Community Member

Default Erie Forest Rare Encounters Feedback

So I went into the Erie forest today after getting flagged for stealer of souls, and thought I would get all the rares and explorers. Never really done that in the erie forest before so I was pretty new to it all. I would like to talk about my experiences in there with the rare encounters.
    The first one was inside the giant tree right in the middle of the forest. I wipped up all of the rats around the tree and thought I would fight them inside. After killing a few of them there was a DM line about the blood pooling up around me. After killing more the blood from the rats was lining the ring of the platform, and finally my so-called sacrifice summoned a vampire! I thought that rare encounter was pretty awesome, especially since I didnt know what was going to happen. I think that is the coolest rare encounter ever because the player had to work to get the vampire to spawn. Thumbs up!
    However, I believe the next two rare encounters need some work. The darkness one is in a crypt-like thing on one side of the map, and is pretty boring as it is just a bunch of bats and umbral ghost guys. This rare needs a final boss to make it less monotone.
    The last rare was on the other side of the map, taking place by a bunch of caravans. I walked up to investigate the caravans and a huge wave of zombies spawned behind me. Thumbs up here for a well-staged ambush. I began to fight them off, but then I noticed a large creepy force-field wall that was walling me in, and being the little rebel I am I thought I would run up to it (I really dont know why). When I hit the wall I was able to walk through it but.... IT KILLED ME!!!! What the heck! This was a big inconvience since Reavers Refuge is as far as you can get from the rest of the universe and running back is a pain (along with repairing all of my stuff). Also, when I got back into the forest and re-triggered the ambush, I was able to draw in a rat from the other side of the wall, and the rat came through the wall un-hurt and attacked me.
    This wall that spawns in the zombie ambush should be changed to simply keep the player in, like every other basic force-field wall in the game. It should not let monsters in or out, and especially should not kill poor noob players like me when they walk through it. And like its counter-part darkness rare, this ambush needs a boss too - a zombie with a name that is slightly tougher than the others.
    I know that the Erie forest is a pretty small area and doesnt matter as much as other areas, but I just wanted to give some feedback on it anyway and vent a little bit about getting killed by that weird force-field. Would be nice if that was changed. Thanks!

This pack was released Wednesday October 29th, 2008. I really doubt any changes will be made to this pack unless they decide to add an epic version at some point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawesome1 View Post
    I began to fight them off, but then I noticed a large creepy force-field wall that was walling me in, and being the little rebel I am I thought I would run up to it (I really dont know why). When I hit the wall I was able to walk through it but.... IT KILLED ME!!!!
    That's called finding out the hard way.
    I'm sure there are many folks out there (myself included) who found out not to walk to close to big nasty looking walls of death this way.

Change it? Why? Taking the danger and surprise out of the game does not improve it, even if you were miffed for a little while.
    AUREON/ KEEPER 2006-2009 | CANNITH 2010 -
    Anaplian, Csimian, Tengram, Hackworth, Memenah, Helekye, Nabberfleish
    Brotherhood of the Wolf

Community Member

Yep, I saw a rat through the wall and thought I must need to kill that to finish the encounter. So I ran through the wall...... Frustrating, but the wall color/composition was a giveaway with hindsight.