Page 39 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Late to the party, I know, not that I was trying to be fashionably late rather I took my son on Vacation before he had to spend much of the summer with his mother.

I read the original post and several hundred comments but I want to start at the beginning.

The TR process is currently broke and IMHO Turbine should start by fixing those issues before complicating the whole process.

Passive Past Life
    Check out the DDO Wiki for complete details (http://ddowiki.com/page/Past_life#Past_Life_Feats)
    Barbarian 10 additional HP. Really I mean in a game where melees are expected to be in excess of 1000 HP that small bump of 10 HP is well ...
    Bard +1 Song, +2 Saves vs. Enchantment and Illusion
    Cleric ... Wizard
    All of those need to be looked at and re-worked. I am not sure what would make the passive past life feats more effective without making them over powered.
    Barbarian should give Toughness as an example.

The next issue is the Active Past Life Feats, which require use of a feat also need some work.

Now let is look at the big problem.
    28 vs. 32 vs. 34 vs. 36 and now vs. 38 point builds
    Many people get caught saying the bigger number must be substantially better, which is not always the case.
    Because players have to spend those points when creating a character what does those additional points actually accomplish.

In a two stat class players will spend a majority of their points in two class, for example Strength and Constitution in many fighter builds with dexterity and intelligence getting minimal points and maybe a point or two in wisdom.
    Adding 4 points to 32 allows 3 additional points (1 point in the stat) in either strength or Constitution and one point in intelligence or wisdom.
    Adding another 2 points (34). Well it can't be used in Primary Stats and the secondary stats probably will end up with an odd score and ...
    Okay add another 2 points (36). Well you can up of your primary and one dump stat...
    38 ... Well...

In three stat class the additional points are valuable when going from 28 to 32 and again at 36.
    In four stat builds the additional points are valuable at 33 and 37 points.

When I say valuable I am talking about meaningful increases of "primary" stats to a useful number (increments of two). Increasing Charisma by one point on a Half-Orc Barbarian is a useful as... [insert joke here]

Might I suggest taking a completely different approach to past life point increases. Rather than increase stat points in a build allow players to increase a stat based upon their past life.

Artificers - Either Intelligence of Dexterity
    Barbarian - Either Constitution or Strength
    Bard - Either Charisma or Intelligence
    Cleric - Either Charisma or Wisdom
    Druid - Either Charisma or Wisdom
    Favored Soul - Either Charisma or Wisdom
    Fighter - Either Constitution or Strength
    Monk - Either Dexterity or Wisdom
    Paladin - Either Charisma or Constitution
    Ranger - Either Dexterity or Wisdom
    Rogue - Either Dexterity or Intelligence
    Sorcerer - Charisma
    Wizard - Intelligence

You may increase only use the increase once per past life to a maximum of three times. Thus if I was on my fifth life I could choose any of the past four lives for my first stat increase, and then any of the remaining three past lives for my second, and either of the remaining two past lives for my third.

When it comes to Epic TR instead of +1 to a stat point make it +2 to a stat point based upon Sphere and the bonded Epic Destiny.
    Arcane - Charisma or Intelligence
    Divine - Charisma or Wisdom
    Martial - Dexterity or Strength
    Primal - Constitution or Wisdom

While this is not a complete thought it is more along what I would be advocating.

I have no issue with the XP costs of subsequent lives see the ddo wiki the problem is more about a lack of available XP available in the level 15 to 18 range depending on how you break it down. If you were to dramatically increase the amount of XP in this level range, thinking adding another Vale of Twilight, Amrath, Reaver's Reach and you'd just be scratching the surface of the issue. Currently if I have to run Monastery of the Scorpion or Enter the Kobold one more time...

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

Quote Originally Posted by Piloto View Post
    1. With the current design, after this system goes live, going through a Heroic TR will burn non-bonded epic destiny XP, but the character will be compensated for the burned XP. In other words, Heroic TR will work just like Epic TR except it will be available at level 20 instead of level cap and it will not grant Epic past life feats. Allowing Heroic TR to preserve ED XP sort of short-circuits the system, providing a weird incentive to avoid epic level play. You should use Heroic TR if you’d like to reincarnate at level 20 and want the benefits that Heroic TR gives (build points, past life feat). Otherwise, you should consider continuing up to level cap and reincarnating from there where you will get all the benefits of Heroic TR plus the additional benefit of Epic TR (epic past life feats).
    Epic Destinies were sold with the explicit understanding that any progress made in them would NOT be lost when you used a True Reincarnation, changing that after a lot of people have bought them and maxed them out is a very bad idea!

I would suggest instead that there is a dividing line between Heroic TR and Epic TR

Heroic TR should not remove any Epic Destiny Progress, at all! and start the character back at level 1, with the Heroic past life feat

Epic TR should remove all Destiny progress (unless it is locked) and start the character at level 1 with the bonus from any Epic destiny XP that was lost, potentially letting them start from level 20, with the Heroic past life feat, Epic Past life feat and Destiny past life feat, making Epic TR more enticing for the potential extra benefits, but not forcing people to use it unless they want to.

This way you would keep the Current system of Heroic TR working as is, which is fine, and doesn't need to be changed, while also introducing the Optional extra of Epic TR.

Choices are good, forcing people to loose what they worked hard for is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    I think you have missed the boat here. Heroic TR is basically something folks have been doing because they feel there is nothing else to do. I really don't think leaving Heroic TR as is will prevent people from playing Epic content. Most people are ambivilous of the perks heoric TR offer now anyway. Heroic Completionist is hardly a big deal anymore compared to pre MOTU.

Most people are going to still want the biggest and the best, and that will come with EPIC TR. Nothing about the current TR system will make people want to EPIC TR any less.

I think you are overestimating the value of Heroic TR. One year ago...that was end-game...today, it is just another small step in the overall process.

I really think you guys have devised a pretty good system, with the exception of the loss of Destinies in Heroic and Iconic TR.

I can only speak for myself (not MOST PEOPLE or EVERYONE or ALL FOLKS like so many posters who seem to have this ability) but I HTR because I think the content is fun to replay as another class/race combination, not because I'm trying to eke out every possible iota of perceived power possible.

Hi Piloto,

first of all thanks for trying to listen,

...This could mean, for example, that a character with a large number of destinies maxed out could immediately level back up to level 20 even as a third life character. Again, this is just an example of one of the things we are considering, but it’s a definite possibility.
    While this may already sound better for players who not have any or only a couple ED maxed, it is still lacking for players who have more then 3 or 4 EDs. Don't forget that this epic advantage only apply one time and we still need to relevel them. Not to mention unlocked fate points and unlocked EDs.

Also the low levels in heroic are not the issue for a TR, it is the higher levels. Some people proposed tokens, others proposed that you apply the XP top-down. In other words if I had earned 551K epic XP on a 2nd TR they would be applied as soon as I hit level 19 to cap me at level 20, instead of pushing me to level 8. Or to make it easier, create tokens a 100k that can be applied at whatever level we want for each 100k epic XP. Dunno, there are probably even better ideas out there, including just to not change the heroic TR at all.

Additional you didn't said anything about unlocked EDs. Meaning if I unlocked an ED in the tree and I TR, loosing all my progress I have to unlock it again and play as a Fighter in the Magister ED? All the changes would be less cruel if we could save earned fate points and directly start in the ED we want without traversing through the whole planetarium.

After all I don't understand your incentive. I mean why would someone ever again consider heroic TR if the epic TR bind an ED and give a past life. A player would always be better of to get to cap and do the epic TR instead of first completing all heroci TR. If you hate that old heroic TR system that much why you not shut it down? No, this isn't what I want, but I just don't get what you try to accomplish with your changes.
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

Quote Originally Posted by Varinox View Post
    Epic Destinies were sold with the explicit understanding that any progress made in them would NOT be lost when you used a True Reincarnation, changing that after a lot of people have bought them and maxed them out is a very bad idea!

I would suggest instead that there is a dividing line between Heroic TR and Epic TR

Heroic TR should not remove any Epic Destiny Progress, at all! and start the character back at level 1, with the Heroic past life feat

Epic TR should remove all Destiny progress (unless it is locked) and start the character at level 1 with the bonus from any Epic destiny XP that was lost, potentially letting them start from level 20, with the Heroic past life feat, Epic Past life feat and Destiny past life feat, making Epic TR more enticing for the potential extra benefits, but not forcing people to use it unless they want to.

This way you would keep the Current system of Heroic TR working as is, which is fine, and doesn't need to be changed, while also introducing the Optional extra of Epic TR.

Well said.

Default Epic Fail

In the 7 years I've been playing the game this takes the cake for a change to the game.

I don't understand the need to kill the ED xp. In order to bond more than one you have to TR anyway correct?
    The only way to get the past life feats is to bond them so what real advantage does someone have who has them maxxed already? OK they get the twists and the ability to switch between destinies, BUT THEY ALREADY EARNED THIS! If they have to run another life to bond a second destiny isn't that enough?

I only have one character out of 24 that is close to having his ED's done.... I only play a few hours a night 3-4 days a week. I don't grind them on one or two quests.... this wipes out months and months of effort. Since it is my main I would like to continue to play him and tr hm, but not if this goes through.

7 years of VIP, both expansions, and a reasonable amount of cash spent outside of that....
    I have for the most part accepted the changes over the years and given the devs the benefit of the doubt, but this is a tough one to swallow. Giving me heroic xp for a life or two to grind out the destinies I already have done again will suck....

I will certainly wait and see how this plays out, but never before have I been this disappointed by a potential change in this game.
    Argonessenn -Officer of Storm Shadow-
    Olen Anteres

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grubbby View Post
    Why doesnt this work in the new system? I must be missing something, because that seems to me to be the style that does work with the new system. You switch to doing EPIC TR's, cap out one off destiny each life. Spend most of the time in your "good" destiny leveling to 28.
    Because previously I could earn several EDs and twist points per life. Now I can only earn one. I don't intend to TR 11 times on every character tyvm.

Community Member

Default Can Edit

Quote Originally Posted by Opensezame View Post
    Bah, sorry... with the inability to edit posts at the moment... I meant tokens were btc, not stones!
    I manage to edit posts by right-clicking Edit button and opening in new tab. Kludgy, but it works.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Varinox View Post

There is a flaw in this though. If ETR and HTR is separate logic would dictate so are the levels. Heroic levels would be 1 to 20 and epic lvl would be 20 to 28. Therefore an ETR should send you back to level 20 not level one seeing as level 20 is the crossover level from heroic to epic levels.

This would also mean logic dictates you get no "heroic" TR advantages in a ETR which in turn may discourage epic play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    Insulting the development team is not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

Why EDs should not be removed:
    1) We payed for it - with cash or TP - and while selling it it was said theyre like now - forever. It justt doesnt feel fair to have them wiped out after that.
    2) We are playing certain classes - and leveling destiny which is not at all helpfull to us (like arcane sphere for melee) is not fun. Its tireding. Game supposed to be fun
    3) Some people maxed them out - a lot of ppl - so loosing 20 millions of xp is not fun also.

Why ETR shouldnt put you on lvl 1.
    1) Heroic TR is supposed to reset heroic lvls - so equally - epic TR should reset epic lvls. Not heroic also.
    2) People who made completionist or grinded thro some lives - its not a great deal for them to have to repeat 11 times heroic lives. Thats just stupid.
    3) Unfairness towards ppl who TRed and made past lifes earlier - I mean back then for TR you got only past life, and now you cant get past life + other bonuses - when lets be honest... hitting 20-25 is not a hard work - its raiding with guilds and friends, getting epic gear - for most playerbase its most fun than running quests over and over on heroic for xp.
    4) Right now putting raid group together is not that easy besides these 3-4 hours when most players play - but still sometimes its not easy. Why? Because a lot of players TR and is below lvl 20. Well... after this change everyone will be in TR cycle and getting good group for raids and epic elites with max lvl and eds is going to be impossible. And more ppl will be unable to attend raids because theyll be too low lvl.

To sum up:
    1) People who play a lot will rage and some of them will probably stop playing.
    2) There will be a lot of players for whom the grind will be too much so theyll have no motivation to play.
    3) There will be even less ppl on end game than it is now.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Ok, I'm going to try to be constructive...
    You know it's tough to be constructive when what you have in front of you is a wall that doesn't understand. Anyway, I have a crowbar and a sledgehammer that I usually use for rockhounding... I'm sure I can put them to some other use.

Hi. Thanks again for your feedback and opinions on the proposed design of the new Epic TR. Here are some of the things the team is currently thinking about.
    You can think of things, but you should always keep in mind that you are paid by the customers ( that's us forum posters by the way ).
    From that, it's not difficult to think that keeping the customer happy is something important.

Right now the suggested mechanism you're trying to force down our throat is not making us happy.
    Unhappy customers go elsewhere... in D&D genre case, we have that brand new game called Neverwinter Online.
    Even if it's 4th Edition ( bleh ), even if it's dumbed down, and the combat system is crappy as hell, it looks more and more interesting as weeks go.
    Why ?

Because between the NGE... erm... Enhancement Crash... erm Enhancement Pass that is going to be rammed forcefully down our throat with ShadowFail Conspiracy, even if we didn't want it, and this change to TR, you've managed to make the game unappealing.

The NGE is going to kill lots of characters that will have no other choice but to TR, it's also the last straw for a lot of divines that are going to TR into non divine so that they won't become Hjealbots. Most of them are capped at 25, and have one or more Epic Destinies capped too...

Now you're telling us that you are going to wipe Destinies upon TR ( which is the exact opposite of what you ( Turbine ) were telling us since last year.... or maybe you can't find a Fix for the lost EDs that a few people encountered and you decided that it was WAI and that you were initially wrong )

Lets continue : ( I'm probably going to be disconnected at least once or twice while I type that... thanks to yet another crappy update )

We understand your concern about losing Epic Destiny XP upon reincarnation and not getting enough in return.
    It's not a return problem, it's a net loss problem and a turncoat problem... We have been told by YOU ( Turbine ) , several time that loosing Epic Destinies upon TR was not WAI. As such it was clear for us that we could develop our characters going through destinies without any problem and then TR... and upon reaching 20 again we would get back our destinies. Now you're telling us it's not supposed to happen.

So, we are investigating some different possibilities in regard to what a character gets after they reincarnate with Epic TR. We’d like to offer a system where the character gets credit for every XP they “burn” from an epic destiny. One scenario for this is that Epic Destiny XP will be converted to heroic XP (using a formula that adjusts for the different rates at which heroic and epic XP are gained). This converted XP would then be used to level up your reincarnated character. This could mean, for example, that a character with a large number of destinies maxed out could immediately level back up to level 20 even as a third life character. Again, this is just an example of one of the things we are considering, but it’s a definite possibility.
    That's not what we want... nor what we asked for.

Also, to answer a couple of additional questions:

1. With the current design, after this system goes live, going through a Heroic TR will burn non-bonded epic destiny XP, but the character will be compensated for the burned XP. In other words, Heroic TR will work just like Epic TR except it will be available at level 20 instead of level cap and it will not grant Epic past life feats.
    See above...

Allowing Heroic TR to preserve ED XP sort of short-circuits the system, providing a weird incentive to avoid epic level play.
    See Above, your forum is fubared, it's impossible to find old threads in it, but it's there, written several time, by both MadFloyd and Gazebo IIRC.
    I don't see how it avoid epic level play, especially as right now Epic level is somewhat limited... With MoTU you killed LVL 20 endgame but you didn't provide any LVL 25 Endgame worth it.

At LVL 20 we were regularly doing the Epic Quests and raids, and all the other raids ( Shroud, Hound, VoD, Tod, MA, LoB )
    So we had 15+ Epic Quests and 2 Epic Raids ( Queen and Velah ) as well as all the LVL 16+ Raids and the LVL 18+ quests. ( 20/30 more quests )

Right now we have :
    - all the above, except that they haven't been updated and present no interest to run. And the LVL 18/20 quests are not relevant anymore, so they are not run once you're beyond 20. The Seal/Scroll/Shard mechanism is the biggest deterrent there... Why bother grinding for stuff that is not best in slot anymore ?

- The Eveningstar chain... well you run it once to get the stupid flag done, then you just farm the two Drow City quests everybody knows about.
    Why bother with farming Demonweb, where you waste hours getting to quests. Why bother farming Underdark quests where you waste hours going there ? if you looked at things when LoB and MA came out everybody told you ( Turbine ) that these two raids would be forgotten fast once we had items or they were made irrelevant... well it's the case now, we either have the items or they are irrelevant... but in any case nobody is bothering wasting almost an hour to fight through the manufactory to reach those two raids.

- Gianthold, same as Eveningstar, people did the quests once for Favor, Relics, and Flagging.... then they Farmed Tor for Scales.
    Now they just farm Piker's Fate Redux ( yes, when we reach 28 it's going to be a new Piker's Fate... and it will be relevant, as it will be the highest raid in game ).

You wonder why people are not playing epic level ? And you came to the conclusion that it's the Destiny XP that make them avoid Epic Level Questing ?
    Well from my point of view as a player, I don't reach the same conclusion... For me people are TRing over and over and over because there is NOT ENOUGH INTERESTING CONTENT AT END GAME to keep us busy. ( And no Lloth Navel Bashing is NOT INTERESTING CONTENT... especially with the retarded drop rate on commendations and items. )

You should use Heroic TR if you’d like to reincarnate at level 20 and want the benefits that Heroic TR gives (build points, past life feat). Otherwise, you should consider continuing up to level cap and reincarnating from there where you will get all the benefits of Heroic TR plus the additional benefit of Epic TR (epic past life feats).
    Right now nobody is going to TR anymore ( except upon reaching 20 ) because they don't want to get shafted of their destinies.
    You're just planning on killing TR ( heroic and epic... well epic will be stillborn, and heroic will be murdered )

2. Currently, store bought Fate Points will be preserved after reincarnation. This will not change. We are investigating ways to somehow preserve regular in-game earned Fate Points, but, behind the scenes, they are different than store bought ones, so it is not completely certain that we will be able to preserve them. If we cannot preserve them, we will look for ways to compensate a character for them.
    If you want I'm sure several of us are willing to help you create the relevant dabase views, triggers and queries so that it can be done.
    It cannot be more complex than a subscription database for IN services in Telecom... or a SAP Oracle database... Some of us works with that kind of stuff everyday.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Citzen_Gkar View Post
    Because previously I could earn several EDs and twist points per life. Now I can only earn one. I don't intend to TR 11 times on every character tyvm.
    And this is a very good point. There are a lot of players that actually enjoy the heroic levels more than the epic levels. They still play the epic levels though each time they cap...sometimes a long time...sometimes just long enough to get 20 tokens and TR again. This effectively kills the game for them, or at least the epic part of it. They're forced into the epic TR system when what they really want is to use the current heroic TR system. Just another example where coupling heroic TR'ing to ED xp is a failure as a concept.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoldyGopher View Post
    Passive Past Life
    Check out the DDO Wiki for complete details (http://ddowiki.com/page/Past_life#Past_Life_Feats)
    Barbarian 10 additional HP. Really I mean in a game where melees are expected to be in excess of 1000 HP that small bump of 10
    You might want to revisit _enhancements_ when you talk about past life _feats_.
    I am a total noob, and even I know that a barb pl feat means I can take all the toughness _enhancements_ for free. Thats 80 hp, not 10, and its a feat in my pocket that I didn't burn pointlessly on toughness. All said enhancements say "requirement, toughness feat _or_ barbarian past life". IMO, that blows. I HATE being forced to burn a feat on toughness.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scrag View Post
    You might want to revisit _enhancements_ when you talk about past life _feats_.
    I am a total noob, and even I know that a barb pl feat means I can take all the toughness _enhancements_ for free. Thats 80 hp, not 10, and its a feat in my pocket that I didn't burn pointlessly on toughness. All said enhancements say "requirement, toughness feat _or_ barbarian past life". IMO, that blows. I HATE being forced to burn a feat on toughness.
    That's the active barbarian past life feat that grants the toughness enhancements. This means it still costs you a feat.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Quote Originally Posted by SilkofDrasnia View Post
    Yup.

*Heroic TR has nothing to do what so ever with Epic Destines. The key word is EPIC. The incentive to heroic TR is for the heroic PLs which are not so great now and getting more build points/elite quest unlock. You get the normal heroic bonuses and keep your Epic Destines, just like now, you do not get epic perks from ETR. This is non negotiable in my book and I think in most other peoples book as well.

*When you Epic TR at cap you lose all epic xp. My preference would be you go back to level 20 which is where epic levels start in my book but I could swallow going back to level one. You do not lose any Epic Destiny XP UNLESS you bond one to get the past life associated with it. You only lose the destiny xp for the one destiny you have bonded. If you choose not to bond any you do not get the past life bonus but can get the 38 point build bonus. If you choose to bond one destiny you lose 2 fate points seeing as you have just lost 5 destiny levels but you regain them when you re-level that destiny
    I could live with this, although if you Epic TR, I believe you should start at level 20, not level 1.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rosedarkthorn View Post
    I could live with this, although if you Epic TR, I believe you should start at level 20, not level 1.
    If I understand correctly the reason they're doing level 1 is that they're granting you both the Epic and Heroic TR. Now, one could argue those shouldn't be coupled and I wouldn't necessarily disagree but just wanted to point out what I perceive their reasoning to be in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    Just my two coppers as a player who has not not maxed even one ED yet (I have them) and thus dosent have a pony in that other race:

I like the proposed changes to the ED system. It sounds like a much more fleshed out and functional system than the original that will add variety to the game.
    So. You like the thought that people who have spent at least 7 days to grind out those destines would lose the majority of those progress. Absolutely brilliant.
    "F*** Jay and Silent Bob, f*** them up their stupid a**es."
    "Who the f*** said that s***?"
    "A guy who calls himself 'Magnolia Fan'."

Quote Originally Posted by rosedarkthorn View Post
    Right I would like that too but would be willing to start back at level one *as long as doing so gives you the HTR bonuses* and this would encourage people to use the ETR more than the HTR thereby encouraging epic play as this *seems* to be their objective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    Insulting the development team is not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Citzen_Gkar View Post
    You won't. You'll join the rest of us in not TRing anymore EVER.

Until the game shuts down at least.

Community Member MarcusCleardawn's Avatar

Questions:

1. If you guys are determined to nuke our Epic Destiny Experience, are you going to still insist that we have to travel through the spheres?

2. If we still have to travel through the spheres, what serves as our starting point?

3. If you can retain multiple Destinies by Karmic Bonding through multiple TR's can you use those as bridge destinies?

4. Assuming as has been intimated that earned Fate Points are going to be zapped, will I get new Fate points be re-awarded upon getting to Epic Level? I.e. if I karmically bonded a lvl 5 destiny, then TR and make it to 20 again, I now have a lvl 5 destiny, will I be awarded the normal Fate Points for having 5 levels of a destiny?

5. Why the necessity of zapping Epic Destiny Experience at all?

Page 39 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast