Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

If your going to TR then ya, otherwise if you heading for end game to stay and build up your destinies and all that then no. However that's not to say you shouldn't have GS clickies. Especially as a melee. I don't care if it's tring or end game. The dude who's rocking displace wins. 1.5 minutes of haste, stoneskin, raise dead, equipment switch outs to reduce elemental dmg, ect.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

Having just done a Rogue life, I went for the overlooked one in preperation: Radiance. It's incredible how powerfull a Radiance weapon with good crit profile can be. Blind enemies have a 50% miss rate if they swing at you and often run around aimless or shoot at nothing. This can reduce the incoming damage for the whole party a lot.
    Sure, fire damage isn't so great but the +4D6 light on a critical work fine and instead of Flaming Burst you can simply opt for 20% fire absorption.

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    Personally I've just been using an Elemental Greataxe of Fire from the Cannith challenges. It's not quite greensteel, but it serves a couple specific purposes while leveling. At level 10 it makes a great vampire beater for Shadow Crypt if I'm not on a caster life. At level 16 I just make a holy/bleed version (from the lv 12 weapon with masterful craftsmanship) to use until cap.
    The other sweet thing about the Cannith Challenge gear is that you can reduce the minimum level by 2 using a Shard of Masterful Craftmanship.

I find the L16 bow (crafted down to L14) to be an excellent general purpose bow.

Also, if you haven't already found it, this GS planner is excellent.
    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...roud/index.php
    Last edited by visibleman; 06-07-2013 at 07:17 AM.
    Argonessen: Breyard, Kayuss, Breymer, Vilar, Zhanmadao
    Guild: Fellowship of the Shrine
    Disclaimer: All my posts are in the official DnD language of Common. Common is not a standardised language, so if you think you see a spelling mistake - you are wrong!

Community Member

I had to jump in here to ask about putting the hp item in the boots slot. Anything else out there worth finding another spot for it?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kmankowski View Post
    I had to jump in here to ask about putting the hp item in the boots slot. Anything else out there worth finding another spot for it?
    I wouldn't put HP in the boot slot. That is better for combinations of Striding, Balance, Jump, Featherfall and Slippery Surface Immunity. I'd say Spiked Boots are the ideal item for capped characters, with the Cannith Boots of Propulsion as a swap-in for Feather Fall and the clicky. Good spots for HP on a melee are Goggles, Necklace and Belt.

I don't think GS weapons are worth making, outside of a 3+ Undead beater maybe. You level too fast even with mediocre weapons and once you get to the higher levels you have better random lootgen choices. Along the way you will probably find easily farmed on Casual named items that aren't too far behind GS.

The only items a melee really wants are a HP item/Displacement clicky. Besdes the game won't last too much longer so want to get as much actual playing time in as you can before it gets cancelled. What this game has become isn't worth putting any major planning into anymore.

It would be hard to say without knowing your gear layout and build goals. But right off the top of my head I would say that the treads of falling shadow are a very nice item. Next update, who knows. One of the problems with greensteel gear is that with every update your optimal gear layout will get switched around and it might conflict with what you've invested a lot into crafting. While true of any gear layout and update, greensteel feels a little harder to recraft and consistently fills niches not covered by new gear. So you end up remaking an item that you already have and may need to run 20 times to get a new essence of cleansing if you wanted to slot two items. But don't worry, the Turbine Store has you covered there naturally.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paleus View Post
    It would be hard to say without knowing your gear layout and build goals. But right off the top of my head I would say that the treads of falling shadow are a very nice item. Next update, who knows. One of the problems with greensteel gear is that with every update your optimal gear layout will get switched around and it might conflict with what you've invested a lot into crafting. While true of any gear layout and update, greensteel feels a little harder to recraft and consistently fills niches not covered by new gear. So you end up remaking an item that you already have and may need to run 20 times to get a new essence of cleansing if you wanted to slot two items. But don't worry, the Turbine Store has you covered there naturally.
    Thanks for the replies. It's very tough to decide because I plan on running more melee lives. I'm a monk now with the Sun Soul set taking up belt and bracers. I do plan on ending as a rogue though with Tinker's taking my goggles and gloves slots for a bit. And I love Golden Guile at the neck slot. That's why I thought boots...

Thanks for the replies. It's very tough to decide because I plan on running more melee lives. I'm a monk now with the Sun Soul set taking up belt and bracers.
    You're getting your epic and heroic gear mixed up. GS 12-20, Sun Soul 20+

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luxgolg View Post
    You're getting your epic and heroic gear mixed up. GS 12-20, Sun Soul 20+
    I would like to wear at least the 45 hp item past 20. Yeah, the rest of the GS pieces seem to get outdated, but the hps (if they stack with epic gear) seem to be worth it.

Some of the epic gear has Elemental Energy on it already. Be sure to check, because that stuff is the HP from a GS item.

(Turbine really doesn't want months of grinding to be mandatory just to play standard content, so they did take measures against that.)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fmalfeas View Post
    Some of the epic gear has Elemental Energy on it already. Be sure to check, because that stuff is the HP from a GS item.

(Turbine really doesn't want months of grinding to be mandatory just to play standard content, so they did take measures against that.)
    Very cool. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleus View Post
    Next update, who knows. One of the problems with greensteel gear is that with every update your optimal gear layout will get switched around and it might conflict with what you've invested a lot into crafting. While true of any gear layout and update, greensteel feels a little harder to recraft and consistently fills niches not covered by new gear. So you end up remaking an item that you already have and may need to run 20 times to get a new essence of cleansing if you wanted to slot two items. But don't worry, the Turbine Store has you covered there naturally.
    This is one of the reasons why I even asked this question in the first place with all the epic elite items that are available it makes me wonder if it is worth it but that is end game only so if green steel weapons make getting from 12-20 easier then I am all for it! Once I get to about level 15 or so I start to struggle running things on Elite due to the difficulty jump in quests further up, Coal Chamber isn't bad really but some of the others in The Vale are a nightmare for me (Running With The Devils springs to mind).

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post

GS weapons garbage at 20+. GS HP or SP accessory is still fine of course.
    No, gs trip pos maul is still the best for undead.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    No, gs trip pos maul is still the best for undead.
    But only really worth making anymore because it's single shard and you already have a HP/Displacement item, a Raise Dead clicky/CHA skills item and spare GS mats. A Cannith crafted weapon, random lootgen weapon, Mournlode Maul, or Fury of the Flame are all perfectly fine Undead beaters. You could probably get all those more easily than a 3+ maul, although if you're doing EE's and raids you would want one because they are max DPS.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by mons View Post
    I actually prefer Min II over Lit II for several reasons:

- Its a DR Breaker from the Metalline +Holy
    - Saves you a feat from it being Keen (Improved Crit)
    - Acid/Holy/Acid works on just about everything regardless

We are talking Heroic levels here so the 600 damage from a lightning strike is overkill imo, not that it procs consistently either. Level 12-18 it serves its purpose, anything higher than that is a stretch.
    was thinking about this myself. pretty new to GS crafting and only want a few pieces for TR purposes. so trying to figure out the best bang for the buck and this thread has been very useful. thinking

belt - smoke +hp - not seeing too much better in a belt slot

undead beater - was leaning towards the Mournlode maul, easier to farm that than a triple positive but the idea someone posted about going with a trip positive Q-staff is worth a thought. will have to decide how many times I would be running through a life that wouldn't have proficiency with a maul and use it in melee

general purpose weapon for melee - was going to go with the obvious LitII but had also thought about going MinII instead for the metalline + good combination. my original plan was a LitII and a swap to the Elemental Great axe (lvl 16 reduced to 14) and slotted to add Good damage as a DR breaker.

is it worth the extra farming to get GS trip positive over a Mournlode, if I go with a maul as an undead beater? for levels 12 - around 20, is a MinII enough DPS + DR beater wrapped up in 1 weapon instead of switching between a LitII + the elemental axe?

I have some of the new items for the 20+ game on melees, so just looking to make the 14 - 20 levels a bit easier

thanks

If you plan on TR'ing the toon a fair amount then I would say go with the quarter staff depending on what past lives you are doing, if the ones you are doing all get proficiency then go with the maul. I'm making the staff because all classes can use quarter staff without penalty so it could be used even on a wizard (now theres a mental image... quite amusing!).

As for LitII over MinII I have no idea, does anybody know the content where this type of DR breaking is needed? I know Harry is silver/good and LoB is good/adamantine and it would be pretty good in Shavarath quests I think but don't quote on me that as it could be wrong.

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    If you plan on TR'ing the toon a fair amount then I would say go with the quarter staff depending on what past lives you are doing, if the ones you are doing all get proficiency then go with the maul. I'm making the staff because all classes can use quarter staff without penalty so it could be used even on a wizard (now theres a mental image... quite amusing!).

As for LitII over MinII I have no idea, does anybody know the content where this type of DR breaking is needed? I know Harry is silver/good and LoB is good/adamantine and it would be pretty good in Shavarath quests I think but don't quote on me that as it could be wrong.

Stoner81.
    leveling to 20, ill take the Lit II over Min II. you don't see anything really that you need to bypass DR until the upper levels like level 18ish. in that range its mainly boss types like Hound, Suulo, and Harry. for trash in Amrath, I will still take Lit II over Min II because I don't believe there are yellow numbers for DR. for Cannith I would use a Construct Bane weapon over Min II. its seems to do better damage.

as far as if its worth crafting green steel? if you plan on TRing at least a few times, its definitely worth it. if you plan on playing other characters and don't mind running Vale and Shroud for ingredients, than you can still pass them to a new character. just need to get the BTC shards on that character which isn't usually too hard to get. drop rates aren't bad, 20th reward lists could have them, they drop in Amrath and DA and theres usually some people in the Shroud group putting them up for roll. I still think green steel is hands down better than random gen loot and a lot of the named loot pre-20. from 20 and beyond, theres some epic weapons that are better and there are some wanna be green steel random loot that can drop. triple pos I think are better than the undead beaters you can get too.

Quote Originally Posted by kendo View Post
    was thinking about this myself. pretty new to GS crafting and only want a few pieces for TR purposes. so trying to figure out the best bang for the buck and this thread has been very useful. thinking

belt - smoke +hp - not seeing too much better in a belt slot

undead beater - was leaning towards the Mournlode maul, easier to farm that than a triple positive but the idea someone posted about going with a trip positive Q-staff is worth a thought. will have to decide how many times I would be running through a life that wouldn't have proficiency with a maul and use it in melee

general purpose weapon for melee - was going to go with the obvious LitII but had also thought about going MinII instead for the metalline + good combination. my original plan was a LitII and a swap to the Elemental Great axe (lvl 16 reduced to 14) and slotted to add Good damage as a DR breaker.

is it worth the extra farming to get GS trip positive over a Mournlode, if I go with a maul as an undead beater? for levels 12 - around 20, is a MinII enough DPS + DR beater wrapped up in 1 weapon instead of switching between a LitII + the elemental axe?

I have some of the new items for the 20+ game on melees, so just looking to make the 14 - 20 levels a bit easier

thanks

If ya have the ingredients, go for it m8, I just use holy of greater undead bane warhammers/maces. Its only heroic levels.
    Zerg of Thelanis

Nepalm - 27th life completionist ~ Mons
    ~ Pandomonium - 40th life Tripletionist™

Tyrs Paladium of Ghallanda

A small warning might be in place, if you are a two weapon fighter in stead of a two handed fighter or instead of a sword+board kinda guy it will take you twice as long to gather all the ingredients.

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123