Hybrid View

Default Is "zerg" implied in every LFM?

I always specify "speed run" or "fast run" or something similar if I'm planning to zerg through a quest as quickly as we can.

When I join someone else's group, I don't assume this will be a zergfest unless it says so on the LFM, or the leader tells everyone it will be.

Recently I posted an LFM for the Shadow Crypt that read, "Elite for BB. All welcome. IP." A couple of people join just as I start, after the fight in the first room, so we start together. Shortly thereafter a ranger joins and after about a minute, tells me that my map sucks because this is taking way too long. A couple of minutes after that (when he was apparently just wandering from room to room) he starts telling me how much of a noob I am because "this quest should take five minutes" and then he quits. At that point I believe we'd been inside for eight minutes.

I was going for all the gears and was using a map. At least one of the other people in the party had never done it before, so I was explaining it on voice to them as we went (which wasn't really slowing us down at all.) I think our final completion time was 19 or 20 minutes.

He sent me several tells after he ragequit, letting me know I didn't know what I was doing because that quest should only take five minutes. I didn't respond to his tells.

Do you assume that all LFM's are zerg runs unless they specify "NOT a zerg run"? I never do, but I've run into more and more people lately (very few of whom are actually rude about it) who get frustrated/annoyed whenever they join a group that isn't a speed run.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

I guess it was that time again .... sigh oh well more popcorn sales.

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    I always specify "speed run" or "fast run" or something similar if I'm planning to zerg through a quest as quickly as we can.

When I join someone else's group, I don't assume this will be a zergfest unless it says so on the LFM, or the leader tells everyone it will be.

Recently I posted an LFM for the Shadow Crypt that read, "Elite for BB. All welcome. IP." A couple of people join just as I start, after the fight in the first room, so we start together. Shortly thereafter a ranger joins and after about a minute, tells me that my map sucks because this is taking way too long. A couple of minutes after that (when he was apparently just wandering from room to room) he starts telling me how much of a noob I am because "this quest should take five minutes" and then he quits. At that point I believe we'd been inside for eight minutes.

I was going for all the gears and was using a map. At least one of the other people in the party had never done it before, so I was explaining it on voice to them as we went (which wasn't really slowing us down at all.) I think our final completion time was 19 or 20 minutes.

He sent me several tells after he ragequit, letting me know I didn't know what I was doing because that quest should only take five minutes. I didn't respond to his tells.

Do you assume that all LFM's are zerg runs unless they specify "NOT a zerg run"? I never do, but I've run into more and more people lately (very few of whom are actually rude about it) who get frustrated/annoyed whenever they join a group that isn't a speed run.
    Not all groups are zerg runs and no one should assume so...

Welcome to the world of leading groups

There are always people that beleive when they join someone else group it should be run there way
    Even tho they wont lead one themselfs or more then likely incapable of doing it themselfs

Then turn around blame you for these idiocy.

5 min runs are only done with 2 ppl slipting up
    its more like 7-9 min going only one way.

15-20 min going for everything

that ranger is an idiot
    Aceita - 22 life Monk Completionist -

That ranger lost xp
    He probably joined some other group and rage dropped again (so wasted xp again).

In short, some players will complain.
    Just ignore and get xp

20 min for that quest is not that slow imo.
    It can be a lot slower with lag or some players (actually it's fun when there are some troubles).

And, btw, if that quest can be done in 5 min then why he didn't do it for you?
    (to prove his point)

Fewer new people joining + an emphasis on grindy levels of xp in the game = win
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRobai View Post
    20 min for that quest is not that slow imo.
    It can be a lot slower with lag or some players (actually it's fun when there are some troubles).
    That's about ten times more time than necessary.

I'd say that's pretty slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiisi View Post
    That's about ten times more time than necessary.

I'd say that's pretty slow.
    Depends, for xp farming yeah, for a teaching run where everyone sticks together and the party isn't optimal while getting 12 gears, I'd say it's average. Yeah optimal 8 gear split team time is five mins and under but that's an xp farming group.

Cool

No, I don't assume that all LFMs are zergs, nor do most people. When joining an LFM though, it helps to be able to adapt to the playstyle of the rest of the group, whether they are going for a fast run or doing all optionals, whether they are first-timers or experienced players, etc.

Most zergers know that if they want like-minded people they can start or find a group like that easily enough, but sadly that won't stop people from trying to zerg all the time in LFMs you or others make. There are ways to manage that situation though.
    "So maybe it's about time we all get a reality check and realize that if you raid, run epics, and have capped toons and worry about ED's TR's and all that jazz, you are a small part of the population of this game, a very small part in fact." -- Ungood

Yes

zergers. Sending pugs to carealot hell one stride at a time.

Subsequently the insecure tool. Seething with hatred, but to insecure to make fun of a pimped zerger until turbines server freezes up and causes a death. (This is usually the crazed buff bot healer who declares they shall go at their own pace. However it can be a ticked off TR that has rolled up a god awful thing that they know they must live with for at least 2 weeks of a constant grind.)

What? Come on everyone who even glanced at this thing was thinking it lol.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

Lol. Squelch and move on. He's a prat.

Speed is group dependant. Some are faster than others. When I join I am polite and accept the pace that they are running - sometimes it is slower than I am used to and sometimes it's faster than usual and I'm running to keep up.

When leading a group and they are going a bit slower than you would like I find it's just usually what they expect - and when you show them how to go faster they will follow along - particularly when you are window farming. By the third time you'll be moving faster together as a group and that can be really fun.

I do occasionally going slower to explore stuff, and I like opportunities to learn how to do things more efficiently.

End of the day it's a game and about fun so it's best really that whatever happens people are nice to one another.
    ~Thelanis ~ Khyber ~

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Yes
    nope

Do you assume that all LFM's are zerg runs unless they specify "NOT a zerg run"?
    No, but I do assume all of your threads are pointless attempts to cause flame wars. I have yet to see any post you have ever made be worth more than two or three sentences. So I won't bother with more than this.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

A general all welcome type lfm isn't an invitation to a speed run. Any player should know that there in fact will be people either new to the quest or not yet confident in their ability to run said quest. You just got a dim bulb in your group for a time. The repeat tells afterward are why I actually bother to keep a squelch list to begin with...

Welcome to the world of pug leadership.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Quite simply put, no melee group can blast through Shadow Crypt in 5 mins, even running the split group/8 gear paths.

The ranger must have seen a combo of casters & divines and expected to ride their coat tails to fast xp & loot. When he saw that you were A) not following the short path, and B) not speeding him through the level he was on, be fealt cheated of his free ride and needed to whine about it.

Then as usual, when you get confronted by someone with expectations you don't approve of, you came hear with your obligatory "Am I right? Who's with me?!"
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

No.

But at the same time, I play at a single pace. I can not help it that until level 10+ I usually 1 shot everything with most any given build.
    So it takes me significantly less time to deal with mobs the your average pug. So while an unprepared pug might take an hour to do Tear on Elite, it takes me about 15 minutes. I can't help that.

And I've yet to figure out how to deal with this in a pug. Am I expected to just stand around and wait for everyone else to deal with the mobs before I can move along? Do I just say balls to it, and do my own thing? I rarely get complaints when I do my own thing and take care of business, as long as I don't die. But, who knows. Maybe I'm ****ing off the entire Argo pug scene because I know what I'm doing and unless people ask I don't explain things.

I honestly don't care much either way.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

"Elite for BB. All welcome. IP."
    Thats your problem right there.

Next time try:-

"Elite for BB. All welcome, apart from idiots. IP."