Default A good night on Argo

I know it's not de rigueur to post anything positive, but hell, why not.

Tonight on Argo, we had a raid flll in under 10 minutes. No problems filling raid trains the past couple of nights, either. Then continued on into farming tokens etc in eVon and eFens. Never had a problem with the LFMs filling. All who joined were capable and courteous. We took applicants on a first-come, first-taken basis.

I am sure some people have bad luck with the LFM. Even though I spend most of my time in static TR runs with guildies, though, I do have to say that overall, my experiences on the LFM have been positive. Not just tonight, but over the past 3 years.

Yes, there is a lot that could be better. But from what I can see, playing mostly in the server's dead time overnight, things are going pretty OK on the LFM front.
    Heatherx (Completionist--honest, no stones)
    Toryen Warchanter 24 ~ Treslyn Cleric 26 ~ Lohikaerme Druid 24 ~ Khenshii Monk 28

Heroes of Light and Darkness ~ Argonnessen

Founder

First, I'm glad that you had a good experience. And I'm not trying to put a damper on it, but the game "working as intended" is not something that most people are going to go out of their way to crow about. When my car starts in the morning and I make it to work with no incident - everything working smoothly and correctly - I don't get on the manufacturer forum and tell them about it. It is expected behavior.

So while your experience is great and I'm not saying you shouldn't write about it, your experience is simply how an MMO should normally behave so I'm not surprised that you don't see more posts like this.

Now, if you were playing and suddenly a couple of Devs logged in and invited everyone to come to the Marketplace where they were going to open the Subterrane and let the mobs out for a little unusual action, that would be beyond the expected behavior of the game.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalgren View Post
    I know it's not de rigueur to post anything positive, but hell, why not.

Tonight on Argo, we had a raid flll in under 10 minutes. No problems filling raid trains the past couple of nights, either. Then continued on into farming tokens etc in eVon and eFens. Never had a problem with the LFMs filling. All who joined were capable and courteous. We took applicants on a first-come, first-taken basis.

I am sure some people have bad luck with the LFM. Even though I spend most of my time in static TR runs with guildies, though, I do have to say that overall, my experiences on the LFM have been positive. Not just tonight, but over the past 3 years.

Yes, there is a lot that could be better. But from what I can see, playing mostly in the server's dead time overnight, things are going pretty OK on the LFM front.
    Yeah, Argo's been doing pretty good on the pug from for the past couple weeks.
    I'm certainly not complaining. Nope, No complaining here. Especially not when a pug rogue dies in every trap in VON4, blows 3 boxes, and takes the ML9 RR halfling Disable device +11 goggles that had a colorless slot that I gave him and tries to sell them right after leaving quest..

..Err, Okay, maybe a bit of complaining there.
    But all in all, It's been good.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    First, I'm glad that you had a good experience. And I'm not trying to put a damper on it, but the game "working as intended" is not something that most people are going to go out of their way to crow about. When my car starts in the morning and I make it to work with no incident - everything working smoothly and correctly - I don't get on the manufacturer forum and tell them about it. It is expected behavior.

So while your experience is great and I'm not saying you shouldn't write about it, your experience is simply how an MMO should normally behave so I'm not surprised that you don't see more posts like this.
    So, what?
    Are you saying that while she had a good time in game, and came here to share that, she shouldn't have?
    Are these forums reserved for people to ***** and moan at turbine, and everyone else can just bugger off?
    Personally I love seeing posts like this, it's a counterbalance for the 10 daily threads of, "this game is dead".
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    So, what?
    Are you saying that while she had a good time in game, and came here to share that, she shouldn't have?
    Are these forums reserved for people to ***** and moan at turbine, and everyone else can just bugger off?
    Personally I love seeing posts like this, it's a counterbalance for the 10 daily threads of, "this game is dead".
    Apparently you didn't actually read my post:

"So while your experience is great and I'm not saying you shouldn't write about it, your experience is simply how an MMO should normally behave so I'm not surprised that you don't see more posts like this."

Which was a response to:

"I know it's not de rigueur to post anything positive, but hell, why not."

Just to be clear, I wasn't addressing game systems, direction, or management. I could not argue that there are not valid concerns in those areas.

Mostly I just wanted to point out that not everybody has as much of a nightmarish time when pugging as others. Not sure why this should be, and I've certainly had my share of nasty experiences. But mostly, it's pretty OK for me for whatever reason. The forums always seem so full of darkness and doom that I figured I'd just mention a particularly good night.

(As an aside, I'm not a she. I'm also not an elf.)
    Last edited by Dhalgren; 06-09-2013 at 10:40 PM.
    Toryen Warchanter 24 ~ Treslyn Cleric 26 ~ Lohikaerme Druid 24 ~ Khenshii Monk 28

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post

Now, if you were playing and suddenly a couple of Devs logged in and invited everyone to come to the Marketplace where they were going to open the Subterrane and let the mobs out for a little unusual action, that would be beyond the expected behavior of the game.
    You do realize that there are doomboi's on these forums claiming that it's impossible to fill a lfm for any quest at any time of day right? Posting that the game is wai with lfms is a very good thing because of all the false doom that's spread about the lfm system.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    You do realize that there are doomboi's on these forums claiming that it's impossible to fill a lfm for any quest at any time of day right? Posting that the game is wai with lfms is a very good thing because of all the false doom that's spread about the lfm system.
    You forgot to mention the doombois claim it's impossible on the seven servers they don't play on as well.

Meanwhile, I was in hound of xoriat groups 3 times in the last 2 days on sarlona, all of which filled within about 10 minutes after I joined.

Thumbs up Argp

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalgren View Post
    I know it's not de rigueur to post anything positive, but hell, why not.Tonight on Argo, we had a raid flll in under 10 minutes. No problems filling raid trains the past couple of nights, either. Then continued on into farming tokens etc in eVon and eFens. Never had a problem with the LFMs filling. All who joined were capable and courteous. We took applicants on a first-come, first-taken basis.I am sure some people have bad luck with the LFM. Even though I spend most of my time in static TR runs with guildies, though, I do have to say that overall, my experiences on the LFM have been positive. Not just tonight, but over the past 3 years.Yes, there is a lot that could be better. But from what I can see, playing mostly in the server's dead time overnight, things are going pretty OK on the LFM front.
    I have found Argo to be fantastic lately with my LFM's. Glad since I've decided to upgrade my ISP and SSD and all the $ I've spent at DDO store etc. I'm having more fun playing this game then I have had in a long time.

Community Member

I was lucky enough to get my juggy Gids into that group for some of the eVon and the first eFens quest. Really good group.

Filled very fast, and I think it was how the LFM was set up. Party Leader's name sounded like a girl I used to know, already had a FVS in group, and simply said something like 'farming tokens and a little xp'. Set up a really nice relaxed tone that I was looking for around 5am.

There's also something I think is just off putting about 'ED Grind', 'Selective', 'Know It', 'BYOH/Zerg/IP' that I know I don't particularly care for. I'm going to assume others feel the same way, and that leads to part of the perception that groups are hard to fill.

Either way. I had a good time, and I usually do when joining PUGs.

Happy to read the OP and other reports about Argo recently.

I've long ignored the doomsayers because over the past couple years I'd occasionally check the Who tab population during off-hours -- say 5:00am ET like it is now -- and it was always around 400. So I never saw any drastic reduction in the Argo population.

Over the past week, at around this time of night on Argo there have frequently been only around 250 players online. That's a massive nosedive compared to the 400 or so I've been used to over the past 2+ years.

I'll check the Argo population in a few minutes after my red latency fail first login of the day. Hopefully it's back up to at least the mid-300s based on the OP's experience.

EDIT: Current Argo population is 209. That's super low. On the plus side there's 17 LFMs, which isn't too bad. (Normally it's in the high 20s during the 400-population times.)

Argo love.

That said, filling most anything has been terrible for me...

I sat waiting for an hour to fill a shroud.

Another group was over an hour to fill a chrono.

Not complaining and working around it, but the server seems dead the past month or so. I play at many different times and it just seems like summer fun has got most people away from their keyboard and into the hot yellow glowing ball (shudder ) so we shall see.
    "Eye of the Dragon" on Argonessen. "Quest with the best"

Quote Originally Posted by gidsisJoJI View Post
    I was lucky enough to get my juggy Gids into that group for some of the eVon and the first eFens quest. Really good group.

Filled very fast, and I think it was how the LFM was set up. Party Leader's name sounded like a girl I used to know, already had a FVS in group, and simply said something like 'farming tokens and a little xp'. Set up a really nice relaxed tone that I was looking for around 5am.

There's also something I think is just off putting about 'ED Grind', 'Selective', 'Know It', 'BYOH/Zerg/IP' that I know I don't particularly care for. I'm going to assume others feel the same way, and that leads to part of the perception that groups are hard to fill.

Either way. I had a good time, and I usually do when joining PUGs.
    I remember you. Thanks for coming. And I agree with your take on things. We like to keep things pretty chill and hell, we don't know it all--why should we expect/demand that others do? Sometimes we steamroll quests; sometimes we have to rise to the challenge.

I get enough **** during my day job that I figure if I'm stressing out about the activities I am doing during my alleged play time, I am doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by gidsisJoJI View Post
    I always feel bad when I read things like this, because I pug a lot on Argo, and like some other people in this thread, due to work, or just having a really hectic RL, I play at some strange times. Sometimes I can log in just long enough to zerg a quest or 2 and then I have to log, or take extended afk's. Also, Ask anyone who runs with me regularly. I have possibly the worst connection on this server. My DC record is off the damn charts.

Due to this, when I pug I'm usually forced to put up my own LFM's and I just don't have the luxury of waiting around for people. So my Lfm's almost always have IP in them. I also don't use divine hirelings, ever. On caster lives from levels 1-3/4ish I use melee barb hires. Which means unless we get a healer that joins, it will be a byoh run. I have to put that in the LFM now because I've had one too many pugs go south when I fill that last spot, and we don't have a healer. People get angry they weren't informed before hand, and either leave or tell me to boot people etc.
    Or if I don't have these things in my LFM and people join it becomes a waiting game. It's usually something like: I ask if they're okay with BYOH, get no as a response, and end up wasting time because they don't want to chance it.

I love pugging, and ever more so, I love pugging on Argo. It's always fun and interesting. So I hate knowing people feel excluded from my LFM's, because honestly unless I was already full, had spots reserved or w.e I'd never turn someone down. For any reason. But I also know that false advertising is just as bad as being perceived as an "elitist/exclusionary or w.e else.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue100000005 View Post
    Argo love.

That said, filling most anything has been terrible for me...

I sat waiting for an hour to fill a shroud.

Another group was over an hour to fill a chrono.

Not complaining and working around it, but the server seems dead the past month or so. I play at many different times and it just seems like summer fun has got most people away from their keyboard and into the hot yellow glowing ball (shudder ) so we shall see.
    Argo's run hot and cold for the last few weeks.
    There was actually a Titan run up last night, mostly full and in a short enough time I can assume it was run. A comfortable amount of LFMs up for level-appropriate quests, which is always nice. It looks like there were a lot of things running till early morning, at least from looking at guild log times.

Which might explain why I was on for three hours this morning and only one other guildie logged, and was gone again in minutes. LFM panel is a miserably empty box of sad. It's emptier than usual, even for a Monday morning. I hope it picks up later today, but I'm not gonna hang around waiting to see.

Founder

So, since people who offer their experience of not being able to find groups are "doombois", I guess that people who offer their experience of not having trouble finding groups are also to be labelled with some kind of extremist moniker?

I started to think up a name but realized I didn't want to emulate the extremists who label everyone who complains on the forums as "haters" or "doombois".

Again, I never said you shouldn't post about not having trouble finding groups, simply that in MMOs working correctly one should expect little-to-no trouble finding groups, etc. and "WAI" isn't something people tend to post about.

Community Member

Wellllll, yesterday I basically played DDO for maybe 6 hours straight, and pugging was great that whole day on argo.

I managed to get a couple levels done on my main (who I have been putting off playing for a while) and got tons of great groups doing so.

In my own personal experience lately argo has been fantastic for pugging....

Also Ara: I assumed your "DCing" was just you using advanced piking techniques

Quote Originally Posted by Primordial_Soup View Post
    Also Ara: I assumed your "DCing" was just you using advanced piking techniques
    No, no.. You have this all wrong. A Good piker doesn't get noticed when piking. And people tend to notice you DCing all the time.
    You'll never know I'm piking when I'm in a Pug. I'm just too good.

On the other hand, if I know you, or you know me? Well, let's just say I won't hold anything back.
    Just ask people who know me well. They know what to expect before hand. XD

I also make it fairly obvious for people who bother to look closely enough.
    My AA's Bio:
    I'm here to pike, and to traps; And I'm all out of thieve's tools.

My Sorcs Bio:
    This toon is made for piking, and that's just what She'll do. One of these days this toon is gonna pike along side you.
    Raids I mean... I'm gonna pike all your raids.

The last line in my Monks Bio:
    Hi, I'm a piker. Where's the loot again?

I was having fun with my farmer this weekend started a few lfm´s they were a little slow to start but filled all with in 10 min or so and ended the weekend pugging a CITW which went very smooth.

While I have noticed a little less activity but that does not diminish the quality
    Argonnessen: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir @ Blood Assassin´s

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    No, no.. You have this all wrong. A Good piker doesn't get noticed when piking. And people tend to notice you DCing all the time.
    You'll never know I'm piking when I'm in a Pug. I'm just too good.
    but what if you're so good that you do reverse psychology piking? Everyone notices you DCing, and blames it on turbine/your IP/your computer, and don't think you're piking then you come back at the end for your loot.

Epic piking.

(and yes I have run with you a few times lol)
    Ckarlock, Dragonbloodz, Sorinsal. Argo Server, Guild: Bringers of Darkness.