Default I anyone else as excited about Purple Dragon Knight Iconics as I am?

Cormyrian Knight Training: You now use Charisma or Strength (whichever is higher) for Hit and Damage with shortswords, longswords, bastard swords, and greatswords.

Rallying Cry: Action Boost: You and all allies within your aura gain +20% movement speed, a +(1/2/3) Morale bonus to Saving Throws. This ability can be used while feared, and dispels fear effects.

“For Cormyr!”: Once per rest, heal completely. If you are below 25% of your maximum hit points when this ability is used, you and all nearby allies gain your CHA modifier to hit and damage.
    With information concerning TR and LR of iconics 'coming soon' I have been biting at the bit. This looks like a huge boon to potential Bards, Favored Souls, or Paladins, with the ability to dump STR and still keep up with your melee. Power Attack seems to be the only real sticking point, but even dropping to 9-11 STR aiming for tomes to unlock Power Attack at higher levels seems amazing for stat distribution.

There would no longer even be any questions concerning stat distribution; extra CHA adds simultaneously to DPS and survivability. It would make early leveling on a Sorc fairly straightforward, a quick masters touch and swing around a Greatsword with full hit/dmg bonuses.

The only real question I have to the devs is if I should be leveling up an alt in time for the expansion to drop so that I can have him ready to TR into a PDK?

Quote Originally Posted by grausherra View Post
    With information concerning TR and LR of iconics 'coming soon' I have been biting at the bit. This looks like a huge boon to potential Bards, Favored Souls, or Paladins, with the ability to dump STR and still keep up with your melee. Power Attack seems to be the only real sticking point, but even dropping to 9-11 STR aiming for tomes to unlock Power Attack at higher levels seems amazing for stat distribution.

There would no longer even be any questions concerning stat distribution; extra CHA adds simultaneously to DPS and survivability. It would make early leveling on a Sorc fairly straightforward, a quick masters touch and swing around a Greatsword with full hit/dmg bonuses.

The only real question I have to the devs is if I should be leveling up an alt in time for the expansion to drop so that I can have him ready to TR into a PDK?
    I would not expect to be able to TR any iconics when the xpac comes out, if that happens... it would likely be later this year.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Community Member

yea.... no you dont TR INTO an inconic, It starts at lvl 1 with enough EXP to level up to 15, with the first level automatically being picked for you (bladeforge = paladin, PDK = fighter, Morninglord = cleric, Shadar-kai=rogue), and once you hit 15 you get some starter gear, which... for the most part does enable you to be viable (atleast the bladeforge stuff did, had a mod fort item but since they start with 25% fort as a warforge they had 100% total which was alright))

I doubt that TRing INTO iconics will ever be implimented, if it was they could've just made the iconics a race that gave the special feat (which gives benefits to both ALL classes that use it (such as -10% slashing and +1 ppr per slashing hit) as well as that only benefits if they go through the true class (such as repair spells being added to the paladin spell list). would've made alot more sense.

that being said, a dev did say TR'ing was in the future, but then again so is this 'epic TR' which they havent released much information about.

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

I was about to post on iconics myself I swear my next thread is not trying to steal your thunder The obvious thing to point out is your Charisma investment gives exactly one boost per rest to you, along with weapon to-hit/damage. So your build might want to add more ways to get synergy from CHA.

Almost have to splash 2 Pali to get awesome saves for all that Charisma, and then maybe Rogue to get UMD as a class skill (though with max CHA cross class UMD would be totally viable with a little effort) OTOH:

1 Fighter 2 Pali 17 Sorc is very interesting if you ever wanted a "Gish" battle caster that would seem to be the way to go. I've got something similar (2 pali 18 Sorc) in a Bladeforged using Dynastic Falcata (CHA for to hit and damage, and 2 red augments). I think it works a little better for a sorc (9th level spells) but the weapon choice is carved in stone until Feather upgrades the Epics to correspond to the heroic versions that got new polish with the augment system (such as Dynastic Falcata).

Quote Originally Posted by Violith View Post
    yea.... no you dont TR INTO an inconic, It starts at lvl 1 with enough EXP to level up to 15, with the first level automatically being picked for you (bladeforge = paladin, PDK = fighter, Morninglord = cleric, Shadar-kai=rogue), and once you hit 15 you get some starter gear, which... for the most part does enable you to be viable (atleast the bladeforge stuff did, had a mod fort item but since they start with 25% fort as a warforge they had 100% total which was alright))

I doubt that TRing INTO iconics will ever be implimented, if it was they could've just made the iconics a race that gave the special feat (which gives benefits to both ALL classes that use it (such as -10% slashing and +1 ppr per slashing hit) as well as that only benefits if they go through the true class (such as repair spells being added to the paladin spell list). would've made alot more sense.

that being said, a dev did say TR'ing was in the future, but then again so is this 'epic TR' which they havent released much information about.
    I fail to see a reason why they would not also allow TRing INTO an iconic character, without the bonus 15 levels of course. I am sure they didn't make them a race to start is because they pretty much expected to never allow any reincarnation of any sort, until the playerbase took up arms and pitchforks and raised a fuss about not being able to LR/TR as an iconic. Now that they have backed off on that restriction I pretty much expect them to work towards them functioning like any other race.

By the looks of this post, I would assume that no one else is as excited about PDK as you are.

Based on what I understand, I would expect dumping STR for CHA to lead to lower DPS; you won't be able to qualify for Overwhelming Critical without 23 STR, and STR is a lot easier to boost (Primal, Morale bonuses) than CHA. You're also limiting yourself to four specific weapon types, which may cause problems depending on what the next tier of weaponry looks like.

The other bonuses don't seem that amazing either; Rallying Cry isn't going to make anything die faster, and the once-per-rest full heal is a cute Lay on Hands, but isn't going to be a substitute for sustainable self-healing. I'll hold final judgment until the unique racial enhancement trees to be released, but as of now it's hard to foresee anything to be excited about based on what limited information has been released when combined with the inability to TR into or out of the Iconic.
    Forcin - Orien

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ensis View Post
    By the looks of this post, I would assume that no one else is as excited about PDK as you are.

Based on what I understand, I would expect dumping STR for CHA to lead to lower DPS; you won't be able to qualify for Overwhelming Critical without 23 STR, and STR is a lot easier to boost (Primal, Morale bonuses) than CHA. You're also limiting yourself to four specific weapon types, which may cause problems depending on what the next tier of weaponry looks like.

The other bonuses don't seem that amazing either; Rallying Cry isn't going to make anything die faster, and the once-per-rest full heal is a cute Lay on Hands, but isn't going to be a substitute for sustainable self-healing. I'll hold final judgment until the unique racial enhancement trees to be released, but as of now it's hard to foresee anything to be excited about based on what limited information has been released when combined with the inability to TR into or out of the Iconic.
    I think you're kinda missing the point to play devils advocate No one building a Bard, or Pali does so to be the absolute best possible Strength based Melee DPS. The CHA synergy is in putting all your eggs into one basket, Pali Divine grace is CHA based, but only Sorc's have a reason to pump CHA to max for spell DC's... if you have the excuse to use it for to hit and dmg then suddenly good saves from a Pali splash become ridiculous saves... when you add in Divine might prequisits (14, 16, 18 and 20 CHA needed per tier) and suddenly the heavy investment in CHA for divine might is looking like a huge synergy, as 8 STR and a +6 diamond will give you all the carrying capacity you'll ever need.

Profane STR, Primal and Morale (I think there's a Morale CHA bonus IIRC but I could be wrong) take a back seat to all that single ability synergy. 6 or 8 damage is not the end of the world unless you're building a "biggest damage numbers possible" build in which case you weren't interested in a Bard or Pali anyway.

The simple fact is a CHA based toon that melee's is much better off if they don't need to split build points between CHA and STR, and then level one of them up.

Will it have lower relative DPS to a max STR toon? Sure it will, will that matter to a Bard that had to start with 15 STR? Or Pali that doesn't get STR enhancements, but does get CHA? Nope...

Community Member

Default Iconic-Specific Quests

I'm not that excited about Iconics (fine with my current toon), but I did take note of the Designer Forum in which the Iconic creator talked about a quest the fallen PDK iconic could complete to restore his/her lost honor.

Special quests open only to Iconics? I'm interested in seeing how that plays out - heck, I may roll one up just to do the special quest.

nope

I don't get iconic heroes.

If you want to be iconic, just make your own character and prove yourself iconic through your actions.

Psh... what is this.. premade glory stuff....

Default Icon TR with Update 20

• Zig Zag to avoid arrows, Fireballs, Fireball-tipped arrow, and arrow-tipped Fireballs.
    • That's not lag, it's just DDO trying to become turn-based again.
    • Kobold still hate you.