Default Repeater builds; what other kinds are there?

I have to admit, one of my favorite styles of playing right now is using a repeating crossbow, especially on my rogue mechanic. While I know artificers are also awesome with repeaters, what I am curious about is whether or not any other builds are good at using repeating crossbows and still do decent damage. Are there any effective builds that utilize this gameplay? Im having trouble thinking if there is due to the fact that repeating crossbows don't have too many ways of applying a damage mod...
    Here's a riddle for you: What do you call people who play the game for only a day and apparently know everything?

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knightgf View Post
    Im having trouble thinking if there is due to the fact that repeating crossbows don't have too many ways of applying a damage mod...
    Pretty much this: artificers and Mechanics are the only ones who can add INT to their xbow dmg, so every repeater build I've seen is based on one or both. [E.g., see my Deepwood Mechanic for a flavor variant.]

I believe Inspire Courage, Divine Favor, and Divine Might will boost ranged dmg (inc. repeaters); but I've never seen or come up with a bard- or divine-based repeater build I really liked. I do have a cleric / arty build I made for fun, but (A) it's totally a flavor build, (B) it's still mostly a caster with a little ranged support, and (C) the idea was to use repeaters to proc debuffs (e.g., Imp Cursespewing of Imp Shattermantle) to soften them up for spellcasting, not use them for direct DPS. I've toyed with the idea of an arty / wiz (Evo AM) who focuses on Shiradi procs thru spamming missiles, but never really followed up on it.

However, I believe there has also been some Kensei action as well. The additional feats of the fighter allow for a lot of specialization. Not sure how popular or functional this is with Dex build fighters. But years ago a few of these existed.

But I would agree that many of todays Repeater builds will be based on a Mechanic Rogue or Artificer frame.

True, a Kensei would have the bonuses from Weap Spec etc. and capstone if they stayed pure; but the STR bonuses are meaningless to xbows. Although I suppose I could see making a flavor build which alternates between longbows w/MS and repeaters w/out which sits in FotW. That's just idle theory-crafting on my part, however...

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    I've toyed with the idea of an arty / wiz (Evo AM) who focuses on Shiradi procs thru spamming missiles, but never really followed up on it.
    definately sounds like an interesting character idea. one of the few wizard multi class splits where you would go 14/6, because you really want to use endless fusillade for something like that.

you do lose out on lvl 8 and 9 spells, but there are very few multi hit spells (i only saw metor swarm). you would still get 3rd level artificer spells (insightful damage ).

might have to play around in the character builder (or make one myself for the hell of it)
    Shortling (20 rogue) wither others leveling. "One Dwarf Army"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthesponge View Post
    well a clown getting violated by a rabid duck may be sillier, but not by much.

Community Member

Yeah the lack of stat-to-damage for anything but Mechanic or Arti is really the dealbreaker.

The other almost-dealbreaker is a lack of clickable skills for ranged combat (except for DS, but even that's pretty weak in its current incarnation). There's no Cleave/GC or Stunning Blow equivalent you could base an unorthodox repeater build around...RXBs are only good for plinkplinkplink, and you need stat-to-damage to really make that viable and competitive with bows or melee.

Last dealbreaker is a non-repeater class has to spend all 7 feats on their repeaters (Prof, PBS, PS/IPS, IC:Ranged, Rapid Reload/Rapid Shot), so only Humans or Fighters would even be able to take Toughness, let alone try to squeeze in any metamagics etc.

Default Arty / Wizzy Build

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    I've toyed with the idea of an arty / wiz (Evo AM) who focuses on Shiradi procs thru spamming missiles, but never really followed up on it.
    I just had this thought yesterday and was playing around with a build. You ever come up with anything?

This was the build idea that I came up with, any thoughts?
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...or-Feedback%29
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Yes, you basically must splash 6 arti or 6 rogue. Here are 2 of my non-pure repeater builds since U19.

Right now I'm playing this one - a Phantasmal Killer based 12 wiz / 6 rogue / 2 arti. It's solid (imo at only level 21 having only run EE Eveningstar Chain 1) but past life intensive to make the DC casting part work. Could easily Shiradi it instead by taking Maximize and Empower instead of Heighten and something and going evocation.
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ue-2-Artificer

I think 12 Rogue / 6 Ranger / 2 Arti is probably the most consistent pure repeater dps? Could be wrong. It's also a weird pedigree since I think either 20 rogue or 20 arti would do more damage overall via sneak attack or rune arm damage.
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...er-2-Artificer I would probably change it to halfling as suggested since the chain is kind of just odd. I like Shadar-kai ghetto abundant step, but it's not worth saves/SA/+1 Dex compared with halfling.

(Intentional I think) necro, but whatever. Repeater build threads interest me, so more of these!
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

2 arti is almost a must, since you add rune arm imbues.

I'm considering a 2 arti / fighter 8 / rogue 10 - but I'm somewhat insane.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Endless Fusillade is now a T4 Battle Engineer ability. You still want INT to dmg, which means either arty 6 for Insightful Dmg or rog 6 for Mechanic. But it does open up some MCing options, like maybe rog 13 / arty 4 / rgr 3 to pick up some DWS abilities and possibly TWF if you can spare the feats. Uh oh, I sense an idea for a DEX-n-INT-based elf build coming again...

Community Member

There's actually ONE more possibility: Ninja Spy/Repeater Kensei. They can use DEX-to-dmg with piercing weapons (RXBs) if they're centered (One with the Blade, Xbows). At least I THINK it will work, not sure if Ninja Spy core specifically disallows non-melee weapons

Not that that's actually a component of a viable build - its just a third way to get a stat-to-dmg on xbows. Not really sure what you'd do with a Fighter/Monk repeater build, its actually horribly unsynergistic with repeaters...but you probably CAN

edit: NM, OWTB only applies to melee weapons, doesn't it? :P

I had a old lvl 22 Human 10 Rogue/ 8 Bard/fighter 2 Mechanic 28 pt buiild with just +2 tomes of Int, con and dex and decided to use the LR+20 reincarnation to make him more viable after U19, unfortunately the LR doesn't allow to get another class if you will have 4 classes after taking that class. At least I was able to get rid off the Bard class after lvl 16, giving me the option of taking 4 artificer levels, so I ended up with a Fighter 8/Rogue 8/Artificer 4 repeater build:

Fighter 8 for Kensai for greater weapon focus and able to get repeater crossbow specialization and Keen edge tier V enhancement, also haste boost, some more reflex, dex ability score and one extra action boosts, and extra features.

Rogue 8 for evasion, trap and umd skills, mechanic with Int stat to damage with crossbow training, wand scroll mastery, improved uncany dodge and of course some sneak damage

Artificer 4 for magical bolts, Repeater proficiency, Battle engineer with crossbow training and endless fusillade, damage boost, elemental damage spell and 2 bonus features.

Then I was able to get manyshot too (switching to longbow and sturdy arrows for that burst)

Features: Toughness, Point blank shot, precise shot, toughness, improved critical ranged weapons, improved precise shot, lightning reflexes (or another toughness), manyshot, combat archery,
    Fighter features: Weapon focus ranged, precision, weapon specialization ranged, dodge, greater weapon focus ranged
    Artificer Features: Rapid shot

Stats 28 pts: 10 str (plus +2 tome= 12), 16 dex (plus 3 ability raises+ 2 tome=21), 12 con (plus 2 tome = 14), 16 Int (plus 2 tome + 2 raise= 20), 8 wis, 10 cha

Having a lot of fun with this build, currently at lvl 23 with gear mostly from the AH, I only use repeaters crossbows and bows as weapons, have enough umd for heal and gh, displascement scrolls, the dps is very decent for a 28 pt toon with average gear (around 55-75 base damage per bolt, 130-170 on crit), currently leveling through shadowdancer Ed (that was unlocked before LR), with 7 charges of endless fusillade, haste boost, damage boost and human damage boost, manyshot, 40-55 sneak damage, sitting above 500 hp with around 40 reflex self buffed, 15% dodge on light armor, 50 ac, near 60 to hit, good skills, decent bluff, etc.

Something very cool about this build is that I use Radiance repeaters (blind trash enemies on critical hits) and keen edge gives me better critical threat range (roll of 15+ with normal repeaters), making easy to solo En-Eh with Ips. For red bosses I have a deception repeater that help on damage mitigation and some more sneak procs and also have beaters (if need some dr you can get DR bolts with some house deneith favor until you get a dr repeater).
    Last edited by boredman; 10-06-2013 at 10:42 PM.

I really want to try a "Dwarven Sniper" flavor build. The idea is to have a mechanically trained Dwarf that can use Repeaters for ranged, and switch to TWF with Axes/Picks when enemies close in. Basically a Dwarf-Style version of how a pure Ranger plays, but with the added benefit of trapping.

I can't decide on how to go about this, though. Both Rogue Mechanic and Artificer would fit in with this character lore wise, and both Fighter 12/Ranger 12 have their pros and cons for the melee portion.

Then there's the question of how to balance STR/DEX/CON/INT for this build...

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by TekkenDevil View Post
    I really want to try a "Dwarven Sniper" flavor build. The idea is to have a mechanically trained Dwarf that can use Repeaters for ranged, and switch to TWF with Axes/Picks when enemies close in. Basically a Dwarf-Style version of how a pure Ranger plays, but with the added benefit of trapping.

I can't decide on how to go about this, though. Both Rogue Mechanic and Artificer would fit in with this character lore wise, and both Fighter 12/Ranger 12 have their pros and cons for the melee portion.

Then there's the question of how to balance STR/DEX/CON/INT for this build...

Any suggestions?
    I'd go at least 6 ranger for free TWF lines and some ranged feats, 6 arti to get tier 5 lines for improved rune arm use, and at least 6 fighter. Something to be said for 8 arti or 8 fighter. You could also replace the arti with 6 Rogue for evasion and some Sneak Attack damage and go the Mechanic tree for repeater proficiencies.

Also if you want to leverage Rune Arm use, I'd drop the Ranger levels, and go Rogue. And pick up the THF lines and go Dwarven Axe/Rune arm for melee. With an AOE run arm in the middle of melee you could be firing of some interesting damage options.

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    Challenge Farmer
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

Why do I need THF if I will keep a rune arm on my offhand, though? (Same goes if you meant TWF)

Quote Originally Posted by TekkenDevil View Post
    Why do I need THF if I will keep a rune arm on my offhand, though? (Same goes if you meant TWF)
    Bastard Swords and Dwarven Axes benefit from the THF lines if they are used in one hand only.

So going Rune Arm and Dwarven Axe with THF you will increase your glancing blows.

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Alts
    Challenge Farmer

Community Member

The strong point of the repeater is the amount of shots and this synergizes great with sharadi procs. My build 12 rogue 6 ranger 2 art was to utilize the mechanic double strike, epic destiny double strike and stacking killer enchancement for a total of 40% double strike distributed throughout the bolts. The ranger was included for the additional active shots for last hits and more burst damage and the arty for the runearms and the free feats. This build was to maximise physical dps and sharadi procs, but as it was pointed out to me earlier you can twist in prism and double rainbow and use fury destiny.

Also funny that you mention including wizard in the build because this would greatly enhance the damage of your sharadi procs but it is all about weighing the benefits because this game doesn't have a damage meter =/ Then we would actually be able to accurately see both the builds dps. Also was debating including a force 138 aug for my needle and possibly the sage bracer for kinetic lore. This build could definately work and give you some more spells and some huge procs. My friend told me his biggest sharadi proc was 13k and if that is the case that is insane.

Well I just wanted to add my 2 cents to the discussion and my love for the repeater.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raliar View Post
    My build 12 rogue 6 ranger 2 art was to utilize the mechanic double strike, epic destiny double strike and stacking killer enchancement for a total of 40% double strike distributed throughout the bolts. .
    You do know that Doubleshot, statistically, only applies to the first bolt, right? So Doubleshot for a repeater user is only about 50% as effective as it is for a Bow user (since Bows fire about two shots for every three-shot Repeater volley)

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    You do know that Doubleshot, statistically, only applies to the first bolt, right? So Doubleshot for a repeater user is only about 50% as effective as it is for a Bow user (since Bows fire about two shots for every three-shot Repeater volley)
    OTOH, an archer will use Manyshot and 10K Stars (if monkcher) which applies a Doubleshot penalty:
    • Manyshot: Activating this ability reduces your Extra Shot by -100% for 70 seconds.
    • Ten Thousand Stars: Activating this ability reduces your Extra Shot by -100% for 45 seconds.

This means your doubleshot is negated for 50 secs and 15 secs, respectively, after using each. AFAIK, there's no similar penalty to xbows from, say, Endless Fusillade.

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Quote Originally Posted by Raliar View Post
    Also funny that you mention including wizard in the build because this would greatly enhance the damage of your sharadi procs but it is all about weighing the benefits because this game doesn't have a damage meter =/ Then we would actually be able to accurately see both the builds dps. Also was debating including a force 138 aug for my needle and possibly the sage bracer for kinetic lore. This build could definately work and give you some more spells and some huge procs.
    Unfortunately Force Spell Power has no effect whatsoever on Shiradi procs that come from ranged attacks.

Ones that come from spell attacks work exactly as described and force spell power is certainly important if they're your primary Shiradi Proc maker.

One of the builds I posted above is a bit rubbish as a result of me only finding that out after I'd hit cap too.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.