Community Member

Default Connection to the Server has been Lost

On a daily basis when I try to log into DDO, the game crashed almost 90% of the time, and I get the message "Connection to the server has been lost". The game shuts down, I restart it, and normally I manage to play the game with some success. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to prevent this crash from happening when i first log in or when I haven't played the game in a few hours and then return to play.

I have a very good ISP with good speed, and a decent computer, so I have to think that its something in the game, and I am not sure if its anything I can tweak to prevent this, or if I just have to accept the fact that the game is buggy, and deal with it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Abilbo View Post
    On a daily basis when I try to log into DDO, the game crashed almost 90% of the time, and I get the message "Connection to the server has been lost". The game shuts down, I restart it, and normally I manage to play the game with some success. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to prevent this crash from happening when i first log in or when I haven't played the game in a few hours and then return to play.

I have a very good ISP with good speed, and a decent computer, so I have to think that its something in the game, and I am not sure if its anything I can tweak to prevent this, or if I just have to accept the fact that the game is buggy, and deal with it.
    Happens 100% every time since 18.1 patch.

Under these conditions I will always disconnect first attempt:

1. Fresh boot my laptop that day and try to log in after it being turned off.

2. Resume from hybernation or sleep mode.

3. Reboot.

It appears to be cache related. If I have logged in earlier that day, never rebooted, never put my laptop to sleep or hybernation,. No issue, log in super duper fast.

Nothing changed in my environment, mo updates to A-V, drivers, ISP, nothing. Applied the patch, boom problems started.

Since then I have updated my broadcom NIC drivers and wi-fi utility from HP's website, did a full A-V scan and a full malware scan. Cleared out my broser caches, defragged my HD, and a slew of other preventative maintenace activties and none have prevailed.

Now, since 18.1 my log in is as follows.

1. Boot laptop, launch the client, wait for my toon to log in and see the red network icon.

2. Start task manager, kill the process

3. re-launch the client, and log's in super duper fast.

I am almost convinced it's some sort of caching issue or the way the game seems to enter and endless loops and eventually times out on something and the connection is lost.

I've come to accept this as "normal" as nothing I have tried on my end fixes the problem since the 18.1 patch.
    Last edited by sk3l3t0r; 06-10-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Community Member

Default A Fix?

I am not sure why this is working, or even if it will continue to work, but I have found a temporary solution to this problem.

When I start the game, before I select the character, I go to options, and uncheck the box that says "full screen mode". Once the screen has adjusted to a windowed mode, I select my character and log in, and have no connection issues at all. I can't explain why it works, but I haven't had a crash on login since I started to do this.