Results 1 to 8 of 8

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Community Member GlassJaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,960

    Default Melee Druid build options?

    I've been intrigued by the Druid class but haven't made one yet. However, I'm nearing the end of a caster life on another character and I want to play something different afterwards, even if it's just a fun build to mess around with.

    Anyway, my first thought was a dwarf bear form Drd 16/Bbn 2/Ftr 2 but from everything I've read, bear forms sucks and Bbn isn't very helpful since you can't cast while raging. I could just as easily go Drd 16/Ftr 4.

    I know there are a lot of builds with 2 monk levels but it lowers your damage die (unless you have past lives) and you have to worry about staying centered. However, Drd 16/Ftr 2/Monk 2 would provide the most feats for a feat-starved build.

    Also, is it possible to build a melee druid (along with enhancement respecs here and there) and still be viable in both forms? Figure if I had a decent all-around build, I could try out both forms and see what I prefer.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,660

    Default

    The one i have, which seems to work pretty effectively is here http://ddocrafting.info/myddo/thelanis/Ossanna/
    In summary because dinner in a couple of mins:
    half elf
    rogue dilly
    17druid/2fighter/1wizard (to fit the feats in & still gives access to level 9 spells, ie mass regenerate & snowslide)
    feats:
    Toughness, natural fighting x3, shield mastery, improved shield mastery, quicken spell, empower healing, precision, IC:bludgeon, mental toughness & epic toughness

    I primarily run it in wolf form for the sneak attack bonuses but i guess bear could work pretty well too with a couple of gear amendments, particularly dragonplate & an alchemical tower shield to boost PRR for tanky times. It has a nice amount of healing amp, decent damage output with fast attacks & high doublestrike chance... spells-wise, primarily buffs, healing & those wolf form specific ones, plus some cold spellpower to add the greater creeping cold DoT if necessary. Destiny-wise, naturally primal avatar is a great one & twist that cocoon asap while working (or staying in) others but a lot of the others have their nice points.
    Last edited by FuzzyDuck81; 06-11-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    The one i have, which seems to work pretty effectively is here http://ddocrafting.info/myddo/thelanis/Ossanna/
    In summary because dinner in a couple of mins:
    half elf
    rogue dilly
    17druid/2fighter/1wizard (to fit the feats in & still gives access to level 9 spells, ie mass regenerate & snowslide)
    feats:
    Toughness, natural fighting x3, shield mastery, improved shield mastery, quicken spell, empower healing, precision, IC:bludgeon, mental toughness & epic toughness

    I primarily run it in wolf form for the sneak attack bonuses but i guess bear could work pretty well too with a couple of gear amendments, particularly dragonplate & an alchemical tower shield to boost PRR for tanky times. It has a nice amount of healing amp, decent damage output with fast attacks & high doublestrike chance... spells-wise, primarily buffs, healing & those wolf form specific ones, plus some cold spellpower to add the greater creeping cold DoT if necessary. Destiny-wise, naturally primal avatar is a great one & twist that cocoon asap while working (or staying in) others but a lot of the others have their nice points.
    Can you give more details? Stats and enhancements at least?

  4. #4
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GlassJaw View Post
    I know there are a lot of builds with 2 monk levels but it lowers your damage die (unless you have past lives) and you have to worry about staying centered.
    This was a bug when druid was first released, it was fixed within a few months. Splashing monk can only up your damage as you then get all the effects that can up monk unarmed damage to your damage. Also stunning fist is one of the best abilities in the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noctus View Post
    You can just ignore being centered. For a splash the advantages arent that big and for many builds Do not overweight that what you have to give up to stay centered.


    Just enjoy Evasion in your light Armor and 2 bonusfeats.
    except for a druid staying centered and taking some of the monk stance feats can get you a lot of benefits. My wolf build is a 9 druid 9 monk 2 fighter it has with poor gear.

    6.5[1d10] 17-18 x3 19-20 x5
    45 prr (before gear)
    18% dodge
    25% incorporal
    26% double strike

    Yes I lost spell slots but I have a caster druid to be a caster, being in wolf form nerfs your casting ability pretty bad so you might as well crank up your dps and utility as high as you can and the best way to do that is a heavy monk splash.

  5. #5
    Community Member Soulfurnace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    6.5[1d10] 17-18 x3 19-20 x5
    45 prr (before gear)
    18% dodge
    25% incorporal
    26% double strike

    Yes I lost spell slots but I have a caster druid to be a caster, being in wolf form nerfs your casting ability pretty bad so you might as well crank up your dps and utility as high as you can and the best way to do that is a heavy monk splash.
    Highly recommend his build. I've done similar, was great fun. (Though I had more druid and less monk for healing)

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    The one i have, which seems to work pretty effectively is here http://ddocrafting.info/myddo/thelanis/Ossanna/
    In summary because dinner in a couple of mins:
    half elf
    rogue dilly
    17druid/2fighter/1wizard (to fit the feats in & still gives access to level 9 spells, ie mass regenerate & snowslide)
    Why the 1 wizard level? (This isn't meant to imply you're wrong; I just don't understand).

  7. #7
    Community Member psykopeta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hidden in a secret hold
    Posts
    995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_laughing_god View Post
    Why the 1 wizard level? (This isn't meant to imply you're wrong; I just don't understand).
    for a metamagic feat, i would strongly avoid that build, it's just a 17-2 rogue-1 wiz which is a caster build, changed to have more feats and enhancements to melee, that means gimp by definition, or if you prefer, a caster that uses animal form for flavor

    to the OP:

    in animal form you're considered unarmed, so everything you must do is boosting that unarmed damage, and feats won't help for that, only a meh double strike is a poor option, just compare with waht charononus said: 6,5*1d10, that's far more that what you'll get w/o monk lvls, remember that now monk lvls increase the number of W, not the dice (i would avoid taking the tier 5 from shintao because says change to 1d6 to 1d8, doesn't say increase 1 die step)

    going monk means wis based, which means high dc spells, the trouble is that you won't have high lvl spells, if wanna be really strong in 1 aspect, all around isn't viable, is what made players complain that druid dps sucks, or also said "jack of trades master of none" what meant that ppl built druids awfully because they wanted 1 toon for everything, which isn't viable at all, earthquake is the best cc ingame, 6,5d10 isn't the highest unarmed damage u can get as druid but is pretty high lol, u choose what to do
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

  8. #8
    Community Member Noctus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.
    Posts
    4,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GlassJaw View Post
    ... builds with 2 monk levels ... you have to worry about staying centered.

    You can just ignore being centered. For a splash the advantages arent that big and for many builds Do not overweight that what you have to give up to stay centered.


    Just enjoy Evasion in your light Armor and 2 bonusfeats.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

    AOK - From Argonnessen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload