Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    Hey

Give me your thoughts on the following. Be verbose, but not 'it sucks' I need 'it sucks because of'

Enhancements
    1. I like the trees idea. It is simple and easy to use. However, I do think that there should be a separation between base class tree and prestige trees.
    2. I would like to see a chart or a table to tell us what ability stacks and what is not stacking from different trees. General convention is items stacks with enhancements even with the same name and the enhancements from different trees with the same name does not stack; except enhancements that increase character abilities?
    3. Also, please remove the abilities that are based on hit points. Having to watch hit points bar while focusing on the battle field is not fun.

Guild Decay
    Don't really care about this.

Whatever your pet peeve is.

Thanks.
    As a long time player since the original DDO beta, I would say these:

1. The story of the quest does not change dynamically. Therefore, repeating quests can sometimes be a grind and not fun.
    2. The traps in the quests do not change dynamically. Therefore, players ignore traps.
    3. The monsters in the quests are always at roughly the same place. Players anticipated monster capabilities are the same.
    4. There are no EPIC level spells while melees have enjoyed lots of melee weapons and armors and PRR.
    5. There are no fun level 8 and 9 spells. Therefore a lot of hybrid multi-class characters just keyed on those staple spells or SLAs. Perhaps, there should be powerful capstone and high level capabilities that are as good as splashing 2 levels of monk, 2 levels of rogue or 2 levels of paladin?
    6. The layout of the dungeon does not change dynamically. There is limited replayability. I know this is tougher to do than #1, #2 or #3.
    7. Why only 10 dungeons in Expansion Pack 2 while Gianthold has the same number of dungeons?
    8. IMHO, there should be dungeons that reward DC casting in additional dungeons that rewards huge bursts DPS. There should be multiple play styles suitable.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    That does very little to combat the "country club" mentality that already exists. Simply put, players are their own worst enemy in this instance, and there isn't much that "execs" can do about it.
    See . . . I started with F2P and grew into a good player and much of that is as F2P people didn't get any help at all from the "vets." We learned the game ourselves and it made us better players.

You are always better off playing with your peers, better off playing with people at your skill level. it's no fun to be the piker and it's not particularly fun carrying pikers.

There's a lot that can be done though on the "exec" level. GOOD tutorials would help, as would character paths that aren't the complete garbage that we have now. Iconic heroes are possibly the worst idea ever but it is what it is.

Another thing is give us incentive to group. Dungeon scaling on Elite has got to go. I'm sorry, but it's SO MUCH EASER to solo on elite than it is to group for 90% of the heroic game. Mobs hit for like nothing, traps are a joke, mob HP is so low it's not funny. a 4th, 5th, or 6th player needs to add value to the group more than they add to the dungeon scaling and right there they do no.

BYOH is the name of the game now, this needs to be easier for newer players through tutorials, gear, and NOT P2Win. That'll drive more people away.

That said . . . there's a ton of new players, just need to keep them interested.

Community Member Thumbed_Servant's Avatar

Default Up to us......

Quote Originally Posted by MelkiorPeasantbane View Post

Grouping and questing seems to occur within guild and channels and not pugs. I don't have a suggestion or a fix, just a statement of a perceived problem. (Yes, I know I can make my own pugs, and sometimes I do, thank you very much)
    Funny thing is, all MMO's work against the science of group dynamics. What you are describing is exactly why exclusive clubs in a finite community are the worst idea.
    I agree with Melkior's observation, and with MajMalphunction's assessment. I have run 2 guilds and with the current guild we run a chat channel keeping us in touch with an even larger group outside our guild, and we do most often group from our chat channel. I have taken it on myself of late to post lfm's more during regular questing and to thus meet more people and help more new people. It is base animal nature to gather with known entities, and we humans are no different. It is only by learning and intentional behavioral change that we elevate above base animal nature: In this case, WE must rise above the instinct of grouping with only those we know, post those lfm's, and meet new players. Remember, we were all pugs at one time For me personally, I will soon be tr'ing my Heidie along with a guildmate Siyah and I plan for us to post lfm's for most of our questing, starting on Korthos, meet new players and hopefully help and encourage those who are just trying the game and enable some of them enjoy the game more.

Sincerely,

Muhther, Hildegarde, Sheolah, Heidie, and more on Argonnessen
    Last edited by Thumbed_Servant; 06-12-2013 at 11:14 AM.
    Thumbed_Servant (to 3 cats ) I LOVE playing a healer (nannybot to the derisive folks)
    Leader: Order of Sunlit Rose on Argonnessen server
    Current active toons: Hildegarde 22 clr/ Pixsie 20 rog/ Muhther25 clr/ Sheolah 2-14 multi(rog/wiz)/ Heidie 2-7multi(rgr/clr)/ Grindhaus 23 ftr/ Slashira 20 ftr/ Commandur 11 clr

Ok, I have admittedly been a bit negative when it comes to Turbine and its tendency to ignore/willfully oppose player concerns. But I am willing to give this a good-faith effort so here's my 2 cents:

Enhancements:

Serious problems here- this is WHY: Many of us have asked for a very long time for enhancements, and specifically PREs, to be finished. No one has been asking for a complete revamp of the system, so I don't know why this was needed. Even so, a revamp is not a big deal in and of iteslf, except that there are major features being taken away from existing toons. Here are a few, IMO major, examples:
    -Limitation to three trees, and concurrent loss of general class enhancements makes multiclass toons that relied on general class skills as opposed to PRE abilities much less viable.
    - MUCH Too many active abilities with independent cooldowns
    - Change of slayer arrows, no matter how you couch it, is a 20 damage/arrow nerf to archers, especially those, like myself, who do not want to make extensive use of active abilities.
    - Loss of spellsingers' % chance to grant sp to entire party every time they sing a song (based off perform ability) is a major nerf to an already weak class that needed major buff, not a nerf.
    - everything about "gathering frost" from the warchanter tree is a joke. Multiply all damage numbers associated with it by 100 and MAYBE it would be situationally useful.
    - Sorcs getting much too little spellpower.
    - Casters locked into using only class trees and no racial ones because racial trees do not grant universal spellpower while class ones do.

Guild renown:
    No system is going to make everyone happy, or even avoid some people being angry.
    IMO:
    -Small guild bonus should decrease as guild level increases.
    - Decay should be based on guild size only if accounts can be counted as active vs. inactive for the actual day they play, not on a 2 week cooldown. Decay is needed.
    - There should be tiers after which you cannot decay below them. For example, at levels 25, 50, 75, 95 once you get your guild to that level it never goes down below it again.

Pet Peeve:
    People taking their time to offer constructive criticism and continuing to see no response from the development team, and seeing them actively do things no one asked for while ignoring real player concerns.
    Shmuel Xadin Xadins Errand Mohnster Yitzhak

Quote Originally Posted by dejafu View Post
    I'm going to ridiculously oversimplify this, and any critiques that what I'm about to describe misses several other key factors are completely correct. But I'm gonna do it anyway:

Pugging has had a lot of ups and downs in DDO history, and we're definitely in a downswing lately. One thing that remains one of the most constant aggravations, though, is that 80-90% of the time the group fills up reasonably well, then sits around waiting forever to get some kind of dedicated healer. You can make plenty of reasonable cases that this isn't actually necessary, but it doesn't matter: people want their healers, but nobody wants to play them.

Those that even bother to level and gear up a healer usually save them for guild runs. Why? Because guild runs usually go more smoothly and take up fewer resources. The guild in question doesn't even need to be an "uber" guild - people who are familiar with each other work better together, plain and simple.

So one thing that could be done to nudge people more in the direction of pugging is this: give people more of a reason to play Clerics and Favored Souls (and maybe buff up Druid healing abilities). And find ways to make healing for random groups less of a pain. If we could cut down "healer wait time" in pugging even by half, that would go a long way towards getting people out of guild chat and into the broader community.
    As a guy who never pugs his healer I gotta agree with this.

It never bothered me that FvS used to be borderline OP because it was always understood that they'd heal the gimps as well as kill a ton of stuff.

Now with DC casting being as weak as it is . . . why play the FvS unless you just wanna be a healer?

1. Enhancements - Haven't reviewed them so I'll pass on this question.

2. Renown Decay - Scrap it. Remove the 100 cap. Allow guilds to continue to accrue levels. Eventually add some more flavor to the guild options via higher renown rewards. I'm not talking about more buffs, but new features. You now have glamered armor cosmetics so how about guild specific armors?, more interactive stuff on airships, etc...

3. Pet Peeves -
    a. Longstanding bugs/issues. Every single update an effort should be made to at least fix one or two issues. While it's great that most of the critical bugs get fixed and more and more content is being added the game itself is becoming more imperfect with every update. Immersion into the game is becoming more difficult to the little glitchy **** that never gets fixed.
    b. Inventory Management - I've posted several times over the years that an account wide UI is needed. The mechanics of this game promote the sharing of equipment across our characters... the UI needs to be updated. Account wide search and organization tools would be great. When you have 20+ characters logging in and out looking for something plain sucks.

Thanks for opening up the communication MM. You deserve to be commended for your efforts to work with the playerbase.
    Argonessenn -Officer of Storm Shadow-
    Olen Anteres

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Quote Originally Posted by BurnerD View Post
    Thanks for opening up the communication MM. You deserve to be commended for your efforts to work with the playerbase.
    I hope that the communications continue to be open... and not just ending up in one-sided flame wars like some of the "let's talk" threads...

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Another thing is give us incentive to group. Dungeon scaling on Elite has got to go.
    Yep. Just design elite for a 6man group and let those of them that can solo it anyways get away with it! The bravery streak needs some kind of change so that people are not trying to "force it" above their ability.... and hoping to get dragged by someone that can solo it... that way we end up with even more L20s than usual that cannot actually play their toon...

That said . . . there's a ton of new players, just need to keep them interested.
    Like I said earlier... have a competition to design "the paths" and let the community vote on the winners... that way maybe new players wont be gimped before they even start playing!
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Community Member Thumbed_Servant's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MeliCat View Post

...We're so spread out now across 25 levels instead of 20 that lfming is challenging anyway. Anything we can do to make DDO more inclusive and friendly we should do - even those things that make it nicer for soloists - it's possible to be friendly and nice to people with the minimum of people interaction :P
    ^ ^ Well said, and agreed to.
    Thumbed_Servant (to 3 cats ) I LOVE playing a healer (nannybot to the derisive folks)
    Leader: Order of Sunlit Rose on Argonnessen server
    Current active toons: Hildegarde 22 clr/ Pixsie 20 rog/ Muhther25 clr/ Sheolah 2-14 multi(rog/wiz)/ Heidie 2-7multi(rgr/clr)/ Grindhaus 23 ftr/ Slashira 20 ftr/ Commandur 11 clr

Hey

Give me your thoughts on the following. Be verbose, but not 'it sucks' I need 'it sucks because of'

Enhancements

Guild Decay

Thanks.
    Enhancements - Assuming you meant AP point enhancements here, of which I have no opinion. I have looked over the new enhancement system briefly and think its more of the same just with different packaging. Yeah, it may break some of the current builds, but new ones will be made. So.. neutral on the subject.

Guild Decay - I find that guild decay annoys more people then it should. But the alternative is everyone having level 100 guilds already, which they probably would. I also find "ship invite pls" to be annoying, and if everyone could get level 100 ships then those requests would eventually stop. I personally think guild ships need a complete rework, not just the guild decay aspect. If guild members ONLY could use the ship amenities, or preferably the ship buffs were auto applied upon entering the ship to, once again, guild members only, that would go a long way towards making guild ships a better system. But Guild Decay itself.... I think ultimately it only serves to frustrate players and serves no real purpose beyond that.

Whatever my pet peeve is - There are a LOT of things about DDO that annoy me, but one such thing that seems rather insignificant but is constantly coming up. DAMAGE IMMUNE MONSTERS. I'm talking about: Ogre Magi, Scorpions, Phase Spiders, etc. Enemies that just straight up do something that makes it impossible to damage them (though ogre magi will stupidly continue to stand in AOE's till they die... brilliant strategists that they are). So yeah, make scopions stop digging, magi stop "super awesome invising" (seriously True Seeing should still see them), and phase spiders ignoring the displacement rules (of give me a phasing weapon).

As a guy who never pugs his healer I gotta agree with this.

It never bothered me that FvS used to be borderline OP because it was always understood that they'd heal the gimps as well as kill a ton of stuff.

Now with DC casting being as weak as it is . . . why play the FvS unless you just wanna be a healer?
    Adding a few thoughts to this:

Unilateral saves inflation on enemy mobs, boosting of melee damage via epic destinies and gear, limiting dc potiental on casting classes, and now lowering damage potential on hardcapped casters has all but killed the idea of dc casting.

In the past year there have been a multitude of boosts directed at melee players.

In the past year there have been three unilateral raising of mob saves. Seems pretty likely they are going up again for level raise.

In the past year there have been little to no gear available or released that allows dc casting classes to meet the unilateral raises, thus they've been snuffed out. Builds killed...

No one on the development side has shared or even acknowledged that they are aware that droves of casters (divine and arcane side) abandoned the effort to reach near impossible numbers in favor of no save effects. Developers killed a high number of otherwise viable builds unilaterally raising mob saves, allowing stupid immunities to persist (Giants in Tor), etc...

Developers have taken away the ability to use a varitey of spells on the dc casting side with these moves. The dc casting destiny is so underpowered compared to any of the others it's literally the subject of a joke amongst end game players I know and run with.

Casters have a level 9 spell that has been nerfed severely (wail arcane side/implosion divine side) and now outright busted with no fix in sight. There are NO EPIC SPELLS AVAILABLE TO DIVINE AND ARCANE CASTERS yet there are books dedicated to them filled with source material.

What's the end result? If you are a caster, go either Shiradi Destiny or WF Archmage enchanter or go home. If you are a divine, shut up and stand around and heal me.

How can your development team even feign suprise at this?
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

[...]

Thanks.
    Oh yeah, one more thing: fix the spell "Wail of the Banshee". It seemed to be broken after Update 14.

Also, the Magister (DC casting destiny) is too weak. Make Null Magic Aura worth having and Arcane Spellsurge a permanent +10 DC and Spell Penetration effect instead of a clicky for merely +5 DC.

This DC casting epic moment is too weak compared to Blitz, Everything is Nothing or Unbridled Fury.
    Last edited by Tyrande; 06-11-2013 at 12:17 PM.

2 Things that bug me

1) Grouping .... Bravery bonus ... TR2+xp
    I love the extra xp it gives but hate what it does to grouping
    Basically you do things only when you are a certain level when on TR2+ life due to the ungodly amount of xp required
    This keeps me from groups that are doing quests that are not (quest level +2 = my level)
    would rather see less xp needed for TR1 & TR2 and the whole elite/hard streak go away
    This would let me feel as though grouping outside a very narrow quest level range (1) would not hurt me
    This would also let me do more normal runs - thereby be willing to have pugs join
    2) Scaling - Dungeon Scaling
    Yes it helps the solo player ....
    The issue is most pugs are not worth the difficulty increase by having them in the party especially on elite
    & most of the time it is easier & faster to solo something then it is to get a group - even on elite
    Also 10% .... if you have a 6 char party .... then you are going to loose it (well 80% of the time) .... see TR2+xp

Last edited by Theolin; 06-11-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: extra silly [] tags

Hey

Enhancements
    A lot of good feedback already, but really quickly some major points:

1. Points spent in tree needs to be changed... preferably total points spent
    2. Racial trees need to be completed and worthwhile (especially racial prEs), not too overly expensive for garbage
    3. All trees need more in them, wasting points just to meet pre reqs is bad design, a simple solution to this and the general enh in specific trees problem is to put the general class enh in all trees but making them not stack, kills two birds with one stone
    4. Was really looking forward to creative, new, and finished prestiges for all classes, not just combining old ones.

In general I really liked what Ive seen and the direction things are going, just need some tweaks to make the system great. Get creative with the new/unfinished prEs and racial trees and I will be happy. Don't even mind redoing my toons as long as the new system has lots of choices.
    Still love this game...

Quote Originally Posted by dejafu View Post
    [...]

Pugging has had a lot of ups and downs in DDO history, and we're definitely in a downswing lately. One thing[...]but it doesn't matter: people want their healers, but nobody wants to play them.

[...]
    So one thing that could be done to nudge people more in the direction of pugging is this: give people more of a reason to play Clerics and Favored Souls (and maybe buff up Druid healing abilities). And find ways to make healing for random groups less of a pain. If we could cut down "healer wait time" in pugging even by half, that would go a long way towards getting people out of guild chat and into the broader community.
    I have a level 20 cleric that is shelved and a level 16FvS/2Mnk that I played occasionally. Why? Because playing them is no fun and wasted lots of resources. Last night we had a full party including the FvS and no dedicated healer joined after 20 minutes of waiting. We decided to start the Druid's Deep chain on elite. First quest wasn't so bad, only 1 death at the boss fight and only 2 heal scrolls were used. 2nd quest at the house of Overgrowth and there were 10 deaths due to traps and no trapper in the party and people didn't have evasion rushing in. Resources used: 20 heal scrolls, 1 major mnemonic pot, 5 resurrection scrolls, 5 raise dead scrolls. There was one barbarian without evasion and resists that kept on dying. PCs were dying left and right and the FvS was too busy fighting, healing and rez'ing at the same time.

This, IMHO, is too much resources for one quest. We finished, but it ended up the leader DC'd in the middle of the quest, and loosing the hireling healer. The sorcerer raged quit right away after quest completion.

Default Guild Decay - It sucks because....

Guild Decay - It sucks because....

Primarily, guildies are an inconsistent and dynamic resource. The vast majority of people really cannot commit to that type of behavior while pursuing entertainment value from an online game. There are a vast number of reasons why guildmembers may get called away for extended periods of time and thus cause a double-whammy of not only not earning renown, but being detrimental by counting against guild size. Military deployments, school exams, illness, home/house relocation, employment issues, financial trouble, etc., should not be reasons to penalize a group of friends that are trying to enjoy DDO.

Additionally, I never really understood why the Renown system was even invented/implemented. It seemed like such a no-brainer to just base guild levels off of the existing Favor system?
    "The sword itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with swords."

Hero
    and Mo Bro H'ro

Default Pet Peeve: Hireline Artificial (Un-)Intelligence

One of my pet peeves is the hireling AI. Ever since "The Great Lobotomy" that was U9, they have been clearly Un-Intelligent. Granted, there have been some improvements since about U10.1, or so, but their behavior still does not always follow their settings and they still do decidedly stupid acts. To wit:1) In "defensive" mode, they will still go running all the way across the room/area to try and hit something. In "defensive" mode, they should never go running off - they should stay within, say, a 30-ft/10-m radius of the character, and only attack mobs that are within that radius that are attacking the character and (here's a crazy thought...) focus on "defending". Unless, of course, they are told to guard someone, then same rules for whomever they are guarding.In "active" mode, by all means, send them running hither-and-thither, attacking any mobs in range.2) They should be smart enough to NOT go jump into lava pools, acid pools, or "anything-that-is-not-water" pools that do damage. Now, I realize that the lava, acid, etc. pools are (most likely) 'programmable water pools', but still - if they're standing in a pool (or even just on the edge of one) and it starts giving them damage (I'm looking at you, "Proof is in the Poison"), they need to be smart enough to MOVE OUT OF IT and not just spam healing on themselves (with regards to healers, of course) until they run out of mana and die.3) In the case of healers, they should NOT heal "charmed" mobs, unless specifically told to do so.4) If they are told to "stay", they should "stay". Now, I know the healers are just trying to be helpful, but when I'm running "The Pit", for example, and tell them to stay behind a pillar so they are safe, I really don't want them to come running to where I am, throw a heal, then go running back to where they were, I just want them to stay there - period. If I come back to be in-range of their healing, then by all mean throw a heal, but don't have them come running to me (unless I call) - I'll go running to them. I shouldn't have to put them into "passive" mode AND "stay" for them to not move.5) If they are told to "stay", but then are called, they should teleport, and not try to run, if: a) They are more than, say, 100 (maybe 200?) yards/meters away from the character, or b) They are on different (vertical) levels from the character. It seems that vertical distances{Granted, there has been marked improvement on the use of "teleport", but every now and again, they will run through lava, acid, mobs, whatever instead of teleporting.}6) If set to "passive" mode, they should not do anything unless told. Now, I have not seen a problem with this mode, but I have heard some guildies complain about it.7) In the case of healers, they should be smart enough to throw the appropriate level of healing based on my HP percentage. That is, if I'm at 10% (or less), they should NOT be throwing "cure light wounds" - unless that's all they have. Again, this seems to be much better at present - at least, I have not personally experienced it lately.8) They need to stop taking so many coffee breaks.Maybe we just need to break the hireling union...----While we're discussing hirelings, can I just ask about the L23 FvS hireling hotbar choices? I mean, "Hero's Feast"? Seriously? Of all the available spells/SLA's with EDs and you chose to put "Hero's Feast" on the hotbar? Just what kind of drinks were being served that day, anyway?....and can I get some?
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

Guild Renown

System still needs changes, the decay to small / medium guilds being the same as the decay for large guilds isn't right. Especially since a small guilds renown bonuses doesn't come anywhere close to what a large guild can earn.

Enhancements

Why change what isn't broke. I understand the difficulty of the original system to a new player. However the new system was a major disappointment to me when I previewed. What's even more annoying what having surveys time out on me because of the amount of feedback I left.

Pet Peeves

Getting 2k xp for a epic completion of a quest is annoying, especially if I ran it a lot at heroic difficulties before MOTU was announced. Why should I be at -90% xp on an epic quest / raid?
    Last edited by LordPiglet; 06-11-2013 at 02:15 PM.
    Arrael - Tempest/Kensai; Alyesia - Exploiter Build; Porksoda - WF FvS; Kaealla - Paladin; Arodeth - Envoker FvS

Guild Decay - knowing your guild will decay down to 25. I really dislike that.
    It should never decay to more than 5 less than it's maximum.

It would be nice to "rest" from pursuing guild faction for a while before making an assault on it.

The guild stuff is all about your fame, and needing to keep it constant by doing things. But the decay is too much.

Let me give you an example: Who was Muhammed Ali? Now that is fame though he has not boxed for 30+ years.
    I tell you what, I could not name the current boxing heavyweight champion if my life depended on it.

Hey

Give me your thoughts on the following. Be verbose, but not 'it sucks' I need 'it sucks because of:

Enhancements
    I haven't logged into DDO since September. I was pretty burnt out and fed up with the endgame, but my expectation was that I'd take a few months off and come back to the game, if not just out of the blue, for the enhancement pass, which I was very excited about when it was first announced.

Then I saw the alpha.

Let's see if I can keep my problems with it shortish.
    1. Looking at the paladin, it would cost me more AP to get the same stuff I have on live now, while also losing more than I was gaining (as a Defender of Siberys), and in a big way. The breaking up of the DoS abilities into multiple tiny, expensive enhancements both straight-jackets characters looking to maintain the level of effectiveness they have currently (and on a pure-classed character, so not looking at some highly specialized multiclass combo being changed), and looks incredibly dull from the perspective of someone that has been playing a paladin since DDO launched (played one on my friend's account for a little while at the tail end of Beta and into launch before getting my own account a few years later--my join date). I've been lobbying for various improvements to the paladin for YEARS and have seen some go live, but this looks like a major step backward. With the AP costs being what they are, even having access to KotC simultaneously doesn't make up for the losses. I had posted my thoughts on this during the alpha, but with the new forums, I can't tell if my post got wiped away, or just can't be found.

Basically, I end up losing DPS, versatility, and a degree of hardiness, and in return, get a decent prevent-death ability. Importantly, I lose Weapons of Good. Yes, a lot of people find it to be fairly weak, but it has its strengths, and I've banked on them with my gear allocation up to level 25. Really, paladins should be the best class at bypassing DR/Good, and that just isn't the case right now. I'd like to see an enhancement that comes in around level 12-15 that allows paladins to treat their weapons as being good-aligned. It really shouldn't be a level 20 thing, and it shouldn't be restricted to the back end of one PrE. Ideally, I'd say that the Holy Sword spell should be updated to work more like an artificer infusion that makes your own weapon good-aligned, silver, byeshk, and adamantine, and adds 1d6 Good damage to it. Ideally, it would also stack with a buff from an artificer, since this would be self-only (like their Insightful Strike buff), paladins already have issues with not being able to stack buffs, and making things not stack with semi-common buffs means that the thing needs to either be strong enough to keep the character on par without the outside buff or else it often isn't worth using/counter-intuitively weakens the character.

I would have also really liked to see more done with Smite Evil and Lay On Hands in the enhancements.
    2. Enhancement costs need to be differentiated. Too many mediocre enhancements cost 2 AP (and have multiple ranks). My thinking is that only single-tier, and strong multi-tier enhancements should cost 2 AP/rank. Everything else (including core abilities) should be 1 AP/rank.
    3. Core abilities really should have remained auto-grants like we have in the epic destinies. The way they work now is a little confusing to people that have been playing with epic destinies for a year, which look identical, but work differently. Also, they end up locking too many actual core abilities behind junky prerequisites (the half-orc is a good example of this, but is hardly the only one).
    4. The wizard looks very boring. I love my Palemaster, but after looking at the enhancements, I felt like I wouldn't even want to log onto her. The tree requires a ton of AP spent in improving your minion if you want the other high-tier abilities, and given the way that minions work in DDO, I simply have zero interest in the ability. On top of that, a lot of time spent on a PM is spent moving quickly and dodging around monsters, which minions are notoriously awful at doing. Add to this the fact that spells are getting weaker for the most part.

I'd much prefer for there not to be more DC increases added to the game.
      We have too many as it stands, and it becomes very difficult to balance content to be accessible to the caster that has every DC buff around, and those without a lot of the stuff, particularly since they are such a necessity for most caster roles--all of that DC buffing simply becomes a tax. They aren't interesting or exciting either. I'd rather see some new abilities added, rather than simply inflate numbers.
    5. Numerical inflation is also an issue across the whole enhancement alpha, with a lot of enhancements that do nothing but add small values (+1, +2) to attack, damage, AC, saves, PRR, and DCs. Most of that is rather dull, over-costed, ineffectual, or all three. You changed the entire to-hit/AC mechanic in the game, but it feels like design hasn't caught up with that, since tiny bonuses to attack or AC can often be meaningless. Yes, the whole point is to stack multiple bonuses to achieve a larger effect, but it's still kind of ****** to have to pay for things that don't do anything unless you also have X, Y and Z.
    6. The only character I was really excited about logging into was my ranger, (currently a 12 monk/6 ranger/2 artificer Arcane Archer), who I'd be seriously interested in TRing to capitalize upon the buffs to AA and Deepwood Stalker (Sniper), probably keeping 6 levels of monk for 10K Stars, but maybe not. Costs need to come down in a lot of places in the ranger trees, but otherwise, I was rather happy with them (especially Deepwood).
    7. I also liked (some) of the rogue stuff, but would have liked to see more Assassin stuff that benefits from sneaking. Not necessarily abilities that require, or only work with, stealth, but that have additional benefits for sneaking characters.
    8. The 3-tree limitation just feels overly restrictive and for no reason: AP is still the limiting factor, and the system didn't look completely freed from level gating either, so why is the further restriction required?
    9. On the flip side, there simply isn't enough incentive to stay pure-classed on many characters, especially martial toons. My suggestion would be for tier 5 abilities in one tree to get locked out if you have tier 5 abilities in another tree (so you can only take one tree's tier 5s), but that lock is removed at class level 20, so pure classed characters could pick up tier 5 abilities in more than one tree. Now, obviously, if AP is too high for this to even be a possibility it would be a moot point, but I'd like to see this as an incentive to go 20 in a single class balanced against the greater flexibility multi-classed characters are gaining.

Just gonna go with the BIG ones here:

1. The epic destiny leveling system. The way it is designed currently, characters spend a little bit of time in the destiny they want and then spend 10 times as much time in destinies they don't in order to continue advancing. This is different from TRing in a few important ways: A) you don't need to TR to continue advancing your character in the same way that destinies and the endgame work, B) there is no reason to do an opposing TR (an arcane life on a previously martial character, for example) unless you are going for Completionist, C) when you TR, you can redesign the character to perform in its new role if you do make a major change there, whereas you're still playing the same character in other destinies that do nothing for it, which makes leveling through many destinies incredibly frustrating and dull. I really liked Unyielding Sentinel on my paladin, Shadowdancer on my rogue, Shiradi Champion on my archer, and Grandmaster of Flowers on my monk, but I've spend much more time in other, less fun (or entirely worthless) destinies on these characters than in the ones I actually enjoy. This is the number one reason I haven't logged into the game in 9 months.

My suggestion here would be to allow us to earn XP in a destiny we aren't in currently at a reduced rate (50%,say). You end up requiring more XP overall (which is saying something, given how much of a grind acquiring twists is already), but it would allow characters to stay in the destiny they LIKE if that's what they want to do. Maybe require 1 level achieved normally in a destiny in order to select it for acquiring partial XP when in another destiny? For example, if I wanted to stay in Unyielding Sentinel on my paladin, but wanted to max out all destinies for the fate points, I would take a path...maybe hit 4 in US to get into Grandmaster, level it to 1, then go back to US while earning 50% XP in GMoF. Once that hit level 3, I could move into Legendary Dreadnought, level it to 1, then jump back into US, at which point I would choose between GMoF or LD to receive 50% XP while playing in US, or I could select US as my leveling destiny to continue advancing that with a normal XP rate.
    2. The new forums. Even when I wasn't playing DDO, I remained fairly active on the forums, because I still liked and cared for the game, wanted to see it improve, and wanted to keep informed about it, but with the changes, I've hardly been on the forums at all. I find it more difficult to find information, the last time I checked the Lamannia Dev Tracker was still broken, and I (again) had trouble logging into the forums (my password didn't work, was getting session timed out messages after a few seconds). I went to reset my password, but was unable to use the password I wanted even though it was 7 characters (including a letter and a number), despite the password reset instructions claiming to only require 6 characters. I had to add an eighth character in order for the password to be accepted. Very annoying. As is being logged out constantly! Tried submitting this post, and had to relog, which didn't direct me back to this page. Seriously, I don't understand why the team decided to change the forums, when they worked, and then didn't even bother ensuring that the new ones would function without a slew of bugs that make using the forums so painful activity has dried up to a trickle.
    3. I feel like the game has moved away from allowing a variety of methods for approaching and defeating content. Sure, perching is kind of cheesy, but this is D&D--it's supposed to allow for stuff like that. It feels like fewer and fewer quests can be completed using stealth. Monster save DCs continue to outpace players' abilities to improve their DCs, creating an arms race of sorts (similar to the AC vs. to-hit race)...
    4. Speaking of which, the whole point of the changes to the AC system were to make AC relevant late into the game, and useful for more than just the ultra-focused characters, yet what I, and everyone that I've seen post to the forums, have found is that even strongly-AC-focused characters are getting hit all the time in Epic Elite content. What was the point of the changes if you're just going to jack up monster to-hit so much that it renders AC irrelevant again?
    5. We could really use not just more developer communication and interaction, but also some developer comments about their intent. Knowing how the devs intend something to work, or why they're making a particular change, or how they envision characters to be built, would help a lot in being able to deliver useful feedback. If, for example, the devs make a change designed to restrict players in some way for a particular reason, but don't tell us why, all we have to go on is our reaction to it, without necessarily seeing the bigger picture, or how it fulfills the developers' intent.
    6. We need more epic feats. Spending a feat for +1 to an ability score is rather weak, especially when someone else may be getting +1 to their crit multiplier, or +50 HP, or whatever. Right now, there are too few feats for the multitude of characters out there, and most of them have fairly restrictive prerequisites, barring some character from picking up anything that feels even remotely epic. While the Epic Player's Handbook had a lot of ridiculous garbage in it (both over- and under-powered), it did have plenty of stuff that would be worth adapting into DDO. At the very least, I think every class should get one epic feat that requires X levels of that class to acquire (12 seems a good number), and there should be at least 2 epic feats that target particular character roles (Str-based melee warrior, Dex-based melee warrior, archer, TWFer, THFer, S&Ber, DC caster, buffer, nuker) with prerequisites low enough that characters in those roles can pick up the feats without too much difficulty (0 or 1 feat outside their wheelhouse, an ability score requirement of 19 or 21 in their primary stat, or 17/19 in a secondary) so that there are both more options, and more real choices to be made for most characters. Right now we have a lot of toons cramming Power Attack, Cleave and Great Cleave into their builds, even if those feats do almost nothing for them, just to get the one worthwhile martial feat without class level prerequisites.
    7. Ranged weapon support. In addition to their being tons of effects that don't work on ranged weapons, even if they don't indicate such a restriction (like on-hit abilities found on armor and accessories) and not having items with the ranged equivalent of double-strike, there is the big problem with the monk (and Ten Thousand Stars, and the various shuriken-focused enhancements in the alpha and epic destinies) where virtually none of your offensive class features work with ranged weapons. You can't gain Ki with shurikens, can't use elemental/aligned strikes with them, and can't do either with bows even after spending a feat to become centered with them. It doesn't strike me as being too powerful to allow this, and the design team has demonstrated that problems with the game engine are surmountable. Right now, if you want to use 10K Stars, you either need to melee a considerable amount to build up Ki, or invest rather heavily in passive Ki generation, which doesn't come online until level 12 at the earliest, really. It makes for some rather restrictive build options, and isn't very interesting, nor fair to ranged characters who have spent all of their feats on ranged combat. If earning excessive Ki via Manyshot or Improved Precise Shot is a concern, make an adjustment so that only one arrow in a volley counts for generating Ki, only the first enemy struck generates Ki, or cause Ki to generate slower while these stances are active (Ki could generate at 1/2 a point per hit while using Manyshot at BAB +6, 1/3 at BAB +11, and 1/4 at BAB +16).

I really can't see how allowing monk strikes that work with melee monk weapons to work with ranged monk weapons would be problematic. Make it so!
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Hey if the problem with Renown is allowing uberness for a few,
    I'm willing for something like dropping the level cap and plugging
    in some insanely high requirements for number well over 100,
    provided we kill renown decay.

Any DM knows, don't take the candy away from the players...

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast