Community Member

Default Slotting Spellpower on Caster/Melee Builds

Hi,

Im using a druid now but i've always been meleeing with wizards. Im wondering if anyone has gotten tired of constantly switching gear between casting and melee. I am now slotting a Combustion +54 on a buckler on a druid but would increase this to +75 if i were using a Combustion scepter. (Crafting levels also don't go higher than 60 if i recall correctly). So i was trying to find a buckler or other equipment that have Spellpower. Found a few but none that fit my open slots or are easy to get. (Cloak of Flames is one. A helm from the Necro series is another that has combustion).

So im now about to see if I can get away with meleeing with my DPS Scimitar (Lit2) and a scepter on my offhand, causing a -6 to to hit.

Anyone else encountering this dilemma? So much more fun to play without constantly switching weapons (even if i have them on my hotbar, it still takes some time for the DDO server to switch them and causes a slight pause/lag, which can be bothersome when done too often)

Quote Originally Posted by supott View Post
    Hi,

Im using a druid now but i've always been meleeing with wizards. Im wondering if anyone has gotten tired of constantly switching gear between casting and melee. I am now slotting a Combustion +54 on a buckler on a druid but would increase this to +75 if i were using a Combustion scepter. (Crafting levels also don't go higher than 60 if i recall correctly). So i was trying to find a buckler or other equipment that have Spellpower. Found a few but none that fit my open slots or are easy to get. (Cloak of Flames is one. A helm from the Necro series is another that has combustion).

So im now about to see if I can get away with meleeing with my DPS Scimitar (Lit2) and a scepter on my offhand, causing a -6 to to hit.

Anyone else encountering this dilemma? So much more fun to play without constantly switching weapons (even if i have them on my hotbar, it still takes some time for the DDO server to switch them and causes a slight pause/lag, which can be bothersome when done too often)
    A lot of the melee wizzies that I've seen usually do somwthing like 12/8 wizzy/fighter, and maybe take one or two elemental lines. They are not heavy-duty casting for damage - which is where your spell power comes in - but mainly for buffs. Their main damage output is melee. So, that typically means that you need to slot one, maybe two items to get your desired result.

Like I said, that's just what I've seen and read. I usually go full-on caster, so I'll either go with a staff or dual scepters / daggers. I'll have maybe 4 combos, but I really only need maybe one set to get me through a quest.

Community Member

the last classes ive played were FVS and 2 Wizzes, full points in Wis/Int, but I go with a 12-14 Str and that is just enough to hit most things leveling thru 1-20 so I often melee to save mana. If it's a Wiz, then meleeing while firewalling throughout most of the game is usually my best DPS.

I know its probably a weird question.. Its actually a great mechanic that they are making it difficult for ppl like me who want it all. Madstone Orb is probably my most viable option.

I will probably have 2 shields - One with my offensive Spellpower (fire) and one with something else thats useful (spell resistance, etc). I will switch from Thaumaturgy Qstaffs and Scepters in serious quests, and will just use my Lazy offensive spellpower shield when doing hard/normals.

I also have a Devotion ring that i always keep equipped. This though would be nice to replace soon. If only they had an Orb with Devotion.

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

I don't advise (and I imagine not many do) meleeing on casters that said I like being able to finish off a straggler or having something to do for a couple minutes before we hit the shrine when I'm out of mana. My short list of things you can do include:

Dynastic Falcata for Sorcs (a Khopesh that uses Charisma score for to hit and damage) it has a red and purple slot, which means you can put two spell power rubies in it up to 114.

Casters in DDO often use shields, there are several that have fairly low or even no arcane spell failure, and one or more red augment slots.

Coronation: A Necro Tome of Legend Turn in reward that is a Morningstar, with a Khopesh crit profile and fantastic crit damage (greater ribcracker) and comes with a purple and red augment slot.

Noticing the trend of Augment slots?

Well here's the grandaddy: Mountain's Fist a Dwarven Axe with space for three red spell power rubies.

Could also look into Quarter staffs with Dex or INT as the to hit and dmg stat. that also have a red augment slot, sadly I think there's only one that fits this bill can't remember it's name, but it's low level. Staff of Seer maybe?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    I don't advise (and I imagine not many do) meleeing on casters that said I like being able to finish off a straggler or having something to do for a couple minutes before we hit the shrine when I'm out of mana. My short list of things you can do include:

Dynastic Falcata for Sorcs (a Khopesh that uses Charisma score for to hit and damage) it has a red and purple slot, which means you can put two spell power rubies in it up to 114.

Casters in DDO often use shields, there are several that have fairly low or even no arcane spell failure, and one or more red augment slots.

Coronation: A Necro Tome of Legend Turn in reward that is a Morningstar, with a Khopesh crit profile and fantastic crit damage (greater ribcracker) and comes with a purple and red augment slot.

Noticing the trend of Augment slots?

Well here's the grandaddy: Mountain's Fist a Dwarven Axe with space for three red spell power rubies.

Could also look into Quarter staffs with Dex or INT as the to hit and dmg stat. that also have a red augment slot, sadly I think there's only one that fits this bill can't remember it's name, but it's low level. Staff of Seer maybe?
    thanks for the replies,
    Dynastic Falcata sounds cool, though if theres one class I wouldn't melee with its the Sorc as their SLA's will probably be even stronger just on Echoes of Power.

Coronation sounds awesome as well and finally was able to get a complete tome that i still dont know what to do with. But I just forged a brand new Lit2 Scimitar just a couple of hours ago ) so i don't think ill be replacing it.

My best choice is if I find a shield with a Red Slot or a named Shield with 0 -5% Arcane Spell failure.

The Dwarven Axe and other Augment slot weapons are nice but wouldn't give me good DPS. Luck Blade, Vulkoorim War Blade, Threnalian Dagger are other weapons i had an eye on.

Community Member

The items that would suit me as a Druid are:

Seraphim, Crest of St Markus, Plume of Adherence, Beacon of Tira (For Devotion) (Seraphim the easiest. Beacon of Tira the best and probably most improbable for me to get)

Cloak of Flames & Frozen Tunic (For Fire and Ice) (Unluckily I got my GS on my Cloak, but will probably go for the Frozen Tunic)
    Last edited by supott; 06-12-2013 at 05:18 PM.