Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polar Ray

Community Member

Default Polar Ray

Who the heck was the smart @ss that gave ice flensers polar ray?

Theres a freaking lvl 9 quest with 3 flensers, each polar ray hits you for 200+ damage and THERES NO SAVE FOR IT!

Stop to ruin the game.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by tiredofyouturbine View Post
    Who the heck was the smart @ss that gave ice flensers polar ray?

Theres a freaking lvl 9 quest with 3 flensers, each polar ray hits you for 200+ damage and THERES NO SAVE FOR IT!

Stop to ruin the game.
    There's also Hard... then Normal... and Casual.

Might wanna come prepared or LoS like crazy.

Edit : soloed Invaders! Elite yesterday... you don't wanna try that I guess.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post

I do every quest on elite every life and i can complete this stupid quest. But give polar ray to the mobs is a stupid move.
    Last edited by tiredofyouturbine; 06-07-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

And yet plenty of us do just fine with the ice flensers and their polar rays. We use cold resistance, elemental protections, moving around (it IS a beam spell, you can get out of the way if you are paying attention). And everyone is complaining that the game is too easy. The polar ray is a challenge. Learn to beat it, take satisfaction in your victory. It's a good feeling, you'll enjoy it.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

I love this approach people have.

"You don't like this obvious and annoying bug?! GO BACK TO CASUAL SCRUB!"

Believe it or not, one can easily solo elite quests and still be annoyed by bugs like poison traps doing over a hundred damage out of nowhere in level 6 quests, or enemy spells hitting for 500+ damage in level 13 elite quests.

Between the bugs plaguing heroic elite and how annoying epic elite is, elite difficulty is just screwed up currently. >_> Saying this doesn't mean it's impossible for me (I regularly soloed elite quests while leveling, and even pug EE quests) - just that something may actually be screwed up.

Honestly, long-standing not being fixed (such as the damage bug from spells and traps in heroic elite, an artifact of u14) is one of the factors that has made my DDO playtime into effectively none, alongside such things as EE being boring, all gear probably about to be invalidated with the expansion, and the enhancement pass standing ready to screw up every last single character I have.

So seriously, if the only response you have to people complaining about OBVIOUS BUGS like SPELLS OR TRAPS HITTING FOR MORE DAMAGE THAN MOST PEOPLE HAVE HP AT A CERTAIN LEVEL (especially if there's no save, as with polar ray or the new poison trap bug) is to say "there's always casual," just don't bother posting on the subject - all you do is make your ineptitude with comprehending these matters evident. It's not fun to have to deal with broken enemies - it's even worse when these things stay broken for a long time (this also gets especially annoying with enemies that can self-heal, btw).
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by WruntJunior View Post

Believe it or not, one can easily solo elite quests and still be annoyed by bugs like poison traps doing over a hundred damage out of nowhere in level 6 quests, or enemy spells hitting for 500+ damage in level 13 elite quests.

Between the bugs plaguing heroic elite and how annoying epic elite is, elite difficulty is just screwed up currently. >_> Saying this doesn't mean it's impossible for me (I regularly soloed elite quests while leveling, and even pug EE quests) - just that something may actually be screwed up.

Honestly, long-standing not being fixed (such as the damage bug from spells and traps in heroic elite, an artifact of u14) is one of the factors that has made my DDO playtime into effectively none, alongside such things as EE being boring, all gear probably about to be invalidated with the expansion, and the enhancement pass standing ready to screw up every last single character I have.

So seriously, if the only response you have to people complaining about OBVIOUS BUGS like SPELLS OR TRAPS HITTING FOR MORE DAMAGE THAN MOST PEOPLE HAVE HP AT A CERTAIN LEVEL (especially if there's no save, as with polar ray or the new poison trap bug) is to say "there's always casual," just don't bother posting on the subject - all you do is make your ineptitude with comprehending these matters evident. It's not fun to have to deal with broken enemies - it's even worse when these things stay broken for a long time (this also gets especially annoying with enemies that can self-heal, btw).
    Thats is the point, if you can avoid it ok but theres no save you cant even see the bastards casting it.
    We still can complete the quest but its freaking retarded.
    I even have a PLIS that i could use to negate the damage but its still stupid.

Community Member

I think I also said "Come prepared" and something along side "try to deal with it" with LoS. If you think that complaining about the small amount of challenges left in the game is better then allright. We will just never agree on this and I don't see why this opinion of mine is not viable, since others are, instead of complaining, adapting to the situation. If they can't, there are still other difficulties and I am sorry that you think I offer this option in a negative way but it is not the case.

At least my response had a tip to adapt (LoS). What about yours...? Adding to the complainer? I think you are one of those that, even if you defend this position atm, are actually strong about adapting and doing what has to be done to succeed. As I said before : Don't nerf but raise awareness.

A bug that is never to be fixed can actually be considered as WAI from the player approach since that's how it is.

I think I also said "Come prepared" and something along side "try to deal with it" with LoS. If you think that complaining about the small amount of challenges left in the game is better then allright. We will just never agree on this and I don't see why this opinion of mine is not viable, since others are, instead of complaining, adapting to the situation. If they can't, there are still other difficulties and I am sorry that you think I offer this option in a negative way but it is not the case.

At least my response had a tip to adapt (LoS). What about yours...? Adding to the complainer? I think you are one of those that, even if you defend this position atm, are actually strong about adapting and doing what has to be done to succeed. As I said before : Don't nerf but raise awareness.

A bug that is never to be fixed can actually be considered as WAI from the player approach since that's how it is.
    Ladders: now WAI. >_>

That an example of how little your post actually brings up that's worthwhile.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Community Member

Ladders: now WAI. >_>

That an example of how little your post actually brings up that's worthwhile.
    When you are actually playing, do you consider them broken? As do you play KNOWING that they will be broken. If yes, that's what I meant. Same with Polar Rays on elite.

... You just didn't get it.

Yes it hits hard. Yes it's annoying. I also dislike the change but for reasons differing from the above. Changes like this warp the way I design characters. I make metagame changes for my characters or my leveling path based on changes like this. For some people this is a good thing, for others, like myself, I find such drastic, though limited changes are not a good thing.

When leveling up now, I note that flensers and ogre magi now have a new trick that puts their damage potential leagues ahead of other similar CR mobs in the same quest. Simply by virtue of having these mobs in elite quests, the difficulty is ramped up and forces players to bring proper protections. While casters can take care of fire shield quite easily at level, it's a bit trickier for melee to bring that defense, though I do make sure my melee have it now to prevent potential one shots. I also find myself avoiding these quests if I can, so I can my my life a bit easier. I run Madstone and Ghosts solo and bring my level 17 owlbear so I don't break my streak.

I compare this change to that of elite level traps. I don't mind elite traps doing so much damage, but I do mind that in quests that have traps, they are so far ahead of mobs in the damage department that they are the main obstacle to avoid in the quest. The mobs become secondary because they are such a minor relative threat. This polar ray change is the same to me. I don't so much mind the massive damage, but I do mind that mobs that cast polar ray are so far ahead the damage curve compared to other mobs in the same quest.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

I like challenges, im even defending that EE should be harder.
    But Heroic content doing that kind of damage, polar ray and the poinson traps is stupid.
    We have to adapt of course but its still stupid and no im not doing casual thx for your useless answer.

Community Member

I like challenges, im even defending that EE should be harder.
    But Heroic content doing that kind of damage, polar ray and the poinson traps is stupid.
    We have to adapt of course but its still stupid and no im not doing casual thx for your useless answer.
    EE and Heroic Elite should be as hard at level. They're top difficulties at level, not quests vs raids.
    That's how I see it. I guess I just like the difficulty and I know it's doable so that's why i'm on this side.

Edit: It's because you are stuck in the ELITE or nothing mentality as well... that's part of the problem.
    Last edited by Azarddoze; 06-07-2013 at 09:17 AM.

EE and Heroic Elite should be as hard at level. They're top difficulties at level, not quests vs raids.
    That's how I see it. I guess I just like the difficulty and I know it's doable so that's why i'm on this side.
    Right now, HE and EE GH quests do roughly the same amount of spell and trap damage. Please try to tell me that's balanced, good, or anything approaching WAI.

Keep in mind, HE is level 15-16...EE is level 26.

Community Member

Right now, HE and EE GH quests do roughly the same amount of spell and trap damage. Please try to tell me that's balanced, good, or anything approaching WAI.

Keep in mind, HE is level 15-16...EE is level 26.
    I never claimed it was balanced. Elite doesn't have to be balanced either in my opinion... it is the top difficulty.

All I said is since it is like that and still doable, why not work your way around or try another difficulty instead of complaining. Nothing more.

Community Member

Edit: It's because you are stuck in the ELITE or nothing mentality as well... that's part of the problem.
    Not everybody likes to be a casual player...

Community Member

Not everybody likes to be a casual player...
    See that is also part of the problem. You don't wanna be perceived as a casual player and you think entering hard will magicaly transform you into some gimp noob. Well sorry, that's not how it happens you are in fact restraining yourself while there are evident solutions to deal with the problem.

I do run Elite only usually till 18 and then I usually drop it depending of the class I play. I also know my own limit and can afford to fail when I know I didn't do everything possible to succeed. Then I don't complain, I adapt (if possible) or just skip (if I felt it wasn't possible). And if I come to play some melee lives, I might actually drop down to some hard runs because I know it'll be harder for me. I doubt i'll be feeling anymore "casual" or a gimp at that point. I'll be doing what has to be done to succeed.

See that is also part of the problem. You don't wanna be perceived as a casual player and you think entering hard will magicaly transform you into some gimp noob. Well sorry, that's not how it happens you are in fact restraining yourself while there are evident solutions to deal with the problem.

I do run Elite only usually till 18 and then I usually drop it depending of the class I play. I also know my own limit and can afford to fail when I know I didn't do everything possible to succeed. Then I don't complain, I adapt (if possible) or just skip (if I felt it wasn't possible). And if I come to play some melee lives, I might actually drop down to some hard runs because I know it'll be harder for me. I doubt i'll be feeling anymore "casual" or a gimp at that point. I'll be doing what has to be done to succeed.
    Still keeping up the fallacious mentality of "if you don't like this, you're a gimp and should just stay away from elite," I see.

Community Member

Still keeping up the fallacious mentality of "if you don't like this, you're a gimp and should just stay away from elite," I see.
    You are also stuck with the same mentality that he suffers. Everytime someone calls that there are other difficulty level you think it is negative. While there are IN FACT other difficulties available. Have fun defending your point one time your cloud will pop and you'll see reality.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    And yet plenty of us do just fine with the ice flensers and their polar rays. We use cold resistance, elemental protections, moving around (it IS a beam spell, you can get out of the way if you are paying attention). And everyone is complaining that the game is too easy. The polar ray is a challenge. Learn to beat it, take satisfaction in your victory. It's a good feeling, you'll enjoy it.

Ok the game does become easy at points. However some of those that say the game is to easy are those with every possible piece of gear that they can have for every circumstance.

Lets do some math here: Lets say a rogue with everything they can get of UMD(20 not really enough for fire shield yet) and HP(~250).

If polar ray hits for 400(base)-30 (resistance) -100 (protection only good for one use) = 270
    The rogue is dead now add if they can get fire shield but this is only for 1 minunte from scrolls = 135
    They survive that first one. Now 2 more hit and it is impossible to dodge every single one especially up front and hitting things on the head. They are dead.

Point is this is not a challenge but a stupid mechanic that shows little thought to provide a challenge.

The traps are the same way... (though easier to avoid)

Now for HE and EE being the hardest content:
    Yes they should be harder than the other difficulties. However a level 16 on Elite should NEVER do more damage than any quest that is 5+ levels than it. I.E., same quest on EH. This just is stupid and should be fixed. Since as the quest level increases so should the damage and challenge.

To me a challenge would be the some shaman in a room healing and blurring everything in sight. They are the biggest problem I have when I am soloing as a my tank.
    Schadel TR FVS | Whathitme 2TR human stalwart tank |Whatwas TR Barbarian/Fighter--FuryoftheWild | Kpavio Monk/fighter| Whatsnyp Artificer | Skullzz all purpose Druid| Whatcast elf AM| Nobuffforu Acrobat Warchanter

stupid double posting
    Schadel TR FVS | Whathitme 2TR human stalwart tank |Whatwas TR Barbarian/Fighter--FuryoftheWild | Kpavio Monk/fighter| Whatsnyp Artificer | Skullzz all purpose Druid| Whatcast elf AM| Nobuffforu Acrobat Warchanter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast