Page 35 of 89 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    You're talking about Epic TRing now in the system that we would like to see. If we agree that Heroic TR should not affect ED XP in any way then this is only relevant for Epic TRing. And if you choose to Epic TR then you've decided that you're happy with this. I do think that they're setting the bar very low with this as level 1 to 2 takes 15 minutes, so saving someone 15 minutes of time is insignificant. Maybe a better idea would be that if you had unlocked Veteran status (1000 favour) when you Epic TR you will start as a Level 4 character and then gain your Advantage ranks, and if you had unlocked Veteran II status (3000 favour) when you Epic TR you will start as a Level 7 character and then gain your Advantage ranks, and if you choose to Epic TR as an Iconic then you will start as a level 15 Iconic character and then gain your Advantage ranks. This seems a better option to me and gives you an additional incentive to broaden your horizons in a life. I've definitely done 3 day legend lives where I've had nowhere near 3000 favour.

EDIT: When you Epic TR you would basically start on the Heart of Wind - see post 646 below about making Advantage optional.
    Perhaps YOU would like to see Epic TRing the way it was proposed. I am offering MY opinion (maybe I need your permission?) and I think that trading a rank of ED for a rank of low-level Heroic is crud. Plus I frankly like most of the low level quests in the game and would redo them anyway for Favor.

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    ,,,,,That no less than 5 twists though. Maybe if I was paying more attention I would know which quests/raids to take which of those, hmm...
    An example of a playing planning a new build and wanting more twists than are currently allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Perhaps YOU would like to see Epic TRing the way it was proposed. I am offering MY opinion (maybe I need your permission?) and I think that trading a rank of ED for a rank of low-level Heroic is crud. Plus I frankly like most of the low level quests in the game and would redo them anyway for Favor.
    I agree Epic Disadvantage is only good for blowing up ED XP for serious grinders who are
    seeking additional Fate points.

A bit ago someone posted an upgraded version of Epic Disadvantage which is worth looking at:

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelTheFree View Post
    My first impression upon reading the OP was very similar to the main theme I see reading the thread.
    To summarize, as presented, this would remove all incentive for me to do any more TRs of any sort.
    Also I do not think it is fair to punish those who worked hard to cap so many destinies under the current system.
    On the other hand I realize that the grind for Ultimate Completionist should be a large scale and very daunting endeavor.

So I took some time to calm down, think and analyze the situation and I think there does not have to be very many big changes to make this work.
    One thing that struck me was that by the time you reach level 28, you could have 3 destinies capped.
    This means that even if all the epic destiny is reset, by the time you are done grinding Epic past lives you have more than earned the XP back multiple time so the real grind is for epic levels now, not for destinies as the destinies will fill themselves out on the way to 28.

As I see it there are some groups of people whose needs are not addressed with these changes:
    • People who are happy with their ED's but not done their Heroic TR plans
    • People who have earned a large numbers of ED's
    • People who want large numbers of Heroic Past Life feats
    • People using iconic characters who want Epic Past lives

To address these concerns I would suggest minor tweaks as follows:

Heroic True Reincarnation
    • Heroic TR remains unchanged at level 20 or above
    • Grants a Class Past Life Feat that can stack up to 3x
    • Adds 2 build points up to a 36 point build
    • No benefit from Epic Advantage
    • No resetting of Epic XP

Epic Destiny True Reincarnation
    • Can be taken at Level Cap (Level 28 with Shadowfell Conspiracy)
    • Grants an Epic Destiny Past Life Feat
    • Feat based on selection of a maximized Epic Destiny
    • Karmic Bond -The active ED’s experience is now bonded through each ED True Reincarnation going forward
    • You must have a maximized, non-bonded ED to complete this TR
    • Adds 2 build points up to a 38 point build
    • Grants an Iconic Past Life Feat that can stack up to 3x if currently an iconic character
    • Grants a Class Past Life Feat (same as Heroic TR) if not an iconic character
    • Earns ranks from Epic Advantage
    • Resets all ED XP except for any destinies that have a Karmic Bond from a previous past life
    • Fate points are not carried over to next life, except for fate points from tomes and levels of ED's protected by Karmic Bonds

Notice I combined Iconic TRs into Epic TRs, just seemed less confusing that way, plus really anyone who gets to level 28 should get to bond an ED even if they started as iconic.

This still leaves us with an immense grind to fill all the options, but it does so without limiting players so drastically.

This does leave one key group mentioned earlier still affected, those who have already capped a large number of Epic Destinies and would like to participate with the Epic TRs without losing out on the benefits of their hard work getting to where they are now.
    For these players I think it would be fair to give them what they would deserve had they performed Epic TR's in the middle of their grind ED's.

In short for existing characters with at least 1 capped Epic Destiny when the system is released allow them to use Karmic Bond on an appropriate number of Destinies and let them keep their XP on an appropriate number of destinies. However only allow this once, the first time the character does an Epic TR. See the below for my recommendations:

• 1 Capped ED = 1 Karmic Bond
    • 2 Capped ED's = 1 Karmic Bond
    • 3 Capped ED's = 1 Karmic Bond
    • 4 Capped ED's = 1 Karmic Bond + 1 ED XP carried over
    • 5 Capped ED's = 2 Karmic Bond + 1 ED XP carried over
    • 6 Capped ED's = 2 Karmic Bond + 1 ED XP carried over
    • 7 Capped ED's = 2 Karmic Bond + 1 ED XP carried over
    • 8 Capped ED's = 2 Karmic Bond + 2 ED XP carried over
    • 9 Capped ED's = 3 Karmic Bond + 2 ED XP carried over
    • 10 Capped ED's = 3 Karmic Bond + 2 ED XP carried over
    • 11 Capped ED's = 3 Karmic Bond + 3 ED XP carried over

To get the following numbers I compared a projected 6.6 million epic XP to get to level 28 with 1.98 million XP per destiny.
    For example 11 capped destinies currently is 21.78 million XP. Which is enough to potentially reach level 28 three times and bond 3 different destinies. There is also enough XP available to level those three destinies back to cap during the process.

If this type of one time benefit could be designed it would allow everyone to decide whether or not to participate in the new grind for Epic XP without forcing people to change their plans.

PS. 12 Epic TRs at 6.6 million XP + 39 more per heroic class means there is an awful lot of potential lives now. Even starting at level 12 there could be 3 million xp per heroic life for a grand total of nearly 200 million xp to get all available past life feats. Good luck to any who attempt it.

Sorry for being so long winded, and hope the Turbine forum readers have time to sift through all the responses to look at the ideas presented. Among all the concerns there have been a large number of good ideas as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Edit: Rofl so I can't place italics in the title field, or edit the title field... good one... (facepalm)

The truth is, this Epic TR system could have been a fabulous plan. I mean that, I really do.

Unfortunately, for it to have been awesome you would've had to implement it ~ a year ago, around the same time you introduced epic destanies. Instead, you sold them (destanies) to us for a year, including the direct statement that destiny xp/levels would survive the TR process.

Now, you've simply changed your mind and said "oh yah, about that destiny surviving the TR process... Not gonna happen anymore, unless you start over. If you've already purchased them, and crafted your toons around that idea, well... Sucks to be you."

You see I, like many others I know, have spent the last year TRing one of my favorite characters. Leveling one destiny per life, so that when I was done I would have a completionist (with a few extra lives for things like maxed spell pen & DCs) with all destanies done and locked in. The whole point of this effort was so that when I was "done" the toon would only take minor up keep in order to keep up with power creep and stay at the top of her game. A new destiny comes out? Great, level that. A new class comes along? No biggie, just TR once to get the new past life (or three times if the stacking feat was really beneficial) and once more back to her main self.

Now?

Now, to achieve the same results, I will need to stop playing that (almost done) toon until this new system is implemented, TR again through more heroic lives than I could possibly get a benefit from (already having almost all the x3s that I wanted) just to get the destanies "locked in" so that they will survive the little bit of TRing I would have/want to do as new classes are eventually introduced.

Oh, not to mention that I would be doing this all going on faith that you won't at some point in the future arbitrarily make a new decision that again invalidates the time and effort I put in towards my goal. In terms of real world time, it has taken me almost a year to make the progress I have. It will take at least 6 months to catch back up to where I'm at now, with still a few months left to go to finish the project; and NO! I will not be purchasing your short cuts (xp pots/Ottos boxes etc) to mitigate this massive pita you have foisted upon me! I just might, however, be passing my entertainment time and money to a new game company. If I have to start over, it may as well be with someone who hasn't given me the shaft.

•To those who are going to come and say "if you see it as an unfun grind you shouldn't be doing it:"
    The journey has been fun. However I was looking forward to having a top notch toon built for running the hardest content & staying at "end game" as the level cap and such increased. Now I can't do that, at least not anytime in the near future. I was looking forward to starting on my next project. The first was a cleric, the next was a monk. Now I'm faced with a choice: abandon my cleric to start on my monk, or put off the monk indefinitely in order to eventually achieve what I was so close to having achieved already. That is not a fun choice to make.

•To those who are going to come and say "none of all that is necessary for a character to be playable:"
    I've got a garage full of hondas, this was going to be my first Ferrari. So yah, it may not be needed, but it was definitely wanted!
    I have not put all this work into a character but I can imagine those who have dealing with the proposed TR changes. And I do have EDs that I don't want to lose on TR, so I completely agree with this post.
    They have a point.

Dropping Epic Destiny Xp loss on normal heroic and iconic TRs,
    saving all our fate points and allowing us to earn more,
    saving our unlocked epic destinies,
    and seriously making huge major upgrades to Epic Disadvantage,
    could allow us to consider the current proposal.

Particularly if xp spirals are slowed down, something is done
    to allow one to funnel xp into non active destinies,
    past lives are shifted mostly into auto grant mode,
    fate points xp is gained regardless of active destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    I think a better approach would be to separate fate points from epic destiny levels. Give them their own xp bar (we already have 2 another one won't make much of a difference). I have no problem with someone being required to actually play a destiny that they want to twist abilities out of but needing to play a destiny that I have no interest in so I can twist abilities out of a totally different one seems silly. In addition they need to make some more connections so each sphere is connected to every other sphere by no more than 2 jumps. (or even better they are all interconnected) Something like this:

Code:
    0---0
    |\ /|
    | 0 |
    |/ \|
    0---0
    A darn good Concept and birds eye view.
    Separate Fate points from everything else.

Why did we grind out all those off beat epic destinies?

We wanted fate points.

Why did we want fate points?

Because Twists are the most awesome DDO wonder of the year.

Why push all epic xp into a Fate XP bar?
    This solves a lot of problems...

I still prefer

Heroic TRing works as normal without any changes at all.

Iconic TRing is available at the 28~30ish range and does
    not affect your epic destiny xp at all.

Anytime you Epic TR, a dialog opens up.
    "Which capped Epic Destiny would you like to bind
    and gain the past life for?"

At that point you choose which Destiny you wish.
    This prevents people accidently being in the wrong destiny.
    This epic destiny applies to epic advantage and its xp
    is reset to zero.

Also anytime you use any kind of TR, another dialog opens up.
    "Would you like to use Epic Advantage?"

You can reply yes or no.

If the answer if no, then you keep all your epic destiny xp
    except an epic destiny that is capped and will be bound during this TR.

If the answer is yes, then you can mark one by one,
    each unbound epic destiny you would like to convert to heroic xp.
    {The reason one would want to do this is to farm more
    fate points in an enjoyable destiny.}

A new dialog pops up.
    "Would you like to return to level 20 or begin a new life?"

If you choose return to level 20, then you lose your epic
    levels and are placed on the heart of wind with a +0 lesser heart..

If you are Epic TRing into a new life then you receive either a class past life
    or an iconic past life depending on what your current character is.

With epic TRing your new life starts at level 1 as heroic class or level 15 as iconic class.
    You are granted bonus xp for any epic advantage applied. This xp
    is hard capped and you must take it before earning more xp.

When you reach epic levels and gain a level in any epic destiny
    whether it has been reset or not this level is added to your fate counter:
    epic destiny levels gained / 3 = fate points

Heroic Class Completionist becomes an auto grant feat at level one.
    It is the same as the normal Completionist feat.

Iconic Completionist becomise an auto grant feat at level one.
    It grants you a bonus feat?

Epic Completionist becomes an auto grant feat at level twenty.
    It grants you an extra twist slot and X fate points.

For every four Epic Destinies bound you receive an extra twist slot.
    Twist remain capped at level four.

Any destiny that was previously unlocked remains unlock for the next life,
    regardless of ED XP resets.

But players would love this point dealt with:

Quote Originally Posted by fluffi View Post
    Another way to do it.
    You have max ED, bond it and then you epic TR back to 20.
    While levelling you choose an ED (as usual) to gain XP from. BUT you now have the option to use your bonded ED instead of your chosen one while still gaining XP for the chosen one.
    Again, it gets back into Fate points being diamonds in the rough...

Give us fate point options and you win our attention to consider.

Fawngate is a healer, she empathizes with others.

She was sad yesterday as she could feel the sadness of others.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

If you see the later posts here, you'll see further proposals on how you can Epic TR and start at a range of levels. I like the idea of being able to start at level 1, 4 or 7 with or without the Advantage boost. That to me is a much better set of options and gives fair compensation for the loss of ED XP.

Are you saying that you want more than one heroic rank per ED rank and also saying that you want to start at level 1 at the same time? I'm not sure how you can make that work.

Following the best suggestion I've come across from Tscheuss, you would have the option of starting at Level 1, if you choose to, or using your full Advantage and starting at level 18, or a number of options inbetween.

If you're trying to come up with a solution where you can Epic TR but the cost is removed just because we already have our ED's capped then I'll happily disagree with your opinion on how it should be. I'm happy with there being a cost to Epic TRing, I'm even happy with the proposed cost, but I would like to see the compensation increased as described in the linked post. I would also like the ED Past Lives to be powerful enough to further compensate for the additional effort in gaining them.

I wonder how she will react to the final end of all this?

Thanks Cordovan that was quick.
    Congratulations on your new forum title Deadlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    I still prefer

This prevents people accidently being in the wrong destiny.
    This epic destiny applies to epic advantage and its xp
    is reset to zero.

Also anytime you use any kind of TR, another dialog opens up.
    "Would you like to use Epic Advantage?"

You can reply yes or no.

If the answer if no, then you keep all your epic destiny xp
    except an epic destiny that is capped and will be bound during this TR.

If the answer is yes, then you can mark one by one,
    each unbound epic destiny you would like to convert to heroic xp.
    {The reason one would want to do this is to farm more
    fate points in an enjoyable destiny.}

A new dialog pops up.

With epic TRing your new life starts at level 1 as heroic class or level 15 as iconic class.

I failed my WOT save the first fifteen times you posted this, but I actually read through it this time and I have to say I agree with 90% of your suggestions here. I think this probably should be the blueprint Turbine uses to make changes to the TR mechanics.

I also think that anyone who ETRs should lose ALL epic XPs and EDs (not fate points though) except for the ones they've bonded. No grandfathering for the shearing/rustedblades/pre-change epic challenge grinders who maxxed them out in a weekend or two. No grandfathering for players who have earned their EDs over many months through playing all the 40-odd epic level quests a few times each and from slayers because they enjoyed doing it like me. It's just the price of epic TRing.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    If you see the later posts here, you'll see further proposals
    Choices are good, we like choices.
    If you're trying to come up with a solution where you can Epic TR but the cost is removed just because we already have our ED's capped then I'll happily disagree with your opinion on how it should be. I'm happy with there being a cost to Epic TRing, I'm even happy with the proposed cost, but I would like to see the compensation increased as described in the linked post. I would also like the ED Past Lives to be powerful enough to further compensate for the additional effort in gaining them.
    I think a lot of people want to get out of the line of fire from Epic Disadvantage Explosions.

If the Devs want to make Epic TRing for the uber with uber rewards,
    and allow normal heroic and iconic TRing without ED XP explosions,
    then many would be willing to shrug their shoulders and walk on.

Those willing to make the grind, would be allowed to choose to do so.

Its all about granting choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    I also think that anyone who ETRs should lose ALL epic XPs and EDs (not fate points though) except for the ones they've bonded. No grandfathering for the shearing/rustedblades/pre-change epic challenge grinders who maxxed them out in a weekend or two. No grandfathering for players who have earned their EDs over many months through playing all the 40-odd epic level quests a few times each and from slayers because they enjoyed doing it like me. It's just the price of epic TRing.
    I am willing to blow up my ED XP with a TR into Iconic and use the Epic Disadvantage
    to level up quite a bit on my first Iconic Life.

Again, I want fate points saved, unlocked destinies saved, the masses protected from Epic
    Disadvantage, uber bonuses, the ability to earn more fate points per normal, and
    a pizza delivered to my house....

Community Member

Default Epic Advantage should let me choose what to skip

Quote Originally Posted by Glin View Post
    Epic Advantage

With any type of True Reincarnation, all Epic Destiny Levels earned will give you an advantage when you rebuild your character, by converting Destiny Levels into Heroic Ranks. Every level of Epic Destiny you have earned will count toward ranks earned for your next life. (Epic Destinies will not carry over to your next life, except those destinies that you have bonded in previous lives with ED TR.)
    If (and only if) The concept of Epic Advantage survives the redesign after the feedback is taken into consideration (I'm being optimistic today).

I'd suggest that the implementation be changed. Instead of giving us the bubbles that are most convenient for you to code, give us the ability to decide which bubbles/levels we skip.

I'd suggest something like a BTA Heroic Stone of Leveling +1 that allows us to skip a level of our choice. It works by giving your toon the amount of xp it would take to get from the beginning of the current level to the end of the current level. Each 5 Bubbles you would have given us from the Epic Advantage above become one Stone of Leveling +1. Different players and different toons have different dry spells in the leveling process, but no experienced player has a dry spell in the lower levels. Skipping the first bubbles is pretty useless. Skipping levels 15 and 16 if I'm trying to hold EGH for epic leveling is pretty valuable. Skipping level 18 and 19 would skip some of the biggest grind areas...

Either give us the choice, or skip the bubbles at the end of the leveling process instead of the beginning.
    TPICKRELL forum identity still broken, 15 weeks and counting... So yet another throw away Forum identity

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    I failed my WOT save the first fifteen times you posted this, but I actually read through it this time and I have to say I agree with 90% of your suggestions here. I think this probably should be the blueprint Turbine uses to make changes to the TR mechanics.

So you would like something like this:
    {beware WOT warning}

So a bit of change?

This epic destiny xp becomes bound and safe.
    All unbound ED XP is converted into Epic Disadvantage.

A new dialog pops up.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubbby View Post
    Either give us the choice, or skip the bubbles at the end of the leveling process instead of the beginning.
    So far it looks like Epic Disadvantage works much much better for someone TRing into an Iconic.
    In fact Epic TR probably should be mostly done in conjuction with an Iconic life so as to double up the past lives.

It might be better to do 1 thru 20 with a normal TR and get the heroic past life
    without going all the way to 28?

Hopefully the Iconic Past lives will be nice and auto grant.
    Hopefully we will see more Iconics such as:
    Kobold Island Shaman
    Forgotten Gnome Illusionist
    Drow Warlock
    Etc...

Hi. Thanks again for your feedback and opinions on the proposed design of the new Epic TR. Here are some of the things the team is currently thinking about.

We understand your concern about losing Epic Destiny XP upon reincarnation and not getting enough in return. So, we are investigating some different possibilities in regard to what a character gets after they reincarnate with Epic TR. We’d like to offer a system where the character gets credit for every XP they “burn” from an epic destiny. One scenario for this is that Epic Destiny XP will be converted to heroic XP (using a formula that adjusts for the different rates at which heroic and epic XP are gained). This converted XP would then be used to level up your reincarnated character. This could mean, for example, that a character with a large number of destinies maxed out could immediately level back up to level 20 even as a third life character. Again, this is just an example of one of the things we are considering, but it’s a definite possibility.

Also, to answer a couple of additional questions:

1. With the current design, after this system goes live, going through a Heroic TR will burn non-bonded epic destiny XP, but the character will be compensated for the burned XP. In other words, Heroic TR will work just like Epic TR except it will be available at level 20 instead of level cap and it will not grant Epic past life feats. Allowing Heroic TR to preserve ED XP sort of short-circuits the system, providing a weird incentive to avoid epic level play. You should use Heroic TR if you’d like to reincarnate at level 20 and want the benefits that Heroic TR gives (build points, past life feat). Otherwise, you should consider continuing up to level cap and reincarnating from there where you will get all the benefits of Heroic TR plus the additional benefit of Epic TR (epic past life feats).

2. Currently, store bought Fate Points will be preserved after reincarnation. This will not change. We are investigating ways to somehow preserve regular in-game earned Fate Points, but, behind the scenes, they are different than store bought ones, so it is not completely certain that we will be able to preserve them. If we cannot preserve them, we will look for ways to compensate a character for them.

Stay tuned for more info and explanations of this new system proposal early next week.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    So far it looks like Epic Disadvantage works much much better for someone TRing into an Iconic.
    In fact Epic TR probably should be mostly done in conjuction with an Iconic life so as to double up the past lives.

It might be better to do 1 thru 20 with a normal TR and get the heroic past life
    without going all the way to 28?

Hopefully the Iconic Past lives will be nice and auto grant.
    Hopefully we will see more Iconics such as:
    Kobold Island Shaman
    Forgotten Gnome Illusionist
    Drow Warlock
    Etc...
    I agree the system as currently described favors the iconic tr cycle very heavily because 15 is at the start of the more difficult range of leveling for most toons.

I'd be much less aggravated by loosing my destiny XP if I could choose when and on what toon I was going to use the Epic disAdvantage bubbles.

Before an Iconic TR cycle, I'd probably grind out a few levels in Dun Robar just to speed up the process. It wouldn't take very long at all to get you to the point where you could start at level 17 or 18. If this part of the system stays intact, and assuming the Iconic past lives are decent, Iconic completionist could be very popular.
    TPICKRELL forum identity still broken, 15 weeks and counting... So yet another throw away Forum identity

Default Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    While we the players appreciate the preliminary information, there are simply too many vague points that have not been touched upon to offer any solid advice or ideas, IMO.

Here is an alternate idea scheme:

1. Heroic TR's - Change NOTHING.
    2. Epic TR's -

Sets character back to level 20.
    You get 1 epic past life feat based on the destiny you currently have active (if capped).
    All Destiny xp is reset IN THAT ONE you just received a past life feat for.
    Fate points and twists remain exactly as they are.

Simple, clean, and uncluttered.
    It never fails to amaze me how ridiculously convoluted you guys make things sometimes.
    KISS.
    Dano you are spot on!!
    Devs - Keep it simple stupid or if you prefer to feel more wise you can go with a multitude of the smart and wise:

“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.”
    - Confucius

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”
    - Leonardo da Vinci

“Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify.”
    - Henry David Thoreau

“Or, rather, let us be more simple and less vain.”
    - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

“Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple.”
    - Pete Seeger

“Life is indeed terribly complicated—to a man who has lost his principles.”
    - G.K. Chesterton

Do not deceive yourselves. If any of you think you are wise by the standards of this age, you should become “fools” so that you may become wise.
    - 1 Corinthians 3:18 (NIV)

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”?*
    - Albert Einstein

“A child of five could understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.”
    - Groucho Marx

Page 35 of 89 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast