Founder

Default Augments From Collectible Vendors

So, are people actually turning in collectibles for augments? After years of keeping my collectibles I might have enough of the "rare" kind (the level that costs 5 of them) to turn in a few times (I don't grind quests), but given that most collectibles are more useful in crafting I'd rather craft with them or sell them than turn them in for a random augment. I suppose that Turbine left the cost high to encourage using Astral Shards to get Augments instead, but I don't see spending real money on a random choice. Can you see going to the grocery store and giving the cashier a dollar and getting a random candybar instead of the one you actually wanted?

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    So, are people actually turning in collectibles for augments? After years of keeping my collectibles I might have enough of the "rare" kind (the level that costs 5 of them) to turn in a few times (I don't grind quests), but given that most collectibles are more useful in crafting I'd rather craft with them or sell them than turn them in for a random augment. I suppose that Turbine left the cost high to encourage using Astral Shards to get Augments instead, but I don't see spending real money on a random choice. Can you see going to the grocery store and giving the cashier a dollar and getting a random candybar instead of the one you actually wanted?
    When you use astral shards it's not random you get to choose from a list which augment you want (each collector has a different list)

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    When you use astral shards it's not random you get to choose from a list which augment you want (each collector has a different list)
    Thanks for the clarification. So that leaves the question of whether anyone is actually turning in collectibles for Augments

Thanks for the clarification. So that leaves the question of whether anyone is actually turning in collectibles for Augments
    I have. Got myself a Heavy Fortification augment that way. Turned in three sets of items to Verisgante to get it, but still...
    There is no free lunch.

The prices are still ridiculous. After hoarding all my collectables for years I only had enough to try a few blues for heavy fort. Three tries later and no heavy fort, and I couldn't really afford to do more. (Maybe I could have managed 2 more tries, but didn't want to waste all my collectables.) And this is for a blue, which has very few possible choices. Reds have around twice as many.

I view collectable turn-in for augments to not even exist.

Not a chance. As first previewed it would have been a FANTASTIC addition to the game. The way it ended up in game with the random item and high prices? It's a joke.

I've used some epic tokens for augments. Heavy Fort cost 20 tokens at the guy in the twelve.

It's kind of expensive... considering I could buy a True Heart of Wood for the same amount of tokens. Now look at how much they both cost in the DDO store.
    Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    Not a chance. As first previewed it would have been a FANTASTIC addition to the game. The way it ended up in game with the random item and high prices? It's a joke.
    This was what I have been thinking too.
    I am glad I'm not the only one, to be honest. It felt like a huge disappointment to me.

Dev's, if you are listening, randomness sucks. Nobody is going to turn in years worth of collectible farming for a random shot at some mostly junk augments over and over again.

1. The ML thing stinks. Augments should in NO WAY increase the ML IMO. It's a bonus, leave it as such.
    2. The costs are ridiculous. I realize that you guys wanted to make people spend astral shards, but this is not the way to do it IMO.
    3. Why are the "epic" augments only 1-10 damage? How in any way is that "epic?" when we are fighting bosses with hundreds of thousands of hitpoints? Yaaay! Now I only have to hit that guy 350 times instead of 370. Lol.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    3. Why are the "epic" augments only 1-10 damage? How in any way is that "epic?" when we are fighting bosses with hundreds of thousands of hitpoints? Yaaay! Now I only have to hit that guy 350 times instead of 370. Lol.
    Thats actually a 5% increase in your DPS, on par with some feats

Founder

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks the collectible turn-ins are too high. And there's no way I'm using Tokens. Astral Shards are actually relatively cheap, but I hesitate to start using them. It seems like Turbine's strategy is to make Astral Shards the "easy way" to encourage their use. This paying real money (Astral Shards) for every little thing in game is exactly what Asian MMOs do. I used to play some back when there wasn't a big MMO selection and finally got fed up with them for this very reason.

As F2P MMOs get more and more greedy, MMOs with regular subscriptions are starting to look like the better deal. No nickel-and-dime-ing me to death.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    The ML thing stinks. Augments should in NO WAY increase the ML IMO. It's a bonus, leave it as such.
    Because +7 to a stat or +114 to a spellpower, etc., are perfectly balanced at level 1?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Because +7 to a stat or +114 to a spellpower, etc., are perfectly balanced at level 1?
    I think he means the augment SLOT should not add +2 to Enchantment (so up to +4 to ML) for an item. The minimum level for the augment would still be enforced once inserted, for the reasons you intimated, but a slotted +1 Holy of Bleed would have the same min level as an unslotted +1 Holy of Bleed.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    I'd prefer that augments wouldn't increase ML, but similar to tomes would apply full bonus at higher lvls.
    For example, with +114 spell power augment you would get only +30 spell power at lvl1 and the bonus should increase when you get levels (up to 114 at lvl 24).

Has anyone come up with a list of which collectible venders are giving which augments? I am a somewhat casual player and lazy also

Quote Originally Posted by Runerock View Post
    Has anyone come up with a list of which collectible venders are giving which augments? I am a somewhat casual player and lazy also
    never mind found it on wikki. edit appears broken at least for me

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks the collectible turn-ins are too high. And there's no way I'm using Tokens. Astral Shards are actually relatively cheap, but I hesitate to start using them. It seems like Turbine's strategy is to make Astral Shards the "easy way" to encourage their use. This paying real money (Astral Shards) for every little thing in game is exactly what Asian MMOs do. I used to play some back when there wasn't a big MMO selection and finally got fed up with them for this very reason.

As F2P MMOs get more and more greedy, MMOs with regular subscriptions are starting to look like the better deal. No nickel-and-dime-ing me to death.
    I said that turn-ins were too high on Lama forum but NO one seemed to care.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ables-turn-ins