Community Member

Default druid/monk animal form unarmed damage question

i'm quite confused with druid's animal form with monk's unarmed damage

let's take
    druid 18/monk 2
    as an easy example

in dire bear form will my damage be
    1d12 or 1d6

also what happens when i use weapon that unentered my toon like a pair of earthshatter hammers?

while i understand i don't use the weapon damage only it's properties. it's the monk's unarmed damage table that confuses me

TYVM in advance

Euro-Founder and Keeper Refugee Dexraven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1jazzz View Post
    i'm quite confused with druid's animal form with monk's unarmed damage

let's take
    druid 18/monk 2
    as an easy example

in dire bear form will my damage be
    1d12 or 1d6

also what happens when i use weapon that unentered my toon like a pair of earthshatter hammers?

while i understand i don't use the weapon damage only it's properties. it's the monk's unarmed damage table that confuses me

TYVM in advance
    you will do 1d12 damage, but probably more if you have items that increase unarmed damage die step like garments of equilibrium or epic destiny twists from grandmaster

if you use non centering weapons, you will be thrown out of your monk stance and loose flurry of blows reducing your effective attack bonus to 3/4 full, and any die step increases will be removed

from wiki :http://ddowiki.com/page/Wild_Shape

How does Wild Shape mix with Monk levels?
    If you have monk levels, the damage of your animal form matches that of your monk unarmed damage, which means at low levels it will decrease your damage in bear form, but as you progress, the damage will increase as normal for monk.
    Two Weapon Fighting does not affect your attacks in animal form, irrespective of any levels in monk.
    Monk stances can be used in animal form, as long as you are centered.
    If you are a monk, and have two non druid (eg kama) weapons equipped, your damage in animal form will revert to the base damage of the animal, instead of the monk Unarmed Strike damage. You will also get no benefit of the magical properties of either weapon. (to work around this, only have one weapon equipped as you shift, then the damage will be calculated properly)
    Weapon Focus: Unarmed (granted by Weapon Focus: Bludgeoning) and other effects that improve unarmed attacks also affect the attacks of animal/magical beast forms.
    It may be good to note that the spell Flame Blade will not uncenter you and the blades strength improve with your caster level.

Community Member

ty. but i do need some more clarifications

monks unarmed damage is shown like this:
    1.5[1d6]
    during wild shape which properties does the monk contribute? cause it's no longer a scaling die for monks unarmed damage but changed into weapon damage multiplier
    what am i looking out for? the 1.5 to be added to my "form's" natural damage die or as a whole because it replaces the "form's" natural damage die ???

garments of equilibrium now adds 0.5 weapon damage multiplier

and also...

what if i break the centered rule of monk. e.g:

Half elf 18 druid/2 monk (fighter dill)
    Rakshasa Hide armor
    Sirroco - main hand
    Phiarlan Spy Dagger - off hand

using this template, it's clear that this toon doesn't bother with monk's unarmed damage or being centered. what happens when this toon becomes a dire bear?

TYVM in advance
    Last edited by 1jazzz; 06-13-2013 at 02:55 AM.

Community Member

ty. but i do need some more clarifications

monks unarmed damage is shown like this:
    1.5[1d6]
    during wild shape which properties does the monk contribute? cause it's no longer a scaling die for monks unarmed damage but changed into weapon damage multiplier
    what am i looking out for? the 1.5 to be added to my "form's" natural damage die or as a whole because it replaces the "form's" natural damage die ???

garments of equilibrium now adds 0.5 weapon damage multiplier

and also...

what if i break the centered rule of monk. e.g:

Half elf 18 druid/2 monk (fighter dill)
    Rakshasa Hide armor
    Sirroco - main hand
    Phiarlan Spy Dagger - off hand

using this template, it's clear that this toon doesn't bother with monk's unarmed damage or being centered. what happens when this toon becomes a dire bear?

TYVM in advance
    your unarmed damage will be the damage of your animal, if you're dire bear will be 1d12, forget the 1d6 of monk or the 1dXX of the weapon you're using

things like garments of equilibrium, ED, monk lvls will increase the number of dices, but they keep being your animal form damage dice

mainhand and offhand: things on hit only apply if are equipped on main hand(so bursts, or acid touch, or stem go in main hand), things for bypasses(like silver, ghost touch) or that can be found in other places than weapons(like shocking blow and seeker) or that have no effect on hit(like devotion and lores) go in offhand

keep in mind that a shield in offhand gives you some ac/prr but uncenters you(no centered = no monk stance, and some goods, search for centered in wiki)

also, u can use every weapon you want, no matter if you have proficiency or not, animal form ignores the proficiency (and twf line) but again, if you're monk won't be centered

Community Member

great, great, TYVM. the main reason i ask the weapon question(s) is because:

from the wiki:
    under animal form description:-
    These natural attacks benefit from the treasure effects on your equipped melee main hand and offhand weapons

and...

If you are a monk, and have two non druid (eg kama) weapons equipped, your damage in animal form will revert to the base damage of the animal, instead of the monk Unarmed Strike damage. You will also get no benefit of the magical properties of either weapon. (to work around this, only have one weapon equipped as you shift, then the damage will be calculated properly)

so i am confused if i should splash monk or fighter to druid life.

shield's defensive effects work right? like frost guard for instance???
    Last edited by 1jazzz; 06-13-2013 at 06:36 AM.

great, great, TYVM. the main reason i ask the weapon question(s) is because:

from the wiki:
    under animal form description:-
    These natural attacks benefit from the treasure effects on your equipped melee main hand and offhand weapons

and...

so i am confused if i should splash monk or fighter to druid life.

shield's defensive effects work right? like frost guard for instance???
    When I did a pure druid life I used seeker shields for my off hand, right now I'm trying out a 9/9/2 druid/monk/fighter build at level 13 atm I'm up to 2[1d10] x3 19-20 using handwraps and an outfit. So far the dps potential is so much higher even than a capped druid that it's ridiculous.

Community Member

you know... i tried this by just creating a lvl 7 veteren character and while the unarmed damage did increase flurry of blows does not seem to apply. is this correct that flurry of blows does not apply to animal form? or perhaps is it because bear form is slower and wolf form faster than norm already that i can't seem to get a good reading?

Quote Originally Posted by SemaDJ View Post
    you know... i tried this by just creating a lvl 7 veteren character and while the unarmed damage did increase flurry of blows does not seem to apply. is this correct that flurry of blows does not apply to animal form? or perhaps is it because bear form is slower and wolf form faster than norm already that i can't seem to get a good reading?
    yeah flurry does nothing it seems, no speed increase. Bear form sucks with the speed, it's worthless unless you need to sit and turtle up for some reason.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    When I did a pure druid life I used seeker shields for my off hand, right now I'm trying out a 9/9/2 druid/monk/fighter build at level 13 atm I'm up to 2[1d10] x3 19-20 using handwraps and an outfit. So far the dps potential is so much higher even than a capped druid that it's ridiculous.
    I remember reading the Dev post about wolf form/weapons:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ns#post4552596

There was talk that the increase in the dmg die based on things like reinforced fists doesn't work properly, and your 2(1d10) becomes 2(1d6) effectively gimping your dmg Any word on this?

Quote Originally Posted by willienillie View Post

There was talk that the increase in the dmg die based on things like reinforced fists doesn't work properly, and your 2(1d10) becomes 2(1d6) effectively gimping your dmg Any word on this?
    I'm not sure about the history, but my 12 monk/8 druid with adamantine knuckles and arkat's cord shows 4.5(1d10) in winter wolf form, and I'm not noticing the 9 damage per hit that would be missing if it changed to d6.
    "You lie down with rats, and the rats run away."

Quote Originally Posted by willienillie View Post

That was fixed sometime in u15 maybe I forget exactly when.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    That was fixed sometime in u15 maybe I forget exactly when.
    Found it:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Update_15_Pa..._Notes#Classes

Multiclassed Druid/Monks no longer have their monk unarmed damage die overwrite animal form damage dice.
    "You lie down with rats, and the rats run away."