Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 176
  1. #21
    Community Member HotMaarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Yes. Disable option pls.

  2. #22
    Community Member sdrocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Id like to be able to disable them in my client.

  3. #23
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Yes.

    It's all about having a choice. It wouldn't affect the others in any way.

  4. #24
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    still fighting the unending armies of shavarath
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiberius87 View Post
    Yes.

    It's all about having a choice. It wouldn't affect the others in any way.
    Yeth!

    ...J
    Thelanis: HoeLee, Rasminder, Cerinah, Arlinah, Shrenn, Rowkhan, Paladonis - Jakburton's Porkchop Express (now hiring)

    Sarlona: Aingell of Death, KimberLee, Soullaris the Divine, Bendyr - The Order of Cygnus

  5. #25
    Community Member starhawk_6699's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    149

    Default Yes

    Yes
    "Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not." -- George Bernard Shaw

  6. #26
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I dont buy the argument that people wont buy cosmetic pets if you can disable them. First off, you buy them so you can see them yourself, or show them to friends who want to see them...you dont buy them so random strangers in the marketplace who dont care have to look at your Gelatinous Cube. Anyone who would choose to disable pets is not going to think you're any cooler because you have one, so thats a straw man argument. Second off, theres no way to even know that someone else cant see your pet unless they come out and say it.
    Very good argument.

  7. #27
    Community Member Ryiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    No. My reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    An option to only plot cosmetic pets every few frames, or not update them nearly as fast as combat critters and players, or some other form of "slower updating", to save client processing and thus cut down on any pet-induced-video-lag or other technical connectivity issues.
    Because statements like these have no proof included to back them up.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 06-07-2013 at 01:48 AM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

  8. #28
    Founder & Hero Uska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    22,877

    Default

    No as I kind of like them and even when I dont want to use them others doing so doesn't bother me and putting in work to disable them is likely to bug something out. I would like to be able to disable the use of hirelings if I am the party leader though.

    The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

  9. #29
    Founder & Hero Uska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    22,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    No, this is the kind of stuff turbine should be selling.

    As a side note I'm bummed I was thinking this poll would be about arti/druid dogs and summons which I can't stand seeing at end game because the ai is so poor they're more liability than anything when someone decides to summon one. An option in the lfm for group leaders to disable them would be very nice.
    Yeah those and hirelings I would like to disable

    The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

  10. #30
    Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    TARTARUS
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    No.

    Honestly I couldn't care less. I mean, how is this even an issue, at all? I've never once been in any situation in game where I've thought "If on this pet wasn't blocking my view!" Nor have I ever been distracted by them. If they bother you, and distract you, then that is entirely on you. 100%.
    If you are focusing more on someones cosmetic pet then the actual game play, then again, that is simply on you. I don't want devs to have another thing to waste their time on, because you don't have enough self control to not be distracted by a pet.

    You know what I would like? All forms of Summon Monster to be taken out of the game, with the exception of the Xoriat summons. Because they all just sucks so bad. I cringe every time I see someone summon a Hezzy because I know for the next 2 minutes until the thing is dead I won't be able to see down the hall, or half the mobs I'm attacking.

    And as to them breaking immersion.. That's just silly. unless you solo/RP there is no immersion in any MMO anymore. It's just a fact of life. I mean, a beholder cosmetic pet breaks your immersion in game, but the pug who's talking about smoking pot and yelling at his gf/roommate over mic doesn't?
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

  11. #31
    The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Dandonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    5,275

    Default

    Yes, please.

    They block the view, and could potentially affect other players' performance.

    A quick UI option to toggle them on/off would be great.
    It's definitely an N-word.

  12. #32
    Community Member Hendrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bell's Brewery, MI.
    Posts
    10,991

    Default

    No.

    Quote Originally Posted by hsinclair
    I heard the devs hate all wizards, bards, clerics, fighters, and fuzzy bunnies and only want us to play halfling barbarian/paladin shuriken specialists!

    It's totally true, I have a reliable source. You better reroll now.
    Adventurer, Bug Reporter, Mournlander.

  13. #33
    Community Member Full_Bleed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    826

    Default

    Yes.

    The cosmetic pets are the single biggest detriment to the atmosphere and lore of the game. It would be like playing a Star Wars mmo where people had pet Vaders, Bobba Fetts, and Jabba the Huts following them around and doing tricks. Turning iconic monsters into virtual beanie babies is a joke. D&D has established summons, companion, and familiar lore that could have been used to fill this niche.

    I was on the fence about leaving DDO for Elder Scrolls Online, but not having to see all these pets ever again will be my primary reason for doing so. If DDO isn't going to take its atmosphere seriously, I feel compelled to find a game that will.

  14. #34
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled175 View Post
    Waste of time..I'll make it no longer a waste then..VIP cancellation if it isn't an option to unsee them. Now it isnt a waste of time, see?
    Except that is bull. People who would have quit the game over this would have quit a year ago.

  15. #35
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Yes.

    Would be fine by me if the disable was for dungeons only. I can ignore them myself in public areas, but in a dungeon, anything that moves gets attention until it can be ruled out, so I find pets to be very annoying in dungeons. Any for Role Playing, what adventurer is going to have their expensive decorative pet in danger in a dungeon anyway?
    TPICKRELL forum identity still broken, 15 weeks and counting... So yet another throw away Forum identity

  16. #36

    Default

    No.

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I dont buy the argument that people wont buy cosmetic pets if you can disable them. First off, you buy them so you can see them yourself, or show them to friends who want to see them...you dont buy them so random strangers in the marketplace who dont care have to look at your Gelatinous Cube. Anyone who would choose to disable pets is not going to think you're any cooler because you have one, so thats a straw man argument. Second off, theres no way to even know that someone else cant see your pet unless they come out and say it.
    The psychologies at work would tend not to support a straw man supposition for this argument. People buy and display pets for many, varied reasons not a few of which include using them as badges of status in some form or another. Allowing individual users to turn off pet display would decrease their perceived usefulness in that regard even if the function was not active. The possibility of removing pets would produce the same effect. Whether or not you or I agree with the reasoning has little to do with it. Turbine will not give up a significant market segment in order to placate those who find pets annoying.
    Last edited by sebastianosmith; 06-07-2013 at 08:03 AM.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

  17. #37
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Full_Bleed View Post
    Yes.

    The cosmetic pets are the single biggest detriment to the atmosphere and lore of the game. It would be like playing a Star Wars mmo where people had pet Vaders, Bobba Fetts, and Jabba the Huts following them around and doing tricks. Turning iconic monsters into virtual beanie babies is a joke. D&D has established summons, companion, and familiar lore that could have been used to fill this niche.

    I was on the fence about leaving DDO for Elder Scrolls Online, but not having to see all these pets ever again will be my primary reason for doing so. If DDO isn't going to take its atmosphere seriously, I feel compelled to find a game that will.
    You think eso won't have a mainstay of modern mmo's? Seriously I can't think of too many major mmo's that don't have this feature now. Cosmetic pets are just something you will have to get used too. Unless you can prove and I do mean prove that they cause lag, you don't have a leg to stand on.

  18. #38
    Community Member bbcjoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Yes, at least in dungeons.

    But you are dellusional if you think disabling pets would save you any bandwidth, that's not how the game works. But since it would save me machine processing and video memory, I'm on it, giving how bad the memory leak in DDO is.

    But I doubt that is happening. As sebastianosmith stated, part of the fun for those who like pets is to shove them into our faces.
    Last edited by bbcjoke; 06-07-2013 at 08:08 AM.

  19. #39
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    No. My reason?


    Because statements like these have no proof included to back them up.
    Except that there are other reasons people don't want to see pets. Like because they aren't "heroic" or because they get in the way of combat, etc.

  20. #40
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Except that there are other reasons people don't want to see pets. Like because they aren't "heroic" or because they get in the way of combat, etc.
    The don't get in the way of combat though, I can see no way that anyone can claim that with a straight face. As far as not heroic, form a static rp group. I don't even use the stupid things but the people that are rabidly against them are just over the top. It's a standard part of major mmo's now. I may not use it myself but if someone wants to and wants to spend money on them that's great. It's the cash shop how it should be working selling cosmetics and fluff instead of p2w items.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload