Default Adventure Survey

I just thought it would be fun to see what quest packs/adventures DDO players are enjoying from the selection that we have available. Perhaps the Devs could even use this information in future development to see what the player base likes and does not like in an adventure pack. It could also be useful to premium players in seeing which quests are enjoyable or have good rewards.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________

So to start with, what is your favorite practical quest pack? In essence, which quest pack do you play more for the rewards or xp over the storyline, but do not mind running the quests either?

What is your least favorite practical quest pack? Which quest pack do you not enjoy running, but do so anyway because it offers good rewards and/or xp?

What is your favorite quest pack overall?

What is your least favorite quest pack overall?

What elements do you enjoy in a quest pack? Do you like puzzles, lots of traps, or perhaps just hack and slash?

What elements do you hate in a quest pack?

What monsters do you enjoy fighting?

What monsters do you hate to fight?

My favorite practical quest pack is Vale of Twilight. Though there are some quests which I do not like, overall there is a good story, lots of quests with different aspects to each one, and some decent raids with good gear.

My least favorite practical quest pack is probably Necro IV. I do not like undead quests that much and Litany farming drives me insane. However, it offers too much XP to pass up and also some good loot as well from the quests and raid. The story is also enjoyable, but not enough to make me like Flesh Golems.

My favorite quest pack is Attack on Stormreach. Multiple puzzles, traps, and mobs with a well written story. I also love that you can complete it differently depending on which strategies you intend to utilize. No group has ever been the same for me in that quest pack.

Least favorite quest pack is Necro III. I hate it. Rat maze.... *shudders*

My favorite aspects in a quest pack are puzzles and different ways to complete a quest. That is why I love attack so much because they also put in a quest for those of us who like to sneak around and blow up ships. Partycrashers is another good example in which you can choose to use bluff and diplomacy to complete the quest or go brute force. Also, wide open areas like in Irestone Inlet are more enjoyable for me over a set dungeon with tight hallways.

My least favorite element is a quest is one where you have to protect an NPC. I hate making it all the way to the end just to have the NPC die on me.

I love kobolds. Yes, they are old school and there are so many quests with kobolds, but I think the devs has really figured out ways to make them unique. The Attack on Stormreach kobolds are different from the waterworks kobolds which differ from the Sentinels chain. I LOVE kobolds.

I hate to fight flesh golems. I just don't enjoy them at all, especially when I am on my rogue.

So to start with, what is your favorite practical quest pack? In essence, which quest pack do you play more for the rewards or xp over the storyline, but do not mind running the quests either?

The Vale of Twilight

What is your least favorite practical quest pack? Which quest pack do you not enjoy running, but do so anyway because it offers good rewards and/or xp?

The Devils of Shavarath

The Underdark and Madness of Xoriat (can't decide)

The Restless Isles

What elements do you enjoy in a quest pack? Do you like puzzles, lots of traps, or perhaps just hack and slash?

I like exploring, open spaces, surprises, a good storyline, creative solution possibilities, unusual and strange settings

Endless repetition (like Splinterskull), everything looking just the same (Amrath), mindless hack'n'slash in a dull unrealistic yet unimaginative setting with a lot of running, little action all for basically no reward (Restless Isles) and finally protecting some sucideous, gimped NPC (Threnal)

hmm ... drow?

Beholders -.- (except those modified beholders without antimagic cone)
    Argonessen (mains):
    Myriellah (Stargazer II), Xryn (Pale Master), Ryaleen (Air Savant), Mayeena (Assassin)
    Leader and founder of the ShadowThieves guild

Community Member

My favorite practical pack would probably be the Vale as well. The xp there is just too good to pass up. Most of the quests aren't bad either. I love the variety and the first time I ran Coal is still one of my favorite memories of the game. So stressful.

I can't say that I have a least favorite pratical pack. There is no xp high enough to make me run stuff I don't want to run. That said, I do enjoy running most content at least once on each life.

My favorite pack overall is probably Necro IV. Inferno of the Damned is just such a fun quest when run with a good group. And Lit is so cool that it involves pieces from the four previous quests. Not to mention the easy xp farm. Oh and getting burned by the dragon my first time through because I answered the questions how I wanted to. Hehe.

Least favorite pack overall? Too many people would probably say Restless Isles. But yeah, Restless Isles. I run the two flagging quests each life and I still don't know how to get to them without using the wiki. But that does help my slayer count as I wander aimlessly.

I love originality in quest packs. Necro III (while frustrating) keeps me entertained each time I run it. Besides from Necro I, I think all of the Necro quests are really well done just because of the variety. Underwater maze, rat maze, teleport maze, torch maze. Okay, so they are all mazes, but fun nonetheless.

What I don't like in quest packs? Well the Bloody Crypt from Necro I is probably my least favorite quest in the game. The xp is good at the level, but it is just so boring and long.

Monsters I enjoy fighting? Well on my rogue, I love squishies. Of course. Love assassinating casters. On my monk? Squishy casters who are still susceptible to my Quivering Palm.

Monsters I hate? Non-squishies! Not really, I love a challenge. And bypassing DR is just another cool aspect of the game.

Nice thread. Hope it gets some views.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniKobold View Post
    I just thought it would be fun to see what quest packs/adventures DDO players are enjoying from the selection that we have available. Perhaps the Devs could even use this information in future development to see what the player base likes and does not like in an adventure pack. It could also be useful to premium players in seeing which quests are enjoyable or have good rewards.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________

House C Challenges.

I'd say Necro III, but I generally dont run the quests anymore to get to Cursed Crypt. I have an opener for that. Probably Nero IV because I have to flag for Abbot... I love running abbot, but hate the flagging quests and mechanic.

Gianthold took the top spot overall with the introduction of Epic. Before that it was Von series.

Without a doubt, 3 Barrel Cove. Because so much potential was wasted. WIth a few minor tweaks, it could be one of the best packs in the game.

I want a pack to offer a variety of challenges, a good story, and solid XP. repetition is no fun.

repetition. Same dungeon, same mobs, boring. poor XP and loot will ruin a pack for me as well though.

Mobs that make me think about what I'm going to do and how I'm going to do it.. Beholders. Rust Monsters. Slimes..... They have consequences if you dont do it right.

Anything that "Phases" followed closely by anything that burrows(Especially when they burrow into solid rock. ugh)
    Last edited by Impaqt; 06-11-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Founder

Vault of Night

The Dreaming Dark

My favorite is probably Phiarlan Carnival. Both for rewards and because I like the quests and the storyline.

Threnal

I love quests with puzzles and riddles and other elements that are different from the usual hack and slash.

Mindless hack and slash

Undead

Beholders and anything that trips

Community Member

F2P: I look forward to Irestone, Dhakaan, Kobolds Ringleader, Deneith Sewer chain, Mired in Kobolds....I guess I lean more towards hack and slashery

I really HATE The Pit, Dreams of Insanity, and any other quest that requires "platform" gameplay. This is an MMO, not Tomb Raider.

P2P: I like quests like Snitch, most of GH, Necro I, Lordsmarch/Attack on Stormreach, Inspired Quarter/Dreaming Dark. I like when a quest has something other than just rails and mobs, but not when its an arbitrarily difficult mechanic. I like Shadow Crypt.

I like quick quests too - I wish they'd throw in more "Short" or "Medium" quests at higher level. Like Haverdasher. 5-15 mins is about the right quest length when you just want to pop in and not have a drawn out 30-45 min commitment.

I like adventure zones, the open-ended aspect of it. You dont need to "finish" them to get your reward. I really wish mobs in adventure zones just gave you immediate experience when you killed them, instead of having to hit milestones.

Dislike non-soloable/hireling quests (ie flagging for Necro I raid).

Dislike when one particular trap is the hardest obstacle in a quest (ie Partycrashers on Elite, when you're blowing around getting hit with phantasmal spears).

Dislike when mechanics gate you (like Small Problem elite, with the deleveling wolf at the end you cant mitigate at-level) or require you to have a certain specific piece of gear (like Flesh Render Visor).

Dont like Beholders, especially undead ones you fight in a room full of water...antimagic is one thing, but instakill spells plus no healing makes it too much of a crapshoot. I hate casters that use Sleetstorm - unavoidable blind, super slow, and repeated KDs when you dont even know if you're KDed or not. Disable my character, dont disable my screen.

Endless repetition (like Splinterskull), everything looking just the same (Amrath), mindless hack'n'slash in a dull unrealistic yet unimaginative setting with a lot of running, little action all for basically no reward (Restless Isles) and finally protecting some sucideous, gimped NPC (Threnal)

I have to agree with Splinterskull. Every time I run Tangleroot I get mad that I have to go back to the same place again and again. It would not be so bad "if" areas that I cleared out previously were empty, traps disabled, things like that that make it look like I had already infiltrated, but fighting the same mobs in the same spot each time is annoying. I know that would be difficult to program though.

Community Member

What is your favorite practical quest pack? In essence, which quest pack do you play more for the rewards or xp over the storyline, but do not mind running the quests either?
    I don't run anything for rewards over storyline really, the closest might be the High Road pack.

In order of bottom two: Threnal, Vale (which I have actually gone to just running the explores for xp lately, and not doing ANY of the quests, because I find all of them at least somewhat annoying. Pretty much the same goes for Necro IV).

Lord of Eyes chain.

Restless Isles, followed closely by the Necro Series.

All of the above, although I despise traps that have no trap boxes (or trap boxes on the other side of the trap).

Fail mechanics that can be set off by bad luck (Let Sleeping Dust Lie); long quests made arbitrarily longer by artificial backtracking caused by 'key quests' (Coal Chamber); quest mechanics that hamper the players for no good reason (item damage in Rainbow in the Dark); protecting suicidal NPCs (Threnal and Ritual Sacrifices); self-healing bosses with infinite SP (Hiding in Plain Sight, Running with the Devils).

All of them, pretty much.

Phase spiders, burrowing critters, and other mobs that you have to 'wait for' in order to actually be able to fight them. Or that randomly become 'invincible'.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Favorite Practical Quest pack is Vault of Night.

Least favorite practical quest pack is Necro IV.

Favorite quest pack is probably Vault of Night as well.

Least favorite quest pack is the Restless Isles.

I enjoy open area quest packs and ones that have alternate endings. I also like humor in the quests as it is more fun to see a crazed kobold than Turbine trying their hand at making a serious story-line.

I despise protect NPC quests and ones which require other people to complete.

I enjoy fighting Cubes and minotaurs.

I don't like fighting air elementals.

von
    necro 1,2,

amrath
    threnal
    Harder boss fights like what's in amrath at level pre-motu
    Elements where you have to have certain skills to do the quest efficiently. Need intim,diplo,bluff for a non-optional optional just gets old. Partycrashers is a great example of this irritation.
    Anything but undead
    Undead mostly just because they're everywhere.

I actually think most of the new epic stuff blows. The only reason I even stand to load into that hell of a crash zone of kings forest is because theirs a farm quest out there. Same with the drow city.

And the only reason I run the annoying raid is because currently it actually has a bow I want. And the short swords are needed on the same character so 2 birds. But the staff, the axe and whatnot, no.

The epics I actually enjoy to run are the old vons, the pre eveningstar chain of dust servants and spinner, And a couple carnival.

Actually pretty much when I finish my farm of the sora kell and droam storys and need to move on to vale and up, that's when I really regret TRing.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Which quest pack do you play more for the rewards or xp over the storyline, but do not mind running the quests either?
    Without a doubt, the Vale (I think the pack name is Devils Assault?) Absolutely the best high level xp pack in the game & the Shroud loot is irreplaceably good; from custome clickies to some of the best TR gear around.
    Add in Devils' Assault and the Subterrain, and this is eaisly the best "bang for your buck" quest pack.
    The Sands of (that place I can't pronounce). The gear is IMO lack luster - except for the prohibitively rare stuff - but the xp is practically required for TRing as the # of level 12 quests is incredibly small. Only slayer area so vast I have never found all the explorer points (I don't use the wiki, I explore for them).
    lol That would be DDO. I'm really not sure which I would call my favorite, too much good stuff to choose from.
    Amrath. While I do find it to be challenging at level, I don't consider them fun. The only interesting gear (ring sets) have been way out classed at end game, and are only useful during a tiny window while TRing. Hence, my least favorite.
    The best ones have all of the above. A good pack (or great quest) will challenge a well prepared party, and send those who came unprepared home on slab
    Pretty much everything about the Restless Isles. Small pack, quests located in an unintuitively weird slayer area, and the quests themselves (from what I remember, it's been quite a while) are relatively unimaginative hackfests - with the exception of that hall of death in Gola-Fan.
    Only 2 reasons I rank it higher than than Amrath:
    1) There is still unique and useful loot. 7 fingered glove & Teleport mask chiefly among them.
    2) Nostalgia. Remember when the Titan raid first came out? How long before it was beaten? Now that is how you introduce a new raid, not like the "it's already old news before it hits live" Fall of Truth.
    What monsters do you enjoy fighting? What monsters do you hate to fight?
    Pretty much all of them. While I love coming accross both classic D&D monsters and things I'm unfamiliar with; I do wish that they (and hirelings!) would get an AI upgrade. Mobs smart enough not to chase me repeatedly through a blade barrier, or stand in my firewall would be a nice improvent.

Fun little survey, thanx for asking
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 06-11-2013 at 11:13 PM.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

I love tangle root.

I hate the vale for one reason coal chamber.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar

Gianthold - It's close, but aside from Crucible there isn't a single quest I don't like running. A few - like Prison of the Planes - are favorites.

Tangleroot - It's basically the same quest over and over and over and over...

Three Barrel Cove - I love the tropical island explorer area, and many of the quests offer more than just hack 'n' slash.

Reign of Madness - I never even bother to run this anymore. The XP and rewards are so bad, I can't remember the last time I was in there.

Puzzles and traps - especially ones that offer an alternate way to solve the quest or make it easier. Tomb of the Tormented and Ghost of a Chance are two of my absolute favorites.

"Protect the squishy NPC", "must kill simultaneously", and "must kill mobs to advance"

Anything that stuns easily (i.e., casters) or that requires a change in tactics to defeat (i.e., beholders, rust monsters, etc.)

Anything with DR/- and anything that's just a massive sack of HP requiring a long and boring beatdown.

Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

Practical? Hummm…GH or Vale. It is a toss-up between the two.

Kothos. I am really sick and tired of running those quests EVERY time I create a new character or TR. The other would probably be Tangleroot. I hate having to run past the same scenery again, and again, and again…

Tangleroot is a fairly large place. You’d think they could add a couple of side quests to it.

Three Barrel Cove, maybe. I like the wilderness area – it’s really rather stunning – and the quests are different than most. VON and Vale are also up there.

Necro IV – Orchard of the Macabre. I don’t bother to flag anymore – hardly anyone runs Abbot on my server. It is hard to get groups to flag in there, and soloing them is really, really annoying in my book.

I kinda like a mix of puzzles and hack & slash. A lot depends on the toon I’m on. If I’m on my rogue, then I’m all for lots of traps.

Mindless repetition of running basically the same quest over, and over, and over again with just a different objective (Splinterskull comes to mind).

On my wizzy? Anything that can be taken out with Instakills. Yes, it is an addiction.

Not really fond of beholders on my wizzy, but they do present a challenge. My least favorite is bats, and scorpions.

• High Road

• House P, Carnival Chain

• Gianthold

• 3BC

• Combination of all, more traps and good combat. Cabal good example, perfect if it had a puzzle, optional even.

• Hate is to strong, but don't enjoy escort or babysitting NPCs to much.

• Orcs, Trolls, Lizardmen, Mind Flayers, Kobolds. Stuff I remember from early PnP days...

• Oozes, Jellies.

Quote Originally Posted by hsinclair
    I heard the devs hate all wizards, bards, clerics, fighters, and fuzzy bunnies and only want us to play halfling barbarian/paladin shuriken specialists!

It's totally true, I have a reliable source. You better reroll now.
    Adventurer, Bug Reporter, Mournlander.

Cannith challenges

Gianthold

Reign of Madness, with Sorrowdusk close second

Most people said Restless Isles or Threnal, and I do not own either Of those I have, I would say Amrath, with Necro I close second.

More than anything, atmosphere and scenery. Reign of Madness and Sorrowdusk have plenty, although of very different flavors.

Absolutely hate pipe jumping, but that's just individual quests -- no entire pack is built on those. What I hate about Amrath and Necro I is endless repetition of boring scenery.

Most of all, vampires and medusae. They just ooze contempt for player characters, which makes killing them so satisfying.

My least favorite by far is Crystal the Giant at epic difficulties. If you ever fought him and his retinue, you should know why! After that, wolves and lions in Lava Caves. First, because they take frustrating amount of time to kill, and second because they are inesthetic -- what are wolves and lions doing in a volcanic cave??
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"