Community Member

Default Ship Buffs Timer

Hi Guys

I would like to put forth an idea that has been knocking around in the back of my mind (right next to the gerbil) for some time.

I propose that the length of ship buffs be increased to 3 hours just like the low end booster pots from DDO Store etc, and that said buffs then be coded to pause in public areas just like the a fore mentioned potions/elixirs.

This will be a great boon to your players, especially for the casual gamer who is currently spending nearly as much time going to buff as in a quest.

Either way, that is my suggestion.

Good Luck, Have Fun and always gather for grease ... DDO's Universal Buffage!

Money Maker of Cannith, (now with added Completionist Crunchy Bits)

Community Member

Better yet, just have them last indefinitely, through rests, until death (or logout, I guess). Really, if you're not dying, there's no reason why you should have to revisit your Ship every hour or 3 hours or whatever. It increases server load, it disrupts party play, it penalizes you for taking downtime (ie crafting, AH, AFKing, or just being social in town), and having it indefinite until death would be rewarding you for not dying. Its not like they cost anything to use, anyway, so its not a cost:reward issue like it is with scrolls/pots/favor buffs/etc.

Also, make them extend to your hirelings. It does me no good, really, if I have a whole slew of ship buffs, but my Cleric hireling doesnt and gets wiped, or I have to spend half my time babysitting him. And it does no good, either, to be overpowered for a quest because I can only do content that's survivable by my weakest link (hireling).

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I'm on board, the whole run to the boat thing is irritating. While I don't think the buffs should be permanent on the guilds, buffing once a play session is reasonable with the caveat that they still go away upon death. This isn't a power issue, this is purely a time maintenance issue. I know the devs job is to keep us playing, but letting us play the quests is a lot more entertaining and better time-bait than running to the ship.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    I'm on board, the whole run to the boat thing is irritating. While I don't think the buffs should be permanent on the guilds, buffing once a play session is reasonable with the caveat that they still go away upon death. This isn't a power issue, this is purely a time maintenance issue. I know the devs job is to keep us playing, but letting us play the quests is a lot more entertaining and better time-bait than running to the ship.
    if u play X hours a day
    and u play Y days a week

you spend Z hours buffing,zoning, getting/completing quests, why does that Z time exist?

let's assume your X hours and Y days aren't too high, if you want to lvl/cap faster, how can you shorten the time needed to lvl/cap?

xp pots, easy

that's the reason for xp pots not run while in public areas, because they want us to spend that Z time, the bigger the better, so if we wanna get some profit of our play time, there're xp pots for that!

oh true, almost forgot it

/not signed

if you want fresh buffs in every quest, spend the time buffing, if not, learn to survive w/o them

of course you can spend the time buffing and recover it using xp pots

Not so sure about ship buffs lasting 3 hours, but at least stopping the buff timer while you are inside a public instance would already be a great deal.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bbcjoke View Post
    stopping the buff timer while you are inside a public instance would already be a great deal.
    This would be my preferred solution.

Alternately permanent until death.

While we are at it, increase the house P buffs to 1 hr. They are weaker than available ship buffs so there is nothing unbalancing about letting them go as long as the ship buffs

Community Member

/signed

Ship buffs in their current form detract more than they add to the fun of the game. Redoing them every hour (or more often every 20-40min to ensure they last) is my least favorite part of the game. It is mindless and repetitive and also encourages speed running of quests (a play style I personally dislike unless necessary).

Of course they should disappear on death, but at the very least make them pause in public areas and/or (preferably and) last longer.

I get that nobody is forced to get ship buffs but they are there to be used. Ease of use is important.

I find your post funny psyko_peta; it comes across that to you the only and ultimate purpose of the game is exp/min and you project this onto others. The post you quote, and in fact all of the posts in this thread excluding yours say *nothing* about exp.

I believe most, or at least a large portion of people play the game to enjoy it in general, this includes acquiring exp and items but is not limited to it. Periodically performing boring repetitive actions doesn't add to anyone's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by darchow_the_raven View Post
    /signed

Ship buffs in their current form detract more than they add to the fun of the game. Redoing them every hour (or more often every 20-40min to ensure they last) is my least favorite part of the game. It is mindless and repetitive and also encourages speed running of quests (a play style I personally dislike unless necessary).
    /removes power-gamer hat . . .

Rebuffing removes ANY immersion into this game. It's just plain terrible.

Hey Turbine . . . you want to know why the FR never took off like you wish it had . . . this is a part of it.

Make ship-buffs last until death. period. End of discussion.

While I am not a fan of ship buffs (and immensely dislike that we can have 50 buffs at once) if we are going to have them, they really should pause in public areas just to eliminate the annoyance and aggravation of everyone waiting until the last moment to get them before a quest starts.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Time micromanagement sucks. I say make them last until death. Adding a "walk of shame" back to the ship upon death while your group continues on is amusing to me. If the intention of the ship buffs was to encourage me back to the ship occasionally, I'd suggest they find a more creative way to make the ship a social hub for guilds. Start by adding a teleport location for the guild ship. I absolutely loathe the thought that the store bought portals are the reason we don't have this yet. If it were possible to have all amenities on the ship, people would go there to sell/restock between quests. Add the guild vendors and enough space for auction, mailbox, tavern, etc. I'm not a fan of the guild buffs, but they are here to stay. Give me other non buff reasons to go to the ship.

I already have enough reasons to zerg a quest due to xp and loot pots. I'd like to see less "timer" elements in the game to encourage a slower pace for players that like that style. Players will still go fast, but for those that like a slower pace they aren't double penalized for it (lower xp/min combined with more ship trips/quest). I'm sure that someone will chime and and say that buffs aren't necessary and of course they are right. Try telling that to my wife, who at level 1 insists on beating down the dummy even though she knows the +2 to hit matters so little at that level that it might as well not even exist. It's a psychological thing. The buffs are there. Some players will have to hit them.
    Last edited by redspecter23; 06-06-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen