Default I seem to be the only one...

...who has this issue:

Whenever a quest completion results in getting mail - from either the store points or patron, happens with both - the game locks up for a solid 2 minutes.

Now, I know it doesn't sound like a long time, but when this happens it's immediatly upon completion. So I can't talk or type to respond to anyone. I can't even see what people type until it unfreezes and catches up, so when people ask things like "what quest is next" or anything else, I essentially seem to be ignoring everyone. It also sucks for things like the Depths chain where one quest leads to another, especially if I'm the "elite opener," not to mention that if it completes while there are still active mobs, they get a full 2 min to beat on me. In a game where we measure damage per secant, 120 secants of free hits that register all at once (when it unfreezes) often kills even my toughest builds.

Nobody I've talked to ingame has this issue, so I thought I'ld ask here; does anyone else have this problem?

It's 100% consistent, every time I get mail from completion, for ~2 minutes.
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 06-07-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    ...who has this issue:

Whenever a quest completion results in getting mail - from either the store points or patron, happens with both - the game locks up for a solid 2 minutes.

Now, I know it doesn't sound like a long time, but when this happens it's immediatly upon completion. So I can't talk or type to respond to anyone. I can't even see what people type until it unfreezes and catches up, so when people ask things like "what quest is next" or anything else, I essentially seem to be ignoring everyone. It also sucks for things like the Depths chain where one quest leads to another, especially if I'm the "elite opener," not to mention that if it completes while there are still active mobs, they get a full 2 min to beat on me. In a game where we measure damage per secant, 120 secants of free hits that register all at once (when it unfreezes) often kills even my toughest builds.

Nobody I've talked to ingame has this issue, so I thought old ask here; does anyone else have this problem?

It's 100% consistent, every time I get mail from completion, for ~2 minutes.
    2 mins? Are you exagerrating? I'm serious because I've seen the game hiccup on this but usually only for about 5 secs.

Ya it happens to me as well, not 2 min but a good 20-30 secs. Happens every-time I hit multiples of 100 favor
    Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    I ran Where there is Smoke ELITE on a level 4, first life 28 hit point rogue, never TRd, no guild buffs, using a hireling cleric. One shotted two times at the first dog area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesrali View Post
    Go munt your grandma while wearing my freeway mitt!
    Main toons on G-land: IronMunter, Iamhal, Mehhh, Dahh

Community Member

I have this issue as well on one of my computers. In my case, the reason for it is tied to having an extremely low amount of RAM. Not sure if this is the same thing causing the described behavior, but you can find out by running a system resource monitor.

To those with longer delay's what os are you running? If it is a ram issue you might be able to "fix" the issue with a few system tweaks. My computer only has 4gb of ram and it runs fine, but I've also tweaked a lot of windows resources so they eat minimal resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    2 mins? Are you exagerrating? I'm serious because I've seen the game hiccup on this but usually only for about 5 secs.
    I wish. Elapsed time determined by the change in buff timers.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Here are some basic changes to windows 7 that may help if it is resource related

http://www.computingunleashed.com/sp...-guide-to.html

It goes over most everything that might need to be done to decrease windows resources in a fairly user friendly way. It's worth a shot if you are having issues and haven't done this.

Community Member

To those with longer delay's what os are you running? If it is a ram issue you might be able to "fix" the issue with a few system tweaks. My computer only has 4gb of ram and it runs fine, but I've also tweaked a lot of windows resources so they eat minimal resources.
    When I said that I had low RAM, I mean ~really~ low. As in a Windows XP machine with only 2 gigs. I do not know if that is even meeting minimum system requirements any more. Typically when I used to launch DDO on that computer it was simply to get my third account flagged as an opener for quests.

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAccess View Post
    When I said that I had low RAM, I mean ~really~ low. As in a Windows XP machine with only 2 gigs. I do not know if that is even meeting minimum system requirements any more. Typically when I used to launch DDO on that computer it was simply to get my third account flagged as an opener for quests.
    Ah ok, yeah that's probably a big part of it then. While ddo's official requirements are lower than that, they probably shouldn't be as that's a fairly obsolete machine.

Idle thought but I don't think they increased the system reqs with the havok physics engine change even though I'm fairly sure havok takes a little more resources than whatever they used to use.

WinXP Pro. (32 bit)

Granted my pc is an older one. I honestly only have it to play this. I'm a Mac user, and the Mac client A) didn't exist when I started and Wine etc. was a pita to get working; and B) lol even my Mac is just old enough it can't run the DDO Mac client.

I've run the sys resource monitor during a few of these episodes, neither the CPU nor ram is being highly taxed. I can litterally hear the HDD churning away furiously, but have no idea how it's related. Swap file usage maybe? Idk, "tech savy" is not a term people would use to describe me

System stats:
    P4 2.6 ghz
    3 Meg ram
    750 gig HDD @ 10k rpm

Lol I know, right? Here, let me say it for you: "get a new system!"
    Sadly, that is simply not a financial option. I know stepping up to a solid state drive will help with load screens etc, but I'm having trouble justifying the cost just to play a game a little smoother.

Issue started ~a couple months ago, but *not noticeably timed with any update/patch/hot fix.

edit*
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 06-07-2013 at 05:46 PM.

WinXP Pro. (32 bit)

Granted my pc is an older one. I honestly only have it to play this. I'm a Mac user, and the Mac client A) didn't exist when I started and Wine etc. was a pita to get working; and B) lol even my Mac is just old enough it can't run the DDO Mac client.

I've run the sys resource monitor during a few of these episodes, neither the CPU nor ram is being highly taxed. I can litterally hear the HDD churning away furiously, but have no idea how it's related. Swap file usage maybe? Idk, "tech savy" is not a term people would use to describe me

System stats:
    P4 2.6 ghz
    3 Meg ram
    750 gig HDD @ 10k rpm

Lol I know, right? Here, let me say it for you: "get a new system!"
    Sadly, that is simply not a financial option. I know stepping up to a solid state drive will help with load screens etc, but I'm having trouble justifying the cost just to play a game a little smoother.

Issue started ~a couple months ago, but noticeably timed with any update/patch/hot fix.
    Try this

http://www.blackviper.com/2002/04/17...-super-tweaks/

The main one is the indexing and the pagefile stuff.

It is my firm belief that you will run into problems with this setup as while officially ddo's system reqs are lower, they probably shouldn't be as it just does not seem to run well at all on less than a 64 bit system. That said I understand not being able to afford a new computer. Give some of the tweaks a try and make sure you don't have anything running in the background behind ddo.

Try this
    Thanx & will do!

I have the same suspicions, already running STD Rez package, and other than this issue the game is smooth, even in the underdark. Only other place I have noticeable performance issues is in raid environments when there's lots of commotion on the screen at once, but the cause for that isn't a mystery to me

Oh, and another thank you for the first sig-worthy quote I've come accross!

Community Member

You're not the only one. Had no problems up until a few months ago. Now i get sporadic completions that lock me up completely for a good minute plus. I play on an older machine running XP as well.

I haven't taken a super close look at things as i'm not tech savy.

I do know that if my talk key is pushed when the freeze happens that my mic stays open until i'm unlocked [ya, embarrasing story there!] If there's still trash around, it can/will kill me.

My computer can play the game well enough in 90% of situations - i just chock this up to an old game, with old code and a company who needs to push out new stuff to keep people interested instead of fixing old stuff that bothers only some people.

I will take a look at that black viper link and see if it can help.

Pixma

Quote Originally Posted by Iaga View Post
    I do know that if my talk key is pushed when the freeze happens that my mic stays open until i'm unlocked [ya, embarrasing story there!]...
    Lol, ditto! Though I actually prefer getting stuck with the "hot mic" so I can at least let people know what's up.

Ok, seems unanimous that those of us who experience this are all on older hardware w/win xp (no big surprise, tbh). Not at home to try the info in the link, will update thread tonight when I do.

Any thoughts on why this would be tied so specifically to receiving favor mail? That's the part that really boggles me...

Community Member

Any thoughts on why this would be tied so specifically to receiving favor mail? That's the part that really boggles me...
    I have the same thing (2 minute lag) when I hit the 100 favor threshold, but only when I happen to hit the threshold when dual boxing something. If I am running a single client, its only a few seconds.

I have Vista btw, so its not operating system specific. Its purely RAM/hard drive contention as whatever additional processing occurs consumes the last of your available RAM, and you then start to furiously page to your hard drive.

I used to think it was mail, but I am starting to believe it is the store getting updated with your additional 25 Turbine points. I got skunked on Turbine points recently when I hit the 100 favor threshold dual boxed, and the lag was almost non-existent.

Community Member

If we only knew the wear and tear DDO has inflicted on our systems..