Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sirgleno View Post
    Please post a yes/no if you would like the ability to disable pets within your own game.
    No.

24 no

23 yes

A lot closer than I thought it would be considering the amount of time I've inadvertently spent reading complaints about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    24 no

23 yes

A lot closer than I thought it would be considering the amount of time I've inadvertently spent reading complaints about them.
    Because ppl who are irritated by pets (Honestly - I have no idea why... Maybe they caus lags to some ppl... No idea) are moaning on the forums. People who dont care or love them (majority) are group of ppl who just enjoy the game and come to forums rarely.
    You want yes and no answer? Stand in market and count how many running by peopl have pets and how many not. The answer is easy - most of players run with pets.

If majority did not want pets ppl wpuld complain on them, because majority wouldnt use them. But they do. Thats the answer itself.

Tho - when I enter quest/raid with a group and someone asks to turn off pets nicely because it lags him/her - Ill do it. I know the horror of lag myself.

Yes,pets are like p0rn,if you wanna look at them,do so in private.

yes

Founder

LOL, different people like different things. But some people are voting to FORCE EVERYONE to view what they view - why? Is it a power thing?

Turbine is putting the man-hours into creating pets and when I complained that this was taking away from fixing bugs I was told that different people are used to create pets than to fix bugs. Putting pets in the game world (making them visible) is directly connected to making them not visible. If different people are making pets in the first place then it is not interrupting anything (except making more pets) to develop a feature to turn them off...

If adding pets to the game was indeed more complicated than that and actual developers were needed to make them visible, code their movement and behaviors, etc. then I go back to my original protest that this development time should have been spent on bugs/lag. And no more time/hiring should be done for fluff at the expense of bugs/lag.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    But some people are voting to FORCE EVERYONE to view what they view - why? Is it a power thing?
    The power of conspicuous consumption..

LOL, different people like different things. But some people are voting to FORCE EVERYONE to view what they view - why? Is it a power thing?
    First of all, there is no "vote" at play here. It's an informal poll to gather opinions and provide a platform for drama.

Second, aside from isolated and purely self-involved pursuits; what activity does not have the capability to FORCE EVERYONE to view things they may not wish to see? Whenever other humans are involved in an activity, there exists a likelihood one may witness behaviors, choices or actions considered objectionable to some and acceptable to others. That's simply an implicit possibility of interacting with people.

As we the players do not control the game world or it's environs, we must either learn to tolerate certain aspects of it comprised solely of the behaviors, choices and actions of other community members, provided such do not violate the terms of service, or we must find other means of entertainment. To do otherwise would be to force others into a set of behaviors, choices and actions which they may find objectionable; and isn't that what has you so upset, the lack of options?
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

A power thing - Nope not at all

However, I think people need to be honest about why this "Fluff" is like nails on a chalkboard to them.

While I have met a couple people that have, in my opinion, abused the pet tricks/antics while waiting around. I would say that the majority don't.

Personally I don't mind pets, I will even bring mine out. I don't commonly run quests with them and it is not because I think they cause lag, or can get in the way of casting/fighting, it is because sometimes I catch them out of the corner of my eye and think something else is behind me.

Currently each of us have the "power" to display or not display pets.. This current poll of a small minority and in most probability not a good cross section of the DDO player base (I'm leaning towards flawed as far as accuracy) seems to show that this is 50/50. But as another poster pointed out a better way of getting "Good" numbers would be to sit in the marketplace of every server and count how many characters go by with and without pets.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    First of all, there is no "vote" at play here. It's an informal poll to gather opinions and provide a platform for drama.
    That's correct there was no vote, it's something we we force fed without consideration.

Second, aside from isolated and purely self-involved pursuits; what activity does not have the capability to FORCE EVERYONE to view things they may not wish to see? Whenever other humans are involved in an activity, there exists a likelihood one may witness behaviors, choices or actions considered objectionable to some and acceptable to others. That's simply an implicit possibility of interacting with people.
    What does this have to do with the subject at hand or the text you quoted? I'm not sure which logically fallacious sidetrack you are attempting to derail the discussion down, but I can and will do whatever research is necessary to refute it, if you want to take this any further. Those who are voting NO to the option of disabling other people's pets ARE essentially voting to force those who would vote YES to participate in something against their will. Now what possible motivation could people have to want to do that? Noone should be forced to play captive audience to someone else's fantasies or delusions.

As we the players do not control the game world or it's environs, we must either learn to tolerate certain aspects of it comprised solely of the behaviors, choices and actions of other community members, provided such do not violate the terms of service, or we must find other means of entertainment. To do otherwise would be to force others into a set of behaviors, choices and actions which they may find objectionable; and isn't that what has you so upset, the lack of options?
    This is complete and utter nonsense, entertainment providers in a competetive market ignore the feeback of their customers at their own peril. The 'if you don't like it then don't play' argument is a clutching at straws red herring, observed only by trolls and those incapable of having a discussion based on reason and logic. Will you still be here towing that tired old line when the game servers are empty and noone is left on the forums?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirgleno View Post
    To be clear: yes means that you would like the option to disable pets, no means that you would not like for players to be able to not see them.
    No.

Community Member

Usually i'm for options but after reading the thread and realizing turbine can't win either way, i vote no.

Quote Originally Posted by RightToRemainStupid View Post
    That's correct there was no vote, it's something we we force fed without consideration.
    <snip>
    This is complete and utter nonsense, entertainment providers in a competetive market ignore the feeback of their customers at their own peril. The 'if you don't like it then don't play' argument is a clutching at straws red herring, observed only by trolls and those incapable of having a discussion based on reason and logic. Will you still be here towing that tired old line when the game servers are empty and noone is left on the forums?
    Meh, you run risks either way. Listening to the feedback of your customer's is often dangerous too. Feedback is quite biased relative to the actual population. Even if you uses statistical techniques deal with that, you still run into the issues facing governing by opinion polls and design by committee.

Founder

Or...we could ask for options. Player input has influenced content in the past, I see no need for a defeatist attitude. And what makes you think I'm upset (nevermind SO upset)?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    However, I think people need to be honest about why this "Fluff" is like nails on a chalkboard to them.

While I have met a couple people that have, in my opinion, abused the pet tricks/antics while waiting around. I would say that the majority don't.

Personally I don't mind pets, I will even bring mine out. I don't commonly run quests with them and it is not because I think they cause lag, or can get in the way of casting/fighting, it is because sometimes I catch them out of the corner of my eye and think something else is behind me.
    First, I don't understand why you both feel the need to "interpret" the feelings of people who object to something. I never said nor used any language to indicate that I was "upset" or that pets were "like nails on a chalkboard" to me. It does not add to the conversation to try to pin feelings on my words that are not there.

Second, the above is your experience. I have experienced many people around me doing pet tricks ad infinitum. It is especially annoying in a quest - hearing a noise or seeing movement behind you and thinking it might be a mob can distract you from things you should be paying attention to. As I have mentioned before, I would be fine with an option to turn off visibility of pets FOR ME in wilderness/quests only if that is a more palatable compromise for Turbine. Since this is an Heroic MMO I would prefer not to see them at all, but I can compromise.

Community Member

A power thing - Nope not at all

I think you will find that most people ARE being honest, it's your compusion to find an ulterior motive to dismiss an assertion based on a rational argument that is the problem.

It's not about frequency it's about occurrence. I just thought I'd nip that failed attempt to derail the discussion in the bud.

How nice of you to share your honest opinion with us and duly noted. You may find others disagreeing with you on some of those points. They might even be able to present coherent rational arguments supporting their position.

Currently each of us have the "power" to display or not display pets.. This current poll of a small minority and in most probability not a good cross section of the DDO player base (I'm leaning towards flawed as far as accuracy) seems to show that this is 50/50. But as another poster pointed out a better way of getting "Good" numbers would be to sit in the marketplace of every server and count how many characters go by with and without pets.
    Another cynical attempt to distort the debate through semantics lawyering and willful misinterpretation of the subject being discussed. As you well know, we currently only have the power to display OUR OWN pets, by choosing to not summon them. We do not have the capacity to block other people from displaying their pets on our screens.

Also, noone is discussing the merit of this poll as a 'good' cross section of the DDO player base. Your self interest is again blatantly on display, through your inability to participate in a balanced discussion and your repeated attempts to dismiss the merits of this debate.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Pandir View Post
    Usually i'm for options but after reading the thread and realizing turbine can't win either way, i vote no.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this - what is Turbine "losing" from allowing individuals to not see pets only on their own client? In other words the pets would still be there and everyone who opts to see them would still see/hear them. I would just have the ability to not see and hear them only for me?

Yes.

To me, they bring absolutely nothing to the game except extra unneeded sound effects and graphics display.

Now on the other hand, if you ask my daughter, she'd probably say no, but she's 3 and thinks the druid dancing bear is about the coolest thing she's ever seen on daddy's game. So there you go. Make of that what you will.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Wow, I have an opinion that seems to disagree with others. Experiences that are different then others and I'm the one that is labeled as cynical and dismissive.

Look, personally the pets are not a big deal to me (again my opinion). I don't go out of my way to purchase them, but some do. As we can see from just this simple informal poll there is a nearly 50/50 split on a question of if we as the community should have the option of turning off the display of pets.

I am sorry that a few have seen my arguments as dismissive and cynical. That by all means was not my point. I did re-read my post and I do agree that I typed a bit fast on the Displaying option, it is only your personal pets that you can do this with and it was my intention that we as a player base can vote in game on our "Wanting" of pets simply by exercising our power to not display our own.

I actually have no personal agenda for or against pets. I voted no to the option, not because I believe in making you look at my pets but because I don't find them annoying enough to warrant a change.

This coming from someone who feels compelled to share their every thought and action via hourly updates in a thread on these forums. These are precisely the type of people who's manias and compulsions we are trying to limit our exposure to. Why can't they get it into their heads that WE ARE NOT INTERESTED in being force fed their narcissistic delusions, if we were we would join a social media platform and friend them.
    Wow, did someone **** in your Wheaties.

Get to know Fawn before you make a judgment like that, you will find they are far from narcissistic and delusional. Maybe laying off the personal attacks might help your case a bit.

RTRS,

You may want to grasp the context before getting all bent out of shape.

This:
    was in response to this:
    But some people are voting to FORCE EVERYONE to view what they view - why? Is it a power thing?
    The context being this informal poll and the various opinions expressed therein.

Your reply:
    makes no sense in that light. Unless it was to create unnecessary drama, which is a least tangentially related to my statement.

What does this have to do with the subject at hand or the text you quoted? I'm not sure which logically fallacious sidetrack you are attempting to derail the discussion down, but I can and will do whatever research is necessary to refute it, if you want to take this any further. Those who are voting NO to the option of disabling other people's pets ARE essentially voting to force those who would vote YES to participate in something against their will. Now what possible motivation could people have to want to do that? Noone should be forced to play captive audience to someone else's fantasies or delusions.

How to explain the obvious... hum... Well...

HAL, and you apparently, want to impose a particular worldview on others. You both would like this imposition to be enforced by a second party, Turbine in this case, upon yet a third party; namely other players. Those other players do not want this imposition, just as some do not want what they consider to be an imposition of the other players. This is a classic example of a stalemate of equivalent privileges. Both sides have valid arguments, but one side has precedent. That would be the one with which Turbine has sided; those that want pets displayed. Since this arrangement currently benefits not only the pro-visible pet crowd but, and more importantly, Turbine, I think the precedent will stand as is. This all ties back to having to interact with people of dissimilar viewpoints which was basically the point I was making.

As for being a "captive audience" and all that other rubbish: How absurd. There is no requirement to play this game. Turbine makes the rules. If you or anyone else finds that to be unacceptable, go elsewhere. You may consider such arguments trollish, but it is fact. No one is forcing you to be here. No one is making you play. There are quite literally thousands of other pastimes that may be more suitable to your demeanor. And frankly, the arrogance displayed in your arguments of "If you're against me, you must be a troll" and "The game should conform to my wishes over any others" is infantile at best. My pug-dog could mount a better rhetorical defense of his views on receiving more treats.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast