Thread: TR Questions

Community Member

Default TR Questions

Alright, so: I have an Artificer that I absoLUTELY adore, in a "already used tome of XP on him" sort of way. Obviously, if he wasn't my crafting-toon/character-that-ate-an-expensive-book character, I'd likely just swap out to a 1st-life ranger. But since I can't do that, I'll just *shrug*, and enjoy +1 UMD when my character is DONE/chalk it all up to learning experiences

The problem is, he is my first high-level character, and...obviously, at some point or another, he's going to eat a few ranger TRs, so I can get all those bonus build points, and such

That said, I have a few TR-related questions

1. Stat-tomes: If I eat a tome on my first-life arti, I'll continue to get bonuses on my 2nd life Ranger, and so-on, ya?

2. When I'm finishing those last few arti levels/searching for items for my Ranger Tr's, are there any items I should search for?

3. Are there any particular builds that'll count as rangers for TR purposes, that are known, more-or-less, for leveling like a bat out of heck? Not gonna lie. The 20-60ish(possibly. might only be 20, or 40. IDK) levels of ranger are more for "I want my crossbows to REALLY sting" reasons, not "I want to give up my awesome pet dog for a month" reasons. I want my boring, not-arti ranger levels done with ASAP :P

4. I know there's an XP penalty for lives 2-infinity, but like..how noticeable is it really?

EDIT: My general plan is:Figure out EXACTLY how to make a dang Greensteel weapon(IDK why, but it's...confusing)><, keep leveling to 25/hopefully get a few of the destinies knocked out, then TR into +2 ranged damage sexyness.
    Last edited by GreatMadWombat; 06-12-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Community Member

Hey there, couple of quick answers for you.

1.Yes, if you have say, a +2 STR tome used on your character, when you TR that character will still have a +2 STR tome, however, it builds up from a low level. Like, first it will apply a +1 STR bonus at a certain level, and then when you reach the appropriate level you will get the +2 STR back.

2. Couldn't comment on ranger or arti loot.

3. Again, can't really give you build advice either. Whatever I feel fun is how I build.

4. There isn't an XP "penalty". The first time you TR it just takes MORE experience to level up. And that amount increases again at 3rd life, then no longer increases. And yes, it is VERY noticeable. It will not be as quick to level again. The 2nd life isn't so bad, but after the 3rd the amount is a little painful compared to the 1st life.

But with more experienced needed comes more advantages. You spend more time in a level range, so you can gain more loot for the appropriate level, or farm certain chains for a sought after end reward.

Community Member

Your questions where already answered, but....
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatMadWombat View Post
    My general plan is:Figure out EXACTLY how to make a dang Greensteel weapon(IDK why, but it's...confusing)><, keep leveling to 25/hopefully get a few of the destinies knocked out, then TR into +2 ranged damage sexyness.
    You might want to check out https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...TR#post5020407.
    It would seem that if you follow the plan you set out all of your Epic Destiny work will be wasted.

There are some nice named longbows in the game such as Bow Of Sinew, Elemental Longbow Of Earth (Cannith Challenges only) to name just two, also Rangers can also melee fairly well so keep your eyes peeled for nice 1 handed weapons (Rangers get the two weapon fighting feat line for free).

Stoner81.

Stupid double post thanks to the pitiful excuse of a server.

Stoner81.

Euro-Founder and Keeper Refugee Dexraven's Avatar

a great piece of twink gear for anything with a blue bar is an unsuppressed Vibrant Purple Ioun Stone - Archmagi, Spell Penetration IX (ML: 5, BtC)

who doesnt want all those SP at low level, other stones may be handy too:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Dreamforge

Quote Originally Posted by Dexraven View Post
    other stones may be handy too
    The Pale Lavender one is also a must-have as it helps pretty much any situation involving spells or spell-like abilities. An example is the beholder anti-magic aura. It only loses one single charge every so often while within range of a beholder's aura and prevents you from actually being debuffed while it still has charges.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreatMadWombat View Post

1. Stat-tomes: If I eat a tome on my first-life arti, I'll continue to get bonuses on my 2nd life Ranger, and so-on, ya?

2. When I'm finishing those last few arti levels/searching for items for my Ranger Tr's, are there any items I should search for?

3. Are there any particular builds that'll count as rangers for TR purposes, that are known, more-or-less, for leveling like a bat out of heck? Not gonna lie. The 20-60ish(possibly. might only be 20, or 40. IDK) levels of ranger are more for "I want my crossbows to REALLY sting" reasons, not "I want to give up my awesome pet dog for a month" reasons. I want my boring, not-arti ranger levels done with ASAP :P

4. I know there's an XP penalty for lives 2-infinity, but like..how noticeable is it really?

EDIT: My general plan is:Figure out EXACTLY how to make a dang Greensteel weapon(IDK why, but it's...confusing)><, keep leveling to 25/hopefully get a few of the destinies knocked out, then TR into +2 ranged damage sexyness.
    1) Yep, go ahead and invest in a full suite of +2 Tomes (on the AH), they're cheap, then as you can, upgrade those all to +3. Worth it for any character you're going to TR.

2) Do you have Cannith Challenges? As an Arti, you should, its the best gear in the game for Artis Tempest Trapmonkey is probably the build you want for your Ranger life, TWF is a looot faster than longbows and its similar to Arti in that it can range and trap.

Get a pair of Elemental Khopeshes from Cannith, upgrade them to Tier 3, get 50 Cannith favor, buy like 200 Marks of House Cannith for your next life, and stick a couple Shards of Masterful Craftsmanship in the Khopeshes. They're awesome weapons at L10 that will carry you through to L20. Do the same for the Stalker Ring, so you can get Manslayer at L10.

Also pick up a pair of ML10 Disruption, Banishing, and Smiting weapons (doesnt matter what kind, really, as long as you have two 1hers). Those are handy for switches in places that are heavy with Undead/Outsiders/Constructs, but it takes a while to find them sometimes.

3) Like I said, Tempest Trapmonkey is probably your Ranger build of choice for a turbo PL. I think you'll be disappointed if you try to run with an AA full-time archer after you've been an Arti.

4) It does hurt...its IIRC up to double XP cost on 2nd life, triple on 3rd and beyond. That being said, Bravery Bonus helps take the sting out of it a bit, so make sure to use that. On your second life, that means you'll be running quests that show on your list as (level - 1), but starting on Hard, which isnt actually that hard The upside is you'll notice you're earning Favor rewards a lot quicker.

PS) Dont get too attached to your dog...when you go back to Arti, and get to endgame, you'll find its less and less reliable in Epic content, unfortunately it doesnt scale well