Community Member

Default How do I target friends with Cure/Heal potions?

Hello everyone

Well, the title says everything. I'm I random nob who can't figure out how to give Cure Potions to allies. I hate just watch them dye (they are so unlucky with the stabilization roll :P)

Any hint will be very appreciated ^^

Thanks.

Are you asking how to give (trade) healing potions to other players, or how to heal other players that need healing and can't heal themselves?

I'm pretty sure you can't target other people with healing potions, though maybe some of the newer stuff might work that way. You do this by putting the potion in a quickbar, targeting the other person, and then clicking on the quickbar / pushing the associated quickbar key.

Also, note that what can and can't be used on other players isn't always clear. For example, 'regular' (for example, bought form the marketplace tent potion vendor) remove curse potions can be used on other people, while remove curse potions bought from the guild potion vendor in house K can't.

IIRC, guild potions are also useable while under the effects of barbarian/madstone rage, which some 'regular' potions aren't.

If you are trying to get someone who is incapacitated up, then I think you'll be limited to scrolls and wands, plus various ways that raise their hit points without healing them. For example, the aid spell gives you something like 1d8 temporary hitpoints, so if you use and aid clicky on someone, those temporary hit points may be enough to get them back on their feet, so they can then drink their own potions/cast their own spells.

I believe clickys for both cure light wounds and aid are available on Korthos.

It's also possible to use the heal skill on incapacitated characters, or something, but I've never seen it done.

The function keys (F1 to F6 for parties, F1 to F12 for raids) will directly select party members based on their order in your party display. So F1 always targets yourself.

Potions can't be used on other players, as Jingwei explains. You can use the Curative Cloak from the end reward for Redemption (the korthos wilderness quest) to revive incapacitated party members. Drag the cloak to your hotbar, hit the appropriate function key to target the incapacitated party member, then click the hotbar button with the cloak on it.

You can also use Bracers of Assistance from the Cannith Crystal end reward (korthos village quest) in the same way. This gives temporary hit points instead of actual hit points, though, so the incapacitated person will need further assistance (like drinking a pot) within a minute to prevent going incapacitated again.

You can have multiple curative cloaks and bracers of assistance in your inventory, and neither needs to be equipped full time. The first time you click them on your hotbar they get equipped, and the second time you click their hotbar it uses a charge of their "clickie." After use, switch back to your regular cloak/bracers. (Maybe drag the regular item to its own hotbar button next to the clickie to make this a seemless process.)

EDIT: For brand new players, I recommend Spear Bane as your regular bracers and Furor's Hide as your regular cloak, until you're able to craft yourself an invulnerability shard. Invulnerability is extremely low level to craft; try to get that done even if you never craft anything else.

Community Member

I thought of one point of confusion here. The potions you can use on others should mention a funnel in the descriptions. Unfortunately, potions, like the Cure pots, that mimic spells that can be cast on others as a spell still say you can target a friend in the copied spell description, even though in potion (and cake and cookie) form you can't necessarily do so.

Anyone can use Healing Kit to stabilize dying party members, but usually nobody does because having any ability to heal someone will also automatically stabilize them. The ten hitpoint window is also pretty small when both total hitpoints and the amount of damage done get into three digits, so later you're either dead or alive and rarely incapacitated and dying, making those kits pretty worthless.

Community Member

Hum... The potion description says "Target: Self, Friend, Undead Foe", so I thought I could target allies with a potion (I don't have Heal skill).

Thank you all for the replies It was very helpful ^^

yet another thing thats been wrong. FOREVER i had to mix 6 lv orartie ino my build just so i could thow heal pots. i sould e abe stack 1000 of them now

One thing that I might suggest exploring is the difference between guild pots and vendor pots. I beleive, though someone can correct me, that vendor curse pots can be used on friends, but guild pots can't. Same may or may not hold true for cure pots. At least that is what my foggy recollection of days gone by when people still ran VoD and guild pots were new seems to recall. Nowadays, this hasn't come up as practical thing for me to do so I cannot give more definitive help than repeat a few points:
    1) Turbine rarely updates descriptions embedded deep in the game (aka never trust the Tips that scroll in loading screens. No more auto-crits for held mobs for ex)
    2) The "same" potion from one source may behave differently when purchased from a different source.
    3) The aid clickie bracers that you get in korthos are the go-to tool for healing incapped players at low levels. You could get similar aid clickies with more clicks from random gen loot, but if your friends need you to repeatedly fix their incapped status you may need to have "the talk" with them.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.