Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    DDO Producer

Default Monday Morning with Major Mal

Hey

Give me your thoughts on the following. Be verbose, but not 'it sucks' I need 'it sucks because of'

Enhancements

Guild Decay

Whatever your pet peeve is.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    Hey

Give me your thoughts on the following. Be verbose, but not 'it sucks' I need 'it sucks because of'

Enhancements

Guild Decay

Thanks.

For me:-

Enhancements, dont come to the table till you have a full set. I have waited a long time, can wait longer till its complete.

Guild Decay, just scrap it.

Enhancements ... leave them as is, or at least dont give us that travesty they tried on lama. beacause it KILLED so many builds

Guild Decay......seems ok could be abit less...because. its too much for some not so active guilds

Whatever your pet peeve is.... i dont like AwesomiumProcess.exe because it's a pile of kolbold turd. for my game to work good. (on all 3 of my gaming rigs...i have to put it back in my game dir, start the lame launcher, then move the file out of the dir , sence i started doing that ive logged in the first time EVERYTIME even on my laptop. just as long as you guys know we arent too worried about being able to visit your ddo store

there i vented

Guild decay sucks because as a small guild you get to a point where you can't advance.

Hey

Enhancements

Guild Decay

Thanks.
    Enchantments: I like the idea, and most of the implementation. On the current implementation I would modify costs of many 2/3/4 cost enchantments that are never worth it and lower required points spent for many low mid level enchantments as at levels 3-6 there are often situations for me where none of the enchantments available do me any good. I have not looked at the new system extensively, just short test on lamannia and read though of the others, but the limited number of trees seems like a pain, other than that it is a huge improvement.

Guild decay: I think that the idea is good(inactive guilds "get forgotten" eventually), but I would probably raise the level of "no decay". (Further raising maximum levels and giving more high level buffs would be nice, for example 2 hours instead of 1 hour and +50 higher level needed?)

Pet peeve: Only 3 classes allowed. So many builds of mine would need 1-3 levels of fourth class.. (and few fifth)

Hey

Enhancements

Guild Decay

Thanks.
    my biggest thing is communication. Sometimes we dont see anything for a while and we wonder if you guys listen. I would love to see someone reply to us with something then nothing. This makes us feel like you might be listening at least. Even if its tolero or Cordovan responding with information.

Known issue list is my 2nd has people said the list keeps growing while older bugs even minor ones don't get fixed. Im hoping we can see that list get smaller instead of growing with each patch/update. heck the stuck spot in house k at the bottom of the stairs near the inkeep isnt even on there and i submitted a ticket on it lol. i did that a year ago.

I know you guys have a timeline like any other game and updates will always have issues with it no matter what. heck any game ive played has issues all the time. lol not to mention the fact not everyone will always be happy either.

Hey

Enhancements
    Waiting for next preview before coming to any conclusions.

Guild Decay
    Guild Decay does suck. Back when the system was introduced, it made some sense to have itto provide some degree of competition between guilds. Unfortunately, it was quickly revealed that only small incredibly dedicated guilds would ever achieve the highest levels and that larger "casual" guilds had a HUGE disadvantage.

After the adjustments to decay, large guilds gained a lot of momentum and small guilds got the short end of the stick (Comparatively, as we all know, their decay was not really touched at all).

The one constant is that decay is no fun. No one likes losing anything. especially when we are losing renown "Just because".

The system rewards amount of play above quality of play and The amount of renown I pick up in epic content never seems to match what I gather as I level up a TR. This seems broken to me.

Epic quests should provide a LOT more renown.

Renown decay should just be done away with. let us keep out "levels". DDO has never been a PvP (or GvG) focused game. dont force it in that direction with petty penalties. XP loss on death wasnt fun or effective. Neither is Guild decay.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Hey

Enhancements

Guild Decay

Thanks.
    I had mixed feelings about the alpha we had. I liked the way the rogue tree was headed (still needs work though) I'm worried about the Paladin trees (Not much new and it felt like a nerf to my toon see my post in the lamannia forums for more detailed info)

I don't really have an opinion on Guild decay, keep it kill it whatever I 'd just like to see more done with guilds stuff in general.

My current pet peeve is the Sword and Board bug where I keep moving to the left at the end of my attack sequence.

Community Member

Lack of account wide bank/inv/TR cache search because it sucks to spend 30mins looking for an item.
    Lack of bought old armour kits to new glamer ones "conversion" because it sucks to pay twice for the same item.
    Awesomium exe junk because it WILL set my PC on fire one day.
    Decay ? There is small thread here somewhere regarding the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by toaftoaf View Post
    Enhancements ... leave them as is, or at least dont give us that travesty they tried on lama. beacause it KILLED so many builds

Guild Decay......seems ok could be abit less...because. its too much for some not so active guilds

Whatever your pet peeve is.... i dont like AwesomiumProcess.exe because it's a pile of kolbold turd. for my game to work good. (on all 3 of my gaming rigs...i have to put it back in my game dir, start the lame launcher, then move the file out of the dir , sence i started doing that ive logged in the first time EVERYTIME even on my laptop. just as long as you guys know we arent too worried about being able to visit your ddo store

there i vented
    while there were many who didnt like them there were many who loved the changes to enhancements like me. sure builds were killed but i also saw so many new ones emerge. Just like the history of any mmo builds come and go as they change stuff. once popular builds die while new ones even better ones emerge from the rubble. So im always game for change. it keeps the game interesting if they do it right.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Thanks.
    Issues that are highly visible to players that are NEVER fixed.

Examples:
    Druid Spring's Resurgence graphical effect never leaving.
    Barbarian rage negative effects never leaving (I think this is ED related.)
    DNT showing up everywhere.
    Typos everywhere.

Option: Combat has precedence over non combat for targeting. (THIS DOES NOTHING! Never has either for as long as I've tried it every update to see.)

Fixing issues then next patch breaking them again! (There was a new option put in such that the mouse being over a UI would not stop keyboard based attacking (I remapped my "attack" button on my keyboard to be 'R') That is now BROKE AGAIN. It was just put in for fraks sake.))
    Major, I don't know who or how you have your Code Managment setup, but that person would have been releaved of duty by now if he or she worked where I do. (different department at the same company. if you broke the build too often, it was started to be suggested you find a new position.)

I know you guys have to be fixing stuff, but seriously, this highly visable low hanging fruit that your managers just leave out there, Update after update just shows that Turbine doesn't give a damn about quality. You can NOT just work on things that players don't see, you have to work on what players/community sees as well.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Enhancements : just scrap the Alpha we were shown.
    If you really need/want trees make them with the existing enhancements ( there's an example in the Cleric thread ) and complete the PREs so that all the classes have at least 3 PRE.
    don't remove any existing enhancement, don't modify any existing enhancement ( except maybe merging two enhancements in one eventually ).

Guild Decay : *shrug* I'm in a large guild that is mostly active, since changes were done we have been steadily climbing while before we were stagnating somewhere around LVL 72ish.

Pet Peeve of the moment: awesomiumprocess.exe. This CPU and Memory hog has to go, it's the weakest link. Everything worked fine with just the DLL.

Pet Peeve number 2 : Fix the forum logout !!!!!!
    I don't want to have to relog on the forum every 15 minutes, once a day is the most I am willing to cope with.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Hey

Enhancements
    This plus level cap coming is creating for some a sense of "don't bother right now" annoyance.

Burying core-class abilities in PREs is bad. This means a core class tree, or some abilities in multiple trees.

PREs need to thematically be similar to PNP, even if mechanically they are different. Let them be taken by a larger set of folks. If someone multiclasses in, base abilities on character level, not 5 class levels, etc.

Some abilities are crazy strong - EDs already kinda make the base classes irrelevant - in some cases, the new enhancements seem to do the same (big crit ranges, centered axes, etc. making core class abilities essentially 2nd tier). They should enhance a character, provide some flavorful-meaning, but not trump core abilities so much.

Guild Decay
    Guilds aren't new, but we still have new players.

Bear with me - mine isn't a low-level specific, it's more general.

Lots of individual items, but lack of a clearly-communicated vision is hurting participation.

- End game is too small - level cap increase, etc. makes the quests to run to get gear that's relevant a much smaller subset than it used to be.
    - Too much of the core of the game is up in the air in some ways - DC casting for one - is it relevant? Will it be relevant? Will level cap chance, new EDs and ED TRs, new gear, enhancements essentially make it useless?
    - TRing is just not worth nearly as much compared to the work required. This is a result of the things above (to-hit is less important, +3 DC on tactics DCs is less important, etc.) ... meaning there is much less reason to TR.

If TRing is less useful than ever, and you've already put an end date on enhancements and level cap ... you kinda killed the motivation for a chunk of folks. Smaller end-game kills motivation for more.

Be clear. How do you expect folks to *keep* playing the game, and why?
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Pet Peeves
    Wail is bugged. It consistently does not hit 2 mobs per tick. I'm lucky if I get 3 hits total in the 3 ticks instead of the 6 total I should be getting. Some ticks literally nothing happens; no mobs die and no mobs get level drained. Even in level 12 quests on normal with no deathward using my 25 pale master with low-50s dc. (After wailing 3 mobs, 2 are left standing so I one-shot them with a lowly negative energy burst.)

Guild Decay
    This is literally a no-win situation for anybody. Right now, since guild size doesn't impact decay, a ton of smaller guilds got absorbed into monolithic guilds across the server. This has been a net loss for the server, IMO. However, decay itself is a bad (unfun) mechanic. I would do away with decay altogether and then jack up small/medium guild bonus through the roof and greatly extended. So instead of 1-49 members generating a bonus, make it 1-99. And then make that bonus huge; like 10x from 1-9, 9x from 10-19, ..., 1x from 90-99. Or whatever it works out to. in essence, don't penalize large guilds but give incentives for small guilds to exist. (I'm on Argo, if it matters.)

Enhancements
    I feel the alpha system as presented has four critical flaws that inevitably lead to reduced build choices, which I see as a self-evidently bad thing.

1) "Points spent in tree" is a fundamentally restrictive gating mechanism, exponentially more restrictive than on live. Right now, for example, to get human improved recovery III I need to spend 12 points, without spending a single point on prereqs of any kind. On alpha, I need to spend 17 points to get it, 11 of which are arbitrarily thrown away on things I often don't want at all simply to meet the "points spent in tree" prereq. This adds in a ton of waste, and that waste means fewer points to spend on actual build choices. (I consider choosing enhancements I actively want to be a different kind of choice than choosing the least useless enhancements to meet an arbitrary prereq.)

2) The three tree limit appears to be a purely cosmetic limitation that is fundamentally restrictive to multiclassing. On alpha, prestiges are already gated by still requiring 6, 12 and 18 class levels. (20 for capstone.) There is no need to further restrict multiclassing by also only allowing 3 trees to work with. There is no UI reason to limit it to three trees; you already have a scrollbar since only 3 trees fit on a screen and every build gets up to 4 when factoring in the racial tree.

3) Arbitrarily sprinkling core class enhancements into random prestige trees is really what sinks the system. The above two issues don't go away but actually fade to irrelevance if you add a fourth (or third in some cases) class tree that contains the core class enhancements, leaving the prestige trees largely barren. I envision the prestige trees then become only the bottom row (prestiges) with the tier 5s from alpha moved down to tier 2, with tier 1s comprised of some of the new enhancements that truly are tree-specific. Why has favored enemy: damage gone from zero prereqs on live, available to any ranger who wants it, to now a high tier deepwood stalker enhancement with a heavy arrow prereq above and beyond the essentially deal-breaking "points spent in tree" prereq? There are many such issues, but that's the most glaringly obvious example.

4) Spell power lines need to come back. This is a core problem with the alpha system. I get the innovative elegance of the "1 spell power per point spent in tree" solution to the question of "which tree gets the acid line, and which gets the ice line?" Believe me, I get it. But this solution, while insightful, completely missed the core problem the question should have made glaringly obvious: Spell power for wizard should be in a core wizard tree unrelated to prestiges, so that any wizard can take whichever ones they want. Spell power for all classes should be thus.

Why don't kotc paladins get devotion? Whichever tree you put ranger devotion into, why don't the other types of rangers get it? What if a tree has its "screws loosened" by reducing the AP cost of individual enhancements, is only left with (to pick a number) 56 total AP if you take the whole tree, and that tree grants spell power? Would builds now say "take every single enhancement in this tree for the spellpower, and spend the remaining on..."? That would be a massive hit to build diversity for casters.

Just the idea that there is only generic universal spellpower from enhancements is a bad one. Let us choose what power we want. Don't take away our choice. At VERY least, give classes with only one spell power (paladin, ranger) their one spell power line, and don't put it in a specific tree. (Or put it in all of them.)

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Enhancements: Didn't try them, but read a lot about them, and I'm interested in the possibilities for new builds. But the UI is just so huge! D:

Pet Peeve: "You are not facing x"

Mal, thanks so much for taking the time to post lately. Much appreciated.

My biggest concern is the enhancement pass. I'm a long-time, semi-casual player. I've played since launch so I've seen every change/nerf/revamp/overhaul this game has done from the early Evasion in heavy armor change to this. I recently came back to the game after a hiatus and I'm having a blast again.

That said, I'm not sure I can suffer through another major system overhaul that forces me to respec all my characters again. I still have a ton of builds to try and content to play but that will make me lose interest very quickly.

For the enhancement pass, I would like to see:

1. Improve the UI. The Epic tree is pretty. Use that as a template.
    2. Consolidate or remove obsolete enhancements: all the skill mods, wand DC, etc.
    3. Add more prestige classes. Seems to be that players have been asking for more prestige class options, not being forced into specific trees (which the first preview did).

In addition, I'm concerned about the new spellcasting skills. There was talk of changes to the Toughness feat and enhancements because they are considered essential by many players. But putting in skills that affect spellcasting is the same. It will be a skill point tax because no one will build a caster without maxing those skills.

Remove or improve skills that don't get used, don't suddenly make them required and force characters to respec to maintain the same level of ability.

Thanks again for listening!

Community Member

I honestly like the direction enhancements was going but there were certain classes (cleric for example) that were really messed up. There are definitely DPS clerics - casting, melee, and ranged all three - and yet there is no tree available for them. A tree with some toggle options like the left side of the Primal Avatar one would make a lot of sense. Add some boosts in there for casting, melee, and ranged but you have to choose which one you're taking. Have some straight-up improvements to the underlying mechanics (ie crit lines, etc) as well as some thematic offensive stuff (light damage on hits, etc). Pure clerics should have 3 class trees available to them. And offensive tree makes sense both for multi-class builds that want to focus on offense as well as for pure clerics so they can take a third class tree without having to access it through their race.

I don't like removing things from any class either. Especially when it comes to pure toons. For example, if I wanted to play a pure level 20 paladin I'd be losing quite a bit of devotion as compared to live. Don't take away options from pure builds. I can understand if the enhancement pass messes up certain multi-class builds or makes them less worthwhile. But it should not make pure builds less capable of doing what they currently do. Devotion enhancements on melee hybrids is one example where the enhancement pass would reduce what a pure class can do. I'm sure there are others (cleric I mentioned earlier for example) but please - don't take away things from pure classes. They're already very limited based on the fact that there's little reason to stay pure. The enhancement pass...well, a few of the capstones were convincing but not enough so to have me thinking pure when I started considering builds. And that's ok...but it's not ok to make them even less viable by forcing a splash to do something as simple as healing on a paladin or ranger.

Guild renown decay...meh. I understand why it's in there. If Turbine took it out I'd be happy. If they don't I understand.

If I could access my inventory/bank/bags from outside of the game I would be completely floored by I understand that's a huge undertaking. I agree with Veles though...I've got 14 toons, most of them used for bank/storage space, and it can be hard to find what you're looking for. And I don't even have a tenth the stuff as some people I know have.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Oh and a quick driveby after reading the responses of others:

Adding "Search" to the tr cache would be the bee's knees.

Default it took stones

but glad that there is a stone giant working for Turbine. :P

Keep at it MajMal!

Enhancements - I like the interface, and believe that the intentions are good - and so far from the previews on Lamdaland, mostly in the right direction. (Rogue faster skills, farther skills; multi-imbue with Ranger; etc)

Guilds and Guild Renown. Guilds feel like the orphan stepchild - the half-conceived, never implemented never 86'd, hovering perpetually around the drain. For something that affects over half the active players every second they play, and at least half of the remaining players during their gameplay daily - this is something that needs to have more than a snail's priority.

As much as I believe NWO is DDO for dummies (it truly is) (and the engine is almost as old as DDO's) it hit the ground with a fully formed guild system. (Ok DDO has the ship and the buffs, like them; LOTRO has kinships and houses (with optional fast travel to kinship house)) - with web based access to allot of the in game information.

MANY MANY MANY suggestions and just as many well thought out ideas / proposals have been presented in the guild renown decay thread. Several just as easy to implement as the well-intentioned kludge we currently suffer under for decay (solved the large guild decay issues - but keep the same issues for small guilds).

At least get involved with the thread. Guide it. Tell us if removal of decay totally is possible. What are the design concerns? The more you involve us with the design process the more we will accept it and the better it will be.

Take what we have and make it better - remove decay or at least make decay size neutral - and make joining and managing a guild much easier and transparent.

and please - bigger boxes for kobolds to hate! :P jk

(please forgive any typos' - my kobold powered spell-checker is on union break!)

PS - this bloody time-out for web is very unbearably annoying.... timed out in the time it took to type this reply!

Hey

Well me and Kyle, we looked at each other,
    and we each said... "Okay."

And we played the first thing that came to our heads,
    Just so happened to be,
    The Best Song in the World, it was The Best Song in the World.

Enhancements
    I’m looking forward to the next phase of the enhancement beta. But, please, for the love of God! Put the flipping racial PrEs in! Also, differentiate the costs. 2 Aps for *everything* in the Arcane Archer tree is just silly. And lastly, do better with the DCs of these abilities. As it stands right now, Terror and Paralyzing arrows will only be purchased to fulfill a prereq. The DCs should be something like Character level (For race PrE)/Caster Level (For class PrE) + DEX/WIS mod + Enhancement bonus of the weapon.

Guild Decay
    If Lost_Leader posts in this thread about decay, imagine that I wrote the exact same thing.

Ranged combat: It it *really* effing annoying how melee-centric DDO is. Want an epic feat for doing damage with a weapon? Sorry, you need to take Power Attack, Cleave and Great Cleave. Have a nifty debuff on your armor? Too bad, it only works with melee. Hey, let’s add in a nifty “Arrow splitting” effect to our shiny new enhancements and *not* have doublestrike items add to that percentage.

Handwraps: Continue to be all sorts of borked. At this point, I feel like you guys simply do not want to fix the problem. (You’re welcome.)

Druid form combat: Eliminate the damn Natural Fighting feats and integrate their bonuses into Natural Adept. Right now, to make an effective melee/gish druid you need multiple levels of other classes. That is stupid. Adding levels of Monk/Fighter should only be useful for offering additional options.

Lammaland Character Copy: Next time you guys reset this, could you allow me to copy my characters again? When the U18 preview dropped I couldn’t join in since my only character was my bard and you guys broke Warchanter.

Challenges: Are we ever going to see a way that level 25's could join in on the Cannith challenge grind. It's really effing stupid that they are overly penalized when trying to get heroic ingredients.

EDIT: Please add Search to the TR cache! (Thanks for the reminder LSD37)

Thanks.
    You’re welcome.
    Last edited by QuantumFX; 06-10-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast