Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Another pet peeve,

DNT TBD String Table Error

Give an intern a stack of DND Books and have them write some comments that fit in with the lore for the npc's to say. I wouldn't even cost turbine anything to do this because you don't have to pay interns.

Help us help you...

We understand you want, no, need to make money... So when we give suggestions on things we would like to spend money on, listen up!

Spell component pouch.
    Scroll Case.
    Potion Bandoleer or "6 Pack"
    "Returning" Thieves Tools (maybe just anonce per toon purchase, but more than your getting from the unlimited but space consuming plat-bought ones.)
    Custome cosmetics (Glamered "blanks" - there's a "Dear QuartermasterX" thread about it)

QuartermasterX mentioned technical issues with giving us more storage (bank/inventory tabs) so give us (at a price of course) more ways to further maximize our storage.

More pet peeves:
    QA testing.
    "Good enough" needs to be internally redefined. I know, you're on a schedule that isn't always under your control; but seriously... Releasing a brand new and especially a paid for piece of content as broken and/or closed due to a known issue is simply unacceptable. Resturaunts don't send out under cooked food just because it's initially proposed "ticket time" is up. Granted, there's no health risks involved with releasing broken content, but from a quality stand point it's effectively the same thing.

Forethought.
    Y'all need more of it.

Example #1:
    Nightmares. Once a great weapon property, it was made absurdly common then nerfed into near uselessness in the epic environment - and yet it's a property that only (or at least moastly) appears on epic weapons - pointless waste of resources to write the code adding it the random loot list, then adjusting the code in a way that nullified the purpose of making it available.

Example #2:
    Starting a major enhancement preview that asks for feedback via the forums at the same time as starting a major forum change over with a warning that "anything posted after today's date will be lost." Message received: "We're only pretending to care what you think." Maybe it's not the message you meant to send, but you did; along with an unhealthy dose of "our left hand doesn't know what the right is doing, and the brain isn't paying much attention to either of them."

Probably more coming later...
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Community Member

Default Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Help us help you...

We understand you want, no, need to make money... So when we give suggestions on things we would like to spend money on, listen up!

Spell component pouch.
    Scroll Case.
    Potion Bandoleer or "6 Pack"
    "Returning" Thieves Tools (maybe just anonce per toon purchase, but more than your getting from the unlimited but space consuming plat-bought ones.)
    Custome cosmetics (Glamered "blanks" - there's a "Dear QuartermasterX" thread about it)

QuartermasterX mentioned technical issues with giving us more storage (bank/inventory tabs) so give us (at a price of course) more ways to further maximize our storage.

More pet peeves:
    QA testing.
    "Good enough" needs to be internally redefined. I know, you're on a schedule that isn't always under your control; but seriously... Releasing a brand new and especially a paid for piece of content as broken and/or closed due to a known issue is simply unacceptable. Resturaunts don't send out under cooked food just because it's initially proposed "ticket time" is up. Granted, there's no health risks involved with releasing broken content, but from a quality stand point it's effectively the same thing.

Forethought.
    Y'all need more of it.

Example #1:
    Nightmares. Once a great weapon property, it was made absurdly common then nerfed into near uselessness in the epic environment - and yet it's a property that only (or at least moastly) appears on epic weapons - pointless waste of resources to write the code adding it the random loot list, then adjusting the code in a way that nullified the purpose of making it available.

Example #2:
    Starting a major enhancement preview that asks for feedback via the forums at the same time as starting a major forum change over with a warning that "anything posted after today's date will be lost." Message received: "We're only pretending to care what you think." Maybe it's not the message you meant to send, but you did; along with an unhealthy dose of "our left hand doesn't know what the right is doing, and the brain isn't paying much attention to either of them."

Probably more coming later...
    Yeah. I have to say this a pretty well stated post here.

I would like to add, bringing back the 'End of the Week' was amazing. I loved it, as did tons of others.

I would like to see some other Turbine representative (MadF?) take on the challenge of Monday mornings.............. But I hold no real hope that there a single Turbine/DDO dev/employee that has skin as thick as yours MajMal, so therefore I have no hope that any of the others will bother to start/keep/maintain/be active for any length of time if they bothered to care about the player base.

On that note, I truly thank you MajMalPhunktion for everything you do to help us players understand. If it wasn't for you and your blunt tell it like it is methods, I would not have bothered coming back to the game after my deployment.

Truly, thank you Maj Mal, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    Hey

Give me your thoughts on the following. Be verbose, but not 'it sucks' I need 'it sucks because of'
    Thank you for asking.
    Enhancements
    Before Alpha, I looked very much forward to the enhancements,
    due to how much I liked the epic destinies. I had high hopes for
    three prestige classes. I wondered what tier III of radiant servant would be.

The Alpha enhancement on the Xoriat Server, quite frankly scared me.
    I lost some of my trust in you. I hoped for the genius of the Epic Destines.
    What I saw was a watered down clerical mess scattered all over creation.
    So, my cleric is now in Korthos...

Much later looking at the only hope left, Angel of Vengeance, I see:

Vengeful Magic: You gain a +1% Sacred bonus to Spell Critical chance when below 50% health, and a +50% Sacred bonus to Spell Critical Damage Multiplier with Fire, Force, Light, and Physical damage spells when below 25% health.
    AP Cost: 2 Progression: 30 Requires: Favored Soul level 18

This is silly, remove it.
    A Favored Soul's first responsibility is not to die.

Rewrite like this:

Vengeful Magic: Passive: You gain +2 to the Spellcraft skill. Active: You are able to cast the spell Nimbus of Light at will without using spell points.
    AP Cost: 2 Progression: 30 Requires: Favored Soul level 18

I wait to see what Beta and Gama will be....
    Guild Decay
    What is renown?

Definition of RENOWN
    1: a state of being widely acclaimed and highly honored : fame

Fate is fleeting thru out time
    Often running without rhyme
    But should it disappear within a day
    Or can Bards preserve it their own way?

Traditional Pen and Paper D&D does not involve serious renown decay.
    Please conform to your roots.

How old is that fellow in the battered wizards hat we meet at the beginning
    of into the Rift?

If renown decay is truly normal in D&D, then why would anyone resurrect someone
    centuries old?
    Whatever your pet peeve is.
    Every time I plan a character, my feat pattern get delayed three levels
    more than a typical player because the Completionist Feat is not auto
    granted. Its a blessing and a curse at the same time. I worked too hard
    to earn it, but it messes everything up even though its awesome.

Do you intend to make the new epic completionist path the same way?
    Will we have to spend two feat slots to get both completionist feats?
    Surely you realize what an uproar that will cause?

Bards need more love.
    I played every class and race in the game fully,
    and I rank Bards at the bottom of the heap.
    You have notes and notes and notes on that subject.
    Add some new spells such as ~ Sonic Dot, Wall of Sound, Phantasmal Killer, Resist Energy,
    Legendary Shout, Mass Hold Monster

Make people excited to play toons that can cast mass cures.
    No healers, no groupings, no groupings, no raiding/questing...
    For want of a nail a shoe was lost, for want of a shoe a horse was lost,
    for want of horse a battle was lost, for want of a battle a kingdom was lost.
    I believe you are currently working on this.
    Be bold.

Thanks.
    You are welcome, thank you that DDO is an awesome game.
    After 40 lives, Fawngate still finds new things to do.
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 06-11-2013 at 04:44 AM.

back to forums for a sec. Fix rep. what's the point of my giving that last post a +1 when my rep power is ZERO? Yeah yeah, most forumites look on rep with disdain, but I for one like to see a greenie now and again, when I dish them out I'd like to know they're making a difference to someone's day.

Community Member

Default wall o text

Heya! Warning: verbose feedback incoming! Note some of these concerns may change once we see the next enh pass.

------------------
    Enhancements
    ------------------

The main problem with enhancements on live is the UI, that's the big thing that needs to be updated. I submitted detailed feedback for each class during the alpha preview so I'll just summarize general thoughts on the alpha pass. There are multiple problems:

• General enhancements are constrained to prestige lines – this kills so many options and ties our hands when trying to choose what abilities we want.
    • AP cost is 'per tree' - this makes everything feel much more limiting than on live and forces us to waste AP on things we will never use, even more so than we do already.
    • Many 'arrow' requirements put in seemingly arbitrarily even where they don't exist on live – many of these are just puzzling and remove so much customization. Remove 'arrow' requirements that don't make sense.
    • Abilities spread out over multiple icons where they could easily be collapsed down into 1 icon with multiple ranks – this takes up way too much space and seems to be purely for aesthetics. Well I'd much rather you actually fit all the abilities in rather than drop half of them just to make the existing ones fit into a pretty lvl grid.
    • Three tree limit kills so many options– removes many that are available on live even if accessing multiple 'prestiges' opens up other options. Why limit it though? If you must have general enhancements stuck in prestige lines there should be no limit to the amount of trees we have access to.
    • Autogrants tied to prestige lines kills a huge amount of customization – this one might irk me the most. I hate autogrants, they remove options and force us into pre-generated templates where we must put all our points into a prestige line just to get access to abilities that should be available for anyone of that class. Everything you have as autogrants during the alpha pass should be separate optional abilities for anyone of that class unless it is an integral part of the prestige. General class enhancements that are requirements for prestige classes don't count as part of the prestige line.
    • Overall power distribution – the alpha pass favored very low class lvl investment for very high return in a prestige tree. I like the idea of disentangling prestige classes from base classes but it went a bit too far. Ideally a characters power lvl should be a combination of base class, feats, skills, & prestige class choice. I think these should each be weighted fairly equally. I also think ED's are too powerful and need to be toned down as they overshadow all other choices you make.

My suggestion to fix some of these are similar to some other folks:

General enhancements should be in their own class tree. Prestige classes should be an option but not a requirement. Maybe I just want to be a generalist wizard? That's a classic archetype by itself and we should be able to focus on just general abilities if we wish. This one change would fix many of the problems you introduced and make things easier to expand on in the future:

• It makes balancing the actual prestige trees easier since you don't have to worry about where you're going to cram general abilities
    • It would mean you can introduce the new enhancements earlier. Why? Without a general class tree you have to cram everything into prestige trees where they may not fit, which breaks down when some classes don't have enough prestige trees available yet. You could theoretically even release a class with only 1 prestige tree and 1 class tree and have it be fairly balanced. This will let you release the rest of the prestige lines later after more testing etc. Without a general class tree you really have to have 3 fully fleshed out prestige lines for every class right from the start to have enough space to cram everything.
    • With a general class tree fully balanced and an easier to use UI you could add optional requirements to unlock prestige trees not tied purely to class. These could mirror pnp requirements more closely using feat/skill/etc requirements to access prestige lines opening up new build options.
    • Easier organization – I personally think it would be less confusing to have the UI show only 1 racial tree & 1 general class tree when new players start at lvl 1. Then prestige trees can be unlocked from the general tree under a prestige unlock option (for example). These could show up just to the right and extend outward when new trees are available or have its own dropdown box to switch between them. This method needs only 3 visible trees (race/class/pres), is less clutter early on, yet can expand with the character as new options open up.
    • This is basically how it works right now! Currently you can just take general enhancements and skip prestige abilities if you want. Seems odd to limit us more than we are already.

I think this would be a win all around – it would be an easier learning curve for new folks who see only 2 trees to start with and can expand to more when they are comfortable. It has the potential to be even more flexible and customizable than we have currently. Under this scenario I would allow access to all a characters available class trees (via dropdown menu) and limit prestige trees to 3 max from any whose requirements you meet, either via dropdown or expanding the UI. I think this setup would be ideal.

If this happens then prestige lines will be much more focused on actual prestige related abilities and only then does 'AP spent in tree' make some sense but only in prestige lines. General class abilities & racial abilities should never have 'AP spent in tree' requirements. I would consider class capstones to be general class abilities as well just as they are on live.

Additional suggestions: If you are going to retain the prestige core tier layout consider adding 2 new tiers at lvls 9 & 15 to smooth out the power gain. This would displace the capstone but those should not be tied to prestige lines anyway. Capstones should require 78 ap spent anywhere & 20 class lvls, that's it. Then you can add as many capstones as you like to cater to different playstyles but we will still be limited to just one.

-------------
    Guild Decay
    -------------

I have not noticed the problems with decay others seem to. I am in a small casual guild who reached lvl 60~70 without much problem. If fluctuates around there but I think that’s fine and just where we should be. I really don't understand the position that everyone should have access to everything in the game – that's just unrealistic and not fun. If I wanted a higher guild lvl I would join a different guild. If you're playing with friends and having fun, why do you care what lvl your guild is? If anything I would remove all guild ship amenities that affect gameplay since I hate power creep and it's just another way the game has become too easy.

The only real problem I see is not guild decay but gaining renown. You seem to gain much more renown going through low lvl content than you do at high lvls.. this seems way off. I should get more renown dispatching fabled enemies at higher lvls I would think. The current system heavily favor's TR's zerging through lives for quick renown gain.

-------------
    Pet Peeves
    -------------

Bugs and lag – the most universally annoying thing about this game is the lag. It's worse than any other game and every time you say a lag related issue was fixed it just crops up again elsewhere. When people complain about lag you say it's not 'lag' but something else.. well whatever it is the results are the same.. entire zones freezing up for seconds to minutes at a time, hanging/crashing when zoning, rubber banding, falling through walls/floors, etc. Is this a hardware issue? Software? It's most noticeable during U.S. prime time and major events like CC when the doors open – surely you can track down some issues from that.

Overall lack of difficulty – the trend has been pushing more towards casual and easy gameplay ever since it went f2p but it has gotten even worse since u14. I seriously think someone made a math error when they did a batch update to all the quests adding in the new epic difficulties, many of which are easier than their heroic counterparts! This is directly related to:

Power Creep – Players have gotten progressively more powerful over the years with stronger gear and abilities while enemies have gotten weaker with nerfed spell & ability durations. This is not just old players but new ones as well are much more powerful at low lvls. No effort has been made to adjust the difficulties to account for this which just contributes to the problem. These are both related to:

Loss of players – I can't speak for everyone but anecdotally I've noticed many long time players just stopped playing since u14. Players who would log on multiple times a week for raids before but after everything became trivially easy (or completely broken) they all got bored and stopped playing. I hardly play anymore myself but I keep hoping things will turn around. Extremely challenging content with enticing rewards keeps skilled players here longer. Those are often the ones that spend the most money.

Difficulty should matter more – Some people are asking for the same loot on all difficulties, I disagree completely. I think it should go much further the other direction,there should be more difference between loot on different difficulties and no way to upgrade between them. If you want better loot you should run things on harder difficulties. Otherwise you just encourage lazy and unskilled play further driving away all the good players.

Enemy AI and abilities – Enemies have too few abilities at their disposal and don't use them wisely. I don't like the term 'trash mob' .. every npc should ideally be equal in power and abilities to an equivalent lvl pc. Most intelligent npcs above lvl 20 should have ED's as well.

Hack & Slash design – There are a few places where you can use skills in an encounter or solve a difficult puzzle or riddle but they are usually relegated to minor optionals and rarely the focus of an adventure. More skills/abilities/strategies should be viable in more quests. I wish there were more varied quest design in general and especially in raids. The Abbot is still my favorite raid and I wish there were more with puzzle & skill based components. If I designed a raid success would be based much more on player skill than gear and dps.

XP gain mechanics – Many issues here,starting with the dearth of lvl 18~20 xp. This carries over into epic lvls where you have to plan out everything to avoid repeat penalties once you hit cap if you don't want to farm 1 quest till your eyes bleed. XP repeat penalties should expire like ransack,especially with the new lvl cap. The current bravery bonus system also discourages grouping for many people since they only want to run things within that 1~2 lvl range.

Many useless skills/feats/abilities – As a result of how the game has evolved over the years many things have become redundant or just useless. The alpha enh pass makes this problem even worse with many feats being rendered completely obsolete by new enhancements. I think this is a terrible idea and would favor base class/skills/feats being the main sources for a characters power with prestige classes & epic destinies building upon those rather than replacing them. I like the idea of more skills being useful and disagree with others who don't want spellcraft etc to add spellpower or anything similar. Id rather they mirrored their core counterparts but I understand the need for such a change.

Missing core content – This means all missing spells, class abilities (cleric domains/familiars), races (Gnome!), etc from the core rulebook.

Plans for the future – You guys are very quiet about future plans which is understandable but I think feedback gained earlier is more useful to everyone. The enhancement pass survey from a year ago resulted in pretty much everyone agreeing that general enhancements should be separate from prestige abilities.. yet that's not what we saw in the alpha. That makes me wonder how much our feedback actually matters. We'll see when the next pass comes around.

---------------------
    Other Suggestions
    ---------------------

Hardcore or Permadeath style mode – I understand the game has been watered down so anyone can play but some of us still want to experience pure dnd or as close as we can get on an mmo. I would love a new mode that tried to recapture that fun. It could be an option during character creation, be a permanent feat/buff and maybe a visual icon denoting a 'hardcore' mode character. The feat/buff would contain the various changes so you never have to make sweeping alterations to any classes, just modify the buff. I would suggest these changes for any such characters:

• All spells/abilities would be restored to their original durations for players and for anything cast upon the player (permanent blind etc). An easier implementation would be something like 'any debuff cast upon you has x10 duration' or something similar.
    • No scaling whatsoever, every quest you enter should be scaled up assuming you have a full party.
    • Can only enter quests on 'Elite' difficulty
    • Xp loss on death – I would also add a counter to keep track of how many deaths the character has
    • Permanent lvl drain
    • Can't group with non 'hardcore' mode players as it would be too easy to abuse
    • Can't use guild buffs
    • Can't ever re-enter an active quest
    • Must start at lvl 1 and cannot benefit from xp pots/stones/tomes/anything else that grants xp outside of questing

Optionally you could go even further and for those with the 'hardcore' buff:

• Cannot access any enhancements
    • Cannot access any epic destinies

Establish a long term max lvl cap and take your time getting there - by the time a character is lvl 30 they should basically either ascend to godhood or retire to Elminster style npc. Maybe hold off on hitting lvl 30 for 2~3 years at least and once there keep that cap set in stone.

User Generated Content - A foundry type system could be an amazing addition and breath life back into the game if you do it correctly. It would need to be extremely versatile though and allow us to create not just quests but city areas, explorer zones and a way to link them together so we can create full campaigns. If we could not recreate any current zone then it's not powerful enough.

I personally would pay for access to a foundry and hardcore mode just to play classic dnd with friends. I bet there are more out there like me but who knows if it's enough to make it financially viable.

Hopefully this helped somewhat! I've got many more suggestions but this is getting a bit long.

Community Member Thumbed_Servant's Avatar

Default As per MajMalphunction's request..

Enhancments: Haven't looked at the new system. I...*ducks low* like the old system...never have had an issue with it.

Guild Decay: I play to have fun, and let my guild (past and present) level as we play. We might not level fast, but we do level; getting to 100 is just not a goal of ours. If we make 65 where we get all of the +2 shrines and all of the 30 point resist shrines, we'll be totally happy So....I just really don't think guild renown decay is an issue.

Pet Peeves:
    1) Red Latency followed by game crash 90 percent of the time when I first load the game after booting up my computer. Fix this please?
    2) POORLY tested game updates and patches. Yes, there will always be bugs, but massive game halting bugs such as the one in patch 18.1...yeah, that so should not have happened. I can live with the dialog box staying open when I talk to the ship captain and leave the ship and then having to choose the option to close it, but not being able to load in the game: unacceptable. TEST the patches and updates before you load them by using an inhouse server and testers loading the newly patched game on various computer types.
    3) New players get next to no explanation of the chat program. A friendly npc just outside the exit of The Grotto with text options to explain /p, /g, /tell, /general, and the basics of the grouping system would be great. New players could come back and reread as needed until they got it, instead of playing a MASS multi online game seeming all alone because they cannot interact with the community.

Cheers, I love playing DDO
    Thumbed_Servant (to 3 cats ) I LOVE playing a healer (nannybot to the derisive folks)
    Leader: Order of Sunlit Rose on Argonnessen server
    Current active toons: Hildegarde 22 clr/ Pixsie 20 rog/ Muhther25 clr/ Sheolah 2-14 multi(rog/wiz)/ Heidie 2-7multi(rgr/clr)/ Grindhaus 23 ftr/ Slashira 20 ftr/ Commandur 11 clr

Enhancements -
    1) I like the UI implementation in trees
    2) The limit of 3 class trees is way too restrictive and will greatly nerf multiclassing and may cause a mass exodus from DDO to other MMOs.
    3) Additionally, the limit of only the one useful class tree for Clerics pigeon-holing anyone with more than a few Cleric levels into the very "un-fun" to play (for most) healbot is also a huge suckfest and will at least cause many now playing cleric to park those toons indefinitely
    4) I like the PM enhancement tree, but conversely the AM tree seems very weak and only allows for focus in one elemental or spell type
    5) If we are going to have a minimum of two PREs per class they should both be viable and effective PREs, many are very underpowered and appear unfinished (see #3 above)

Guild Decay - Lose it or reduce dramatically especially for smaller guilds where this prevents them from gaining levels

Oh and has been mentioned previously... PLEASE add a search option to the TR cache
    All Haiku courtesy of Kayerith: RAID HAIKU!!: Velah isn't scared//we are killing the zombies//Dahliya is mean? <> Running for the hound!//making babbies fight mommy!//Michael Vick Approved <> Do you trust the shroud?//We must fight Harry two times//bring D-R Breakers <> Race haiku!!: Rusties eat war-forged//I laugh at their suffering//the screams are funny <> War-forged have no souls//batteries not included//save your receipt please <> Toaster surfing haiku!!: Jumping in the air//warforged crowding below me//I cannot get down!!! <> Confusion claims me!//which gender has facial hair?//male or female dwarves? <> It cannot be true! // a dwarf with no beard appears!//ABOMINATION!!
    http://orderoftheemeraldclaw.guildlaunch.com/

Enhancements
    I will the new trees, yes you need to pick some stuff maybe you dont want.. but overall i see more usefull things there that in the old system. Only thing i should improve will be that not all trees support part of the class. For exemple, from the 2 trees of druid, non helps a noncaster elemental (as nature warrior always ask for wolf or bear)

Guild Decay
    Peeps just create single guilds and farm the rep.. the decay dont promote be guilded. Im ok with some decay, but if a guild of 20 peeps its active (and by active i mean the casual standars) i should have a new gain instead of be stuck.
    ->Can we get pls some cosmetics for druid and arti pets please? There are pleny of other posible pets.
    ->Finish the rest of the PrE's ASAP please.

2014 DDO Players Council

Enhancements
    The current enhancement system is:
    1) difficult to use for people not already familiar with it, and,
    2) INCOMPLETE...many of the PrEs are not done, or even started

Item 1) doesn't bother ME any more, and is purely a presentation issue anyway. You just need to fix 2) (i.e., finish all the rest of the PrEs) and I'll be a much happier camper. (Of course there'd be no problem with tweaking the visuals a bit to make it easier for new players to find what they need.)

So far as I'm concerned, there was never any need to throw away the enhancement system and build a new one from scratch.

I've already voiced my issues, both general and specific, with the alpha stuff.

Guild Decay
    I see some people who want to get rid of guild decay. They view it as XP, and note that their character level doesn't decay.

But my understanding of guild renown since the beginning is that it's sort of a competition, a point of pride.

Turbine needs to be clear, both with themselves, and the players, on the purpose of guild levels at all. What do do about guild renown/decay/levels will follow from that.

If they are just non-competitive, non-decaying guild XP, please stop bothering to display them above everyone's head.

If you want people to have to actively strive to be one of the few current top guilds instead of the many mid-level guilds, then you need decay. And TBH, you need more than we're currently getting since the "temporary change" to remove guild size from the formula.

What exactly should constitute a top guild? Average activity or total activity? You can't reward average activity without including guild size. The current formula greatly favors guilds with massive numbers. The previous formula slightly favored small guilds (11 accounts) while being least favorable to medium guilds (50 accounts). I can live with it either way, but would like, again, for Turbine to be clear on their goals, both internally and to the players.

Oh, one more thing: harder difficulties should reward MUCH more renown than easier ones, not just slightly. For example, an EE FoT maybe should have a Trophy or Legendary in every chest for every person or something. Regardless of the guild-size issue, doing really hard things should be a no-brainer for racking up lots of renown.

2014 DDO Players Council

Please have someone compare the values of monster saves between the level 22-23 quests on EE (e.g., Druid chain, VoN, Red Fens, etc.) versus the level 24 Gianthold quests on EE.

For only a 1 or 2 quest level difference, the difference in monster saves seems way too massive.

Hey

Give me your thoughts on the following. Be verbose, but not 'it sucks' I need 'it sucks because of'

Enhancements

Guild Decay

Thanks.
    Well, you asked.

Enhancements:
    I dislike the new system because of its basic premise of splitting the enhancements into separate trees and gating advancement by AP spent in that tree. The current system--where all enhancements are in a single pool and the only gating is total points spent--encourages a much looser, freeform approach to builds. That freeform approach is one of the very few things DDO has that most other MMOs don't, and it's one of the things I very much love about the game. The new system might have some flexibility in it, but at its core you're dividing the enhancements up into how you think players will want to build their toons, and making it difficult for us to go outside those lines. That's my first problem with the new enhancement system.

Second, many of these trees are not as mutually exclusive as you'd like to think: I was building a pale master trapper on Lamma awhile back and was stupefied to discover that the improved heightening enhancement was all the way at the top of the Archmage tree. Here's a question: which wizard prestige class uses DC-based spells, Pale Master or Archmage? Select only one, you will be penalized points for selecting more than one answer, you will also be penalized for failing to select all correct answers. It forces us into a weird position of having to dive deeply into other trees to get things our build needs.

Third, having so many small trees instead of one large pool increases the odds that we'll have to spend filler points on things we don't want just so we can get higher-tier abilities we do want. Take half-elf racial tree for example; I looked at that and figured that unless I'm playing a dragonmarked character or a very skill-based character, I cannot find five points I would spend on the first tier for any other build.

Now, points two and three can mitigated by tweaking the trees themselves. Add in extra enhancements, lower the tiers of abilities that multiple builds will need so that we can get them with less diving, buff up unattractive trees, etc. etc. But the first point remains. Depending on how much tweaking you do to make trees attractive and accessible, in the end you'll either have given us too narrow limits on how we can build our toons, or you'll have lowered point costs and tier-gating so much that there's no point to even having the trees in the first place other than limiting how many prestige classes the multi-class build can invest in.

And, to be blunt, prestige classes worked better in the old enhancement system too.

Please, please, just scrap the entire enhancement update and give us an updated UI for the current one. That's all I wanted. I know this won't happen, because by the time this much planning and work and development has been done, the overall framework is set in stone and going forward no matter what, that's just how development works, and the only thing that will get changed is little tweaks like moving this or that ability around. But I can still dream. And beg. Don't forget the begging.

Guild Decay

I don't like it and it needs to go away. I never cared about the notion of renown as a measure of how active a guild is. That's the usual explanation given on the forum as for why decay exists, and I just don't care. If I want to find an active guild, I just need to look around in chat and LFGs and see what guild names are floating above toons' heads. Because, you know, active guilds are going to have an active presence. The only thing renown gives me that I care about is the airship and its buffs and amenities.

And you know what? I don't like losing things I've earned. And I really, really don't like a game that punishes me for *not* playing. If I want to take a break, I damn well better able to take a break and find things the same when I get back. I have quit MMOs in the past because the "upkeep" aspect was too burdensome. Anytime I find myself logging in just to meet my daily quotas of whatever, that game is gone and is no longer a part of my life, full stop, no questions asked, no second chances given. That's how I stopped playing WoW. I realized I was just logging in every day to finish my dailies, and so I simply stopped playing. That is not a game; that is a job that doesn't pay you.

Keeping ahead of the upkeep is such a Skinner box, in fact, that I've decided I'm just not going to get involved in it. I have a small guild with just myself and my brother. He plays occasionally. I play more regularly. When our guild level plateaus out from renown, then it's going to plateau, and I'm not going to work harder or play more often. When I take a break, then that level is just going to drop, because I play this game to play, not to stress.

However. If renown decay goes away, then I am going to spend a load of TP on guild renown boosters and get all the +2 stat and +30 energy resist buffs as fast as I can, because I want those. I have never spent TP on renown boosters before and will not until decay is gone.

Pet Peeves

Wail is still bugged. I can walk into the quest where you get dogs out of the kobold's sewer, gather up all the dogs, hit wail, and not get my six deaths-and/or-level drains. We have heard several times that it was supposedly fixed on the developer version; it even seemed to be fixed on Lammania once, at least from my testing. Unless there are multiple different issues with Wail hitting in succession over the course of several updates and patches, though, then none of those fixes have made it to live. This is a bread-and-butter spell here. It shouldn't be broken for months at a time.

I wouldn't mind some changes to the xp costs of TRing. The last few levels on 3rd+ lives are incredibly tedious. Cutting that down a little would nice. Alternatively, change the formula so the xp requirement increase is the same, but just a little more front-loaded, instead of suddenly exploding at the end. I already zoom through the earlier levels quickly; I'd be willing to grind more on levels 1-14 if it meant 15-20 went a little quicker.
    Furthermore, I believe that the bugs and lag must be fixed.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

Hey

Enhancements

Guild Decay

Thanks.
    Enhancements - really don't like divine offensive casters and sorc power and crit nerfs - well as I perceive them. I am somewhat distressed that I have to now split points across 3 or more trees in order to have things I want in certain cases such that I am worried about additional Pres coming in where I have a multiclass split and that could potentially be up to 9 trees to choose from. I am a little tentative about some things as they seem so minor and 'meh' but then maybe we'll work out later that they're awesome so I'm just kind of waiting to see really. I am very happy that at least the GUI and presentation of them is being worked on as that's kind of messy as we have now.

Guild Decay - it just seems unfair. You work hard on it, then life happens and people move in and out and you need to put some game time off and it all just dribbles away - all this hard work. Just get rid of it. Everyone is going to be 100 eventually anyway - just let them get there. Move to a trophy style thing where it doesn't matter. Not a practical thing where it does (resist shrines, moving around, +2 shrines).

My pet peeve would have to be the way certain things work against grouping and being friendly - the biggest things I see to work against this are guild decay and, sadly, the bravery bonus. As much as I love the bravery bonus it's really divisive of the community in some ways. I wish there were more lfms of the friendly "hey this is normal but that's ok because you can still get xp". I wish there was some way that people could put their bravery bonus 'on hold' so to speak so that they could still be friendly and just join stuff instead of "oh I can'd do that as it would break my streak". Maybe a 5 a life "on hold" pass thing or something? We're so spread out now across 25 levels instead of 20 that lfming is challenging anyway. Anything we can do to make DDO more inclusive and friendly we should do - even those things that make it nicer for soloists - it's possible to be friendly and nice to people with the minimum of people interaction :P
    ~Thelanis ~ Khyber ~

Community Member

Hey

Enhancements

Guild Decay

Thanks.
    I like the enhancement system. Clarity with the form like the ED tree is a good change, but hopefully it won't lead to having to respec enhancements to a very different set of abilities or build.
    Guild Decay is cool, it is necssary for what balance is trying to be achieved. I like the last change to it as I lead a 6 max member guild at lvl38 currently and the flat rate decay works well (I suspect this will be a problem in the lvl40-50 rage though), but I believe it should be proportional to guild size, not guild level, as it was originally. If guild leaders were making adjustments to member numbers to rectify decay then I believe it was correctly being done to the effect of people not playing or contributing, this is correct. Too many winjers unfortunately.
    Pet Peeve is 2 things:
    1. Too many winjers that clutter the feedback and discussion forums on real subjects, which distracts and makes real analysis of feedback and suggestions difficult. Can't offer a solution sorry.
    2. A lack of sort of basic knowledge of dev ability or limitations so feedback can be more appropriate when given by intelligent/mature players.

Community Member

I would like to see decay eliminated.

Before the change last fall almost everyone disliked decay. Now it's mainly just an issue for smaller guilds. If it's ok for a guild of 200 to get to level 100 and stay there why aren't you letting most small guilds get there?

I purchased the expansion pack last year and tested on Lam and it only caused our guild level to drop. If I play PVP our guild level drops. If I spend time chatting instead of grinding, our guild level drops.

Some of us just want to run at our own pace and not grind. Aren't guilds supposed to be social? If so why do I have to get penalized for being social?

As people get frustrated with decay and quit the game or move to a large guild it just reduces the LFMs available for people to join. This is very noticeable since Turbine started discouraging people from being in small guilds last fall.

Community Member

Hey

Enhancements

Guild Decay

Thanks.
    Well my problem with guild decay is that in a small guild it's first off your progress is pretty much halted at some point and if people in your guild don't play for a while you actually lose progress.
    Going up the ranks slow is ok but losing progerss because you don't play a while is not.
    If you really want to keep guild decay then i'd say put it in the really hight ranks like 75+ instead of 25+.

Community Member

Enhancement pass: not a huge fan of the tree system as seen on lammania. Seems too restrictive, both in the 3 tree limit, and the sometimes large amount of ap wasted to reach higher tiers or spent in pre-requisites.

Other pet peeves:

The xp repeat penalty, especially the way running a quest on heroic affects epic xp. You shouldn't be punished for running content at level. In fact, if there's a quest I like with a heroic and epic version, I will *avoid* running it at level, so I can run it as much as I like once I cap. If the xp penalty decayed over time, say, a week or 2, you could limit heavy xp farming (both at level and once at xp cap), without people feeling like they have to save a quest for epic xp.

Related: the bug that if you haven't run a quest before you cap your epic xp, the game will always think you've never run it. Which means you get first time xp bonus every time... and will break streaks if you run on normal, even after running hard/elite)

Temporary buffs that give you an odd bonus to a stat. They just bug me. I get as many stats even as I can, then I switch to a tier 3 monk stance, or someone hits me with primal scream, or sings me into a masked ball, and they're odd. I know you said to give a reason, and I know I shouldn't look a gift buff in the mouth, but it still bugs me .

My electronic devices rebelling. Nothing to do with the fine folks at turbine but you asked for pet peeves, and they are sorely peeving me.

Pet Peeves

Mob circling behavior. Give them all boots with weighted soles, super-duper mega-traction bottoms, fly paper, gorilla glue, whatever. Just please...make them stop circling around endlessly.

Another pet peeve is the old 'Monster runs directly through you to where you just were 1 second ago, forcing you to turn around to attack it, while it has already cast a spell or hit you for damage' trick. This one seems to have amplified greatly since U18. People are eventually going to start running quests backwards just to deal with this.

Do you want people to join the Xoriat Server and play test content?

Then why do you penalize such actions with Renown Decay?

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    I don't agree that there should be a melee cleric tree. There are 0 enhancements on live now which support melee for a cleric.
    Divine Might is a signature melee cleric enhancement. (And it does not exist in the alpha cleric trees, much like how spell pen enhancements were removed for caster clerics.)

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast