Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default new invasioin. revisited. and still a faiil

(sry for the bad spelling in title, was unable to see what I was typing. thx turbine for such wonderful forums)

OK so now I am a triple TR (yes yes I know, nothing special, but for me it's pretty cool as one whom does not really TR much) with a maxed destiny. FvS.
    Good healer and a pretty good evoker. Getting nice implosions on EE now. yada yada.

So I try to do New Invasion on Elite (as a lvl 21). Not the first time trying, but never managed on Elite. Always a wipe.

I have read everything about it. I know BBs are a not so useful on Elite, but someone else said that's not true and they do work. (For the record, they WERE doing damage).
    I know about the traps etc.

However, what, the *insert favorite curse word here*, do you do when you are chained+cursed+15mobs+KD and a big red guy beating on you? And then, because you are so busy trying to drink the pot and get off the heal, and DP/ BB, and run/ wingz, and everything on the screen is full and you can't see the darn floor, - a trap goes off on you.

I love a challenge. We got there with over an hour and 15 min left. We also tried the other way where everyone goes down and tries to stay together, and walk together. And then someone gets chained. Or KD. and cursed. I only gave up after all my gear was broken.

It's just that everything is happening so darn fast. I have decent reactions, but how is this done? And how was is done before epic levels with no EDs on Elite? Dont seem to have time to even turn around to get off a DP.

So, what am I missing? I wanna win - I wanna beat this.
    ~~ Adrunil - Rogue. Halfling, big guy you can't miss him. ~~
    ~~ Adrunel - Monkcher. (Moncher?) ~~
    Robodoc - FvS Evoker-Healer. Post 19: Ended up LRing into 13/7 forc
    Orien server.

Community Member

Well, I'll give you my experience of running this.

On Elite, make sure you are fully healed and buffed before going down the first time to the Boss. If you are at high alert (Yellow or higher) and jump down, many teleporters will follow you down and this will only make it much harder for yourself. So make sure that you have cleared all enemies around you at the top of the drop to the Boss before going down to face him.

As for the fight itself:

Drop 1 Blade Barrier on the nearest pad, get aggro of the Devils there, lead them through the barrier back and forth for now (the trap doesn't start until the Boss comes out), implode them if you can. Once you hear the boss roar, immediately start the standard one pad at a time routine in a clockwise/counter clockwise run. The key thing being you need to be with Striding 30% boots backpeddling, don't run forward as you'll move too fast then, but backpeddle.

As you're back peddling, drop a barrier roughly in the middle of each pad as you're about to go over it via a jump whilst backpeddling. And simply keep doing this until about 70% and 50% life when an Air Elemental will spawn. Your goal here is to do everything you can to kill the Devils off first (as they will do lots of small damage constantly) and hopefully kill them before the elementals spawn. Once done your concentration should be on the Air Elemental, as it is without a doubt the single thing that will ruin your day more than anything else in that boss fight (there is absolutely nothing you can do whilst laying on your back, unlike chains where you can still wing around). Once both are killed (you can let the boss' health restore above and take down to below 70% and 50% again and the Air Elementals will not respawn), simply stay alive and BB and Divine Punishment on the boss.

If at any point you are chained, turn around immediately, jump and wing, wait for the cooldown to finish and repeat to get off the next pad and enemies. Use a Heal spell if needed between the first and second wing. Keep repeating the BB drops and Divine Punishment on the boss and it should only be a matter of time.

That's roughly how I've been running Elite New Invasion since 09.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSFWEl View Post
    We got there
    This is the source of your problem. The room for the boss fight is tight on space. A full (or even partial party) is of little value unless they are completely self sufficient. This is one of the few places in the game where regardless of party size you are likely better off doing the boss fight solo, so everybody else is just dungeon scaling.

The prior post had some pretty good advice. Keep the area clear of trash. Last time I was in there solo elite, I just used Divine Punishment and Avenging Light (from the Exalted Angel epic destiny). I didn't even blade barrier, because at one time that WAS totally useless in there on elite, and I wasn't aware that had changed. Hit and run. Don't be shy about healing yourself, because you will likely have more than enough spell points.

Wings of course for when you are chained.

If you have a caster build with the proper meta magic feats, this should be an easy fight. If my gimpy 28 build point cleric (with the proper gear and maxed Epic destinies ) can do it, I'm quite sure that you can too.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Storyteller View Post
    Well, I'll give you my experience of running this.

On Elite, make sure you are fully healed and buffed before going down the first time to the Boss. If you are at high alert (Yellow or higher) and jump down, many teleporters will follow you down and this will only make it much harder for yourself. So make sure that you have cleared all enemies around you at the top of the drop to the Boss before going down to face him.

As for the fight itself:

Drop 1 Blade Barrier on the nearest pad, get aggro of the Devils there, lead them through the barrier back and forth for now (the trap doesn't start until the Boss comes out), implode them if you can. Once you hear the boss roar, immediately start the standard one pad at a time routine in a clockwise/counter clockwise run. The key thing being you need to be with Striding 30% boots backpeddling, don't run forward as you'll move too fast then, but backpeddle.

As you're back peddling, drop a barrier roughly in the middle of each pad as you're about to go over it via a jump whilst backpeddling. And simply keep doing this until about 70% and 50% life when an Air Elemental will spawn. Your goal here is to do everything you can to kill the Devils off first (as they will do lots of small damage constantly) and hopefully kill them before the elementals spawn. Once done your concentration should be on the Air Elemental, as it is without a doubt the single thing that will ruin your day more than anything else in that boss fight (there is absolutely nothing you can do whilst laying on your back, unlike chains where you can still wing around). Once both are killed (you can let the boss' health restore above and take down to below 70% and 50% again and the Air Elementals will not respawn), simply stay alive and BB and Divine Punishment on the boss.

If at any point you are chained, turn around immediately, jump and wing, wait for the cooldown to finish and repeat to get off the next pad and enemies. Use a Heal spell if needed between the first and second wing. Keep repeating the BB drops and Divine Punishment on the boss and it should only be a matter of time.

That's roughly how I've been running Elite New Invasion since 09.
    A couple things to add. Destruct the freaking air elemental as fast as possible.

The second thing is there is an even easier way to handle the boss now. Jump down with a toon with fury shot. The boss really doesn't have much hp and can be burned down extremely fast that way. Once the boss is dead the traps turn off and the rest of the party can jump down and help finish off the trash. Just did this with my bladeforged jugg that I made and I killed the boss before I even needed to heal myself.

Community Member

In addition to the advice already given, I would say not to do the typical move-in-a-circle way once the air ellie is dead. If you zoom your camera out as far as possible and stand on the edge of one tile, you can easily see when the current tile starts glowing and then step to the next, and then alternate between the two as needed. This has the chief advantages of making the tile transition easy even if you're chained, and allowing you to spend less time running and more DPSing.

Thanks for bringing this up. This is one of the quest completely broken, from a long time. Not only, like all the Tod flagging chain, no worth xp given, but also a final battle so much stupid and frustrating you ll never want to even try to run on elite.

It would be just a same to show as a "professional" work for any videogame software house.

Little hint: make DM declare when bomb time has been triggere or (better) change floor color according to how much time remain before explosion.
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

1 man enters, 6 men loot.

Also, if you can, pay attention to the lava running down the columns in the middle. These are the trap timers.

Good Luck
    Some people are like Slinkies
    They don't really have a purpose
    But they still bring a smile to your face
    When you push them down the stairs

Quote Originally Posted by Phemt81 View Post
    Thanks for bringing this up. This is one of the quest completely broken, from a long time. Not only, like all the Tod flagging chain, no worth xp given, but also a final battle so much stupid and frustrating you ll never want to even try to run on elite.

It would be just a same to show as a "professional" work for any videogame software house.

Little hint: make DM declare when bomb time has been triggere or (better) change floor color according to how much time remain before explosion.
    Did elite on saturday as mentioned earlier in the thread. I've done it multiple times when the cap was 20 on a fvs, back then you really had to have built a good toon dc wise with gear ext to do it. Now with epic destinies it really isn't that hard, there is still a chance for failure yes but saying it's broken, stupid, frustrating, and that people would never want to run it on elite is just over the top dramatics.

Quote Originally Posted by amnota View Post
    Also, if you can, pay attention to the lava running down the columns in the middle. These are the trap timers.
    That is new for me. Thanks for the info.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Did elite on saturday as mentioned earlier in the thread. I've done it multiple times when the cap was 20 on a fvs, back then you really had to have built a good toon dc wise with gear ext to do it. Now with epic destinies it really isn't that hard, there is still a chance for failure yes but saying it's broken, stupid, frustrating, and that people would never want to run it on elite is just over the top dramatics.
    ^This. So much of this.

I don't have this pack, and until very recently I have never even been out there. While leveling my last TR my TR partner who really loves this pack decided he would buy me a couple passes so we could so all the quests on elite, at level 18, just me and him. He was on a pure pally life, and I was on the Ranger build in my Sig. We completed every quest in Shavarath on elite on the first try including this quest; I loved them all honestly. So much fun.

Since it was my first time in the quest and he had to show/explain to me how the end fight worked we both had to drop down. He basically just threw me emergency LOH's if I couldn't get to my heal scrolls in time, and I solo'd the entire fight in a sense. It was tough, and took longer than the typical "hit manyhsot/10K stars and loot cause everything is already dead.".

Honestly I can't wait till I get my favor from my next TR and I can buy the pack. I'm really looking forward to trying these quests on other builds, especially this end fight. Pretty excited to see how builds with some form of "wings" hold up better compared to just pure AA DPS. Or how toons with inherent self-heals do when you don't have to chug a pot, switch to scrolls, and get UMD lag, then switch back to bow.

Also, it is very much worth keeping a manyshot/10K stars off timer for when the air ele spawns. Hit that damn thing hard, and hit it fast. Preferably before it becomes a problem. Was a shock to me in the middle of the fight while I was trying to get rid of a curse and heal myself up when suddenly I was on my back with devils all over me.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Community Member

A Pale Lavender Ioun Stone or other source of spell absorption will block the healing curse, but will likely get drained very fast on HE.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    It's like I am in 2 parallel worlds.
    I read about how some people on a lvl 20 toon, doing it first time on elite have no problem, and when I try it, after many attempts, on a maxed ED toon, all the advice is worth nothing, because everything is happening so fast.

* How can you have time to kill the trash before the boss agroes you? he agroes you within seconds! Hits you with chains, curses you, the devils start on you, and bam. of course I went down there fully buffed. Even with full bard buffs. And I hit implosion as soon as I got down.

* to drink a curse pot takes a couple secs. you need to stop. in that time the boss catches up. and curses you again. (or is it only the devils cursing you. I cannot tell). It's like if there were one less thing to worry about, I can do it. But everything together...

* How can a caster get through the entire quest solo? There are too many mobs to kill! So if the big issue is scaling for the end boss, soling seems to be the answer. but even solo, there are a LOT of mobs. And that's with a working implosion on elite. I tried to solo on elite, but just ran out of SP. Yes I know how to conserve. I can frequently finish a quest with lots of SP left. But to kill a mob, you need to spend some SP. looking at him wont do much. Divine wrath works too, but not fast enough to take out so many mobs.

* And then add to the mix half the mobs on elite have insane reflex, so I can't just BB my way through. You cant zerg it, or the red alert will kill you. And if you are lucky and find a portal to next level, you drop into a huge pile of mobs.

And I am not trying for drama here, I just really want to beat this. Never said it's broken either.
    Orien server.

I read about how some people on a lvl 20 toon, doing it first time on elite have no problem, and when I try it, after many attempts, on a maxed ED toon, all the advice is worth nothing, because everything is happening so fast.
    first attempt no, I failed it and died quite a few times while learning how to do it.
    * How can you have time to kill the trash before the boss agroes you? he agroes you within seconds! Hits you with chains, curses you, the devils start on you, and bam. of course I went down there fully buffed. Even with full bard buffs. And I hit implosion as soon as I got down.
    All the trash no, a large chunk of it yes that is then cleaned up within a few secs of bb kiting.
    * to drink a curse pot takes a couple secs. you need to stop. in that time the boss catches up. and curses you again. (or is it only the devils cursing you. I cannot tell). It's like if there were one less thing to worry about, I can do it. But everything together...
    don't stop to drink keep moving
    * How can a caster get through the entire quest solo? There are too many mobs to kill! So if the big issue is scaling for the end boss, soling seems to be the answer. but even solo, there are a LOT of mobs. And that's with a working implosion on elite. I tried to solo on elite, but just ran out of SP. Yes I know how to conserve. I can frequently finish a quest with lots of SP left. But to kill a mob, you need to spend some SP. looking at him wont do much. Divine wrath works too, but not fast enough to take out so many mobs.
    torc, con-op, bauble, twisted talisman, etwisted talisman, and archivist necklace (yes I keep this around sp is sp)
    * And then add to the mix half the mobs on elite have insane reflex, so I can't just BB my way through. You cant zerg it, or the red alert will kill you. And if you are lucky and find a portal to next level, you drop into a huge pile of mobs.
    Never did this method on elite but if you want to zerg it you could invis and jump constantly with ff on. I've done it that way for a quick normal zerg completion to get flagged before a guild tod.
    And I am not trying for drama here, I just really want to beat this. Never said it's broken either.
    That part wasn't directed at you but the person I quoted earlier.

Community Member

I think I can see part of the issue you are having. You've gone with the Silver Flame capstone right? So you've lost out on a highly valuable 0sp self cure instead.

I don't know about the others, but when I completed it solo for others (back at cap of 20 or indeed now) I usually go in with Concordant Opposition Green Steel and a Torc. And we use the capstone to remain healed up during the way to the boss, getting hit was the norm. There is virtually zero chance to run out of sp and zero chance virtually of dying so long as I don't try to alert the whole place to Hell and back, all the while being able to spam lots of heals as needed during the run due to the sp regeneration from hits.

As for the boss fight, if you really have gone with the Silver Flame capstone, then you simply have to spam a cure 3 seconds after a Heal after you appear to reach 60% health to make sure after hits don't take you down and you all of a sudden get chained as well.

If you really are having trouble with the boss still, then I recommend going into the Lobster and doing some PvP. A lot of us learned to do intense maneuverability whilst casting spells and attacking in the PVP area which will help with the boss fight down there as you learn to simply move and direct yourself with your mouse for quick directions and being able to wing/heal/damage as needed.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by The-Storyteller View Post
    I think I can see part of the issue you are having. You've gone with the Silver Flame capstone right? So you've lost out on a highly valuable 0sp self cure instead..
    no i sov host.

re SP. I am indeed missing some of the SP items....
    Orien server.

Read through the thread and didn't see this mentioned.
    One of the main reasons to send one party member down is that soulstones (of your dead party members) trigger the timer of the traps setting them off over and over and likely killing anyone else down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phemt81 View Post
    Ah, come on, this is plain exaggeration. I can understand if you don't like the quest, but posting stuff like this is outright lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Svartelric View Post
    Ah, come on, this is plain exaggeration. I can understand if you don't like the quest, but posting stuff like this is outright lying.
    Don't agree with you. I have absolutely no desire to run this quest on HE precisely because of the dynamic in the boss fight. I felt angry, frustrated, and overly stressed just trying to run it on HN. I don't like going back to this quest to reflag my TR's for ToD, even.

To me, this is a necessary evil that I detest, not a fun time in a game I play to have fun.
    There is no free lunch.

A very good tactic in there is to mass charm the devils to do your work for you iirc fvs have symbol of persuasion
    Argonnessen: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir @ Blood Assassin´s

Community Member

You can see lfm with 5 lvl 25 toons looking for "good cc" for elite Sins not filling for 30 mins and eventually disbanding.
    Some people cap in E/H/Nx5 Sins. solo.

Elite Amrath has always been easier with few people in party. And good challenge for solo cleric/fvs at level before u14.
    Farming elite Weapons Shipment for Bauble, inviting folks for chests, anyone ?
    Except buggy alert in Bastion and, yes that end fight in Invasion "might" be a waste of time on elite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast