Thread: I Died

Community Member

Default I Died

Here I am, an Elf Fighter(2) Wizard(2) with a level 3 Cleric companion entering the "Den of the Kobold Brothers" on Elite and my first adversary is a lone Kobold Shaman. Knowing how tricky these critters are I ready the +3 Falchion and go rushing forward to melee the thing, hoping to smack it around hard enough to keep breaking it's concentration.

The plan is working and I have the pesky varmint on about 30% health when all of a sudden it leaps back into the alcove adjoining the sewer tunnel. Unfortunately, it leaps so high and far back as to clip the graphics in the wall/ceiling and glitches, floating limply in the air so high up I cannot hit it any longer.

My cleric companion begins to persue a policy of posing in battle stance while being completely useless. In desperation I jump madly, swinging in vain trying to land a blow. Cursing under my breath I try to shift the thing by casting Fear. Then just as I'm moving the mouse over to companion hotbar to order my hireling to blast it the inevitable happens - what I'd been valiantly trying to avoid all along - it started spamming Gedlee's Electric Loop.

Blam. Blam. Blam. 2 seconds, dead. No spell cooldown whatsoever. My companion died straight away. At that point even while gulping down a cure minor wounds I knew instinctively I was dead too.

It wasn't a surprise to die but I couldn't prevent a low, melancholy groan from escaping. Lying on the ground in my freshly made grave I took a picture for posterity.

Look at him. All puffed up and pleased with himself.

The cheating git.

Default Caption possibilities

Kobold might be small but we can Jump!!!

Or

Perching, even we Kobolds know how to do it...

Silly halfblood. A real elf would have had a bow and arrow with him.

Community Member

Chuckle, yeah. It was the full plate that killed me (nerfed my jump skill)

To quote with my somewhat faulty memory:
    Quote Originally Posted by a respected Dev in response to removing an invisible ledge in the shroud:
    I have never heard someone say in a PNP game "I jump on an invisible ledge to make my enemy unresponsive."
    Happens with DDO NPCs all the time.

Try removing yourself from the enemy's line of sight next time. If the superjumping Kobold Shaman cannot see and target you directly, it will jump down to find you. Oh, and a bow or throwing weapon wouldn't hurt either!

Happy Questing...
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Ban that Kobold he's an exploiter.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aolas View Post
    Here I am, an Elf Fighter(2) Wizard(2) with a level 3 Cleric companion entering the "Den of the Kobold Brothers" on Elite and my first adversary is a lone Kobold Shaman. Knowing how tricky these critters are I ready the +3 Falchion and go rushing forward to melee the thing, hoping to smack it around hard enough to keep breaking it's concentration.

The plan is working and I have the pesky varmint on about 30% health when all of a sudden it leaps back into the alcove adjoining the sewer tunnel. Unfortunately, it leaps so high and far back as to clip the graphics in the wall/ceiling and glitches, floating limply in the air so high up I cannot hit it any longer.

My cleric companion begins to persue a policy of posing in battle stance while being completely useless. In desperation I jump madly, swinging in vain trying to land a blow. Cursing under my breath I try to shift the thing by casting Fear. Then just as I'm moving the mouse over to companion hotbar to order my hireling to blast it the inevitable happens - what I'd been valiantly trying to avoid all along - it started spamming Gedlee's Electric Loop.

Blam. Blam. Blam. 2 seconds, dead. No spell cooldown whatsoever. My companion died straight away. At that point even while gulping down a cure minor wounds I knew instinctively I was dead too.

It wasn't a surprise to die but I couldn't prevent a low, melancholy groan from escaping. Lying on the ground in my freshly made grave I took a picture for posterity.

Look at him. All puffed up and pleased with himself.

The cheating git.
    if you're unable to hit a mob in the distance being a wizard, there's something you're doing wrong (fighter + wiz is an example)

also remember you're in elite, so 56hp at lvl 5 is quite low to solo it

every toon(caster or melee) must wear a ranged weapon, and every toon(ranged or caster) must wear a melee weapon

ranged weapons for casters: to kill mobs in perchs at 0 sp cost, some goodies not gonna explain you now

melee weapons for ranged/caster: to bash doors, not every door can be open

good luck next time and if you can't hit/kill something, staying in front of him isn't a good idea(also having hp to be 1 or 2 shot isn't good idea, at least while starting)

Euro-Founder and Keeper Refugee Dexraven's Avatar

2 wizard? "i cast magic missiles! take that you levitating dragon wannabe!"

But yeh....

Community Member

Did you apply for ssotw?

Your main problem isn't the Kobold.

Your main problem is your 2 fighter, 2 wizard build.

Kobolds and certain skeletons do that a lot. Try moving away from the kobold and going somewhere where it breaks line of sight and it will jump down eventually to be able to cast at you.
    Rognac / Oesel / Zaegroenhali / Maloich / Eriaolys / Voidmind / Pastacide / Orangewing / Veraya / Sisutu / Peletis / Lacrimis / Clipped / Somniloquy / Hypnagogic / Othafa

Khyber / The Hand of the Black Tower

Community Member

Thanks for the replies

I just started playing DDO recently and assumed it would be a breeze like every other computer rpg I've played. Boy what a wake up call that day's gaming was, I died about 5 times per quest. In retrospect it was silly of me not to keep a bow handy but I never expected something like that to happen. I sold my bow mainly because I found it cumbersome to target enemies and tedious swapping weapons just to break containers (I'm a super lazy person). After reading replies I'm kicking myself for forgetting about aggro and how I could have just run round the corner and waited for him to chase me.

He taught me a lesson that's for sure! I don't mind, I've kinda warmed to kobolds ever since adventuring with Deekin in Neverwinter Nights.

The character plan was to get whirlwind attack at level 9 and go for a melee based Fighter(2) Pale Master(18) with Tenser's Transformation and buffs. I decided to play as a fighter for the low levels. My AC in full plate was about 10 points higher than wearing robes (dodge, mobility & shield spell) and I was doing twice or more damage with the falchion than with spells so I didn't bother to prepare anything like magic missile. The mistake I probably made was not levelling to Wizard(3) for Resist Enery to protect me from the electric loops, but back in Korthos I didn't know I would need it so badly.

Ah well you live and learn. Dunno anything about screenshot of the week or how to enter, I just posted it up for fun really

nicely written

some remarks:
    • Mobs don't need to make concentration checks as like they have unlimited SP.
    • Always approach them from the opposite side as they will flee/jump in the direction you approach them.
    • If they still managed to climb up somewhere, have a throwing weapon/bow/xbow ready at hand or break line of sight and hide behind a pillar/wall and wait that they come down looking for you.
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

Thanks for the replies

I just started playing DDO recently and assumed it would be a breeze like every other computer rpg I've played. Boy what a wake up call that day's gaming was, I died about 5 times per quest.
    Ah dammit, now I feel bad.

Wizards are not meant to be fighters and tenser's transformation will not cover the melee gap. In fact, tenser's will make you into a very weak wizard.

Good luck.
    Last edited by DynaTheCat; 06-14-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Community Member

Cool

Damn the cheeky git does look happy with himself in the screenshot.
    I know some table top DM's who would have him hanging from convenient "vines" lol
    Yea just back away he will drop down and pursue.
    Looks like your having fun anyway keep at it m8.

People have already made the same points as me about the perching kobold so...
    Kobold Shamans, when you run quests with them on elite, cast the Lightning Bolt spell. It has a 50% chance to hit twice, and if it did, and it could have looked like it hit you with the same spell twice with no cooldown.
    Quote Originally Posted by DynaTheCat View Post
    Your main problem is your 2 fighter, 2 wizard build.
    At level 4? Makes basically no difference. But it is a...unique build. Of course, my main was, at level 5, a 2 ranger/1 wizard/2 favored soul build, coming from a guild with a bit of a newb reputation, I'm sure I set off a lot of alarms And now at level 25 I get the rep of the misfit in our (newbish) guild.

Community Member

I had a suspicion it was lightning bolt since I was Ice Stormed by a rare in another quest that day, it was a shock since the quest was level 2 and Ice Storm is a 4th level spell. That was the first real indication of how much scaling is going on between normal/hard/elite. The combat log did say "lightning strikes twice" but I thought that was a message for Gedlee's Loop cycling through targets in the AoE.

My build. It's just inexperience but it taught me quickly I need to take DDO seriously so I've spent the last few weeks paying attention to YouTube and reading forums. I appreciate now that I won't ever have the AC or the HP to allow me to sit in melee with anything (even if blocking with a shield) so I'll try again with a more traditional type of spellcasting class. You gotta love the character options in DDO though even if the complexity does make it harder for new players to learn the ropes.

And yeah I'm having a lot of fun I soloed Kobold Assault on Normal with my level 4 Dwarf Barbarian and it was really hard, even with bodyfeeder from Fintan's Bite helping me out I still used over 40 healing potions.

Thanks for the advice everyone and happy gaming for the weekend!

I appreciate now that I won't ever have the AC or the HP to allow me to sit in melee with anything (even if blocking with a shield) so I'll try again with a more traditional type of spellcasting class. You gotta love the character options in DDO though even if the complexity does make it harder for new players to learn the ropes.
    This isn't exactly true. The complexity of the character development does allow for melee style spellcaster types. Search for the Palemaster Zombie Dreadnought thread on these forums for an extreme example and there is a you tube video of the build as well. Melee casters are complex and gear intensive builds though, and probably not best suited for new players. But once you get a handle on things give the concept a try again.

Easiest, in my opinion would be a warforged 18 wizard 2 fighter. Build the character like you would a melee: heavy on strength and con stats, with just enough int to ensure you can cast 9th level spells at level 18. (Wizards must have an int score equal to at least 10 + the level of the spell, this includes any stat bonuses via gear, tomes, level up points). Your spell points are for buffing, as you won't have the DC's high enough to effectively destroy your enemies via spells, and you won't have enough spell points for this anyways. You buff with stoneskin, blur, displacement, resists, rage, greater heroism etc, and tensor's and then pull out your great sword or axe and smack things. The spell reconstruct is your self-healing option. Super fun build to play. Not as easy to do with a non-warforged due to challenges healing, but still do-able.

No, this isn't an optimum build, nor will it due huge dps, but very survivable, self-sufficient and loads of fun.
    Persius, Equus, Maeric, Khaaldun, Robotcoupe
    The Exploration Society ~ Thelanis