Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hero, Mo Bro H'ro, & MB Super-H'ro ComicRelief's Avatar

Default Unable to Edit Previous Posts

So I recently posted in a thread adn the post took out (by itself) all the "carrige retuns", making all the sentences and paragraphs run together in one, big mess.

When I try to edit the post to fix it, the little "we'll think about processing your request" hourglass/spinning wheel icon just sits there and spins...and spins...and spins...It never let's me back into the editor.

Eventually, the timer expires and I am automatically logged-out.I need to be able to edit posts, 'cuz, well, you know - I'm only human.
    Last edited by Cordovan; 06-11-2013 at 03:43 PM.
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

Community Manager

What thread are you seeing this in?
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Quote Originally Posted by ComicRelief View Post
    So I recently posted in a thread adn the post took out (by itself) all the "carrige retuns", making all the sentences and paragraphs run together in one, big mess.

When I try to edit the post to fix it, the little "we'll think about processing your request" hourglass/spinning wheel icon just sits there and spins...and spins...and spins...It never let's me back into the editor.

Eventually, the timer expires and I am automatically logged-out.I need to be able to edit posts, 'cuz, well, you know - I'm only human.
    I found that all my "Carriage Return" (CR) characters were all being filtered out until I went into my forum settings and de-selected the "WYSIWYG" editor option and went to Standard, whatever it was called.

[Edit] If you hold the CTRL key while selecting "Edit Post" Explorer will open the edit screen in a new tab and you can edit there.
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

Open forums in a new tab, log in on that tab.
    Return to post.
    Right click edit and open in a new tab.
    Go to that newest tab.
    Edit post.
    Log back in on log in tab if taking awhile.
    Open post in new tab if it goes white screen on you.
    Problems solved.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    Open forums in a new tab, log in on that tab.
    Return to post.
    Right click edit and open in a new tab.
    Go to that newest tab.
    Edit post.
    Log back in on log in tab if taking awhile.
    Open post in new tab if it goes white screen on you.
    Problems solved.
    Wow...so user friendly! O.o

Hero, Mo Bro H'ro, & MB Super-H'ro ComicRelief's Avatar

Default "All"(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Pretty much all of them including this one), but the one that propmted this thread was "Monday Morning with the Maj".
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

What threads aren't you guys seeing this in? Are all the difficulties we forum users are experiencing yet another "we can't reproduce it, so it must be on your end" thing?

I know all y'all have better things to do than hang out and chat/argue/share & critique ideas through your DDO forums. But if any of you do spend any significant amount of time, even if that time comes just once a week or whatever, do you get incessantly logged out on a repeated basis?

Cordovan, when you make your appearances do you sometimes get to type on a nice white field with black letters, and other times have to type on a dark grey field with black letters? For me it's random chance.

Just for giggles, type a nice longish post. Hit the preview button, perusing it for errors (leave a few intentionally for testing sake). Then submit it. Then reread it and "notice" the (perhaps intentional) errors. Hit the edit button. Correct the mistakes and save.

If that process doesn't require you to log in at least one extra time after you first logged in to make your post; then your not experiencing the forums the way we do. Try again from your home computer. Repeat this test ~3 or 4 times over say a one week period. Include both origonal posts and and a couple replys. See how many times you (after relogging in) randomly seem to either end up back where you started, or at the DDO home page. It's very frustrating to end up back at the home page knowing that navigating back to where you want to be is eating away at your preciously small amount of time that you get to be logged in.
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 06-11-2013 at 10:13 PM.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Wow...so user friendly! O.o
    Its only 7 steps!

It does happen to be the same number of steps as Awesomium processes that now get spun when you log into the game. Random coincidence. Probably

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

I reallly really really truly hate the new forums

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    What threads aren't you guys seeing this in? Are all the difficulties we forum users are experiencing yet another "we can't reproduce it, so it must be on your end" thing?

I know all y'all have better things to do than hang out and chat/argue/share & critique ideas through your DDO forums. But if any of you do spend any significant amount of time, even if that time comes just once a week or whatever, do you get incessantly logged out on a repeated basis?

Cordovan, when you make your appearances do you sometimes get to type on a nice white field with black letters, and other times have to type on a dark grey field with black letters? For me it's random chance.

Just for giggles, type a nice longish post. Hit the preview button, perusing it for errors (leave a few intentionally for testing sake). Then submit it. Then reread it and "notice" the (perhaps intentional) errors. Hit the edit button. Correct the mistakes and save.

If that process doesn't require you to log in at least one extra time after you first logged in to make your post; then your not experiencing the forums the way we do. Try again from your home computer. Repeat this test ~3 or 4 times over say a one week period. Include both origonal posts and and a couple replys. See how many times you (after relogging in) randomly seem to either end up back where you started, or at the DDO home page. It's very frustrating to end up back at the home page knowing that navigating back to where you want to be is eating away at your preciously small amount of time that you get to be logged in.
    I have not had problems editing posts, either with my admin account or my standard non-admin player account. I asked about which thread in particular because we can set up various permissions for various forums, and I wanted to see if there was a correlation between editing issues and a certain forum.

I also have not been logged out while trying to make a post. That said, there should be a logout after 45 minutes of inactivity, meaning if you haven't clicked a link, made a post, etc in that time frame, you should be logged out. Typing in a forum message editor does not count as activity - but posting it does.

Also, I post from work, from home, on my phone, on my wife's phone, using laptops, heck, even once or twice from my Playstation Vita. So, yeah.

We are currently investigating a return of frequent log outs, though.
    Join us on Twitch!

I have not had problems editing posts, either with my admin account or my standard non-admin player account. I asked about which thread in particular because we can set up various permissions for various forums, and I wanted to see if there was a correlation between editing issues and a certain forum.

I also have not been logged out while trying to make a post. That said, there should be a logout after 45 minutes of inactivity, meaning if you haven't clicked a link, made a post, etc in that time frame, you should be logged out. Typing in a forum message editor does not count as activity - but posting it does.

Also, I post from work, from home, on my phone, on my wife's phone, using laptops, heck, even once or twice from my Playstation Vita. So, yeah.

I've noticed the "can't edit posts" problem most frequently in Lamannia discussions.
    Thelanis - Dragons of the Shire
    Naeryna (Sun Elf 24 FvS Evoker) // Dianocia (Drow 22 Warlock) // Valissia (Drow 21 Shiradi Druid)
    Nae haz a story. Go read it.

Community Member

Frequent log outs are definitely an issue today, much more so than lately.

When I logged onto the game this morning for my normal Harbor run with my morning cup of coffee, I also noticed an error I had never seen before while trying to log in. It was something along the lines of "Cannot find DDO datacenter."

Yeah, I had a flashback to DDO domain registration expired.

Fortunately, it cleared after the client cycled through a few log in attempts.

My client also hung on log out, something that almost never happens.

Edit (it does work for me ): I use Chrome. and I am also getting a lot more duplicate header errors than I have seen for a while. Something certainly looks like it regressed.
    Last edited by GermanicusMaximus; 06-12-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Founder

Using Chrome I have not had a problem using Edit Post. However I am logged out all the time. You say 45 minutes - I will login for the very purpose of writing a post and when I click Submit Reply I am logged out. It was probably only a couple of minutes. However that is intermittent - I can go for many minutes (haven't measured, maybe 15-20min) responding/creating several posts successfully. I don't believe however that I've ever been able to remain logged into the forums for as long as 45 min - the system always kicks me out before that.

Using Chrome I also don't have the problem with not being able to click "back" in order to recover my post when I am logged out. This is also something I've seen people complain about. Although I have started taking the precaution of "select-all/copy" before clicking Submit just in case.

Community Member

Using IE I can NEVER edit posts unless instead of clicking on edit I right click edit and open it in a new window. Then it works. I also still get black text on dark grey background when editing or replying to a message

In Chrome, editing text works for me. However, I can't click on either new posts or dev tracker (the two places I'd like to start clicking) from the community home page https://www.ddo.com/en/community or I get this error that stops me from moving forward:

Duplicate headers received from server
    The response from the server contained duplicate headers. This problem is generally the result of a misconfigured website or proxy. Only the website or proxy administrator can fix this issue.
    Error 350 (net::ERR_RESPONSE_HEADERS_MULTIPLE_LOCATION): Multiple distinct Location headers received. This is disallowed to protect against HTTP response splitting attacks.

Although auto logouts had been resolved for me, a couple days ago they came back with a vengeance using both Chrome and IE

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    I reallly really really truly hate the new forums
    Yeah, and this.

I also have not been logged out while trying to make a post. ....

GAH! The Irony!! I log in, hit Dev Tracker. This is first thread I decide to wander thru. Hit reply...

*relog screen*

Rest assured, Jerry. It is NOT a 45-minute timer in practice.

edit: /Seconding HAL above, also using Chrome.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

That said, there should be a logout after 45 minutes of inactivity
    No, no there shouldn't. Because THIS is ****.
    It's desirable for online stores, but it's completely idiotic for a forum. Forums are for checking once to several times a day and not for clicking every half an hour.
    Put your new web developers through some 101 page design courses and then maybe we can have forums where one does not need to manually log in every time he tries to write something and where login redirects to current page actually work.
    ****ing ****, pleople! Web design is not even in my job description, but even I don't put my ~50 users through this **** when I do make a secure page.
    Yes, I'm mad (I've just read the TR idiocy).
    Last edited by BruceTheHoon; 06-12-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Citzen_Gkar View Post
    Using IE I can NEVER edit posts unless instead of clicking on edit I right click edit and open it in a new window. Then it works. I also still get black text on dark grey background when editing or replying to a messageIn Chrome, editing text works for me. However, I can't click on either new posts or dev tracker (the two places I'd like to start clicking) from the community home page https://www.ddo.com/en/community or I get this error that stops me from moving forwarduplicate headers received from serverThe response from the server contained duplicate headers. This problem is generally the result of a misconfigured website or proxy. Only the website or proxy administrator can fix this issue.Error 350 (net::ERR_RESPONSE_HEADERS_MULTIPLE_LOCATION): Multiple distinct Location headers received. This is disallowed to protect against HTTP response splitting attacks.Although auto logouts had been resolved for me, a couple days ago they came back with a vengeance using both Chrome and IE
    Interesting. I do not typically use IE, but just did so and experienced the same issue with trying to edit a post as you did. I tend to use Chrome, and have occasionally run into the "duplicate headers" error. I find this error does not show up when using the forum view (if you use www.ddo.com/forums for example, or if you follow a link into the forum view and then use the links from the upper part of the page.) Our web team may well be aware of these issues, but if not, I will send these issues their way.
    Join us on Twitch!

It was a browser issue for me

I can't edit my posts in IE, chrome and firefox work fine.

EDIT (lol) : Looks like someone got the message across before I did
    YouTube Channel HERE
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

First, let me say thank you for the reply. Second, I thought I'ld let you know I only singled you out by name because I figured that the rep who seems to post the most would be the most likely to have any of these issues in common with us. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case...

The part that really boggles me the most is the randomness of the issues I experience.

I noticed you included both yours and your wife's phones. Are they iPhones? (rebtorical)
    100% of my foruming is through Safari on my iPhone. Always has been, since I first came to the game in Feb '09. Never experienced a single issue under the old forums. Now?

My first post in this thread was done with the black letters on dark grey field. This time I'm lucky, white background. Sometimes I get one, sometimes the other; doesn't matter if it's an original post or a reply - even happens on the edit screen though noticeably less often.

Sometimes I can post, change threads, reply, read more, reply again all without trouble. Other times? I'll hit reply (requiring a log in), type three sentences and submit; only to have to log in again.

Sometimes when the "reply with quote" button leads to the log in, it brings me back to the "new reply" screen.
    Other times the log in (which I'm doing because I hit "reply with quote") takes me to "DDO.com/en" leaving me to navigate back to the thread, hit "reply with quote" again; and sometimes I get to type a reply, others I get to log in... again.

I know this is all repetitive from my original post, but I've had to re-log in sooooo many times since the forums were, ahem, "upgraded" that I'm getting used to repeating my self.

"Select all" & "copy" before tapping either of the "preview" or "submit" buttons is the new S.O.P. for posting.

So while I'm glad your looking into a resurgence of too frequent log outs, I really never experienced when it was wai. And what about all the rest of the "sometimes" issues highlighted above? If they were stable or predictable, I could suppose it's due to my phone/browser. But the randomness makes no sense what so ever. Unless I'm the only one experiencing the mentioned random issues? If I'm the only one, or if these issues only occur randomly on iPhones, then so be it; but I doubt that's really the case - especially if either of the phones you've posted from are iPhones.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast