Default What DDO has always done right

I thought I might write something that would show what I believe to be the reason that so many care about this game even when they aren't completely satisfied or happy with it's direction or some facet of it in particular. It is also inportant for me to note that these qualities have existed since the very start.

Appearance- The game has always had a great appearance far more realistic then nearly every other game I have looked at in the fantasy genre. Melees don't have abilities that look like they are casting some spell or are glamorized with some shiny graphic. It's swing and damage numbers. I like that. Intimidate doesn't make the enemies glow red or such but simply a quick graphic to show success. Overall the game has a very clean look to it that helps to keep the realism very high. I think many of us find that appealing.

Build variety- The ability to come up wih a character idea and create a workable if not ideal build to achieve your intention has always been the major draw and player retaining aspect of the game. Really nothing more needs to said.

Controller compatability- At looking around into other games I never realized that DDO having this built into it was so unusual. Most have probably not used a controller in the game but for those of us who have this is one great feature. I use a flight joystick and a 5 button mouse. The built in key mapping options give me the ability to use all of my character abilities while moving and remaining in mouselook. It's better than having a third hand, at least as far as the game anyway.

I wanted to throw out the kudos just so people know that even those who express discontent are here and have been continously here for a reason and that reason is that this is a very well made game. It has always been that way. So when you point out any of these things or another feature that has alway been here after some irritant has been introduced remember that they were here before the irritant. Feel free to add your own reasons that you are or were drawn to this game to the list.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Orratti View Post
    I thought I might write something that would show what I believe to be the reason that so many care about this game even when they aren't completely satisfied or happy with it's direction or some facet of it in particular. It is also inportant for me to note that these qualities have existed since the very start.

Appearance- The game has always had a great appearance far more realistic then nearly every other game I have looked at in the fantasy genre. Melees don't have abilities that look like they are casting some spell or are glamorized with some shiny graphic. It's swing and damage numbers. I like that. Intimidate doesn't make the enemies glow red or such but simply a quick graphic to show success. Overall the game has a very clean look to it that helps to keep the realism very high. I think many of us find that appealing.

Build variety- The ability to come up wih a character idea and create a workable if not ideal build to achieve your intention has always been the major draw and player retaining aspect of the game. Really nothing more needs to said.

Controller compatability- At looking around into other games I never realized that DDO having this built into it was so unusual. Most have probably not used a controller in the game but for those of us who have this is one great feature. I use a flight joystick and a 5 button mouse. The built in key mapping options give me the ability to use all of my character abilities while moving and remaining in mouselook. It's better than having a third hand, at least as far as the game anyway.

I wanted to throw out the kudos just so people know that even those who express discontent are here and have been continously here for a reason and that reason is that this is a very well made game. It has always been that way. So when you point out any of these things or another feature that has alway been here after some irritant has been introduced remember that they were here before the irritant. Feel free to add your own reasons that you are or were drawn to this game to the list.
    Great post - I think that these and others are great reasons why so many players are still captivated by DDO after all these years. My major reason why this is my #1 MMO despite all the issues is the character customization. I fervently hope that it will continue far into the future so that I can continue to enjoy this game.

A secondary reason why I enjoy DDO is variety of quests. Quests with puzzles and other formats besides "kill X" are very welcome in any MMO. I especially like DDO puzzles. I hope that those creating new content don't ignore this basic aspect of DDO success.

Not use the trinity for group make up.

Community Member

Thumbs up

agree with all.
    +1

and I love ddo also for things like raindrops spliting on monitor screen when looking up during the rain, weather change and d/n cycle, tree leaves moving in wind....imho i think its best graphic in all mmo i've played (included nwo)
    multiple choises of playing -quests, raids, challenges, wilderness... and most of all - difficulty. Sometimes Im realy satisfied when I am unable to complete quest coz my toon is not ''ready jet'' for that adventure (dont mean just tough mobs, but also not able to open doors, push something,...)
    that makes me happy

Build variety- The ability to come up wih a character idea and create a workable if not ideal build to achieve your intention has always been the major draw and player retaining aspect of the game. Really nothing more needs to said..
    I agreed with your post until I read this.

Up until we saw the new enhancement pass (on Lamma-Land), DDO had it covered, when it goes live, and we are forced to build a mediocre character that in no way can compare to the current system.

In very small ways, it will help bring balance, but the days of true custom characterization are numbered, and will be forced upon us. Hate to say it, but that's how the Kookie Krumbles.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post

Up until we saw the new enhancement pass (on Lamma-Land), DDO had it covered, when it goes live, and we are forced to build a mediocre character that in no way can compare to the current system.

In very small ways, it will help bring balance, but the days of true custom characterization are numbered, and will be forced upon us. Hate to say it, but that's how the Kookie Krumbles.
    Yeah it looks more like NGE everytime I check it out

Beware the Sleepeater

Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post

You know, I was kinda thinking the same thing from reading the forums and looking at what was coming. Then I started using what is posted on wiki to try to come up with some good multiclass builds, and I have been able to create some lethal and highly complex builds so far. Yes, the game will change and some builds of the past will no longer be optimal, but to say that there will be no customization is incorrect in my opinion. It does look like my bardcher will die, and that makes me a sad puppy.

IN GAME VOICE CHAT! This function is awesome, and very rare.
    Jyn... Kender... Thelanis

*Insert clever comment here*

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quests being, ya know, actual quests, not just go kill 10 rats or 20 kobolds or x number of y creature until the end of time. Admittedly for those that like that there is still the slayer option, but there are also things that require some thought and a little strategy.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Post Kudos +1

I agree.
    ŦĘӍPLѦR
    Cannith

Shadowhaze-Righteouss-Technological Warfare-Lightes.
    Fear is the enemy of logic-Frank Sinatra

All of the above, there are so many things about this game that are so good, but gradually over the 3 years I've been playing I see the scales tipping slowly back to where there are things that are now truly terrible, and some just plain mediocre, to outweigh the many good aspects.
    The scales havn't tipped yet for me, and I don't think they will for a while, but tipping they are.

Slowly, overtime, unless Turbine gets its act together (and in these 3 years I see no evidnce that that is likely) Then eventually the poor points will outweigh the good points, and that will be the day I stop playing. It has already arrived for some, and that makes me sad.
    "IM-PLO-SION: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

"Some are insane, and the're in charge"
    (GoF)

Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....

Community Member

Default Ruleset!

I basically love DDO for mainly sticking with the best RPG ruleset I ever played: DnD 3.5 rules. Of course there has to be some tweaking done for an MMO but it still feels like DnD after all (in contrary to Neverwinter which I played for like 15 min before deinstalling).

Even with all the bugs and issues this is by far the most enjoyable MMO I ever came across!