keep attention on them, quicken for mass spells and to bypass having jack squat for concentration. ****ering around with 1 level of wizard just to cast level 1 spells that you don't need (or really even benefit from) or throwing 2 paladin levels instead of fighter (robbing yourself of feats) just doesn't make for a solid framework in my experience and opinion.
    Last edited by Firepants; 06-19-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Firepants View Post
    From my experience (in actually casting BB on a divine and using it with both an impulse item and without), this doesn't look like it actually works. Which is why Superior Laceration Lore exists. This was true as of about 3 months ago so before advising that add on I'd suggest actually checking it. Wasting a level for a metamagic you don't really need to further dilute the potency of your build (you lose a level 9 spell for basically no reason) just seems like unsound advice. If something has changed that now lets force bonuses affect BB again (because clearly they did work before), I haven't heard about it.
    Just to clarify: Impulse items do NOT boost BB; you need either Potency or Laceration, as you say. But Force enhancements WILL boost BB and other untyped dmg spells. [It's just another one of those inconsistent rules / naming conventions you learn to cope with in D&D. ] Since clerics don't get any bonuses to BB dmg, a wiz splash is a simple way of boosting her dmg; so would a sorc or arty splash, but those don't provide a bonus metamagic.
    When you try to wrap too many functions into a build you end up with inefficiencies, all a tank cleric needs is bursty/aura healing and the intimidate to keep attention on them, quicken for mass spells and to bypass having jack squat for concentration. ****ering around with 1 level of wizard just to cast level 1 spells that you don't need (or really even benefit from) or throwing 2 paladin levels instead of fighter (robbing yourself of feats) just doesn't make for a solid framework in my experience and opinion.
    My build isn't intended to be a tank - sorry if I didn't make that clear earlier - rather it's sacrificing some spellcasting (particularly Spell Pen) for better survivability. As Reflex saves tend to be the clerics' Achilles Heel, the pally splash is solely for Divine Grace; that plus Dwarven Spell Defense should add at least +10 to saves vs spells (presuming CHA 20+). Higher saves plus extra PRR from Shield Mastery (+30 w/LSM & tower shield) should help her front-line survivability quite a bit. And as I said, the wiz spells are a free perk, not a significant factor; the real motivation is free metamagic + Force I enh. [Could also add Flame I enh, but I don't know too many clerics who use Flame Strike or Firestorm regularly.]

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Just to clarify: Impulse items do NOT boost BB; you need either Potency or Laceration, as you say. But Force enhancements WILL boost BB and other untyped dmg spells. [It's just another one of those inconsistent rules / naming conventions you learn to cope with in D&D. ] Since clerics don't get any bonuses to BB dmg, a wiz splash is a simple way of boosting her dmg; so would a sorc or arty splash, but those don't provide a bonus metamagic.

My build isn't intended to be a tank - sorry if I didn't make that clear earlier - rather it's sacrificing some spellcasting (particularly Spell Pen) for better survivability. As Reflex saves tend to be the clerics' Achilles Heel, the pally splash is solely for Divine Grace; that plus Dwarven Spell Defense should add at least +10 to saves vs spells (presuming CHA 20+). Higher saves plus extra PRR from Shield Mastery (+30 w/LSM & tower shield) should help her front-line survivability quite a bit. And as I said, the wiz spells are a free perk, not a significant factor; the real motivation is free metamagic + Force I enh. [Could also add Flame I enh, but I don't know too many clerics who use Flame Strike or Firestorm regularly.]
    Ooooohhhh, interesting. Not that I'd tack on wizzy anyway but I have a weird build I'm just about done leveling (ranged dps fvs w/ arti splash) and that could certainly make use of that.

Also sorry if my tone seemed ******y, didn't intend that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12