Community Member

Default Rogue leveling weapons

Hey, just looking for some pointers/answers to a few questions.

I've been levelling my pure rogue for a bit now, level 9 at the moment, and, as expected, the higher I get the more difficult soloing becomes - I'm already avoiding undead heavy quests when a group isn't available. Bluff, while incredibly reliable, is a fairly limited way of dealing with *all* the occupants of a dungeon due to its cooldown At the moment I've generally been alternating between Flaming/Lacerating weapons and the occasional DR beater- are there any particularly good named weapons around my level that don't drop in raids (I'm VIP, not a khopesh build)?

I've also played around with some deception weapons, while I love the proc itself I've found it becoming a little dangerous during elite quests when the enemies involved cleave or, even worse, perform cleave combo attacks. I've had a look around and constantly hear about Radiant/Radiant II weapons, are they a massive improvement when soloing? Found absolutely no information as to what it is they actually do :P

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm comfortable soloing quests above my level if that's where I can expect to find the best level appropriate weapons. I have a Desert Sand Dag of Deception for level 10 but I'm sure there must be far better items available.

Community Member

Rad / Rad II weapons are your green steel (GS) weapons... yes, they're great compared to most named items since each tier (three in all) gives a special ability or, in some cases, more than just a special ability. I'm assuming your strength is higher than your dexterity... other weapons that help significantly are--

Guardian of the Liturgy (ML10 Unbound & ML12 BtCoE with Red Augment Slot, deals pierce and slashing damage, considered a dagger, 1d10, great zombie slasher for rogues), Zephyr (changed since U17, now has a base 2[2d4] damage, at ML6 unbound and ML8 BtCoE), and Flint (similar to Zephyr, 2[1d6] with shocking burst... both of these weapons use dex and str for to hit and damage as well). The Unbound versions are hard to find, and cannot be looted anymore.

If you're really trying to make sure you're breaking all DR (slashing = guardian, pierce is pretty much covered), I'd also grab a theurgic stave from threnal (ML8, Adamantine, Elemental Bane, 1.5[2d4], red & purple augments). Throw a "good" damage flag on it and you essentially have a skeleton & flesh golem beater, along with it already being a good elemental beater. The base damage / expanded crit range doesn't hurt either.

I think that covers most in terms of DPS for low levels, sans some abberations, devils and demons, but you can allow your green steel to cover that.

'Radiance' is a weapon effect that blinds the target when you get a critical hit. Since blind targets are vulnerable to sneak attacks, it's a favorite rogue effect. Note that you shouldn't confuse this with the light damage boosting effect, also named 'Radiance'.

The Blinding radiance effect doesn't show up on non-epic random weapons. I think the only low level source of radiance is T3 Fire + Positive weapons (usually called Rad2).

There's also the Sirocco effect, found on the named longsword Sirocco and on the elemental rapier of air (lvl 16 or epic version).

Also keep and eye out for items that have deception.improved deception on them, so that you aren't as limited in your weapon choices. Ones I can think of: Ring of Lies, Backstabbers gloves, golden guile, and the Seal of House Avithoul.

Community Member

The radiance weapons you are talking about are only available after some high level raiding (in the Shroud). They are not going to help you right now.

A somewhat easy general purpose weapon to pick up is Sheridan's Ruin - http://ddowiki.com/page/Sheridan%27s_Ruin. It's a quest reward at the end of Sorrowdusk (which can get tricky to solo - but a cleric hire should get you through the last quests).

The two weapons mentioned earlier (Flint and Zephyr) are both now level 10 and drop from rare chests in the Sands of Menechtarun. They are nice for dex based rogues because they can use dex for the damage bonus as well as the attack bonus. Keep it mind that it might take a few ransacks to find them. The drops in the desert are pretty darn rare, but the runs are relatively easy. You can run past a lot of the gnolls on the way to the rares.

Good luck! If you are on Sarona, I'd be happy to do some desert runs with you. I love that zone.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jingwei View Post
    Also keep and eye out for items that have deception.improved deception on them, so that you aren't as limited in your weapon choices. Ones I can think of: Ring of Lies, Backstabbers gloves, golden guile, and the Seal of House Avithoul.
    This is good advice, but the only one of these that is really practical any time soon is the Backstabber's Gloves. The lowest level of them is usable at level 12, and can be picked up off the Auction House. Golden Guile comes from 'The Lords of Dust' quest, and will likely be one of the best things for you to go after at level 17.

You can get Destruction on armor as well. There are not very many situations in normal quests where this is very useful, but when you are up against a boss with Fortification ever bit of reduction to that helps out your sneak attacking.

If you have a higher level character, farming The Shroud for Ingredients to make a Radiance II weapon will be entirely game changing for you. If you make it a Rapier (probably the best choice currently) or Kukri (becomes very strong with the updated Rogue Assassin tree, can use Master's Touch scrolls on it until then) it will give you a 30% chance to blind your target, making them die very quickly after that to your sneak attack damage. I really wouldn't go through the hassle of soloing a pure rogue without having a set of these in advance. It really does change everything.

Aside from that, it sounds like you pretty much already know the basics. Using an 'of Deception' weapon lets you get that sneak attack in. You mentioned Deception procs and Cleaves; it is rather annoying that if you are behind them and it goes off they turn to face you. One way around this is to stand at about 120' around them from whoever has agro, rather than 180'. If you find the sweet spot position here this will leave you outside of normal Cleaves, and then when they spin around you can take a small side step and be back outside of their Cleave area once more.
    Last edited by ForumAccess; 06-11-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty-blimp View Post
    I'm already avoiding undead heavy quests when a group isn't available.
    Without knowing much about your build, I will make some observations regarding undead.

There are essentially three types that you need to be concerned with -- skeletons and their ilk, zombies and similar fleshy types, and wraiths and other incorporeals.

For skeletons and their ilk you want blunt weapons with the disruption suffix. Holy or holy burst as a prefix is also desireable. If you are STR based a quarterstaff with these properties is handy. If you are DEX based a pair of light maces works best.

For zombies and similar fleshy types you want slashing weapons. Like with skeletons having the holy or holy burst prefix and disruption suffix is what you are looking for. If you are an elf then you could look at scimitars or falchions. If not then kukris and sickles are your best bet.

For wraiths and other incorporeals you want ghost touched weapons. You also want weapons with the same prefix/suffix combination as for other undead. That is a problem -- since ghost touch is also a prefix. The solution is to find n item that gives you ghost touch.

In all cases don't worry about the damage portion so much as the effects. Make sure to choose a weapon type that you can hit with. The bonus damage from extra damage dice will compensate for any loss of damage from not being able to get full STR or DEX modifiers to damage.

Community Member EnjoyTheJourney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty-blimp View Post
    Hey, just looking for some pointers/answers to a few questions.

I've been levelling my pure rogue for a bit now, level 9 at the moment, and, as expected, the higher I get the more difficult soloing becomes - I'm already avoiding undead heavy quests when a group isn't available. Bluff, while incredibly reliable, is a fairly limited way of dealing with *all* the occupants of a dungeon due to its cooldown At the moment I've generally been alternating between Flaming/Lacerating weapons and the occasional DR beater- are there any particularly good named weapons around my level that don't drop in raids (I'm VIP, not a khopesh build)?

I've also played around with some deception weapons, while I love the proc itself I've found it becoming a little dangerous during elite quests when the enemies involved cleave or, even worse, perform cleave combo attacks. I've had a look around and constantly hear about Radiant/Radiant II weapons, are they a massive improvement when soloing? Found absolutely no information as to what it is they actually do :P

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm comfortable soloing quests above my level if that's where I can expect to find the best level appropriate weapons. I have a Desert Sand Dag of Deception for level 10 but I'm sure there must be far better items available.
    I'm also running a solo rogue assassin right now (level 8), and dealing with the same challenges.

Crafting can help you fill in a few blanks. Here are a few combinations that you can work with for undead (all recipes bound, no special item level reduction steps need to be taken for what's below)

1. +2 ghost touched <weapon> of undead bane (level 9 requirement)
    2. +1 holy <weapon> of undead bane (level 9 requirement, if you hit OK with this)
    3. +2 holy <weapon> of lesser undead bane (level 9 requirement)

... and you can work up from there to greater undead bane, etc, in weapons you create, as you level.

For oozes and such, here are a couple of crafts for your current level (handwraps are a good choice, for this):

1. +1 <weapon> of greater ooze bane (level 9 requirement)
    2. +3 <weapon> of ooze bane (level 9 requirement)

You can check out what can be crafted by playing around with the crafting planner that can be found here:

http://cannith.cubicleninja.com/

Hopefully this helps.

This thread here is an excellent resource of weapon recipes that can be done through crafting and should really help you a lot it certainly helped me!

Stoner81.

Community Member EnjoyTheJourney's Avatar

Stoner: The weapon crafting link was very helpful, and thanks for providing it.

I have similar questions to the OP about leveling weapons for a rogue and I've been playing around with the crafting planner.

Is the following combination as deadly as it appears as a solo rogue's boss beater, as one levels up as a crafter?

1. rapier of puncturing (level 3 crafting)
    2. keen rapier of puncturing (add prefix, level 5 minimum)
    3. +2 keen rapier of puncturing (add +2 enchantment, level 9 minimum)

... or would many bosses just be immune to the constitution loss? Would it be good for some other mobs?

No worries glad you like it

Holy of Bleed would probably work better since most things in level 1-9 content are susceptible to it, the only things which are not are things like oozes but you need everbright weapons for those otherwise your weapons end up broken really quickly.

Having said that I have never run a Rogue so don't know what they play like.

Stoner81.

Community Member

No one's mentioned this yet? Undead are immune to Sneak Attacks, AFAIK, so even with Bluff or Deception you're not actually getting any bonus damage against them Same trouble with Constructs and some other Sneak-proof monster classes, since low levels cant easily penetrate 100% Fort.

L10 is the first time you really need to start looking at diversifying your weapon selection. Before that, you just want general-purpose damage mods, except for a few situations like Oozes or Rust Monsters where you need to switch to something that wont get messed up.

At L10, you want to get yourself a Disruption weapon for undead, a Banishing weapon for elementals and outsiders, and a Smiting weapon for constructs, plus a general DPS weapon for everything else. You'll also want a Ghost Touch weapon if you're planning on doing Necropolis, since a whole arc of that is all incorporeal stuff...

For general DPS, crafted weapons work great, with Screaming or Holy for a prefix and Bleed or Pure Good as a suffix. Screaming of Pure Good is probably the most widely versatile, and should work on almost everything, if you're Good aligned and can equip it.

Sometime after L10, you'll want to find either a Rapier (if you're taking IC:Piercing) or a Scimitar/Falchion/Kukri (if you're taking IC:Slashing) with Greater Heartseeker/Bloodletter. That affix, on those weapons, adds a significant average DPS, and its completely untyped and will work against everything, even monsters that are immune to crits.
    Last edited by droid327; 06-16-2013 at 03:32 PM.