Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

Yknow,

my main builds can't/dont know how/cant find people to help with this "window farming".

My main builds do not have access to DDoor (well one does via dragonmarks, gets 3 of em...how do they help in Rusted Blades farming?)

My main builds don't trap.

So I -constantly- feel discriminated against. All the other builds get access to the bugs and features that allow them to farm XP fast.

Not to mention that I'm not good at repeating quests until my eyes bleed, having to do them slow makes it twice as bad.

I know all builds are created equal, but for the purposes of ED farming, I would have preferred my build had some advantages of their own.

So, I gave up on ED farming.
    I haven't yet TRed, dont want the grind.

So I await new content and possibly Iconics...new things to try in game.

And yes I can make new builds, they take a heck of a long time for me to level and it seems repetitive...

Quote Originally Posted by darthhento View Post
    It's amusing to watch of how little you know about the game.
    Funny you're writing this, especially in the contrast with the way the community responds to the statement about the new TR system

Who voted for that?

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post
    Funny you're writing this, especially in the contrast with the way the community responds to the statement about the new TR system

Who voted for that?

Turbine deciding to monetize everything is why. I am not sure anyone wants all their xp to vanish.

It does not matter if it is OP or an exploit, if Turbine is getting a cut, all is good. Like that or not, it is true.

They must not be selling enough tomes of learning or xp pots. This is one reason why they may be doing as they are. Or it could also be that they are putting none of the otto’s box money back into the game so we will have a very small expansion and people would quit playing again after a month and having everyone to 28. Now Turbine has a grind to keep players around.

The more that they put cash grab in the store and ignore what we truly want, the harder my wallet stay shut.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

I do wonder as i read this thread how many of the posters have ever played actual pen and paper dungeons and dragons. I think most of you would find 98% of that game to be tedium.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

I know I said I was done but... SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET!

I have no problem with this. Just read title of the thread: A statement: "Zerg count noticeably increased". You finally can agree with that.
    Is it good or bad for the game?
    It it good or bad for newcomers?
    Can the game in this state compete with other MMO games? (NWO for example).
    Can I look forward to meet the new ppls i my poor pug groups or will I meet old veterans abusing my group to help him achieve their 100st run in record time?
    Your justification that zerging has increased is, people making use of a bug to farm rusted blades 10 seconds faster, and to do traps 10 seconds faster.

Neither of these point to an increase in the amount of people zerging. As I've stated before, before this bug people just ignored traps with the exception of the 15% bonus. Now, they ignore them all the same. But it gives trappers a chance to actually catch up to the group and enjoy the quest as a party. Ironic that you're upset about this; Don't most people here think people who zerg just split up and do there own thing, with little or no team work? This bug is actually providing the trapper to do just what you want. To be part of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    I do wonder as i read this thread how many of the posters have ever played actual pen and paper dungeons and dragons. I think most of you would find 98% of that game to be tedium.
    I have in fact played pnp. For years. And the tedium there is much different than what we have in this game. In pnp my parties were rarely split up, because that was usually when people started to die. And even if the party was split up, because you had a DM explaining everything to the entire group, and people RPing and explaining what they were doing you never missed anything. There was never a moment when one heard *ding* *ding* *ding* And thought, oh **** what happened?! Because you knew what happened.

It also helped greatly that pnp was turn based, where as things MMO is not.

The tedium in pnp was easily looked over for the fun you were having and the conversations taking place.
    This can't always be the case in DDO sadly.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Okay, more general question. What do you expect from the game? Why you playing?
    An enjoyable game. I don't not find it overly exciting to sit there for several seconds disarming a trap. Especially in quests with an absurd number of traps like Shadow Knight. The only people I believe who could find this enjoyable are those who roleplay and those who build "trap rogues" (aka those who are seem to believe a rogue is only there to trap and act as a room decoration).
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post

I have in fact played pnp. For years. And the tedium there is much different than what we have in this game. In pnp my parties were rarely split up, because that was usually when people started to die. And even if the party was split up, because you had a DM explaining everything to the entire group, and people RPing and explaining what they were doing you never missed anything. There was never a moment when one heard *ding* *ding* *ding* And thought, oh **** what happened?! Because you knew what happened.

It also helped greatly that pnp was turn based, where as things MMO is not.

The tedium in pnp was easily looked over for the fun you were having and the conversations taking place.
    This can't always be the case in DDO sadly.
    This

pnp is a different animal from ddo. While ddo is based on dnd it is an mmo and has fundamental differences from pnp in how they work. That said the best part of pnp is sitting down with a group of friends and engaging in an activity. Luckily this also translates well to mmo's with chat and voice chat, and is something that I love as I've gotten older and friends from college have spread out to different states ext due to jobs ext. It allows a social activity with people in different geographical locations and really is the heart of any pnp experience.... your friends.

Community Member

OMG, this is the game! You cannot vote for rules. You can simply not play the game if you not aggree with the rules.
    Strawmen AGAIN? Do you ever just respond to the comment directly?

I never said the word vote. I said lobby. Lobby is what you do to politicians to get them to change a law, and its what we do to devs to get them to change a mechanic here.

Community Member

I have been playing pen and paper since I was in grade 7 or 8. I've played basic, expert, Advanced D&D, AD&D 3.x, and AD&D 4e. I have been both players and DMs in all of those editions and am currently DMing for a group.

In no version of D&D did I ever say to the players or have a DM say to me "ok, lets stand here for 15 seconds because the rogue/thief/monk just said he was picking a lock/disarming a trap". In fact except in 4e, disarm was a standard or one round action. The game would go, "roll to disable", "I got a 25", "you disabled the trap". No delays.

You might be right?

