Community Member

Default Power Attack can only help, never hurt?

Power Attack’s description says “You trade up to 5 of your attack bonus for that much extra damage on melee attacks.” The “up to” part is, in my experience, unique to DDO. Does it mean that Power Attack can only help and never hurt?

In other D&D-based games, as far as I know, Power Attack always gives the full 5 penalty to your attack bonus. For example, if—after considering everything else—you need to roll a 10 to hit something, and you roll a 13, with Power Attack, you’d miss, because 13-5 = 8 and 8 is less than 10. This “up to” phrasing makes it sound like instead of missing, in DDO you’d hit and do 3 extra damage. 13-5=8. 8+2=10, so you only used 2 of your "up to" 5 points, leaving 3 for damage. Is this how it works? I know DDO departed from the PnP system, but the question still applies, just with different math. This was just the simpler way of explaining the question.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Asanarama View Post
    Power Attack’s description says “You trade up to 5 of your attack bonus for that much extra damage on melee attacks.” The “up to” part is, in my experience, unique to DDO. Does it mean that Power Attack can only help and never hurt?

In other D&D-based games, as far as I know, Power Attack always gives the full 5 penalty to your attack bonus. For example, if—after considering everything else—you need to roll a 10 to hit something, and you roll a 13, with Power Attack, you’d miss, because 13-5 = 8 and 8 is less than 10. This “up to” phrasing makes it sound like instead of missing, in DDO you’d hit and do 3 extra damage. 13-5=8. 8+2=10, so you only used 2 of your "up to" 5 points, leaving 3 for damage. Is this how it works? I know DDO departed from the PnP system, but the question still applies, just with different math. This was just the simpler way of explaining the question.
    No, it's for if you have less than 5 attack bonus.
    If you got PA as a first level fighter you'd only have a +1 attack bonus, so PA would give you -1 hit +1 damage.

Geoff.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    No, it's for if you have less than 5 attack bonus.
    If you got PA as a first level fighter you'd only have a +1 attack bonus, so PA would give you -1 hit +1 damage.

Geoff.
    Lol. So like me to overcomplicate things. Thanks Geoff.

Community Member

Geoff nailed it but
    Quote Originally Posted by Asanarama View Post
    In other D&D-based games, as far as I know, Power Attack always gives the full 5 penalty to your attack bonus.
    I dont' know what other D&D games you're talking about, but in pnp 3E, you decide on your action how much attack bonus to subtract, which then goes to damage, and the amount cannot exceed your Base Attack Bonus.