Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default costume options excessively priced

WHY are costumes like, 10$ each? For what seems to be _1 character_. That is excessive gouging to the nth degree....

Do they ever have 50-70% off sales on these things?

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

If it was something necessary to play, I might accept a gouging grudge, but since they are purely optinal for vanity...I have a hard time caring how much they charge for clothes for a toon on a screen. Supply and demand, if people didn't buy, they would lower the price. but I see the costumes all over the place, and have since they came out when it only worked on one outfit, before they gave us the new vanity slots.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    If it was something necessary to play, I might accept a gouging grudge, but since they are purely optinal for vanity...I have a hard time caring how much they charge for clothes for a toon on a screen. Supply and demand, if people didn't buy, they would lower the price. but I see the costumes all over the place, and have since they came out when it only worked on one outfit, before they gave us the new vanity slots.
    It just kinda chafs. I come from CoH, where you had a million costume options for everything and everyone had several costumes at a time (all of which were free, but might have paid for pieces). Costumes here really seem excessive. Id happily spend 15$ total for 3 costumes all equally well made, but 1 that is just moderately well made at 10 is just tough to swallow.

Brand / Commerce Team QuartermasterX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrag View Post
    It just kinda chafs. I come from CoH, where you had a million costume options for everything and everyone had several costumes at a time (all of which were free, but might have paid for pieces). Costumes here really seem excessive. Id happily spend 15$ total for 3 costumes all equally well made, but 1 that is just moderately well made at 10 is just tough to swallow.
    Prices on cosmetic costumes range from 495 to 995 TP. Additionally, we occasionally put cosmetics on sale for 20% off, which would further reduce the cost.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by QuartermasterX View Post
    Prices on cosmetic costumes range from 495 to 995 TP. Additionally, we occasionally put cosmetics on sale for 20% off, which would further reduce the cost.
    meh, still not interested.

WHY are costumes like, 10$ each? For what seems to be _1 character_. That is excessive gouging to the nth degree....

I was under the impression that with the new cosmetic system, you can simply move it around to any of your characters and armors. If so, this is so much better than before when you could only apply the kit to just one armor.

I just recently purchased one and will go test to see if this is true...
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    there will always be bugs in DDO it will never be bug free at any point in its lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddinman View Post
    I was under the impression that with the new cosmetic system, you can simply move it around to any of your characters and armors. If so, this is so much better than before when you could only apply the kit to just one armor.

I just recently purchased one and will go test to see if this is true...
    Yep...Bound to Account and applies to any armor you are wearing when you have it slotted

It's certainly not as robust as other games (LoTRO for sure), but this is a step in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    there will always be bugs in DDO it will never be bug free at any point in its lifetime.

I havent play CoH in quite some time, but as I recall, your costume was very much part of your character.

In DDO, its just an extra. no one cares what you look like.

big difference in mentality means a big difference in costs...

Hows CoH doin nowadays anyway?
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Community Member

995 points for the BtA cosmetic armors is to expensive.
    >0 points for the BtC cosmetic armors is to expensive.

Change the cosmetic armor system to an account-based unlock, at 595 points per skin. Add a 'costumer' NPC that can spawn any cosmetic skin the account has access to, for any character on said account. Change the skins to *not* be color specific; add an armor dying system to the game (even if it's something as limited as choose the skin, choose the color when talking to the aforementioned NPC, it would be an improvement).

Do that, & I would start buying many cosmetic skins. Do that, and I suspect your sales on them will increase drastically.

As a side note, add a similar spawning NPC (or /bonus command) that spawns the spider cultist mask, panther & owlbear hirelings, etc. that the account has access to. If an npc, use a vendor style interface. If a command, each time the command is used run a check for each item of IF <item> is in inventory (including bank, tr cash, etc) do nothing, ELSE add item to inventory.

Community Member

But when you compare that to the old starting price of um...195 I think, its quite a jump.

I have a hard time bringing myself to spend $5-10 on a cosmetic outfit. Somehow spending $2-4 (I know there were higher but I never bought them) was a leap I could make. That $5 price point seems to be a mental block for me.

It's an option so you can sell them for whatever you want, but I wonder if its one of those cases where a slightly lower price point might generate better total gross sales. Cosmetics in life tend to be highly price elastic.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Ouch!

On topic. The price seems about on par with other games really, the cosmetic system itself could use some work though.
    But eh it's a big step up from the one armour per skin imo.

The cosmetic armors need to show more skin. That is all.

Thumbs down

Too greedy. Cosmetics should be 250-450 and then have sales. I'd buy them at that price, but current prices no way.

Its the same problem with the Box/Stone thing. I just want the stone, not all the other junk. I won't spend $50 on the box, but I'd spend $100 on 5 stones at $20 a piece in a heart beat. I know you sold a ton of boxes, but you guys need better analysis on the areas where you're missing a large group of people in your sales.
    Proud Officer and Member of the Exploration Society Thelanis Server
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle
    *Dunkurk Qirva Donnar Zoraida Dolvar Zorg Salii Smally Kungfugee Kruknud Smully Warfrog*

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    I havent play CoH in quite some time, but as I recall, your costume was very much part of your character.

In DDO, its just an extra. no one cares what you look like.

big difference in mentality means a big difference in costs...

I'm just waiting to see what NCSoft kills next.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EazyWeazy View Post
    Too greedy. Cosmetics should be 250-450 and then have sales. I'd buy them at that price, but current prices no way.

Its the same problem with the Box/Stone thing. I just want the stone, not all the other junk. I won't spend $50 on the box, but I'd spend $100 on 5 stones at $20 a piece in a heart beat. I know you sold a ton of boxes, but you guys need better analysis on the areas where you're missing a large group of people in your sales.
    Yes, I fully agree with this entirely. I would have a ton of costumes if they were in the 250-450 range. Hell, I would buy points _just for the costumes_.

The box/stone thing is also true. But I can see the point in bundling. It would be even better if they bundled things together that actually worked together. Stone + tomes for instance. Why stone n tome? Well, tomes work better as you level, and if you are leveling faster, you get more use out of your tome faster.... To me, it is just natural to put them together. I would absolutely buy stone n tome bundles.

The prices on some (lots) of the stuff in the store just makes me boggle....

Quote Originally Posted by Citzen_Gkar View Post
    But when you compare that to the old starting price of um...195 I think, its quite a jump.

I have a hard time bringing myself to spend $5-10 on a cosmetic outfit. Somehow spending $2-4 (I know there were higher but I never bought them) was a leap I could make. That $5 price point seems to be a mental block for me.

It's an option so you can sell them for whatever you want, but I wonder if its one of those cases where a slightly lower price point might generate better total gross sales. Cosmetics in life tend to be highly price elastic.
    Yeah I remember the good ol' times when we had the previews for 1TP and the full ones for 195-495TP or something in that ballpark. I even bought one or two back then but with the current price model I am not so thrilled to buy one again, but also haven't seen any interesting new one, like Pirates and Buccaneers or Middle Ages - Medieval.
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

But there used to be some that were less than 100tp. Why the 500% price increase?
    ~ Cheara : Raizertron : Pozitron : Higgz Bowtron : Illudium : Staphe Infection : Abraa Capocus ~
    Nooby McNoobsalot
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Just as a reminder, all these cosmetics now *should* be account bound and have unlimited (put in slot) uses= 1 cosmetic+shared bank means that one cosmetic can be used for every toon on that server, whereas before it was 1 cosmetic 1 armor.
    Slow player: puggers beware!

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Cosmetics have been priced like that from day 1. *shrug*
    You can earn TP by playing the game, so the cost is just that; cosmetic.

They were not that pricy.
    Middle price for most was around 300-400 TP.
    Right now I can see middle is around 500-600. Some cost even around 800 TP. Thats crazy!

On the other side - I really love that now my monk can put on outfit armor kit while running in robe - cause I HATED my monk running in a dress.
    Also considering that I really care about how my character looks... Im gratefull that now 1 armor kit is not bound to 1 armor permanently. At least the new ones for sure- no idea if all of them, but if all of them its great!
    So actually - changes for good.
    Earlier if I was in robe I could only put on robe armor kit - and I hated that.
    Its cool to see my monk in heavy armor .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast