Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Good Info

Thanks for the info Major Mal. In fact, I think you deserve a promotion.

By the power invested in me by absolutely no one, I hereby promote you to Lt. Col. Mal.

Perhaps one day you can aspire to be Maj Gen Mal!

Quote Originally Posted by Texlaw1992 View Post
    Thanks for the info Major Mal. In fact, I think you deserve a promotion.

By the power invested in me by absolutely no one, I hereby promote you to Lt. Col. Mal.

Perhaps one day you can aspire to be Maj Gen Mal!
    but he would then have to be able to sing this .... without messing up ....

Last edited by Theolin; 06-08-2013 at 04:01 PM.

The best time of the week has finally come... back!

Any insight information about Cormyrian armors and shields from the FR challenges getting a little boost? Like, 4 random properties like the weapons and planeforged material like proper min. lv. 24 items, for example.

Maj:

Just had to post to say that I am SO INCREDIBLY STOKED that you are sharing updates with the community again. If you must, keep at it with posts like the OP, and forget what the rest of us morons have to say.

It really pleases me to once again have a sort of inside line into the development process to our game. I especially dug the part where you guys rap about game potentials while you're nuking your lunch.

Welcome back!

Still amazes me how Maj can put up with all the trolling....

No wonder most of us get so excited when he posts

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    yeah this. i love when people read things like we sit here and actively just screw with you guys as a side activity. if i was going to mess with players, i would do it as a game system and they would have no idea that i was messing with them...as a good DM's do...
    Maj, of course you know this is quote worthy, And I can't pass this op up

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    "I like pie. Pie is delicious." "You know, cake is better", and a sudden nerf gun war breaks out because Pie is supreme. Then someone says, "What about dinner?"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kadriel View Post
    Still amazes me how Maj can put up with all the trolling....
    Really? Are you reading the same thread that I am? There is so much smooching of behind going on, someone is going to have to run off to the local drugstore soon to buy him some lotion for his chapped skin.

People are even giving him a free pass for the latest QA boondoggles. If you really need an example: Update 18, Patch 1, Launcher/Invoker infinite loop, which broke the install so badly that people either had to

1) hand patch their install directories
    2) reinstall the entire game

It apparently showed up on Lammania and was reported, and could have been checked for on the patch build simply by logging in a client, logging off, and then trying to log back in again. It was fixed after a few hours of down time after it starting breaking everyone on live, so it seems unlikely that it couldn't have been slid into the patch, rather than the patch for the patch.

The reality is that anyone with that kind of job performance should be pretty happy about the reception MajMal is getting here. On the other hand, if you have a job where you do the same quality of work, and you get a better reception than MajMal has, then by all means please share the details. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the workforce would like to apply for any openings.
    Last edited by GermanicusMaximus; 06-08-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Community Member

How about the momentum swing bug where you get the animation but no damage? It really guts dreadnought.

Sad to hear there's not going to be any cannith crafting update. It's frustrating how quickly old systems get abandoned in an incomplete state.

Please reconsider raising the level cap again leaving all the current systems in half baked state and instead doing some minor tweaks to make older stuff relevant (cannith crafting, shard/seal/scroll, alchemical (LoB) crafting, ToD sets).
    Gildus, Sabathiel, Einion, Yhvain

Cannith

Major is posting again! Woot!

Now that we broke some ice again after a long time, could you command your slave hamsters to fix the ugly bug of poison traps? They will work like they always used to right?

Thank you.
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

There is almost 1000 issues/suggestions/ideas reported with the Enhancement revamp in the past 6 months. Designers are taking this revamp very seriously, and all the concerns that the player base has voiced has been talked about in meetings, in the trenches and lunch tables for over a year. We know about the successes and failures of other companies doing what we are thinking here.
    The screws were tightened with the last deployment on purpose to focus/railroad people into single trees...we of course know that a large % of players multi-class, and that is in the design of the system...as you can check out soon.
    It is my hope that most of the functionality bugs will be addressed before we go out for the second peek...and a month is a good ammount of time to react, considering how everything else is going for the xpack at this point. I have total faith in the system designers that are working on the enhancements...both came from my team once upon a time and I have a nose for talent.
    This is great news

Thank you!

DDO Producer

Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    Really? Are you reading the same thread that I am? There is so much smooching of behind going on, someone is going to have to run off to the local drugstore soon to buy him some lotion for his chapped skin.

People are even giving him a free pass for the latest QA boondoggles. If you really need an example: Update 18, Patch 1, Launcher/Invoker infinite loop, which broke the install so badly that people either had to

1) hand patch their install directories
    2) reinstall the entire game

It apparently showed up on Lammania and was reported, and could have been checked for on the patch build simply by logging in a client, logging off, and then trying to log back in again. It was fixed after a few hours of down time after it starting breaking everyone on live, so it seems unlikely that it couldn't have been slid into the patch, rather than the patch for the patch.

The reality is that anyone with that kind of job performance should be pretty happy about the reception MajMal is getting here. On the other hand, if you have a job where you do the same quality of work, and you get a better reception than MajMal has, then by all means please share the details. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the workforce would like to apply for any openings.
    Yep missed that one. It was found fixed, and then a single file was not packaged correctly, and slipped through our process. The good news for me is this has caused an upgrade to more closely match live, which makes me extremely happy. Sometimes good things do come out of train wrecks. Not including Super 8....

So what's the deal with the awesonium processes and how it's corrupting everyone's game performance?
    Turbine has been mum on this issue, and it's getting on a lot of people's nerves.

"I like pie. Pie is delicious." "You know, cake is better", and a sudden nerf gun war breaks out because Pie is supreme. Then someone says, "What about dinner?"

About the ToD sets, while you say they will be upgraded somewhere in the distant future, is there any chance we could have a patch to make them BtA or lower the ML requirements to make them more useful and balanced with the current named items at our disposal?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Community Member Thumbed_Servant's Avatar

Must agree with GermanicusMaximus that Patch 18.1 was a ...fiasco? I ask, Turbine do you all test your updates by first updating an in-house server and then having testers load into the server with various and different computers and play the game? The patch 18.1 bug would have been caught EASILY if that kind of testing were done.

To compound that, and I appreciated Cordovan's voice on the forums, but his first replies to people posting on the forums that fateful morning was that THEY, the CUSTOMERS needed to perform workarounds on their own: ONLY when enough players chimed in that they too were having the same issue did Cordovan then reply that Turbine was aware and looking into it. I for one did not appreciate seeing a knee jerk "fix it yourself" response to a problem that was caused by some sloppy work on Turbines part. AND then many of us had to go into our files later and do file swapping to get the game to work after the patch that patched the patch. I just can't imagine many people going to a mechanic, having engine work done, arriving to pick up the car and finding it will not start and then being told by the mechanic that they the customer need only go under the hood, switch some wires and all will be fine.

After this very very poor day of performance, we should have seen an a-p-o-l-o-g-y letter. I play the game, I enjoy the game, I know that there is much work behind the scenes that I know nothing about, and it IS a business that must make profit...but in my humble opinion the patch 18.1 debacle was the worst performance and attitude towards the player base that I have seen since I started playing in 9/2009.

Now that I've said that, I will say thank you to MajMalphunction for coming out and responding today and the mea culpa, and thank you to Cordovan for all his work in the forums. Yes, it is Cordovan's job to be the face person for Turbine, yet he usually does it with seemingly sincere care for his customers, us, and our concerns and feelings.

Thumbed_Servant, aka Hildegarde, Muhther, and more on Argonnessen
    Last edited by Thumbed_Servant; 06-09-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    Thumbed_Servant (to 3 cats ) I LOVE playing a healer (nannybot to the derisive folks)
    Leader: Order of Sunlit Rose on Argonnessen server
    Current active toons: Hildegarde 22 clr/ Pixsie 20 rog/ Muhther25 clr/ Sheolah 2-14 multi(rog/wiz)/ Heidie 2-7multi(rgr/clr)/ Grindhaus 23 ftr/ Slashira 20 ftr/ Commandur 11 clr

Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post

People are even giving him a free pass for the latest QA boondoggles.
    I don't agree with Maj most of the time, but I do respect him; Maj is communicating and TRYING to listen between all the chaff (yes, on both sets of cheeks).
    He deserves the recognition for responding publically more than their senior management. Anytime there is a big snafu, the senior management should come out and apologize...and never do.
    Maj has come out more than once and said mea culpa on behalf of his department - even if it wasn't his fault.

The game is going the wrong way, but that isn't (entirely ) his fault.

Some free advice to Turbine senior management: Stick to the basics of D&D and work on the quality. Recent Devs have been trying to introduce stuff that is "popular" in other games. How would that attract people from those games if players have that function in a game where they are invested? Here, you are abandoning / revamping things so much that people have barely anything left that is "invested". It makes it easier for players to move to another game. One of your most popular items was F2P - and it wasn't in most of those other games. Now, those games have adopted it without sacrificing the core of how their current community plays. What is left? The ruleset and world of D&D - they are not allowed to use it from the books. Don't keep sacrificing what is unique to your game.
    Oh, that's easy. I didn't farm them. I just cheated. -Meghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    lol, I didnt give it a QA pass.

Community Member Thumbed_Servant's Avatar

I do want to say to MajMalphunction...please keep the weekly updates coming now that you are back to posting them. I sincerely appreciate the information and the insights, and I think it shows a personal caring on his part (and thus on Turbine's part) for us, the customer base.

Thumbed_Servant (now going to serve my thumb-less feline companions)
    Thumbed_Servant (to 3 cats ) I LOVE playing a healer (nannybot to the derisive folks)
    Leader: Order of Sunlit Rose on Argonnessen server
    Current active toons: Hildegarde 22 clr/ Pixsie 20 rog/ Muhther25 clr/ Sheolah 2-14 multi(rog/wiz)/ Heidie 2-7multi(rgr/clr)/ Grindhaus 23 ftr/ Slashira 20 ftr/ Commandur 11 clr

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post
    So what's the deal with the awesonium processes and how it's corrupting everyone's game performance?
    Turbine has been mum on this issue, and it's getting on a lot of people's nerves.
    Answer: WAI saddly. (no, I'm not joking. Per Awjunk, they have one "core" running for each thread.) Turbine licensed this junk, as have many other MMOs. There isn't much Turbine can do at this stage other than to report it to Awjunk and pray they fix it.

Note I said "isn't much". Because before they could rip it out, they'd have to verify a different method would work first. It just isn't a pleasant position to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post
    Is it really effecting your system? I ask because I do not have a top of the line computer and I can still not see a difference in performance. If it is effecting your system, my guess is that you probably have a very old system. It may be worth in that case looking up some tweaks to lower your system usage and increase performance.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Is it really effecting your system? I ask because I do not have a top of the line computer and I can still not see a difference in performance. If it is effecting your system, my guess is that you probably have a very old system. It may be worth in that case looking up some tweaks to lower your system usage and increase performance.

It affects my system. I tend to dual/tri box a bit and I actually had to block Awesomium in my AVP itself due to the multi spawning.

I could log into the game on 2 accounts just fine, and get to character selection just fine (with only 4 of the processes running, 2 per account) but once I choose my character, it instantly spawns another 5+ processes per open client and took roughly 20 minutes to get 1 character from each account to actually spawn in the game.

One thing that is really, really bothering me is the number of threads started on this subject, and not one single response from any DDO staff on the subject.

Communication. Please can some sort of official that knows what they are talking about address this for us? Is it SUPPOSED to spawn 7 to 12 processes per game client? As long as it does, it will remain blocked on my end, I just have to remember not to hit ctrl+s or I crash the game and get the screwed up gamma on my desktop.

My machine is not brand new only a few years old, but I have way more memory on all counts than I need for running anything I would want to run, and I do upgrade things inside from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post
    It affects my system. I tend to dual/tri box a bit and I actually had to block Awesomium in my AVP itself due to the multi spawning.

I could log into the game on 2 accounts just fine, and get to character selection just fine (with only 4 of the processes running, 2 per account) but once I choose my character, it instantly spawns another 5+ processes per open client and took roughly 20 minutes to get 1 character from each account to actually spawn in the game.

One thing that is really, really bothering me is the number of threads started on this subject, and not one single response from any DDO staff on the subject.

Communication. Please can some sort of official that knows what they are talking about address this for us? Is it SUPPOSED to spawn 7 to 12 processes per game client? As long as it does, it will remain blocked on my end, I just have to remember not to hit ctrl+s or I crash the game and get the screwed up gamma on my desktop.

My machine is not brand new only a few years old, but I have way more memory on all counts than I need for running anything I would want to run, and I do upgrade things inside from time to time.
    Interesting. For full disclosure I play on an hp pavilion g6 note book with an i3 mobile processor and 4gb ram, intel hd graphics chip. I frequently dual box for ed farming with nircmd. I have yet to encounter a decrease in performance that I can notice. If as some are saying it is related to hard drive usage with the page file, my question have you disabled windows search and indexing? That thing sucks up massive hard drive usage and I can see that maybe causing issues with the awesomium processes using the page file at the same time.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast