Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default returning VIP player looking for a good group to hang with

Hello,

I have been gone for a couple years now, due to personal issues.
    I got a couple emails from turbine about new updates, and thought ..
    I really did like DDO, and I havent been playing anything except bejeweled blitz
    on facebook since I left

So I am looking for a good group of players to hang out with,
    its been so long i dont even remember the guild I used to belong too..
    and back then the game was capped at 20...and I was original on a different server
    that merged with sarlona, so I have been around since beta.. on and off so to speak

I have 1 true reincarnation ..character who is at 15 now,

20 sorceror/Air spec
    20 Cleric
    2 druid 2 rogue 1 fighter (not sure a wiz pastlife helps here)
    19 monk -
    20 ranger 17/monk1/rogue2 -
    18 rogue 12/monk 6 -
    17 warforged sorceror
    15 Warforged Fighter 13/ rogue 2 (was 20 cleric)
    18 favored soul

so I did play a lot, and the core game I remember pretty well... I have a 4 druid i am messing with and a 4 artificier as well.

so anyhow send me a pm here or an email in game to Tammar or Nimblis

thanks
    Last edited by Tribe33; 06-24-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Cool HI and welcome back

Just to say we are a small guild on Sarlona looking for new members....when I say small I really do mean small!! We are lvl 53 with airship and relevant buffs but our regular player base is quite small ATM. If you are playing GMT then both myself and the guild leader are on everyday....if you are American we have a couple of regular players in your time zone as well. May not be right for you but if you get no other answers give us a shout...my ingame personalities are in my sig along with guild name......Happy Hunting!
    Never underestimate the power of Chocolate!
    Spiritfires, Spiritryder, Spiritbasher, Spirittanker, Spiritlite and Spiritwarper
    House Xorlarrin Sarlona

Welcome back!

If I may suggest, there is a public channel here on Sarlona started by the Defense Guild.

Originally meant to become a raid training channel, Defense channel has become a good mix of vets to newbies and casuals to hardcores, and a great place to discuss the game (or, y'know, whatever else.) Almost all of the non-guild groups I join are from this channel.

To join, type /joinchannel Defense in your in-game chat bar. To talk in it, type /1 before your message, assuming you have no other custom channels.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseMilk View Post
    Welcome back!

If I may suggest, there is a public channel here on Sarlona started by the Defense Guild.

Originally meant to become a raid training channel, Defense channel has become a good mix of vets to newbies and casuals to hardcores, and a great place to discuss the game (or, y'know, whatever else.) Almost all of the non-guild groups I join are from this channel.

To join, type /joinchannel Defense in your in-game chat bar. To talk in it, type /1 before your message, assuming you have no other custom channels.

I have joined that thread, while it interesting discussion of game info, and such .. very rarely did i hear a call for grouping or raids or such.

I did receive a guild invite from angry dragons, and I put a character in there.. they seem friendly enough.

just doing pugs and exploring some of the new content (underdark) and re-acquainting myself with shroud..
    apparently no one really spends any time in the reaver's refuge anymore?
    dragon touched isnt worth while ? .. no hound quests that I have seen in two weeks... what do people do?
    other then shroud, which i see from time to time...

My ranger is 20 now, my fvs is 18, my monk/rogue is 18 my sorc is 17, I have TR'd my wizard. trying out druid/rogue build

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tribe33 View Post
    I have joined that thread, while it interesting discussion of game info, and such .. very rarely did i hear a call for grouping or raids or such.

I did receive a guild invite from angry dragons, and I put a character in there.. they seem friendly enough.

just doing pugs and exploring some of the new content (underdark) and re-acquainting myself with shroud..
    apparently no one really spends any time in the reaver's refuge anymore?
    dragon touched isnt worth while ? .. no hound quests that I have seen in two weeks... what do people do?
    other then shroud, which i see from time to time...

My ranger is 20 now, my fvs is 18, my monk/rogue is 18 my sorc is 17, I have TR'd my wizard. trying out druid/rogue build

People mainly solo/shortman these days.

I would recommend using /joinchannel Defense and the LFM panel
    to start whatever you'd like to run.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Tobril2 View Post
    People mainly solo/shortman these days.

I would recommend using /joinchannel Defense and the LFM panel
    to start whatever you'd like to run.
    Yeah usually if you talk to us in the game and we're not busy several will join up. We're a friendly raid loving bunch!
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Welcome back!

Rofl!

Asked a couple of questions in regard to the new Enhancements in said channel tonight and got subjected to the worst elitism I've seen in my 3 years playing DDO!

And this for a channel that I thought was about helping people BUT:

1. A Fleshy Archmage who doesn't take Zombie Form is a complete Gimp that won't be healed whatsoever - Strange that said Fleshy Archmage carries Reconstruct isn't it - So I can heal Warforged who need it but guess what...The Cleric/Soul is going to refuse to heal me just because I'm an Archmage NOT a PM!

2. Despite the fact that I'm on a Lvl 16 Fighter {Yeah the conversation was initially about Stalwart and whether to completely ignore Kensai} and NOT on my Archmage I'm instantly called a gimp fleshy!

3. When I tell the Elitist {who States quite openly that she wouldn't Heal Me if I didn't have Zombie Form on} who btw is on a Lvl 25 Paladin! to type in her Cleric/Souls/Druids names so I can Squelch her it's ME who has the attitude problem supposedly

4) Not forgetting that this somehow means I'm a Barb with NO Silver Flame Pots too!
    Guess what...Silver Flame Pots require 4 {Used to be 5} Pay to Play Packs to earn! - A 1st Life toon is unlikely to have them before Lvl 20 minimum!
    And the only place where they seem to be a must is Abbot anyway!
    Oh and get with the times - Healing Spring, Renewal, Rejuvenation Cocoon etc. etc.

Well y'all know where to find my characters {every single one of them is named on these forums} and if you would refuse to heal a Fleshy Archmage please do me a favour and Squelch away! {Oh and include the multiple Clerics/Souls and Druids please - Don't be a Hypocrite!}.

And No I'm not talking about refusing to heal someone who's clearly causing issues BUT ABOUT refusing to heal someone who's doing their job because you think you can tell them exactly how to play their character!

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Yeah defense has changed recently. I really miss the old atmosphere where questions were actually discussed instead of nastiness like you encountered.

I think a lot of the people on it have forgotten(or maybe don't care) it's original advertised purpose and have started using it as a private group fill instead of to help newer players. I'm on there though, and I heal everyone other than warforge who take whatever it is that makes them immune to healing (I don't mean their innate resistance, they have something now that makes them flat out immune).
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Asked a couple of questions in regard to the new Enhancements in said channel tonight and got subjected to the worst elitism I've seen in my 3 years playing DDO!
    It's been like that for a while, sadly. The only thing worse than the elitism is the cynicism; it's not really a place for newbies at all any more, and in some ways not even a place for average players either. It's become overrun with jaded oldtimers who use it to brag, gossip, mock those they consider inferior, and whine about how horrible the game is now.

A couple of weeks ago I suggested a player ask on the channel for advice about runearms, and she was given no useful advice and basically ridiculed for even asking the question. I got so ticked off I left the channel for a while.

I came back because there *are* quite a number of very good and very nice people still on defense -- including a couple of people who have posted in this thread -- and the more who join, the better it will become. So, if you do join, just squelch the negative and obnoxious elements and carry on.

I'm also trying to revive the "help" channel on Sarlona as a more newbie-friendly alternative, which as I understand it was at one point widely used. That's been slow-going so far, but hopefully we'll get there.

I recommend running with various guilds and finding one you fit in well with. Guilds are the best place to find like-minded individuals who will treat you well, and the best source of teams for running content.
    Last edited by Qaliya; 08-21-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    Yeah defense has changed recently. I really miss the old atmosphere where questions were actually discussed instead of nastiness like you encountered.

I think a lot of the people on it have forgotten(or maybe don't care) it's original advertised purpose and have started using it as a private group fill instead of to help newer players. I'm on there though, and I heal everyone other than warforge who take whatever it is that makes them immune to healing (I don't mean their innate resistance, they have something now that makes them flat out immune).

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    It's been like that for a while, sadly. The only thing worse than the elitism is the cynicism; it's not really a place for newbies at all any more, and in some ways not even a place for average players either. It's become overrun with jaded oldtimers who use it to brag, gossip, mock those they consider inferior, and whine about how horrible the game is now.

A couple of weeks ago I suggested a player ask on the channel for advice about runearms, and she was given no useful advice and basically ridiculed for even asking the question. I got so ticked off I left the channel for a while.

I came back because there *are* quite a number of very good and very nice people still on defense -- including a couple of people who have posted in this thread -- and the more who join, the better it will become. So, if you do join, just squelch the negative and obnoxious elements and carry on.

I'm also trying to revive the "help" channel on Sarlona as a more newbie-friendly alternative, which as I understand it was at one point widely used. That's been slow-going so far, but hopefully we'll get there.

I recommend running with various guilds and finding one you fit in well with. Guilds are the best place to find like-minded individuals who will treat you well, and the best source of teams for running content.

Wow!

I'm genuinely Flabbergasted!

Thank you both for renewing my faith in Sarlona if not in said Channel.

I'm very happy with my current guild on Sarlona - Judges of Sarlona has served me well for over 2 years now although it has shrunk from it's old size.

I'd be very happy to join "Help" Qaliya - Though I have as many questions as answers I've always found it easier to help others than to find help myself.

I have gotten some pretty nasty reception as well in Defense. I was looking for info on what happened to arcane lore with the update, hoping that I could find someone to link their epic green blade. Someone was very helpful and linked it, which was awesome. But the majority of the responses about it were along the lines of go look at the wiki. Unfortunately said wiki responses were just people being jerks, since the wiki has not yet been updated with the new reduced values.

Yes there are jerks in that channel, but there are other very friendly and helpful folks too. I urge those of you who see that type of behavior to remind folks the reason Defense opened up their guild chat to the server in the first place.

FranOhmsford I hope you don't let the jerks influence your perception of everyone in the channel. We all have bad days sometimes

Most of the ee/zerg crowd is in Defense now. If you ask something, you will get good advice most of the time, but it won't always be sugar-coated, and you'll get some in-joking/sarcastic responses.

Defense was opened up as a raid training channel as I recall, not as a casual/newb channel. It's never been all that friendly to people who are not interested in learning how to play the game effectively, though I'm sure it's even less friendly to those types than it used to be.

I'm personally quite happy people like Qye and FranO don't like it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    If you ask something, you will get good advice most of the time, but it won't always be sugar-coated, and you'll get some in-joking/sarcastic responses.
    In my experience, you'll get good advice much of the time, and extremely obnoxious, unhelpful comments much of the time. Often at the same time.

Defense was opened up as a raid training channel as I recall, not as a casual/newb channel.
    If by "opened up" you means years ago, then maybe. I wasn't around then.

I found the channel when Tobril advertised it in 2011. Here's how he describes the channel in that thread:

Why I’m doing this:
    Old guilds/channels are extremely closed (I know, I run a few) which leaves
    newer/casual players in the dust when it comes to running certain content.

Goals:
    The goal is this channel is to create a healthy environment for new/casual
    players to learn how to run entry to moderate level raid/epic quests.
    (epic raids, desert epics, etc are beyond the scope of this endeavor)
    The channel now utterly fails at that goal, but people keep sending newbies there anyway.

Well, then I'm glad we're in agreement about the value of making clear that the defense channel isn't what it once was, and warning people needing help about what they may expect if they go there.

Personally, I think you guys should just password-protect the place and be done with it. After all, that's the only way to keep undesirables like myself out, right?

I do my bit to help when I see genuine questions asked in that channel, but I generally am a bit of an elitist prick, and as much as I try to be good about it, that part of me always shows through sometimes.

From what I've seen most of the people in the channel are the same way, It's not exactly new friendly, but despite you feeling picked on, I know a lot of people in there try do their best to help out when they can.

My own advice often probably comes across as snarky or mean, but often I'm in a party/quest and just trying to type an answer in the shortest possible manner.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyTigerLily View Post
    Unfortunately said wiki responses were just people being jerks, since the wiki has not yet been updated with the new reduced values.
    To defend the "look at the wiki" jerks for a moment, I know atleast CDR and myself update the wiki often. I've personally spent a lot of time doing so, and I do it so that people can quickly easily find answers.

If you said in channel "it hasn't been updated yet" after getting a "look at the wiki" response, the first thing I would do when I have the chance is go check out said page and update it.

Please look at it from our perspective, the wiki is one of the best resources we have to share information with people asking questions. By directing people there first, then updating as we need to it does help.

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    My own advice often probably comes across as snarky or mean, but often I'm in a party/quest and just trying to type an answer in the shortest possible manner.
    This.

Please, folks, don't mistake a short, simple answer for snarkiness. Brevity is often the soul of not dying in a quest.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Defense was opened up as a raid training channel as I recall, not as a casual/newb channel. It's never been all that friendly to people who are not interested in learning how to play the game effectively, though I'm sure it's even less friendly to those types than it used to be.

Wow, absolutely rude. And more and more typical of Defense chat, which is why I've been quite and seriously reconsidering my participation. Tobril opened it up as a channel publicly to help people learn and raid TRAIN, and it was a friendly good place to be where newish players could ask questions and LEARN. His raid training runs were fabulous, and he was patient and kind. Such a shame people have forgotten to uphold the kindness of the man who started it.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    Wow, absolutely rude. And more and more typical of Defense chat, which is why I've been quite and seriously reconsidering my participation. Tobril opened it up as a channel publicly to help people learn and raid TRAIN, and it was a friendly good place to be where newish players could ask questions and LEARN. His raid training runs were fabulous, and he was patient and kind. Such a shame people have forgotten to uphold the kindness of the man who started it.
    I think we must have had vastly different experiences with Defense channel then. From the thread, it was opened 12-9-11. I left due to people misusing it 1-2-12.
    Quote Originally Posted by vyvy3369 View Post
    Great idea, but it seems to be turning into the new Abbot channel. If the constant general chat spam or noob bashing continues, don't be surprised if there's nobody left.
    Recently completed a very slow Completionist adventure, playing each class until I was bored. My son (Henry) randomly picked the next class from the ones I hadn't done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by vyvy3369 View Post
    Great idea, but it seems to be turning into the new Abbot channel. If the constant general chat spam or noob bashing continues, don't be surprised if there's nobody left.
    That's hilarious, considering it's the biggest channel I know of on Sarlona - 50+ people on weekends.

There are some trolls in the channel, especially of late - inescapable since Turbine implemented zero moderation ability for channels. /squelch them.

It's maybe not hand-holding friendly but it's definitely learning friendly - a lot of the most knowledgable people on Sarlona are in there and generally happy to give an opinion.

Community Member

Please, folks, don't mistake a short, simple answer for snarkiness. Brevity is often the soul of not dying in a quest.
    I don't think anyone is, to be honest. There's nothing wrong with a quick answer, or with sending people to the wiki to get more information.

The problem comes in when someone asks "which is better, A or B?" and gets "neither" and "lol!" for answers. Or when people make fun of someone asking for help in an LFM.

And FWIW, in my opinion Mo and Kaz are two great assets of the defense channel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast