Community Member

Default For a first time TR...

...who doesn't have quite enough points to buy the heart of wood required, what is the most efficient way to grind for the tokens? This would be the first time I've ever TRed and even got a character this high. I've returned to the game after a long long long time away (the last time I played seriously the level cap was 12...). I'm VIP, my character is a lvl 20 pure Arti and I have duo'ed all the way up to 20 with the same partner who is in the same situation.

Help/Advice/Tips? Thanks in advance.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by blowlotsup View Post
    ...who doesn't have quite enough points to buy the heart of wood required, what is the most efficient way to grind for the tokens? This would be the first time I've ever TRed and even got a character this high. I've returned to the game after a long long long time away (the last time I played seriously the level cap was 12...). I'm VIP, my character is a lvl 20 pure Arti and I have duo'ed all the way up to 20 with the same partner who is in the same situation.

If you're will to GRIND the tokens(emphasize on GRIND), the house cannith challenges should be the quickest.
    I find that Extraplaner Mining: Labour Shortage or one of the Time is money ones works best.
    You can turn 300 of those mats in for one epic token. So depending how good you are 5 - 20 Minutes per token about.
    It's really tedious though.

Community Member

Honestly I'd suggest you NOT TR, at least not yet.

Epic Destinies are a grind that can make you want to shoot yourself if you really want to develop them.

An excellent strategy is earing a little ED XP every time you level, before you TR. This is good because on each time you TR you get those fresh first time bonuses again and that goes a long way to help with the grind (plus gives you a break between running the epic quests). It also gives you a chance to get a few epic items every time you level, making the next time easier.

I'd say just run epic quests you like and continue levelling until you have your 20 tokens and consider the ED XP free XP. Don't put yourself into the grinder if you don't have to.

And welcome back

Epic Sentinals of Stormreach final quest (I forget the name) is pretty simple to manage on ENormal. So is Epic Snitch in House P's Carnival series. I used those two, mostly, to get my True Druidic Heart when I TR'd my rogue, Ghaelii. Was a lot of fun, got some good scrolls and such as well as the shards to make Tokens of the Twelve for the heart.

Best of luck! Remember to have fun.
    There is no free lunch.

Solo or duo Epic Normal Devil Assault. There are two chests that have pretty high chances to drop full Tokens of the Twelve. The quest is generally pretty easy and only takes thirty minutes per run, especially if you have Master's Blitz available via Legendary Dreadnaught.

To maximize your tokens, open the group up near the end of the quest but before you kill the final boss, advertising 'Free Chests for Passed Tokens'. Make sure everyone is inside the quest before you kill the final boss, as anyone not in the group and in the dungeon will not be able to open the epic chest. Most people aren't jerks and will pass tokens while happily taking any greensteel materials that appear with their name attached. I would assume about 1.5 tokens to drop per person with six people in total; that's an average of 9 tokens if you solo, 4.5 tokens if you duo per run. You'll be able to TR in about four hours or less.

Do not do the quest on Epic Hard, however; the epic chest will only drop fragments of tokens on that difficulty, not full tokens.
    Last edited by Ensis; 06-12-2013 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo.
    Forcin - Orien

Community Member

Most efficient, Cannith Challenges. Best guarranteed token, Labor Shortage where you should be able to average 1 token (@ 300 mats)/10minutes. Basically 5 hours of grinding iirc, but you do earn XP and if you become fairly good at the palace challenges its not usually hard to get people to join up as most of the Cannith Gear still has really good value for the effort to level 20 - 23 toons and some beyond that (plus you can solo Labor Shortage with Hires and still do well). Break the grind up over a week, and you'll barely notice it.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Citzen_Gkar View Post
    Honestly I'd suggest you NOT TR, at least not yet.

Epic Destinies are a grind that can make you want to shoot yourself if you really want to develop them.

An excellent strategy is earing a little ED XP every time you level, before you TR. This is good because on each time you TR you get those fresh first time bonuses again and that goes a long way to help with the grind (plus gives you a break between running the epic quests). It also gives you a chance to get a few epic items every time you level, making the next time easier.

I'd say just run epic quests you like and continue levelling until you have your 20 tokens and consider the ED XP free XP. Don't put yourself into the grinder if you don't have to.

And welcome back
    This is good advice to consider.

Community Member

Epic Devil's Assault is a fairly nice quest for farming Tokens. But the Cannith Challenges seem to get them much more quickly. Labor Shortage was mentioned before, and it is a great one. Buying Time and Time is Money are also great ones to break up the monotony abit.

You should also consider the wisdom of not TRing at this time, unless you have a compelling reason to want to do so. The power gained by TRing is not very great compared to the power gained through Epic Destinies. And with the increase in the level cap while only receiving a handful of new quests it will become more difficult to get XP for your Epic Destinies, at least until the higher levels slowly become populated by more quests over the many months following the expansion. Additionally, there are often rewards for hitting new content right away after it is released, which you are unlikely to be able to do if you do not have another character setting at cap while your other TRs.

Additionally, the upcoming Enhancement Tree changes are going to entirely reshape the game and the way that characters are built. At the very least it may be best to wait until after this revolutionary change, so that you do not get stuck in the situation where your TRed character's build gets nerfed into oblivion and you find yourself having to restart again.

Community Member

I would have to agree with the hold on TR'ing for a bit but i would add run some of the older epics aka Eberron epics and you will end up with enough tokens in no time just from enjoying the regular content. If you prefer a grind than Cannith challenges are the fastest way to get tokens now. Just my 2cp hope it helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    *fist shake* "Back in my day, we had to run the Coalescence Chamber up hill both ways! There wasn't even snow and the only slippery ice you could find was sleet storm! We had to imagine what snow would look like at Festivult time, and we liked it!"
    http://soundboards.cubicleninja.com/

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I find just doing every epic I can get my paws on nets me a nice amount of tokens. People tend to underestimate the acquisition rate since they stopped giving out whole tokens but took out the timers.

And as for the point above about the ed's, keep in mind that that is one point of view. My point of view is I do 2 ed's a life, and by doing all the epics, not grinding rusted blades over and over. I don't need to have ALL THE ED"S right now. If that's important to you, listen to that poster. If it's not, don't sweat it. Even the toon I ground out all the pdk favor on and am not tr'ing so she can upgrade stuff on I have capped out 7 destinies this life just going from quest to quest having a grand old time, and earned something like 90 tokens from her alone. Maybe more, I can't remember how many I spent on stuff.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

Thanks everyone for all your advice, and I'd thought about holding it off for a while but I think as soon as I'm able to, I'm going to TR. Why? Because I've had 20 levels of two people constantly doing: *plink plink plink* *reload* *plink plink plink* *reload* *plink plink plink* with repeaters and it has been slowly driving me insane. ^_^ I have a Greater Tome of Learning on this character, plus a mapped out level guide for XP gain, so getting back to 20 with a Bravery Bonus won't take long at all.

I don't mind the idea of grinding, but I think I'll take the suggestion of just duoing the content (that we can manage) on EpicNormal just to see how many tokens we can get that way, and if we need much more then I'll put an advertisements for help with some challenges or Devil's Assault. I'll confess that I don't know a single thing about the challenges or what they even are, so I have a bit of research to do.

Their is no such thing as pure dps until you have flushed out your Epic destiny. For instance an arti. Great at lower levels,.. kinda blows further up. But take that arti and slap him in shirardi or draconic. And BAM BABY! Sexy dmg and dc's and everything.

Hell if I was playing melee to 20 id probably wanna cut my own characters head off to end it all.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

So perhaps I should re-ask this question now there's the whole ED TR exp thing going on soon. Thoughts?

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

So perhaps I should re-ask this question now there's the whole ED TR exp thing going on soon. Thoughts?
    Soon is Update 20 at the earliest, which will be back end of the year most likely. I can't see many people mothballing their characters until then.

I'm also working on the assumption that the good folks at Turbine listen to the outcry and come back some time soon to confirm that Heroic TRing will not affect ED XP in any way at all.

Even when I was itching to TR again, I would still do a runabout on Epics, Kings Forest and Schind explorers for some easy and fast XP to put into your destinies. If you do a bit each life, it becomes really straight forward to cap multiple destines and get your favour points up.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Citzen_Gkar View Post
    Id temper this advice, though, by saying dont take more than one Epic Destiny right now. As it stands, you're going to lose all but one Destiny if you ever Epic TR, so you're wasting your time if you level up two or more before U20. Especially if you're just starting to TR now, it might be November or December before you're done and ready to move to Epic full-time, at which point Epic TR may be implemented.

Run through your Epic quests for the favor, hit all your milestones for free TP before you TR, just dont invest anything into Epic that you wont want to lose and have to do over in a few months...

As for grinding tokens, Time is Money hands-down. You can earn a token every 10 mins easily, every 5 mins if you get lucky with your maps and get lots of purples near teleporters.

Community Member

i think that fastest way to get tokens is servants of overlord. for this method you need 5 other players, preferably guildmates. if you dont have helpfull friends, just state that you can pass any loot you get for tokens. on eh you should get 2 tokens/player if you do optional. 6 players * 2 tokens = 12 tokens in one run.

P.S. it's been a while since my last visit in this quest so i'm not exactly sure if droprates haven't change.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by pitong View Post
    P.S. it's been a while since my last visit in this quest so i'm not exactly sure if droprates haven't change.
    The optional doesn't drop anything anymore and the end chest just drops fragments.