But if you are, all your observation proves is why the people are actually playing this gme right now instead of pen and paper. One game is a fun MMO, the other is a fun tabletop game.

Who voted for that?

You should totally go out and create the kind of game you want.

You know the one,

Where there are no 'striders' (so 0% run speed)
    Traps take 2 minutes to disable (and probably involve puzzles?)
    Party members are tied together with a cord, so cannot split up
    After you finish a quest, you need to walk back to the start to finish out.
    Every monster in the dungeon must be hunted down and killed, and before they die every party member must hit them at least once.

I can see this being wildly popular and making you stacks of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by AsburyParker View Post
    I suspect that the bug is a result of getting the game ready for the new rogue enhancements, which let search and disable occur faster.
    On Lam I checked a new ability on my Arti I built with the alpha enhancements... It was called something like "The book of all seeing"...

Basically it's like the spot hidden(?) spell in that I didn't even have to search for traps or secret doors anymore, provided my skill was at least 4 above the required minimum for success. If I didn't automatically see the trap/door, I'd still get the sense that it was there and then could search, if need be. This sped things up quite a bit.

Now I'd like to see having more disable device skill have the effect of speeding up the act of disabling... After all, the more times you disassemble/reassemble a mechanism the quicker you get at doing so.

I just don't want to see easy traps just throwing themselves open when I walk by 8^)

It might be fun if we could re-enable traps to go off on mobs, though...
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

Quote Originally Posted by Citzen_Gkar View Post
    And why is a long delay needed for resting? Generally everything is dead when you rest. It ads nothing.

You actually use the shrine in KA? Why? lol

In any event, its not at all hard, there are long and predictable breaks between waves, it adds no challenge unless you are a pretty bad player, and those ones probably don't need more challenge.

The CitW timer is a different thing entirely. You can't compare it at all. That's more akin to putting a delay on the use of a rez shrine, which you don't seem to even think needs a delay lol
    More to the point, needing a group to run KA?

For example solo caster need time to time fill its SP bar.

Another example Walking on Butcher path. Most everybody forget oozes near rest shrine hitting ppls right after they start shrinning. This surprise can makes game more challenging there.
    I haven't forgotten those in 6 years. The problem is that very few quests are even a little bit random in DDO. I soloed BP on a new level 4 Arti in 3 minutes yesterday, no shrines... I couldn't do that if I didn't know exactly where all the mobs were going to be within a 10 foot area (scale).

Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    You know that it is a good troll when Teh_Troll approves.

...and the prize for best new DDO feature of 2013 goes to....Instant recall!

Instant trap disable failed to qualify, as so few traps get disabled in current game play that not enough people care.

Question: There are still toons that can disable traps in DDO?
    Every single one. Same with killing mobs. Just me and my Arti dog...

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    I agree. I find doing traps fun... At first. But, when you play with zerg heavy people(me and my friends mostly) or just anyone who steamrolls content...
    well, I get tired of seeing "Voice as soon as Ara gets the 15% trap bonus". It's just a simple fact that in trap heavy quests, it takes longer to search and disable the traps than it does to do the quest when you're running in the right groups.

So as a trapper of any kind I spend entire quests alone, looking at progress bars and trap boxes.
    To me it's not a realism thing at all. If there was some interactive component like picking locks in Skyrim, then sure. I would have 0 issues with that.
    But it doesn't, and this isn't Skyrim. Instead I get a trap box, and a progress bar.

It's precisely this reason that I don't advertise as a trapper in PUGS, unless someone asks me, or it looks like we won't get another trapper.

EDIT**
    I should clarify that I don't think things should be instant the way they are bugged right now. I do however entertain the idea that it would be nice to have the trap mechanics looked at to make them more interesting. I wouldn't mind slowing down for traps if it was just so boring.
    This is why I solo. If I'm gonna be by myself anyway...

At least I get to kill everything, too.

Exactly. Just the first "Ambush" battle in Butcher's Path would be a minimum 1-2 hours play in a pencil & paper D&D game, depending on party size and how much one or more players want to argue the rules with the DM...

Quote Originally Posted by Citzen_Gkar View Post
    I have been playing pen and paper since I was in grade 7 or 8. I've played basic, expert, Advanced D&D, AD&D 3.x, and AD&D 4e. I have been both players and DMs in all of those editions and am currently DMing for a group.

In no version of D&D did I ever say to the players or have a DM say to me "ok, lets stand here for 15 seconds because the rogue/thief/monk just said he was picking a lock/disarming a trap". In fact except in 4e, disarm was a standard or one round action. The game would go, "roll to disable", "I got a 25", "you disabled the trap". No delays.
    So you didn't spend significant amounts of time searching walls and objects only to find that there was nothing there?

Yeah, making time comparisons for p & p are not valid as the game is not being played real-time. Hence the need for turns in the game.

DDO, however, is quasi-real-time. It should take time ro disable traps, take time to use rest shrines, and so on.

And if we are going to get realistic, then the more complicated the trap, the longer it should take to disable.

Lag is considered a disruption in the time continum where either dieties stop time to consider your fate, or are unexplained holes in the space-time fabric. I generally assume the former of the two, putting the concept of lag-deaths as being on a specific diety's s-list.

instant playing bardic music? Still a lot of fun? Where this ends?
    This is already in the game, and I love it

Before, I spend 40 seconds trying to sing all my songs, but the rest of the party left in 10 and has missed most of them...

Now, I spend 10 seconds singing all the songs (except spellsong vigor, because I can't get around the cooldown even though I can interrupt my singing to make it go faster) and do hit everyone. It has the drawback where that SP burst will not happen if I interrupt the song, so it's not like I always do this.

Edit: guess I didn't see there were pages 2-6, oh well.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast