Community Member

Default Artificer build suggestions?

Next up on my TR train is artificer, I think. It's a flexible class, I realize, and you can do a lot with it. I'm interested in exploring what the class can do in terms of both ranging and casting, playing with the dog as much as possible, and generally just having fun with it. I'll probably level up to 20 and spend some time at epic before TRing again.

Any suggestions for a good general purpose build, especially, what stats to go for and what feats would be best? Thanks.

(I did post this in the Artificer-specific section but got no replies there.)

Maximize Int. You'll use it for damage and DC and skills (and maybe reflex).

Decide beforehand if you will go for Improved Precie Shot or not. If you do, you need to have Dex 19 by level 15 (Starting 15 +4 tome works). If you don't, you only require Dex 13 for Rapid Shot (and that is not a very high priority feat). If you go for IPS, you can save a feat on Insightful Reflex.

If you want to play around with the dog, Augment Summon is mandatory. I would even recomend get it at level 1, since the dog is marvelous at very low levels, and the extra stats means you can use him to pull any non-int rune for you.

Try to fit all ranged feats (Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Improved Critical). Metamagic-wise, Quicken is good if you go warforged for healing, and decent for early levels for quick summoning of Flame Turret (once Flame Turret becomes to weak to hold agro, ditch quicken). Maximize is mandatory for Blade Barrier. Empower is optional (I think the artie SP pool is too low to use both feats, even situationally).

Construct Essence is a trap. Do not take it.

If you stay pure, you get 4 level 6 spell slots, enough to carry all good level 6 spells (Reconstruct, Deadly Weapons, Blade Barrier, and Tectical Detonation). If you want to splash for Evasion, you'll lose some spell slots. And artificers have REALLY good level 6 spells. Resigning one of them is not an easy option.

Artificer Capstone is easily one of the most fun capstones in the game. Basically, you can use any wand and clickie as a level 20 buff. This means 20-minute shields, 200 DR stoneskin, 2-minute prayer, etc. Really useful for thinkering around with as many wands you can carry.

Artificers are really easy to build (because of all the extra feats they get), hope you get fun.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

The build I used for my Arti is DrawingGuy's Artifact build. It was very fun to level and was easy to solo with.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...rtifact-build?
    Orien
    | Klorox | Suppressor | Vellien | Knost | & more |
    ~ Youtube ~ DDO Adventures ~

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post

Construct Essence is a trap. Do not take it.

This is the only thing i dont agree with. Sure if you have somebody else healing you all the time you dont need it. But if you find yourself in quests without a healer what could be better.
    Even in quests with a healer sometimes they cant heal you because of line of sight. I could carry pots,wands and scrolls to heal with but thats a lot of money and space that gets taken up.
    I could see where people might not want to use it,but its not a trap.

Here you go.

http://www.ddochargen.com/home.aspx?build=48568

Tweak it as you wish.
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==$==ORIEN==$==$==$==$==$==$==$=
    Darthwolf **(?_?) Zendarth m(?_?m) Darthnoheals \(?_?)
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==House Do'Urden==$==$==$==$==$==$=

Community Member

Thanks for the replies! I'll almost certainly go toaster as it just seems to fit the class better, and I'm playing just pure classes for now to get the best feel for what they are like.

I've had a few people tell me that Manyshot does so much extra damage that it's worth planning to put in a build. Any thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rakuda13 View Post
    This is the only thing i dont agree with. Sure if you have somebody else healing you all the time you dont need it. But if you find yourself in quests without a healer what could be better.
    Artficers are not melee intensive, and have plenty of CC spells to not be easily surrounded. If you are a fleshie artificer, a sturdy healing hire (Flower, Samuel, Miranda, Tempys, Merenon, Albus) is enough to keep you up. When you get the resources, you can keep a cure wand up for a *long* time because of Retain Essence.

Put your wand/scroll healing down 25% so that you can waste two feats (Essence and Quicken) for a half-powered emergency Reconstruct is hardly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    I've had a few people tell me that Manyshot does so much extra damage that it's worth planning to put in a build. Any thoughts on that?
    Manyshot is very, very powerful. No question about this.

The main problems I have with this are:

• Insightful Damage do not work with bows
    • You need a feat to add your Str to bow damage (that probably is not as good as your Int)
    • Bow and crossbows use different ammunition (requiring you to carry around two types of ammunition, if you use metal-based ammo)
    • Artificer is already a clickie-intensive class (not by class features, literally you carry a lot of clickies and wands)
    • You probably will want to buff the bow again with Deadly before manyshoting (requiring more micromanagement)

If you think you can manage this, go for it. Arties have enough feats to waste around. I would not recomend it for a first-time artificer. Get the feel of the class as it is before trying to highten their complexity even more.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Don't think you will benefit much from Manyshot during TR, it matters mostly for 20+ levels.

Community Member

Some great advice, thank you. I'll try to keep it reasonably simple for this first pass.

Community Member

Next up on my TR train is artificer, I think. It's a flexible class, I realize, and you can do a lot with it. I'm interested in exploring what the class can do in terms of both ranging and casting, playing with the dog as much as possible, and generally just having fun with it. I'll probably level up to 20 and spend some time at epic before TRing again.

Any suggestions for a good general purpose build, especially, what stats to go for and what feats would be best? Thanks.

(I did post this in the Artificer-specific section but got no replies there.)
    My arti is on his 3rd life. (1st life arti, 2nd life ranger) and this go 'round, he's a wf, force spec'd dealer o' death and destruction that can do limited healing, poison or disease removal along with curse removal.

As for what stats and feats...I didn't go too entirely crazy with the force and kinetic stuff...(not even sure if kinetic is necessary actually) but my BB's and Detonation thingy hit really hard. Same for the prismatic strike. Get your UMD up, so you can use heal and rez scrolls. (but you probably already knew that)
    I know of one arti that is aiming to be able to use any scroll and item in the game. She's darn close too.

Sorry I'm not much for specifics, but I haven't run my arti in a while. Been concentrating on my monk and healbot lately.

Community Member

Thanks.

BTW my inclination is WF for obvious reasons. I occasionally see human arties.. what is the main reason there? Is it for the extra feat?

Also.. in terms of finding traps... I know arties have a weakness compared to rogues in this area.. maybe the lack of evasion... or is it also that they aren't as good at spotting?
    Last edited by Qaliya; 06-07-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Community Member

Thanks for the replies! I'll almost certainly go toaster as it just seems to fit the class better, and I'm playing just pure classes for now to get the best feel for what they are like.

I wouldn't waste a slot on manyshot with an arti.
    You'll have the endless fusillade for that.

Thanks.

BTW my inclination is WF for obvious reasons. I occasionally see human arties.. what is the main reason there? Is it for the extra feat?
    probably for the mark of makeing, and they are just a crafting mule.

Also.. in terms of finding traps... I know arties have a weakness compared to rogues in this area.. maybe the lack of evasion... or is it also that they aren't as good at spotting?
    quite the opposite, as an int based, you will have higher disable than anything other than an int based mechanic rogue and there aren't too many of those around.

As far as evasion, you could take 2 monk for 2 extra feats and evasion, but really there are few traps in the game where you NEED evasion to get them.

I would also recomend maxing out spot as a ranged build, so you can see hidden mobs and make use of your ranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey1 View Post
    I wouldn't waste a slot on manyshot with an arti.
    You'll have the endless fusillade for that.
    Agreed.

Community Member

Thanks.

After bumping Dex and Con to 16 and Int to 18, I have 4 points left over. Am I better off putting them into Con or Cha? I've somewhat fallen in love with UMD since I played Paladin last life. I realize Arties get a lot of UMD help anyway, but I was thinking this would help with getting better stuff faster.

Other options would be bumping strength up (I hate being encumbered) or putting a couple of points into Wis for better will save.

Community Member

Thanks.

After bumping Dex and Con to 16 and Int to 18, I have 4 points left over. Am I better off putting them into Con or Cha? I've somewhat fallen in love with UMD since I played Paladin last life. I realize Arties get a lot of UMD help anyway, but I was thinking this would help with getting better stuff faster.

Other options would be bumping strength up (I hate being encumbered) or putting a couple of points into Wis for better will save.
    Not sure I'd bother with Charisma, or Dex for that matter, but someone else may have a good reason to keep them in there.
    When I started my last life on that toon, I spread most of my points into Int, Con and Str. Maybe a few, and I mean FEW points into other slots.
    I think I ended up wishing I'd put more into Int. but it's been so long ago...
    Anyway...whatever you do, if you mess up, it's fixable.
    I've respec'd several of my toons several times to get them right.
    As for UMD, I'd throw points in there when you can, but not at the expense of other arti specific thingies.