Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Default Iconic's anyone else want to admit they are pretty dang cool?

I guess I expected them to be newb traps or cookie cutter "path" characters that could not be multiclassed or taken off their path. From the name I honestly half expected them to be pre-named "Drizzt" "Sturm" "Raistlin" etc. That's how badly prefabbed I thought they were going to be. But I looked at the Bloadeforged, saw some builds I wanted to try, and a free trip to level 15 to get most of the way there so I forked out for the pack.

I've got two really intriguing Bladeforged based builds in the planner, and was looking over the coming enhancement additions they are supposed to get (reconstruction SLA is worth buying Bladeforged all by itself), so I looked over the other three iconics and started thinking about what I could do with each one.

I nearly sprung one reading the Shadar Kai Assassin, as I've had an INT based Assassin Rogue/Monk build I've wanted to do forever (seriously a couple years now, lately I was even hoping the enhancement pass would take some of the rogue levels out of the DC roll, like 1/2 rogue levels instead of 1 for 1 so I could revive the idea)... but it was never going to be viable. because I really wanted Monk Abundant step and some Ninja spy shadow fade... You can't make this stuff up; here comes Shadar Kai, with a leap/step like ability that also makes them go non corp briefly, and the Shadow ED will cover the 25% non corp part of it. So a pure or almost pure rogue build pumping INT and using eMNG in one hand and Treason/Rebellion in the other (DEX based to hit and damage). Hardest part will be getting an eMNG at this point with so few people running house K epics. The cool (sounding) Spiked chain special attack is also sounding Nerdgasmic.

Bladeforged I've got going is a 1 fighter 2 Pali 17 FvS melee soul and a 2 pali 18 Sorc, using Dynastic Falcata and Skiver as mostly a caster stick (two red slots ) but swinging at trash on occasion to finish stuff off and save some SP (Falcata is CHA/CHA tohit and damage)

Looking at the PDK.. That CHA to hit and damage has massive Paladin Synergy, take the requisite 1 Fighter and 15 or more Paladin, take Divine Might III (which is even better for Chrisma after the enhancement pass makes it last longer and use CHA mod for damage) and use some of the ED smite twists, and main ED blitz or Adrenalin. Equip two Deathnips, eventually eSOS and watch the bodies hit the floor.

The Morninglord with the unfortunate sounding name even has some minor interest... To be sure the weakest of the Iconic's it really could use another special ability or selling point... Maybe free Elf Displacement dragonmark? Ah but it's a FR iconic so no... That said: turn in some tome pages and get one or two Coronation's, Khopesh crit profile, Greater ribcracker and TWO red (Actually one purple and one red) augment slots for Devotion/Radiance upgradable all the way to cap.

Yeah I think the trepidation about iconics was mostly much ado about nothing, personally I misunderstood them to be a new player thing. But there seems to be lots of meat on these bones for multiclassing... I am surprised at how much new variety and potential build synergy these have, and will look forward to any iconic's they add in the future. As someone who doesn't much enjoy TR lives (but has Altaholism) their biggest down side is fairly irrelevant to me (though it seems they're going to add some form of TR to them. As long as they put LR's in for them, I think I'll enjoy them as I'm also a respecc junky.
    Last edited by Ironclans_evil_twin; 06-12-2013 at 02:33 PM.

I agree 100%, they are PDC (pretty dang cool). My son even stated he may start playing again just for the Sun Elf.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    I agree 100%, they are PDC (pretty dang cool). My son even stated he may start playing again just for the Sun Elf.
    I agree. PDC. I like trying as many things as I can, and had been wanting to try a bladesworn pally but didn't have the character slots or time. BAM!--I got to try one starting at level 15. The iconic race benefits have been good, the starting gear was decent, and he's almost level 20 now.

What is not PDC is having to relog into these forums each time to post, and the fact that I don't get any e-mail notifications of new posts anymore.
    Ghallanda: Vilas, Alphon, Whelm, Thaylan, Tyclmi, Amgine, Talc, Dedlee, Payle, Darell, Talenta, Zhen, Thrane, Arrith, Durdyn, Magefyre, Necrophil, Tulgey, Borogove, Hasugi, Shawal, Hailestorm, Branthan
    Sarlona: Darrick, Schweet, Omagus, Chudan
    Cannith: Leeve, Alzon
    Old Timer's Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com

Totally agree- I've been having a lot of fun with them. I expect when we get more Iconic classes that it will be even more fun

I say well done with this idea and hope to see it continue to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by rfachini View Post
    What is not PDC is having to relog into these forums each time to post, and the fact that I don't get any e-mail notifications of new posts anymore.
    Have you checked under your SETTINGS>GENERAL SETTINGS>Default Thread Subscription Mode:?

Choices are there, including email notification.

Not impressed.

I am my own iconic hero.

Community Member

i am looking forward to trying one

Would be nice to TR into one.
    Going for the Sorc/Paladin.
    I really really hate how Warforged look, but Bladesworns actually look kinda cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    I guess I expected them to be newb traps or cookie cutter "path" characters that could not be multiclassed or taken off their path. From the name I honestly half expected them to be pre-named "Drizzt" "Sturm" "Raistlin" etc. That's how badly prefabbed I thought they were going to be. But I looked at the Bloadeforged, saw some builds I wanted to try, and a free trip to level 15 to get most of the way there so I forked out for the pack.

I've got two really intriguing Bladeforged based builds in the planner, and was looking over the coming enhancement additions they are supposed to get (reconstruction SLA is worth buying Bladeforged all by itself), so I looked over the other three iconics and started thinking about what I could do with each one.

I nearly sprung one reading the Shadar Kai Assassin, as I've had an INT based Assassin Rogue/Monk build I've wanted to do forever (seriously a couple years now, lately I was even hoping the enhancement pass would take some of the rogue levels out of the DC roll, like 1/2 rogue levels instead of 1 for 1 so I could revive the idea)... but it was never going to be viable. because I really wanted Monk Abundant step and some Ninja spy shadow fade... You can't make this stuff up; here comes Shadar Kai, with a leap/step like ability that also makes them go non corp briefly, and the Shadow ED will cover the 25% non corp part of it. So a pure or almost pure rogue build pumping INT and using eMNG in one hand and Treason/Rebellion in the other (DEX based to hit and damage). Hardest part will be getting an eMNG at this point with so few people running house K epics. The cool (sounding) Spiked chain special attack is also sounding Nerdgasmic.

Bladeforged I've got going is a 1 fighter 2 Pali 17 FvS melee soul and a 2 pali 18 Sorc, using Dynastic Falcata and Skiver as mostly a caster stick (two red slots ) but swinging at trash on occasion to finish stuff off and save some SP (Falcata is CHA/CHA tohit and damage)

Looking at the PDK.. That CHA to hit and damage has massive Paladin Synergy, take the requisite 1 Fighter and 15 or more Paladin, take Divine Might III (which is even better for Chrisma after the enhancement pass makes it last longer and use CHA mod for damage) and use some of the ED smite twists, and main ED blitz or Adrenalin. Equip two Deathnips, eventually eSOS and watch the bodies hit the floor.

The Morninglord with the unfortunate sounding name even has some minor interest... To be sure the weakest of the Iconic's it really could use another special ability or selling point... Maybe free Elf Displacement dragonmark? Ah but it's a FR iconic so no... That said: turn in some tome pages and get one or two Coronation's, Khopesh crit profile, Greater ribcracker and TWO red (Actually one purple and one red) augment slots for Devotion/Radiance upgradable all the way to cap.

Yeah I think the trepidation about iconics was mostly much ado about nothing, personally I misunderstood them to be a new player thing. But there seems to be lots of meat on these bones for multiclassing... I am surprised at how much new variety and potential build synergy these have, and will look forward to any iconic's they add in the future. As someone who doesn't much enjoy TR lives (but has Altaholism) their biggest down side is fairly irrelevant to me (though it seems they're going to add some form of TR to them. As long as they put LR's in for them, I think I'll enjoy them as I'm also a respecc junky.
    Glad you like 'em. I still consider them traps, maybe even "newb" traps, if you are not aware of what you are getting into (Or can't read; an inside joke I posted in another thread ) The best thing I currently like about them is starting at 15. But other than that shine, it's a turd.

Mythbusters Polishing a Turd: I think the developers were watching this episode when they thought of Iconics. Because people only see the "shiny" in things.

Are you kidding? I think the Dev's did great with Iconics. Totally agree with ya!

Community Member

Bladesworn might actually convince me to make a juggernaut heh
    Ckarlock, Dragonbloodz, Sorinsal. Argo Server, Guild: Bringers of Darkness.

Community Member

They would be a lot cooler if the devs weren't focused on screwing us with the new Tr system and the "enhancement pass" BS.

I'm happy with the Bladeforged. I am fremium, and never bought warforged. So for me, this was a nice deal to get both an iconic and a construct race in one.

I tried pure pally and 2pally/13fighter and now have a 2figher/13pally that I really like.

What I'd like to know is if TR's iconics will start at 1 or 15 again? Because I want to do a Bladeforged sorc next and wonder if I should roll one or TR into it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2pleasegimmie View Post
    They would be a lot cooler if the devs weren't focused on screwing us with the new Tr system and the "enhancement pass" BS.
    Yes... That is their focus. That is their entire focus...

• They have entire meetings devoted to bigger and better screwups.
    • At the company parties, they give out awards for who screwed up the biggest, the most and with the greatest amount of suffering.
    • Wall street analysts downgrade their stock anytime they fail to meet screwup projections.
    • The entire purpose of the NSA data collection is to get fight club info to power the screwup.
    • Shakespeare wrote a sonnet counting the ways that turbine screws us.
    • Quantum mechanics tells us that every screwup that can happen... will happen and has happened.
    • Murphy tells us that anything that isn't a screwup is just setting us up for the next screwup.
    • Budha tells us that any screwup free moment is less enjoyable because we know the next screwup will come.
    • Chuck Norris sees the screwup before it happens, that is why he doesn't play DDO.
    • Neo tells us that there is no screwup... but look at what happened to him at the end of the third move, what the !$!$%#% does Neo know!

p.s. Pass the tinfoil?

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Glad you like 'em. I still consider them traps, maybe even "newb" traps, if you are not aware of what you are getting into (Or can't read; an inside joke I posted in another thread ) The best thing I currently like about them is starting at 15. But other than that shine, it's a turd.

Mythbusters Polishing a Turd: I think the developers were watching this episode when they thought of Iconics. Because people only see the "shiny" in things.
    So besides the Iconic TR stuff which is temporary, what's not shiny?

Basically each Iconic is a sub race or splatbook race that have a few interesting twists that allow new build synergies for anyone who's interested in that. Variety and complexity in characterization is usually touted at the single best feature of DDO... these just add new wrinkles.

They aren't what I expected, they can be fully multiclassed save for the one requisite default class level... which actually by itself kind of adds it's own build challenge/wrinkle.

Hell the ability to test things past 7th level vet status whenever I want makes them worth it all by itself... I've deleted 4 of them already testing stuff (BTW DOS Pali's are not getting the "when shield is equipped" bonus PRR part of their PrE probably another one of these enhancement Alpha land mines)