Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Perhaps you'all should be heading to the thread by Major Mal today. He stated some of the directions where the bus is heading.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    And the insults continue
    Not real sure I follow you. Where do you see an insult?
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Community Member

Oh, and this is where the bus is headed;

Its interesting that someone who habitually refers to people, whose opinions are different from his own, as "haters" would link a song which uses a disparaging term for people with an intellectual disability.

I guess we can look forward to future song links from you detailing your views on African Americans, Jews and women. Who would have guessed that Mel Gibson played DDO?

Quote Originally Posted by Nestroy View Post
    They are laying off staff.
    How do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post
    When you have a development team that refuses to interact with the player base on the pretense of rudeness/vitriol when this same rudeness is something that has been brought on by the very actions of the development team and the ignoring of fixing things that have been pointed out long before content ever hits live servers, then you have a community that begins to despise the very people that create the game.

It is hard for the community to have faith in what we get told by the team, or even by the community representatives because the things we get told, are often as not different from what is released.

And then the players are the bad guy for getting upset about it.

And then the development team in response clams up, blaming the players for their clamming up.
    This sounds completely reasonable to me. If they tell us what they are thinking about or planning, and then it doesn't turn out that way, people have a fit. Much easier to not say anything until it is set in stone.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    The new end game:

1) Click roll on Daily Dice gold chest until out of astral shards
    2) Access store and buy more astral shards
    3) Return to (1)

Once you understand this, you realize that new (expensive to develop) content is unnecessary and that almost all bug fixes do nothing to enhance your gaming experience.

It took me awhile, but I finally came to understand why Thrudh never encountered any serious bugs in game.
    What was endgame in the 'good old days' when the level cap was 20? Not being able to advance your character? Or was it farming gear, which you apparently don't need, since you were already running epics to farm the gear?

If you want to recreate that, simply don't level up your character past 20. Don't take any destinies. Only run eberron epics on elite, and only use gear from them.

What, in your opinion, should endgame be? Apparently there is some system where it is eternally fresh and engaging. I can't figure out what it is, but you apparently know.

People who complain there is no endgame are making their own problem i think. There is a lot more to do at epic levels now than there ever was pre u14.

Default we all know

the short bus stops at turbine headquarters often

Community Member

Default Even better.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    This sounds completely reasonable to me. If they tell us what they are thinking about or planning, and then it doesn't turn out that way, people have a fit. Much easier to not say anything until it is set in stone.

Or an even better thing to do is explain it to the community as if they were 5 year olds WHY.

We don't ask for trade secrets, but we do ask for explanations because truly, we don't get the reasoning for some decisions, and when the genuine questions go ignored and unanswered, each and every little thing "they" (used loosely to describe the DDO staff as an entity) do is micro analyzed into every single possible cynical thing that could be imagined.

'They' thought it was funny to add a tinfoil hat to the game (honestly, so did I, I wanted one to go with my 100 or so buttons of winning I bought using me free favor points) but by adding this item, it is funny to me how 'they' are making funny of the players/community..........And the community acts the way it does because of the LACK of treatment from 'they'.

Look at all the "Let's Talk" threads. Perfect example. Why are they still open? Obviously, they want more feedback in them or they would be locked just like the End of the Week thread that was locked for being necro'd.

And just as obvious, 'they' don't want to maintain their own threads. By maintaining, I mean regularly responding and taking an active roll in them. Not an occasional response, but an ACTIVE response.

All we as the community have ever consistently asked for is information. Contact. Answers.

When communication breaks down, the entire system begins to crumble, people get angry about the things they don't know.

Just tell us straight what is going on and why things won't work out the way they said. I can guarantee that when explanations are given, the community will do a very good job of policing itself. But when the only people that have any information that is not top secret refuse to divulge it, well, kind of makes it hard for the community to take care of, help, answer, and police itself.

I'm done in this thread, have a good weekend everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

No, just going to use his lawnmower and complain to everyone how bad the mower is, yet still use it over and over. Followed up closely with calling the owner of the mower a slew of insults and further complain that he won't respond to you. And yet, still use his mower.

And the circle of hate goes on.

Pro tip;

Go find a different mower.
    Many people have - thus the rise in concern level by those who haven't yet.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

What, in your opinion, should endgame be? Apparently there is some system where it is eternally fresh and engaging. I can't figure out what it is, but you apparently know.
    It hinges on playing the game, rather than paying to not play the game.

People who complain there is no endgame are making their own problem i think. There is a lot more to do at epic levels now than there ever was pre u14.
    Yeap, they are, by paying to not play the game. It gets boring a lot faster, in orders of magnitude.

There is a lot more to pay to not do at epic levels than there ever was before.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by toaftoaf View Post
    the short bus stops at turbine headquarters often

Haha I was going to say I dunno where it is going but it's definitely getting shorter!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    Insulting the development team is not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

Not true at all here is why.

At level 20 all the epic dungeons were what I would call daily runs, they were something to work on while on timers for raids. Even so there was nice gear there to work on, you could work on your claw set, or an eAGA. That said you could start running epics no problem with a lit2/min2 and some dragontouched armor. But every epic chain had some gear that could be useful. Now we have lets combine the 3 motu chains into just motu, druids deep, high road and egh. Motu you will have all the dungeon gear by the time you cap either from drops or chain rewards, after your favor there is no reason to re-run/farm them. Druids deep has a couple marginally useful items such as the wall of wood, and leaves of the forest, however the rest of the items are pretty much duds. High road has some good gear and the change in en/eh/ee gear means that you have to farm for the best of it rather than getting it out of the chains. eGH has some very nice gear. That means that there are two packs worth of epics that are worth farming for 90% of the population since all old epic gear is obsolete.

Compare this to pre-u14 we had

phiarlen carnival
    red fens
    sands
    von
    sentinels
    u13

so that's six packs worth of epics to farm.

The other part of old endgame was raids. Greensteel was still useful as a weapon so we had shroud, chrono, von, demon queen, abbot, tod. Most tod sets are no longer worth it, greensteel is far less useful, chrono items are completely obsolete, demon queen is obsolete you don't even want a torc at endgame now because you'll take too much damage trying to torc in an ee. The only old raid still worth running is von for the esos and red scales.

We have two new raids citw (mostly hated by everyone but we like the weapons) and the fall of truth. That means we have three raids worth running right now compared to the six we had before.

2<6
    and
    3<6

so we have less endgame content to do since motu.

Community Member

most of the replies already summarized all the problems and direction "the bus is heading", i am just wondering (and slightly concerned) where are all the usual turbine fanbois to bash all of you guys for posting "dooo0o00m" when the game is doing "oh so great"? did they leave like (almost) everybody else?

Founder

If you are allowing the game to run ragged with bugs that are never fixed and new bugs introduced with every patch and even a new expansion that you want people to pay money for isn't right, people are going to start wondering what is going on. Like I wonder whether they are just letting the game run down and don't want to put the development time (money) into fixing bugs because they're only trying to wring the last drops of profit out of the game before tossing it. This is what happens with MMOs that companies are going to close, you can find information about it on the internet if it hasn't happened to you in another MMO.

When your players start looking at your game this way, you might want to reassure them if they are wrong. The fact that no one is reassuring us...

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    If you are allowing the game to run ragged with bugs that are never fixed and new bugs introduced with every patch and even a new expansion that you want people to pay money for isn't right, people are going to start wondering what is going on. Like I wonder whether they are just letting the game run down and don't want to put the development time (money) into fixing bugs because they're only trying to wring the last drops of profit out of the game before tossing it. This is what happens with MMOs that companies are going to close, you can find information about it on the internet if it hasn't happened to you in another MMO.

When your players start looking at your game this way, you might want to reassure them if they are wrong. The fact that no one is reassuring us...
    Everything has an end. One may choose to find what enjoyment there may be while given opportunity, or one may fret over the inevitable and allow opportunity to escape. Personally I prefer the former, as when the "bus" pulls into it's final stop at least I will have enjoyed the ride.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12