The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Default My Personal Opinion on Neverwinter Online

Hey guys been playing Neverwinter for a bit mostly because my brother wanted to try it out and so far...it's ok....it's not terrible but I doubt it will "kill" DDO anyways here's my Pros, Cons when compared to DDO (and some comparisons to LOTRO)

Pros

- The MAX graphics setting is definitely a little better than DDO
    - The visual customization during character creation is better than DDO
    - The Foundry, it's pretty awesome and so far the sorting system does a good job of filtering out the drivel. Even if I decide I loathe NWO I'll probably still spend time quest crafting in here.
    - Their version of hirelings are permanent and Level with the character...up to a point (see cons)

Cons

- The Lowest setting of graphics is practically unplayable it looks like I took my glasses off...shapes,etc. are barely recognizable. It's not great in DDO but at least it actually functions

- The game is half-instanced, half open world so whilst which is better is entirely subjective (I vastly prefer instanced FYI) going both ways just ends up annoying everyone.

- Each class seems to have 2 or 3 armor models with about a dozen small differences within each of those so even with the greater visual customization during creation the city seems like a sea of clones....cosmetic items become essentially a requirement instead of an option.

- Currency systems is incredibly complicated there's Normal coin (gold,silver, bronze), astral diamonds (a semi-normal currency unlike DDO), Zen (turbine points), Various Seals, Trade Bars, etc.,etc. its really annoying and very much designed to force you to purchase Zen

- Speaking of Zen the cash shop is blatantly Pay-to-Win you can all kinds of stuff that give you a huge edge such as wickedly overpowered "companions" (essentially hirelings that level with you and never expire), super rare crafting ingredients that you'll probably never see drop or can ONLY be purchased in the cash shop, max level removers for your companions

- Annoying ass chest drops that can only be opened with Cash Shop only keys

- The crafting system is incredibly boring you don't get anything cool and you really don't have a choice...you WILL choose your classes relevant craft (ie. Wizard = Tailor) and Leadership (free xp and random chests) it will supply you with level appropriate green quality (white for the first few levels) equipment and well thats it nothing cool like save WoWs engineer profession. Also crafting is very hands-off you choose what you want to craft and half an hour later its done. Not that DDOs crafting system is super awesome or anything it's just better than NWOs

- Despite the Illusion of it there's really almost no choice in leveling and even the "feats" are not even real their just +1% to X...you will eventually notice the difference but it is a shadow of the options granted by feats alone in DDO

- Speaking of "choice" no multi-classing of any sort, now its based off of 4th edition so it doesn't have a-la-carte multi-classing but there is a hybriding system which allows you to get abilities from both classes at the cost of some abilities from both sides. Also since theres no real feats you can't take the multi-class feats either.

- The only thing Neverwinter takes for 4e or even DnD as a whole is the lore...there's no d20 system, the spells aren't dnd spells, the classes are not even classes but "Builds" (ie. instead of Wizard, Rogue, Cleric, Fighter they have Control Wizard, Blaster Wizard, Trickster Rogue, Guardian Fighter, Great Weapon Fighter,etc.) even clerics walk around in robes instead of chainmail or full plate. Despite appearances this really isn't a DnD game.

- Almost EVERYTHING in the game is designed to funnel you to the Zen store.

In short the question isn't will I leave DDO for NWO the question is will I play NWO when the DDO servers are down or will I keep looking. So yeah Turbine as long as you keep multi-classing/other customization options in mind as a strong Pro for DDO NWO will never even come close to touching your bottom line
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 06-10-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

The Neverwinter franchise of D&D games are crud, however the Foundry is an ominous threat. In time, talented roleplayers that *do* know what they are doing will produce enough high quality content to correct the game's deficiencies. Given the fact that Foundry content will be provided via users for free (with no development costs), DDO should seriously look at jumping on the bandwagon; user content is going to have a big impact in the future.

DOOM !! DOOM DOOM DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM !!

Sowwy

Quote Originally Posted by Aolas View Post
    The Neverwinter franchise D&D games are crud
    Sorry I couldn't let this slip past. Please don't say "Franchise" NWO is one game made by perfect world who made a ****** MMO with the worst DnD setting and a wicked foundry system...the Neverwinter Series is too old PC games known as Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 which were amazing games and IIRC are still actively running. Good luck finding a legitimate copy though

however the Foundry is an ominous threat.
    I wouldn't call it a "threat" as any serious content creator will quickly realize that NWO is not where they want to step their time.

Sowwy
    On the Doom front DDOs biggest issue is its Quality of Life and Production values are very underwhelming...new players are hard too introduce and keep playing the game because everything feels unfinished and alot of system are FAR more limited than most MMOs (ie. Character Creation Visual Customization and the Crafting system which for all intensive purposes is a Watered-down version of WowS enchantment craft skill...now I loathe WoW but one thing they have right is their Crafting system.)

It's major strengths are:

Versatility: is the possible character combinations number in the millions....sure probably about 90% of those won't be able to complete the tutorial mission but that still leaves half-a million or so.

A none boring DnD setting (mostly): In response to NW roaring failure Turbine decided to follow them to the Generic Realms instead of the far more interesting Eberron but it's still DND and thats a big draw for alot of people (namely the actual use of the D20 system albeit modified for active combat instead of turn-based)

Yeah thats about it DnD and the free form multi-class sytem if another game can pull that off right with higher quality overall than DDO will see some issues. Right now the dead Forum/Gam is because everyone is either on Lama or waiting for Lama to open up...after that people have benched alot of character waiting for the E-Pass so they can freely TR into something.
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 08-01-2013 at 02:28 AM.
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Sorry I couldn't let this slip past. Please don't say "Franchise" NWO is one game made by perfect world who made a ****** MMO with the worst DnD setting and a wicked foundry system...the Neverwinter Series is too old PC games known as Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 which were amazing games and IIRC are still actively running. Good luck finding a legitimate copy though
    Bought another legit copy, (long story) back in jan from meijer, the local hmm grocery / everything store.

Community Member

Well by franchise I actually meant Neverwinter Nights. NwN was probably the polar opposite of DDO, far too easy and understimulating. It was hard to fathom what they were doing after the awesomeness of Baldur's Gate II and Planescape: Torment. Even so I bought NwN three times, the expansions made it a little better.

NwN 2 had fantastic class options. Installing the expansion made the main campaign unplayable (too technical to explain why). A patch was never released and it's still borked to this day. That's Obsidian for ya!

Completely agree with you about Perfect World. As for NWO Foundry I'll stick to my guns. DOOM showed the world what user content could do for a game.

I think people will play NWO just not the people playing DDO. Thank Jebus. I'm more than happy to let the riff raff play NWO and not ruin things over here.

Well by franchise I actually meant Neverwinter Nights. NwN was probably the polar opposite of DDO, far too easy and understimulating. It was hard to fathom what they were doing after the awesomeness of Baldur's Gate II and Planescape: Torment. Even so I bought NwN three times, the expansions made it a little better.
    Oh yeah I agree the infinity engine games are far superior but the NWN games are good and I don't want NWO to be associated with them

NwN 2 had fantastic class options. Installing the expansion made the main campaign unplayable (too technical to explain why). A patch was never released and it's still borked to this day. That's Obsidian for ya!
    I know not what you speak of I've always been able to play through just fine...mind you I also always used Mods so it could be a fan fix. As for Obsidian I love obsidian I can't wait for Project Eternity and Stick of Truth

Completely agree with you about Perfect World. As for NWO Foundry I'll stick to my guns. DOOM showed the world what user content could do for a game.
    Except Doom was a fun game where-as NWO is not...not matter how much awesome content is created if the gameplay sucks...its still gonna suck.

I think people will play NWO just not the people playing DDO. Thank Jebus. I'm more than happy to let the riff raff play NWO and not ruin things over here.
    Too be honest the major issue with this game is the elitists not the riff raff...it's forced a game built around a social system (DnD) to become a barren wasteland pug-wise with the majority of people playing in either guilds or static groups.

As for "not ruining" things unfortunately the existence of NWO has already steered Turbine's development...its no coincidence that they've switched to the generic realms and have started focusing on dumbing down various systems.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

The Neverwinter franchise of D&D games are crud, however the Foundry is an ominous threat. In time, talented roleplayers that *do* know what they are doing will produce enough high quality content to correct the game's deficiencies. Given the fact that Foundry content will be provided via users for free (with no development costs), DDO should seriously look at jumping on the bandwagon; user content is going to have a big impact in the future.

Sowwy
    Yes, but let's not forget what happened on the other one that has a Foundry, the horror that is Star Trek Online (My husband had to review it). For every even remotely playable foundry storyline, there were 50 broken ones that were just awful. Players will have to wade through a LOT of **** to get to anything good in an open system like that. Same scene in the Elder Scrolls mod community, there are some really fabulous ones, but thousands of really just awful ones or ones that will kill the game with bad coding.

There is a BIG downside to user created content.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

The Hatchery

I'll have to agree with you, OP: it's garbage. I could hardly make it out of the tutorial without getting bored. Once I actually got out of the tutorial I was just like "yeah, nah."

Almost no ability to customize your character, and boring as hell combat. Just hold M1, you don't even need to be facing your enemy or close to them; the toon will do it for you.

In the end it is a kinda okay MMO, but a really bad D&D game. I would never spend a dime on it. If and when DDO shuts down I will just have to go back to playing real pnp D&D.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Too be honest the major issue with this game is the elitists not the riff raff...it's forced a game built around a social system (DnD) to become a barren wasteland pug-wise with the majority of people playing in either guilds or static groups.

As for "not ruining" things unfortunately the existence of NWO has already steered Turbine's development...its no coincidence that they've switched to the generic realms and have started focusing on dumbing down various systems.
    I haven't been playing here long enough to experience any of those things, everyone has been really nice. I am yet to do any group content or be involved with a guild though so only time will tell but random players have been very helpful and friendly.

There's a really nice atmosphere here. I watched MMOGrinder's review of NWO and instead of watching the review paid attention to the chat window. Aside from the poor class options that's what convinced me I wouldn't be playing it.

Riff raff. Well it probably sounds bad to refer to it that way but I'm talking about internet sadists and cheaters that can really ruin your day. Elitists can probably fit in that category too although I've not found any here yet.

Down loading it now as i cant log in to DDO,but really i am just interested in the foundry,its the only thing i think it has over DDO.