Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Interesting. For full disclosure I play on an hp pavilion g6 note book with an i3 mobile processor and 4gb ram, intel hd graphics chip. I frequently dual box for ed farming with nircmd. I have yet to encounter a decrease in performance that I can notice. If as some are saying it is related to hard drive usage with the page file, my question have you disabled windows search and indexing? That thing sucks up massive hard drive usage and I can see that maybe causing issues with the awesomium processes using the page file at the same time.

No, I have not disabled them. I just upgraded my OS from win7 32 to win7 64, added 4 gigs ram (8 total), my SSD/HD(not sure which one I bought when we built this machine) is only at 27% used memory (73% free space on it) Running a Zotac 1 gig video card (just upgraded to it from an Asus about a year ago) Still running the dual core E7500 intel cpu on an Asus PQ5-pro motherboard. with about 8 loud oversized cooling fans and a water cooled cpu tower.

You might be right, because forever and a day now when I select my character (even before awesomium) I get (not responding) in the window tab as the game tries to load me, I always have to minimize the client to get it to actually load. This is an *ALWAYS* deal for me since I started playing the game though, so I just never have complained about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post
    It affects my system. I tend to dual/tri box a bit and I actually had to block Awesomium in my AVP itself due to the multi spawning.
    Multiboxing, while cool, isn't supported so you are on your own.

Communication. Please can some sort of official that knows what they are talking about address this for us? Is it SUPPOSED to spawn 7 to 12 processes per game client? As long as it does, it will remain blocked on my end, I just have to remember not to hit ctrl+s or I crash the game and get the screwed up gamma on my desktop.
    http://answers.awesomium.com/questio...do-client.html

As expected, Awesomium is blaming Turbine.

Emm... given the link wording, I'm betting that the Turbine filters are going to bite it. So people will have to correct it on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    my question have you disabled windows search and indexing? That thing sucks up massive hard drive usage and I can see that maybe causing issues with the awesomium processes using the page file at the same time.
    I've always hated that fraking service.

However, some people are having the issue that one of the awjunk spikes so hard, it pauses the computer (or at least graphic work) for a few seconds like clockwork. I don't know if the indexing service would have a hand in that or not.

No, I have not disabled them. I just upgraded my OS from win7 32 to win7 64, added 4 gigs ram (8 total), my SSD/HD(not sure which one I bought when we built this machine) is only at 27% used memory (73% free space on it) Running a Zotac 1 gig video card (just upgraded to it from an Asus about a year ago) Still running the dual core E7500 intel cpu on an Asus PQ5-pro motherboard. with about 8 loud oversized cooling fans and a water cooled cpu tower.

You might be right, because forever and a day now when I select my character (even before awesomium) I get (not responding) in the window tab as the game tries to load me, I always have to minimize the client to get it to actually load. This is an *ALWAYS* deal for me since I started playing the game though, so I just never have complained about it.
    Holy moly gorgonzoly (props to anyone who recognizes that without the aid of google) Your box puts my little P4 2.6 w/3Gram & a 512mg 8x agp ATI card in perspective... Yet oddly enough I have only 2 noticeable performance issues: kinda longish load screens & the "favor/points mail" issue I mentioned in the other thread. Granted, I don't dual box; but I always kinda scratch my head a bit when people with boxes that far out stripe mine have more significant performance issues. The awesomomium (sp?) issue hasn't effected me at all. When I heard about it I checked, and yah I had 7 instances going so I disabled them & had no noticeable performance change, unless I tried to open the store. Now I just leave the processes running.

To Charononus: I followed the instructions in the link you provided, just haven't hit a favor mark to see how/if it helps... Stay tuned...
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 06-09-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    However, some people are having the issue that one of the awjunk spikes so hard, it pauses the computer (or at least graphic work) for a few seconds like clockwork. I don't know if the indexing service would have a hand in that or not.
    I can verify that Awesomium does seem to cause noticeable increase in load, here.
    Not that I can't cope with it, but this is a laptop and the keyboard stays a few degrees warmer... oh and the CPU temperature graph shows it too.

Oh, and it does get easier if, after starting the game, you go and lower those processes' priority manually. Shouldn't stop the store from working, merely slow it down a bit... and if you're buying stuff you're probably not in the middle of a fight anyway.

Haven't been bothered enough to automate that thing with priorities but it shouldn't take much coding for Turbine to implement that in a patch, if...

Funnily enough, running in Linux instead of Windows, Awesomium doesn't seem to cause as much additional load ;-) or maybe the Linux VM subsystem can cope with it better, even with the extra layers for compatibility?

Community Member

As expected, Awesomium is blaming Turbine.
    Well, of course they are.

Any time someone opts to use a tool, that person (or company) is responsible for ensuring the suitability of the tool for the purpose for which it will be used. If I decide to use a gardening spade to eat my soup, that's my fault. In my defense, the gardening spade sorta looks like a spoon...

Awesomium can't be expected to understand every possible context their tool could be used.

Did Awesomium suddenly start spinning off 7 processes per client instance unexpectedly, or did Turbine change its code to do so? If Awesomium made the change unilaterally, then I can see cutting Turbine some slack. Still, it seemed to coincide with Update 18, Patch 1, which does kind of imply that Turbine wasn't caught totally unaware.

If Turbine changed its code, did they performance benchmark the changes against the stated minimum hardware requirements for running the game? I'm not sure whether Turbine lumps performance bench marking under QA or some other part of the organization. Since MajMal is in the thread, perhaps he can shed some light on

1) how this all transpired
    2) who was responsible for validating the performance suitability of what we are seeing

Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    If Turbine changed its code...
    During U17, Turbine was using 2 or 3 awesume .DLLs as I recall seeing. It was not using .EXE.

I stumbled into it shortly before 18 came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Phemt81 View Post
    Major is posting again! Woot!

Now that we broke some ice again after a long time, could you command your slave hamsters to fix the ugly bug of poison traps? They will work like they always used to right?

Thank you.
    i kinda like the traps the way they are. no longer a trap you can just run through and ignore. Maybe scale the damage down a little. this is the one thing i love about traps. they're suppose to be deadly not lets run through everyone of them and ignore it like its never there.

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    i kinda like the traps the way they are. no longer a trap you can just run through and ignore. Maybe scale the damage down a little. this is the one thing i love about traps. they're suppose to be deadly not lets run through everyone of them and ignore it like its never there.
    I bet druid players love the treant form nowadays but that doesn't mean it is working like it should or it is balanced compared to other EDs.

You are also saying by yourself that they need to "scale the damage down". So, you basically agree with me they are not working properly at the moment.
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Urist View Post
    I suspect you misunderstood what MajMal was meaning.
    The enhancements were put on Lamannia to test, and it was specifically stated that it was not final, and that they were trying to test specific aspects. I know very well that it's next to impossible to herd cats, unless you give them very few options as to which way to go. If I understand correctly, this is what MajMal was referring to. To paraphrase:

"The screws were tightened with the last deployment on purpose to focus/railroad people into testing single trees. We of course know that a large % of players multi-class, and that is in the design of the overall system, which hasn't been previewed/tested in full on Lam yet because we wanted better data on some more restricted scenarios first, but which you can check out soon."
    I agree and what seems painfully obvious to you and I serves as an excellent example of why Dev's do not post much after their initial forum honeymoon.

You just can't post anything in a conversational way without someone who is predisposed to negativity parsing it overly literal and often deliberately obtuse or dishonest to push their stance that Turbine as incompetent/malicious. It's also notable that anything they say will become "he promised" at some point.

Conversations require at least the slightest benefit of the doubt given to them. There so many people here that are totally unwilling to give it, that its a no win for Dev's who probably don't want to go over every post with a fine tooth comb to edit the parts the "haters" will latch on to and nit pick.

Not fun and probably 90% of the reason Dev's so rarely post, let alone hold a continued dialog and actually respond to more than one question, as the Major has here.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    It is a scary large number, which I’m a jerk and I’m not going to share, but it is more than 14 mountains in the world are high in meters.
    I'd be more impressed if you said there were ONLY 14 mountains in the world that were higher, in meters....being the 15th lowest mountain in the world isnt exactly a soaring achievement....

I have no questions lately about handwraps…slackers.
    I think we have been conditioned to understand that handwraps will *never* get fixed.
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • One loot system to rule them all. (Including Cannith Crafting, and Named Loot.)
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Adjusting Challenge XP so that they're worth running more than once.

Community Member

Thank you for taking the time to write your post and respond multiple times.

My biggest concern with the enhancement pass is that my character will be less optimal and i may want to change my class mix and even race. I am not too concerned with whatever balancing the devs believe is necessary, but i just want to make sure i can respec my character and i fear a free lesser reincarnation may not be enough.

If would be great if you provided a free lesser option that let us change race in addition to some class changes so we can respec as needed if our builds are nerfed.

i would also like to see the balance problems between small and large guilds addressed soon. i can't think of a single thing in this game that generates more frustration than decay.

DDO Producer

We use Awesomium as our embedded browser. Just like Google Chrome, it creates child processes for robustness, so if one browser instance crashes, it shouldn’t crash the entire game client. In the past, we’ve had Awesomium set to run in single-process mode inside of our game to reduce confusion about the external processes. However, we discovered a bug where the browser (and by extension, the web store) would stop working if the URL got too long and we were running Awesomium in single-process mode. So we switched it to multi-process mode to address this issue. The browser is consuming the same amount of resources as before, it’s just doing it in separate processes instead of all being rolled into dndclient.exe. Using the task manager to kill the awesomium processes will crash your game client.

We use Awesomium as our embedded browser. Just like Google Chrome, it creates child processes for robustness, so if one browser instance crashes, it shouldn’t crash the entire game client. In the past, we’ve had Awesomium set to run in single-process mode inside of our game to reduce confusion about the external processes. However, we discovered a bug where the browser (and by extension, the web store) would stop working if the URL got too long and we were running Awesomium in single-process mode. So we switched it to multi-process mode to address this issue. The browser is consuming the same amount of resources as before, it’s just doing it in separate processes instead of all being rolled into dndclient.exe. Using the task manager to kill the awesomium processes will crash your game client.
    And the return fire of blame!

BTW, multi boxers will disagree with you, as will people who keep getting client lag due to one of the instances of the junk freezing the system like clockwork.

I do hope whomever made that thread over in awesome will update it with Turbine's response.

2016 DDO Players Council kinggartk's Avatar

Using the task manager to kill the awesomium processes will crash your game client.
    That is incorrect. I kill it everytime I log on and it does nothing but make my system run smoother. It has never made my client crash.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    That is incorrect. I kill it everytime I log on and it does nothing but make my system run smoother. It has never made my client crash.
    Don't try to use anything that uses the in game web browser such as open a ticket or hit up the ddo store and you should be fine.

Try doing so when no such process is running and chances are very likely you'll crash.

2016 DDO Players Council kinggartk's Avatar

Don't try to use anything that uses the in game web browser such as open a ticket or hit up the ddo store and you should be fine.

Try doing so when no such process is running and chances are very likely you'll crash.
    I have tried to use the DDO store and it just takes me to a white screen (in a seperate window) which I can just close out. No client crash.

Community Member

Using the task manager to kill the awesomium processes will crash your game client.

Firstly, thank you for doing the community representatives job and posting something ANYTHING about this subject.

You are correct here, but only to a point. I have blocked Awesomium in my AVP. Period. I can play the game just fine. I do not crash any more and no less than I normally do after too many character swaps/zone in-out issues you already know about.

The ONLY TIME the game crashes on me while Awesomium is being blocked is if I attempt to use the DDO store in game.

This just means that I don't use the DDO store is all. Not even for the free weekly sample now. Not worth it.

And I also dispute the fact that is uses the same system resources. I have never had any major lag issues, just an occasional hiccup, but once I only became aware of awesomium when I was getting chronic slowness from the game. Closing awesomium made the game run normal for me. Even if what you say is true, killing awesomium killed my problems, so Awesomium is by default the problem as far as I am concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Community Member

I find this strange as the first thing I do on logging in is call up task manager, find the awesomium process that spikes my processor to 100% every 6 seconds, using more than everything else combined, and kill it. The game runs fine and if it did crash it really wouldn't be any worse than not playing due to hitching every six seconds anyway.

Here's the thing. I don't care if it's a problem with your product or a problem with your product interacting with my computer. If it doesn't work for me I simply wont be using it.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast