Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Informal Poll - Disable Pets?

Please post a yes/no if you would like the ability to disable pets within your own game. The question here is not if pets should be removed from game (which has a near zero chance of happening), but if you would like to eliminate your personal observation of them, ideally to the point where their companionship for others didn't even require any bandwidth on your gaming rig.

Please save the rants for another day, just looking for a yes/no response - and ideally we can clarify player consensus.

To be clear: yes means that you would like the option to disable pets, no means that you would not like for players to be able to not see them.
    Dystopia Starchucker
    Castaspella Practiced Spellcaster
    Ought Machinist

Yes
    Dystopia Starchucker
    Castaspella Practiced Spellcaster
    Ought Machinist

Community Member

No

Quote Originally Posted by Sirgleno View Post
    Please save the rants for another day, just looking for a yes/no response - and ideally we can clarify player consensus.
    Tough, its meaningless without the "why".

While I don't tend to use cosmetic pets (even the free ones) and while I think they are silly and sometimes annoying from an sound standpoint, the number of pets on display seems to indicate that Turbine is selling a lot of them and I figure a lot less people will buy them, and their associated tricks/gear if they can't show them off to others. Cosmetics like this is exactly where I think Turbine should be making money in the store and so we shouldn't provide an option to remove them, they are good money makers that really don't harm you.

No.

No, this is the kind of stuff turbine should be selling.

As a side note I'm bummed I was thinking this poll would be about arti/druid dogs and summons which I can't stand seeing at end game because the ai is so poor they're more liability than anything when someone decides to summon one. An option in the lfm for group leaders to disable them would be very nice.

No
    Proud officer of Spellbinders: http://spellbinders.shivtr.com/
    Lyrandar(EU)->Devourer(EU)->Cannith

Nope.

Community Member

Talking

Yes, with an option that auto-squelches those who say otherwise.

yes. allow me to disable them from my view if others wont do it.

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

I recommend option 3:

An option to only plot cosmetic pets every few frames, or not update them nearly as fast as combat critters and players, or some other form of "slower updating", to save client processing and thus cut down on any pet-induced-video-lag or other technical connectivity issues.

While I myself can see the preference for less "clutter" in a given screen, I admit that I, too, would like to see Turbine make money through these pets in the hope they will feel less inclined to charge for things more essential. I understand that disabling them, or offering to disable them, might hurt their appeal to some players, so I suggest this third option.

no
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post

An option to only plot cosmetic pets every few frames, or not update them nearly as fast as combat critters and players, or some other form of "slower updating", to save client processing and thus cut down on any pet-induced-video-lag or other technical connectivity issues.
    While there were bugs with pets blocking los when they were first released that's gone now. So does anyone have any hard evidence that pets really cause any server or client lag?

I don't have any evidence other than gut feeling but I don't feel there has been a increase in my lag with them being introduced.

No. While I don't use or even like them, it is revenue to support the game, and a waste of dev time to work on blocking them.
    No Char left behind; original join date, Oct 2010

No. Unless it is an option buyable from the Store by 1500 TP.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    While there were bugs with pets blocking los when they were first released that's gone now. So does anyone have any hard evidence that pets really cause any server or client lag?
    Maybe pets with the glitterdust, if you are running in a PC made last century. Other than that, one single Ice Storm probably gives more client lag than a full raid of pets.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Founder

Yes, please allow me to disable viewing them in my own client. Pets not only interfere with my suspension of belief (I'm part of a group of mighty heroes - and their cute pets (?) - on a mission to save the city) but they can also interfere with gaming by obscuring sight, etc. Yes, summons can also do that but they at least will distract mobs and might even help. Pets only get in the way and do nothing to help. What might be ideal is to have 3 modes: full-on pets; full-off pets; pets only in public spaces such as the Market, Harbor, Houses, Taverns.

I also think it is interesting that people are voting to force me to view their pets. Or voting against using development time to add this feature. I would argue that development time was used to create something that many of us do not want, I believe its fair that we get some development time to balance that.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHeros View Post
    No. While I don't use or even like them, it is revenue to support the game, and a waste of dev time to work on blocking them.
    Waste of time..I'll make it no longer a waste then..VIP cancellation if it isn't an option to unsee them. Now it isnt a waste of time, see?

No!

Community Member

I dont have a problem with them, personally, but I'll support the option to disable them within your own client.

Cosmetic pets, that is - Owlbear hirelings, Arti/Druid pets, etc. that arent just cosmetic need to stay visible at all times to everyone.

I dont buy the argument that people wont buy cosmetic pets if you can disable them. First off, you buy them so you can see them yourself, or show them to friends who want to see them...you dont buy them so random strangers in the marketplace who dont care have to look at your Gelatinous Cube. Anyone who would choose to disable pets is not going to think you're any cooler because you have one, so thats a straw man argument. Second off, theres no way to even know that someone else cant see your pet unless they come out and say it.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    I also think it is interesting that people are voting to force me to view their pets. Or voting against using development time to add this feature. I would argue that development time was used to create something that many of us do not want, I believe its fair that we get some development time to balance that.
    ^^ This +1. if useless pets have to be in a quest with me, I should have the option to turn them off from my view so not to distract my attention and to not block my view.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast