Community Member

Default Lvl 20 Sorcerer Air Savant Current build and requests for suggestions

Having reached lvl 20 I am finding myself to not be as effective in combat as I had hoped, so I am considering respeccing him into an Air Savant. I am here looking for suggestions to make him more combat effective, so here's his current build. Yes, I know I need his epic/ end game equipment, but any suggestions are welcome.

Race: Drow
    Class: Sorcerer
    Alignment: Chaotic Good

Stats

Str: 10 (8 Base +2 Tome)
    Dex: 24 (16 Base +2 Enhancements +6 Dex Item)
    Con: 18 (12 Base +6 Con Item)
    Int: 10 (unmodified base)
    Wis: 8 (unmodified base)
    Cha: 34 (20 Base +3 enhancements +6 Cha Item)

Total HP:222 (100 base + 80 Con + 22 Toughness + 20 Improved False Life Item

Total SP: 2888 (1,650 Base + 348 Cha + 490 Feats and Enhancements + 400 Archmagi Item)

AC: 24 (unbuffed)

Saves:
    Fort: +11
    Ref: +14
    Will: +12

SR: 30 Fortification: 25%

Feats: (not necessarily in order taken) Toughness, Mental Toughness, Improved Mental Toughness, Maximize (considering replacing with Heighten), Empower, Extend, Augment Summon

Enhancements: (will be replacing Kinetic Enhancements with Electrical for Air Savant. Not sure yet what additional enhancements will be retrained for the Air Savant enhancements themselves)

Sorcerer Capstone
    Elven Dexterity I & II
    Improved Empower I-III
    Improved Maximize I-III (plan to replace with Heighten I-III to go with the Heighten Feat, naturally)
    Improved Concentration I
    Sorcerer Energy of the Dragonblooded I-IV
    Improved Spell Penetration I & II
    Sorcerer Charisma I-III
    Kinetic Spellcasting I-VI
    Deadly Kinetics I-VI
    Force Manipulation I-VII

Spells:

Lvl 1: Detect Secret Doors, Grease, Jump, Shield
    Lvl 2: Blur, Invisibility, Knock, Resist Energy
    Lvl 3: Haste, Heroism, Magic Circle Against Evil, Rage
    Lvl 4: Dimension Door, Force Missiles, Ice Storm, Stoneskin
    Lvl 5: Break Enchantment, Cyclonic Blast, Niac's Biting Cold, Teleport
    Lvl 6: Chain Lightning, Disintegrate, Flesh to Stone
    Lvl 7: Banishment, Delayed Blast Fireball, Protection from Elements (Mass)
    Lvl 8: Sunburst, Greater Shout, Otto's Irresistible Dance
    Lvl 9: Summon Monster IX, Power Word: Kill, Energy Drain

Skill points: Concentration and Bluff max ranks

Items:

Head: Charismatic +1 Hat of the Archmagi
    Goggles: Blindness Ward Goggles of Minute Seeing +10
    Neck 1: Death's Locket (Deathblock + 3x/ rest Cause Fear)
    Neck 2: (swap to as needed) Underwater Action Necklace of Eloquence +10
    Trinket: Voice of the Master (+5% exp, +1 Luck Bonus to all saves and skill checks)
    Armor: +7 Proof Against Disease +2 Robe of Shimmering Prisms (+10 Fire/Elec/Cold Absorption)
    Cloak 1: Charismatic +1 Cloak of Protection +5
    Cloak 2: (swap as needed) Cape of the Roc (Feather Fall, 3x per rest +6 to Str)
    Wrists: Righteous Bracers (Undead Guard, Improved False Life)
    Belt: Health +6 Belt of Light Fortification
    Ring 1: Proof Against Poison +4 Ring of Haggling +13
    Ring 2: Charismatic +6 Ring of Poison (1x rest charge of Poison)
    Hands: Dexterous +6 Gloves of Sustenance +10
    Feet: Surefooted Boots (Balance +10, Striding +20%)

Weapon Set 1: +3 Impulse Scepter of Greater Kinetic Lore, +3 Potency Dagger (Will swap for Elec enhancing weapons when Air Savant)
    Weapon Set 2: Eternal Wand of Magic Missile
    Weapon Set 3: +1 Blazing Heavy Crossbow of Enfeebling

Cosmetic Item: Elite Spider Cult Mask

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Okay, first thing is air savant, with the whole spell crit problem, is pretty buggered right now. I'm still playing mine (level 21), but I'm really only playing with some friends because he's not capable of really carry a full share as he used to. Just so you know that it's no panacea.

First thing is tomes. Go out there and find you some, buy 'em whatever. The higher level you get the more it helps to have all your stats as high as possible and +2s are that tough to get. Have you gotten to 1750 total favor yet, 'cause that's a free +2 right there.

Gear:
    Okay, generally you really need to find things to bring your stats up, preferably +6 items. Look at it this way, Strength is pretty much of zero importance to the sorc class, but you have to carry loot and that gets heavy (esp. those suits of armor) between crafting and the new augment system it's fairly simple to get gear to bring your strength up by +6. And, that also helps when you get ray of enfeebled. it won't be so simple to get you down to overburdened. Wisdom is nice because it brings up your spot and after all you can't kill it if you don't see it. You see my point, right?

100% fort, gotta have it. Else you are just grist for the mill.
    If you don't have access to Orchard of the Macabre, go and buy 20 tapestry shreds. They're cheap these days and buy yourself a Minos Legens. Quickest easiest way to get 100% fort and a 20 point toughness (now vitality 20).

Work on getting a Greater False Life item too. If you can combo it with a +6 CON, like on a belt then so much the better. It's a sinch to craft if you've got the crafting levels.

Greensteel, I really hope that you have access to The Vale of Twilight. There really is no easy replacement for a good conc-op item. Personally, I'd suggest a 45 hp conc-op item (goggles is a good slot usually for it on a sorc). It takes more mats and therefore more time to make one, but well worth it. And, that leaves you able to make another item (gloves, necklace, whatever) triple-pos SP, which if done right also gives you +6 to your CHR skills (UMD).

You've got Death's Locket (Deathblock + 3x/ rest Cause Fear) on your neck and that's cool. I would just like to say that I'm a big fan of the Silver Flame Pendant, especially when upgraded the next level to have 10 charges.

There are useful items for an evoker in the challenges: Epic Bracers of Wind, Epic Cloak of Flames Tier 1, Epic Rock Boots Tier 3, Epic Frozen Tunic Tier 3.

You might consider also several items from events: Epic Treasure Hunters Spyglasss Tier 3, Epic Ring of the Buccaneer Tier 3, Epic Ornamented Dagger Tier 3, Greater Cunning Trinket, Epic Robe of Shadow (if you want to do some Necro spells), Epic Cloak of Night.

Your enhancements seem okay. Personally I wouldn't spend the 4 points for energy of the dragonblooded IV. If you have any UMD capability and it really is kind of a shame not to on a sorc you should pick up some of the Wand and Scroll Mastery enhancements. Your Charisma gives you a big edge compared to other toons.

Feats: Toughness, Maximize, Empower, and Heighten are all great. You should know that as a savant you get 3 SLAs and that these have minimal SP costs and you can maximize, empower all of them at no increased SP cost and 2 can be heightened as well for free. So, you should keep maximize. Extend & Augment Summon are your call. Mental Toughness and Improved Mental Toughness are really not necessary for a sorc. SP is not really a problem for a sorc. There's no need to spend a feat or two puffing up an already bloated SP pool. You need to get (especially as an air savant) better DCs for your spells, ergo Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus. I highly recommend these two feats as you will really need as many points toward your DCs as you can get.

Spells: It's late and I'm getting tired. Maybe another time.

Skill points: Concentration and Bluff max ranks (I'd really consider getting UMD maxed. With the the treasure hunters spyglass and the trpile pos GS item a sorc has great UMD and can scroll heal and raise with the best of them, especially with several ranks of Wand and Scroll Mastery.

Okay, as said, it's late. I hope that this was coherent and somewhat helpful.

Later,
    Psi
    Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    and then dropped it like a burning kitten

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrt_Zero View Post
    Feats: (not necessarily in order taken) Toughness, Mental Toughness, Improved Mental Toughness, Maximize (considering replacing with Heighten), Empower, Extend, Augment Summon
    Reroll for new feat sets (or invest to Fred)

Tough,Maximize, Empower (should stack with Maximize), Heighten, SpellPen, SpellFocus:Evoc, ISpellPen/ISpellFocus/Enlarge, FofP (LVL21)

Sorcerer doesn't need Mental Toughness. It is better to find Power X gear or Achrmagi.
    Other useless feats: Extend (leave it for Bards), Augment Summon (until you really focus to summoning)

You need all these Empower, Maximize, Heighten (and maybe enlarge) to power your SLA spells. They doesn't cost any extra SPs. And it is also good idea to heighten all spells with DC check.

Skills: I taking Diplo instead Bluff - really helps in battle when you see that all monsters running at you.
    Last edited by Wanesa; 06-13-2013 at 04:42 AM.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

Community Member

First of all, thanks for the suggestions. I'll do my best to give them all equal weight as well as any additional suggestions anyone would like to offer. I do have one concern. You say sorc's don't need additional sp, yet I find myself needing to shrine way too often or I'm spending a third to half the quest firing Force Missiles as fast as my sp can recharge accompanied by crossbow bolts, or I end up casting conservatively and not feeling like I'm contributing...

Quote Originally Posted by zero32483 View Post
    First of all, thanks for the suggestions. I'll do my best to give them all equal weight as well as any additional suggestions anyone would like to offer. I do have one concern. You say sorc's don't need additional sp, yet I find myself needing to shrine way too often or I'm spending a third to half the quest firing Force Missiles as fast as my sp can recharge accompanied by crossbow bolts, or I end up casting conservatively and not feeling like I'm contributing...
    I ended with about 3000sp at level written in my signature. As savant you can benefit from maximized empowered heightened and enlargened SLA spells which cost from 2SP to 15SPs per cast (Eletric loop, lighting bold, shocking graps - it can damage 100-300HP and costs 2SP).

Yeah, collect Major Mnemonic Potions

Calculate and optimize your SP pool in every quest. Save shrines if you can and use DDoor to return to saved shrines.

Collect items increasing spell power and spell critical.

Use right click to assign metamagic to each spell separately. Great feature.
    Last edited by Wanesa; 06-13-2013 at 04:55 AM.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

Community Member

I run a 23rd level Air Sorc - well, I did run her until Turbine screwed her over again - and have some notes for your consideration.

Feats - mental toughness totally unnecessary for a sorc. At 20 lvl I had right at 3000 sp without those feats. Its all about gear, enhancements, and getting your CHA up. If you haven't done it yet, farm Dreaming Dark for the Vibrant Purple Ioun Stone and then upgrade it. Right now you're wasting your trinket slot by having the Voice there all the time. Most people swap to the Voice right before the end of the quest to get the xp. At other times, you can have an sp item there instead. I would swap in Heighten, Spell Pen and Evocation Focus vice mental toughness, imp toughness and augment summon.

Stats - too late now, but I would not have put so many points into DEX at creation. Drop DEX to 10 and bump CON to 14 or higher if you can. Armor class on a Sorc is nearly irrelevant, given that you'll never have enough for it really matter.

Spells - I see lots of spells in your list that you either don't really need or could use scrolls for instead. Sorcs are spell-limited and you gotta plan ahead for them.

Level 1 - drop detect secret doors. there are wands and clickies for that. Take magic missile. Its cheap, and you can spam the **** out of it if you bring in force enhancements. Its actually better than that crossbow you have. My sorc hasn't used a crossbow or other missile weapon since about 10th level.

Level 2 - drop invis. scrolls, clickies, wands, pots are good enough. I added Electric Loop for damage. I tend to think you need damage spells at every level.

Level 3 - drop Heroism. again, there are clickies, scrolls and pots for that, but you'll really want Greater Heroism anyway. Circle of protection against evil, drop it, get a wand. Add in fireball, chain missiles, frost lance, or similar for one of those and add Displacement for the other slot. You need displacement. Seriously, why don't you have that already?

Level 4 - drop stoneskin, there are wands, clickies, scrolls for that. Wall of fire is effective situationally.

Level 5 - drop teleport. scrolls are far more efficient than wasting a spell slot on it. Drop Break Enchantment. I had that dor a while and didn't find it worth a spell slot . Add Ball Lightning and Eldar's Electric Surge.

Level 6 - never had a use for Flesh to Stone, there are clickies and scrolls. Add Otiluke's Freezing Sphere.

Level 7 - Dancing Sphere is good if you get your CHA up, as is Finger of Death. Consider Prismatic Spray as well. I've had good results with all 3 depending on what type mobs I'm up against.

Level 8 - Drop Greater Shout. Add Polar Ray.

Level 9 - Drop Summon Monster IX. Summons at level 20 just don't do much. Not worth a spell slot. Meteor Swarm or Wail is better if you want to kill stuff (although you'll need to build a bit more to get a really good wail).

In general, I lean towards using scrolls, wands, etc for buffs and my spell slots for killing. Sorcs are cannons. Hit hard, hit fast, run away a lot.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rayworks View Post

Stats - too late now, but I would not have put so many points into DEX at creation. Drop DEX to 10 and bump CON to 14 or higher if you can. Armor class on a Sorc is nearly irrelevant, given that you'll never have enough for it really matter.
    As you can probably tell, this is the first offensive caster I've played for any length of time since discovering DDO. I know this is probably sounding noobish, but oh well. I'm used to needing Dex on a Sorc for spells with a Ranged Touch hit roll. Based on what you're saying, they don't have that in DDO?
    Last edited by zero32483; 06-13-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Community Member

As you can probably tell, this is the first offensive caster I've played for any length of time since discovering DDO. I know this is probably sounding noobish, but oh well. I'm used to needing Dex on a Sorc for spells with a Ranged Touch hit roll. Based on what you're saying, they don't have that in DDO?
    No, they don't. DEX is good if you shoot things with missile weapons only. Any AC benefit you get is minimal under the current system.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rayworks View Post
    No, they don't. DEX is good if you shoot things with missile weapons only. Any AC benefit you get is minimal under the current system.
    Thanks. Looks like I'll probably be using a Lesser Heart of Wood to reallocate my stats and Feats. Any further suggestions, please keep them coming. The more ideas I get the better. Definitely appreciate the responses I'm getting!

One thing I have to add is the reason I've been using Augment Summon. I usually run with one or two other friends of mine and we typically summon at least a healer hireling for each of us, and if just two of us are running we bring out our Onyx Panthers as well. I will go ahead and get rid of them, though. Especially considering that the SLA's seem to be the main damage output from an Air Savant barring situations where the targets are resistant to elec damage.

PS: I hate the display name selector.
    Last edited by zero32483; 06-13-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Okay, had a couple other things to mention, but first off you mentioned above that you were having troubles running low on SP. That's really a function of not having enough spell power behind your spells. A lot of that has to do with equipment. You need to get gear that buffs your spell power. Weapons can be great that way, but the more you can get it onto the other equipment your wearing the better, hence a lot of the stuff that I posted for you to look at last night. I didn't get around to posting the single greatest weapon in the game, shame on me: the Luck Blade This gives you the ability to use 3 red augment crystals to boost your power.

Edit: a greensteel item of concordant opposition (conc-op), which I mentioned in my earlier post, generates SP when you are hit (procs about 4% iirc). Enemy archers become your ally at this point.

Equipment can't do it all however, you should probably consider modifying your enhancements to include at least a couple of the other element manipulations. The first tier is all you need to get because it gives you a 40 point spell power jump to the spells of the element. Don't take any points away from your primary focus, keep that in tact, but see what you can drop and pick up 2 or 3 of the alternate elements. Keeping kinetic manipulation I is probably a good call btw.

Also, if you do decide to switch to air savant there are a few things you should know.
    • acid spells are your weak suite try to avoid. Even you resist acid will be cast at a much lower level, so it's probably a good idea to find a topaz of resist acid 30.
    • Air savant, like all casters is borked. Lightning spells are tricky at best due to DCs and the often 'phenomenal' reflex saves of mobs in the high end game,, but it's still workable. Well EE stuff is pretty much always going to save.
    • SLAs (for air savant they are shocking grasp, electric loop and lightning bolt) will be your bread and butter if you go savant, but these have cooldowns and cycling through them doesn't take very long. You need a couple other spells to fit into your rotation. Scorching ray, Necrotic ray or polar ray , disintegration if you are willing to spend the extra mana. Ofc, chain lightning and ball lightning are great, but have some ray spells too. It's sometimes a good idea not to agro everything in a 3 state area, which is what air savants excel at.
    • DoTs: you must have some. For fights with red and purple named mobs, DOTs are the way to go. Eladar's Electric Surge, Niac's Biting Cold are the big boys. Burning Blood (does fire and acid damage) is also very effective. Melf's Acid Arrow and Black Dragon Bolt do good acid damage.

Another couple pieces of equipment to keep in mind:
    Mysterious Bauble
    War Wizards Robe (Nice at level 20 and easy to get. Just farm the The Druids Deep quest chain. It yields 3 commendations of any type upon completion of the chain no matter what difficulty you run it on.)

I agree with almost all of what Rayworks told you about spells. There's no need to be carrying a bunch of spells that you can just as well cast with a scroll or wand.

Finally, and I'll probably get flamed for this, your will save blows. There are a lot of people who don't take saves that seriously in this game, but I'm not really one of them. I think will save is very important for a caster and to that end I suggest that you consider swapping in Force of Personality as one of your feats. That will make your will saves subject to your CHR instead of your WIS, which for your toon would represent a change from -1 to +12 just from that feat. If you pick up Greater Heroism (and you really, really should) that's another +4.

Psi
    Last edited by Psiandron; 06-13-2013 at 09:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    and then dropped it like a burning kitten

Community Member

Well, I'm gonna have an issue to figure out there. I mean, if I counted right, I only get 7 non-epic feats.

Heighten, Maximize, Empower, Spell Focus Evo, Improved SF Evo, Spell Penetration, Improved Spell Penetration, Toughness, Enlarge, and Force of Personality make 10?

I guess I could drop out Toughness and Enlarge, but what would I drop out for FoP?

Quote Originally Posted by Psiandron View Post
    SLAs (for air savant they are shocking grasp, electric loop and lightning bolt) will be your bread and butter if you go savant, but these have cooldowns and cycling through them doesn't take very long. You need a couple other spells to fit into your rotation. Scorching ray, Necrotic ray or polar ray , disintegration if you are willing to spend the extra mana. Ofc, chain lightning and ball lightning are great, but have some ray spells too. It's sometimes a good idea not to agro everything in a 3 state area, which is what air savants excel at.
    Disintegrate is useless in epic levels, actually i did not use it often, because a lot of mobs has also "phenomenal" fortitude save. In that case, Disint. doing very little damage (around 70HP). It is less than Sonic Blast (LVL1), which can be enpowered by Sonic Spell Power and is able hit every mob in its AoE for 80-100HPs, and 160-200Hps in critical. Costs only 4SP(!). If heightened, it also stuns mobs - but highten cost a lot additional SPs. I have also added Force Missile into spell chain, because it is only spell working on portals in the Shroud and it can be useful when you meet mobs immune to electric spells. Also carry one of air spells: Cyclonic blast or Gust of Wind to rid of enemies' AoE spells, like discoballs, walls of fire and ice storms.

To rid of reflex saves and evasion on the mobs, keep Energy Drain. You will of course need high Spell Penetration. All my attacks starts with one or two Energy Drain followed by Light Bold, Electric Loop, Sonic Blast, Chain Lighting, and repeat. Energy Drain has also one special feature. You can use it to kite mobs one by one, because they will not alarm other mobs (until it is scripted). Better than Buff skill.

Draconic ED has some nice spells, but with long cooldown. Quicken should work with it, i did not tested.

Well, I'm gonna have an issue to figure out there. I mean, if I counted right, I only get 7 non-epic feats.

Heighten, Maximize, Empower, Spell Focus Evo, Improved SF Evo, Spell Penetration, Improved Spell Penetration, Toughness, Enlarge, and Force of Personality make 10?

I guess I could drop out Toughness and Enlarge, but what would I drop out for FoP?
    Feats are at: 1,3,6,9,12,15,18 - you are right: 7 feats.
    If you are human, you have extra feat at lvl 1.

I played sorcerer as halfing and i used two feats for Least and Lesser Dragonmark of healing. Remaining 5 feats were:

Maximize - Actually, i took this to amplify my dragonmarks. It works with all SLA including inherent spells of savants. I did not maximize other spells, because it cost a lot of SP. As you have 150 spell power on sonic and eletric additional 150 from maximize doesn't gives you much additional damage per 1 SP

Heighten - One of feats that you MUST have to keep DC of your spells as high as possible. In contrast with Maximize i set heighten to the most of my spells.

SF: Evocation - This feat is required for Air Savant II.

Spell Pen - I took spell penetration, but this can be discussed. Many ppls can say, that this is not necesary, because there are other sources of spell penetration. I don't know. Yes, there is a gear with +2 on spell pen and also you can increase your spell pen using enhancements. ED has also similar enhancement allowing you to get additional +3 Spell Pen.

Toughness - I took this at lvl 15. This gives you additonal 22 HPs and access to Racial Toughness enhancement granting you stacking 20-30HPs. Your goal is 400HP at level 20, because this is often a prerequisite for participation in some groups. Leader can kick you from raid or EE group if you have less than 400HP. You should also find other sources of HP.

Other feats i did not tested
    Empower - probably stacks with Maximize - additional source of spell power may be great for SLAs
    Quicken - useful if you drop concentration - can be also useful for ED spells which has long cooldown. I did not tested. Works that with inherent spells? I don't know.
    Improved Spell Pen - I took this at lvl 21. Next time i will try Qucken at this level for EDs.
    Improved Spell Focus - not worth for feat slot unless you are wizard. You can craft ring with spell focus.
    FoP - I took this at lvl 24. It helps you resist various spells such a hold person, discoballs, etc. Dancing caster will not help much.
    Enlarge - I don't have experience with this. Attacking at far monsters can give you an extra time to kill them before they catch you
    Last edited by Wanesa; 06-14-2013 at 03:43 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post
    I ended with about 3000sp at level written in my signature. As savant you can benefit from maximized empowered heightened and enlargened SLA spells which cost from 2SP to 15SPs per cast (Eletric loop, lighting bold, shocking graps - it can damage 100-300HP and costs 2SP).

Yeah, collect Major Mnemonic Potions

Calculate and optimize your SP pool in every quest. Save shrines if you can and use DDoor to return to saved shrines.

Collect items increasing spell power and spell critical.

Use right click to assign metamagic to each spell separately. Great feature.

That's not exactly sound advice depending on where the OP wants to go in EDs. For Shirardi sorcs, mental toughness, imp metnalt toughness and epic mental toughness are much better choices than say heighten, empower, maximize. Likely some of those will be reworked after getting capped, but its nice not to have to LR or use too many feat exchanges.

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    That's not exactly sound advice depending on where the OP wants to go in EDs. For Shirardi sorcs, mental toughness, imp metnalt toughness and epic mental toughness are much better choices than say heighten, empower, maximize. Likely some of those will be reworked after getting capped, but its nice not to have to LR or use too many feat exchanges.
    I don't know, which ED the OP want to choose. AFAIK you cannot choose the Shirardi ED until you unlock it. You have to choose something from the arcane sphere: Draconic, Magister, Fatesinger. To unlock Shirardi it is loooong way to run and a lot of grind (farming XPs in HotRB), because there is no much content at epic LVL for XPs. It is better to TR once OP reaches highest lvl and unlocks way to the other spehere.

Yes, certainly OP can buy the ED unlock in the DDO Store. I don't take account of this possibility.
    Last edited by Wanesa; 06-14-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Community Member

My plan is to go with Draconic Incarnation for now, since it's the closest thing to Dragonborn in the game AND it gives a nice potential boost to Charisma. Loving the additional advice, though. Will be helpful down the line, I'm sure.

And yes, I am the OP. Silly display name selector.

And yes, I am the OP. Silly display name selector.
    Agree. "Op" means "monkey" in my natural language

Good luck

Community Member

I had the same problem as you once I hit 20 on my drow sorc. Revised my setup and changed from Fire to Lightning/Cold. Which I like

My feats are: Maximize, Empower, SF: evocation, GSF: evocation, Heighten, Toughness, Spell pen. ESF: Evocation, GSpen.
    I would like to have Epic spell pen, it makes us first lifers able to use our spells on Drow in MOTU. Through I'm stuck with this for now. Quicken is also awesome, played around with it a little and it really makes fog spells smooth to use.

The spells are (by no means perfect):

Level 1. Shield (or nightshield, doesn't matter), Prot:evil, jump, Shocking grasp
    Level 2. Res: Energy, Gust of wind, Knock, Invisbility (web might also be nice, as I currently have nothing against drow melees besides Solid fog and Ice storm)
    Level 3. Protection from energy, Displacement, Haste, rage.
    level 4. DD, Solid fog, Ice storm, Fire shield
    level 5. Cone of cold, Eladars ES, Niac's B cold, Ball of lightning
    level6. Otilukes FS, Chain lightning, Greater Heroism
    level7. Pris. Spray, FoD (or what you want), Ottos sphere
    level8. PW: stun, Polar ray, Ottos irresistable
    Level 9. SMIX(or what you want), Meteor shower, Energy drain.

It gives me a full rotation of cold spells, including 2 AoEs for the lightning immune.
    It gives me dots and good single target damage with both polar ray and chain lightning.
    It gives me lightning AoE.
    For lightning/Cold immune I switch to a force/fire setup and use meteor shower. Eg. Lords of dust, death knights.

It doens't give me: AoE for mass mobs with high reflex save and evasion. In this case I tend to use prismatic spray. I can literally burn 10 times the SP on a stack of archers then other monsters.
    It doesn't give me: A full rotation of non-DC based spells. Polar ray/Shocking graspx2/Eladar's/Niac's is usually what I stick to and rest of the rotation I look out the window...

It lacks (IMO) AoE (hard) CC. However, I'll think about that later. Icestorm/Solid fog and some kiting seems to work fine. Ottos sphere, Web, Hold monster mass are all DC based, and two of them needs to pass a SR check too. Running drow content it's just... Rather just do the other 2 spells and heal afterwards

PW:Stun is amazing (+50% damage) and ottos irresistable for when PW:stun is on cooldown. Ottos sphere is will save and I mostly just use it on devils.