Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Best reason to not vip

can't buy packs when on sale.

i know this is how its been since how its been.

why punish VIP subscribers by not allowing them to participate in sales ? seriously !?!

Quote Originally Posted by Eilierie View Post

why punish VIP subscribers by not allowing them to participate in sales ? seriously !?!
    They do it so you do not drop your VIP. They like the monthly payers.

Why people stay VIP is beyond me.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post

Well, I like the fact that I can open on elite, I like that I have all races and classes open (I have a lot of alts), I like that I get my weekly gold roll, I like my run speed, I like my xp boost and I like the fact that I can always play new content immediately and not have to worry about having points or dropping money at a certain time. I like that I know 30 bucks (two accounts) is coming out on a set date every month, but I may not have $300 to drop on everything at once. If I lost my VIP, I would lose over half of my toons, I would only have access to a scant few packs (the ones that came with the lower MotU package) and the two expansions. I also like helping out the game I love by ensuring that if nothing else, they're going to get $30 a month from me.

Now, this doesn't mean it's ALL I spend. I buy lots of point packages when I can (usually once a month) to buy other things I like...pets, pots, armor kits, etc etc.

Why people DON'T VIP is beyond me.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Considering the monstrous sense of entitlement most gamers seem to feel anyway, Turbine knows that many gamers like to feel elite--and strangely many seem to feel they're a much better class of gamer simply because they pay a monthly subscription fee and then get to complain whenever the feel they're not given their just desserts.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    Well, I like the fact that I can open on elite, I like that I have all races and classes open (I have a lot of alts), I like that I get my weekly gold roll, I like my run speed, I like my xp boost and I like the fact that I can always play new content immediately and not have to worry about having points or dropping money at a certain time. I like that I know 30 bucks (two accounts) is coming out on a set date every month, but I may not have $300 to drop on everything at once. If I lost my VIP, I would lose over half of my toons, I would only have access to a scant few packs (the ones that came with the lower MotU package) and the two expansions. I also like helping out the game I love by ensuring that if nothing else, they're going to get $30 a month from me.

Now, this doesn't mean it's ALL I spend. I buy lots of point packages when I can (usually once a month) to buy other things I like...pets, pots, armor kits, etc etc.

Why people DON'T VIP is beyond me.
    You could easily spend under $200 to unlock everything. If you plan on playing for at least 2 more years, you break even (100/year sub). This is a cheap price to pay for countless hours of entertainment, but I am not throwing Turbine extra money just because it is the nice thing to do.

LEGION

You could easily spend under $200 to unlock everything. If you plan on playing for at least 2 more years, you break even (100/year sub). This is a cheap price to pay for countless hours of entertainment, but I am not throwing Turbine extra money just because it is the nice thing to do.
    I understand that....but I don't have $400 (two accounts) at any one time to do that, and I don't want to not have stuff available to me. Like I said, I have many reasons for liking my VIP. Money has nothing to do with it.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Quote Originally Posted by waryJerry View Post
    Considering the monstrous sense of entitlement most gamers seem to feel anyway, Turbine knows that many gamers like to feel elite--and strangely many seem to feel they're a much better class of gamer simply because they pay a monthly subscription fee and then get to complain whenever the feel they're not given their just desserts.
    not sure if potato.....

are you saying that VIP should not be allowed to buy quest packs ?

I deactivate my VIP in the summer months because I'm just too busy to play regularly with my job, but I may want to log on and play once in a while without renewing my VIP subscription and have access to certain packs - which I can't buy when they are on sale. Unfair is an understatement.

If that is "just desserts" to you then.... potato....

Me, i just moved to the VIP lounge, and am enjoying life there.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Community Member

If you are truly VIP you dont have a wish to buy packs.
    VIP is for some of us - premium for others - no need to beat that dead horse once again.

It incentivizes them to listen. If we already gave them a lump sum up front we basically gave them carte blanche.

Financially when an unsatisfied VIP leaves its 10 less dollars a month. When an unsatisfied premium leaves, they already got the money they are going to get out of them. If they are unsatisfied and still paying into the system, one of those things isn't true.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

i don't mind spending $120 a year for a VIP sub. i also spend more than that on other things in the store and it varies how much and what i buy. no, not the big P2W stuff. the perks aren't bad for the price, but a couple i could care less about. i do feel trapped in the sub because i have access to almost everything in the game and im not willing to cancel and throw down $200 or so to get everything back. any new packs, races or whatever i would have to pay for if they were something i wanted and im not willing to favor farm for TP. i run those low levels enough as it is and i try to minimize the grind so it doesn't bore me or doesn't feel like work.

for it to be worth it, 2 years is a long time to commit to a game. i have invested 4 years already, but what if 6 months later my last straw is pulled? that was almost the case a little while ago when TR changes were first introduced. it was the closest that i seriously was going to quit the game. i don't agree with everything that Turbine has done with the game and overall i am happy playing. there will always be something that i wont like that gets changed, taken away or added, but as long as i am overall happy, than i will continue paying my sub. i cant control where my money goes, but i can limit how much i spend and what i spend it on since i can technically get everything i want by playing. i show a limited amount of support, even if financially i am spending more than i could be saving.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    It incentivizes them to listen. If we already gave them a lump sum up front we basically gave them carte blanche.

Financially when an unsatisfied VIP leaves its 10 less dollars a month. When an unsatisfied premium leaves, they already got the money they are going to get out of them. If they are unsatisfied and still paying into the system, one of those things isn't true.
    This could be true, but I wonder how many premiums there are out there that have only spent the bare minimum to by packs, races and classes? I know at least of a handful that have done this and only spent otherwise on the expansions (the ones even VIP have to buy). If these people paid $100 2 years ago, they are essentially playing for free. Outside of a spending frenzy last Christmas, this is me.

Maybe, just maybe this is why we are seeing so much P2W in game. Either WB/Turbine is just blood thirsty for our money, or they are trying to recoup for all the leeches in game (like me) that are not spending.

LEGION

Can't argue with you there. VIP makes sense IMO if you are new to the game. and maybe want to level up a couple of characters. By L15-16 of your first char you get vet status so you can skip over all those l1-5 quests that you didn't need to run the first time through with your second character. But there isn't enough new content in VIP for me to pay for more than a 2-3 months. But Solitude is opening its slopes on Friday, so my second character will probably take until season end (april -june) before I care about that. And theres this other MMO that I'll be trying out slated for springtime release...

This could be true, but I wonder how many premiums there are out there that have only spent the bare minimum to by packs, races and classes? I know at least of a handful that have done this and only spent otherwise on the expansions (the ones even VIP have to buy). If these people paid $100 2 years ago, they are essentially playing for free. Outside of a spending frenzy last Christmas, this is me.

Maybe, just maybe this is why we are seeing so much P2W in game. Either WB/Turbine is just blood thirsty for our money, or they are trying to recoup for all the leeches in game (like me) that are not spending.
    Yes, they don't care what you use the points on after you buy them, as long as you buy points. The object is to come up with as many different ways as possible to entice people to want to spend points. What they learned however after neglecting to do QoL patches and such for a while in favor of allocating those resources toward making stuff people will buy in the short term, is that theres a growing contingent of folks who are premium who haven't needed to buy points for years now. What could they do at this point to get you to buy a 60 dollar bundle for instance?
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    I understand that....but I don't have $400 (two accounts) at any one time to do that, and I don't want to not have stuff available to me. Like I said, I have many reasons for liking my VIP. Money has nothing to do with it.
    eh? ok money has nothing to do with it, explains itself really.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Yes, they don't care what you use the points on after you buy them, as long as you buy points. The object is to come up with as many different ways as possible to entice people to want to spend points. What they learned however after neglecting to do QoL patches and such for a while in favor of allocating those resources toward making stuff people will buy in the short term, is that theres a growing contingent of folks who are premium who haven't needed to buy points for years now. What could they do at this point to get you to buy a 60 dollar bundle for instance?
    Release some new content.....................or an expansion?

Make leveling even more painful especially for 3rd life, then................put out otto's boxes on sale. Make it next to impossible to get ahold of hearts in game then.........put hearts on sale...........

im making some examples..........not saying that they are good options , though content would be awesome, paying to bypass content not something im eager to whip the card out for so really I don't matter at all .
    Last edited by NaturalHazard; 11-09-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Why buy a dying game you can get banned from at any time?

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Why buy a dying game you can get banned from at any time?
    Because you are in love?

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post

Release some new content.....................or an expansion?

Make leveling even more painful especially for 3rd life, then................put out otto's boxes on sale. Make it next to impossible to get ahold of hearts in game then.........put hearts on sale...........

im making some examples..........not saying that they are good options , though content would be awesome, paying to bypass content not something im eager to whip the card out for so really I don't matter at all .
    Yep that is essentially the answer - design the current game as a hamster wheel, then put pay for progress and pay to bypass mechanisms in the store. However....

In the case of those growing contingent of folks who haven't had to spend money for years, they also have a large amount of points on hand due to TRing and running up favor, etc. Many of these folks are now ahead enough where Turbine puts out new stuff that needs points to acquire, but this crowd has the points already - they don't need to pay money. What does it take to get someone in that position to throw down some disposable income to support the game?

Old habits die hard I suppose. A little late to change comes to mind also.
    Gum Shoe~Human Rogue Hackin Slash~Human Fighter
    Timkin~Human Sorc Aarone Stone~Human Bard
    Tarnaa~Human Favored Soul Alcaden~Human Paladin
    Tipsee McStagger~Halfling Rogue Brawwn~Half-Orc Barbarian

Euro-Founder and Keeper Refugee Dexraven's Avatar

You can buy packs on sale as a VIP, contact customer support by phone or ticket and they will do it for you.
    Leader of the Unearthed Arcana

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast